Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Endless Excellent Classic Action - Allie Fung

Date
January 5, 2011

Miracler
Dr. Alberta Fung

Location
Rockridge, CA

Road tested
You guys are in for a poptastic treat here, as today brings us the Miracler of A World of Fine Dining and Miracles from Oct. ‘09, garnerer of "This is ridiculous: you speak my language, but in another tongue—if that makes sense," "So much electro pop sentiment! Thank you thank you," "Good lord, I think you might be my musical soulmate," "Chockfull of sugary goodness," and "A bunch of these songs are now on my lunchtime walk playlist, so your mix is contributing to my vascular health, mental health, appreciation of nature and sunshine, etc...However, you owe me for a new pair of shoes."

Then there was that mix back in Dec. '08, which inspired "F*CK YES!," "Woweeeee!," "Outrageously delectable," and other such sentiments. So if you're okay with superlatively fantastic pop, check it owwwwwt.

Liner Notes
Magic (feat. Rivers Cuomo) - a mix of '80's pop and hip hop? I'm in.

Crown on the Ground - this gem from the darling of the 2010 alt scene makes me think DMX

White Night - Supergrass? Is that you?

Fuck You - If you know me, you know this is my favorite phrase besides "I'll have another"

24 Hours - Can a song encapsulate the walk of shame? Yes, yes it can.

Scissor Runner - I was going to say something clever like "If Rilo Kiley and ______ had a baby" but Jonathan Rice is a solo artist. So that doesn't work.

Come Home - Where did you hear this before? Ipod commercial. Deal with it.

Animal Arithmetic - Sigor Ros puts me to sleep but Jonsi ... awesome.

Live in Dreams - Tip of the cap, Pete Kellen for introducing me to Wild Nothing

Maybe Lately - More like a Beach Boys mash-up

We Used to Wait - I can't believe this is the first Arcade Fire song that I've had in any of my 3MPMP "mixes". Check out their interactive video for this song http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

Momma's Boy - Okay, if Joe Jackson and Rick Springfield had a baby, it would be this song.

One Life Stand - Jeff Morris thinks Alexis Taylor has the voice of an angel. I don't disagree.

Blank Slate - I've heard grown men say that Matt Berninger voice makes them melt. I don't disagree.

Mix is up; same password. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.

You commenting enough to stay in the group? Should be once a month, y'all, so don't forget to shout out to your compatriots.

See you back here THIS FRIDAY, as we present Toby Barlow's "RIP 2010" memorial mix of artists lost last year.

Awwwwyeahhhh,
XOK

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was mad at Cee-Lo for doing a clean version and, worse, yet, allowing those no-talent ass clowns on Glee to do an even cleaner version. But after hearing the original again, all is forgiven.

Love the rest of the mix too. Although I'm still trying to figure out how you broke into my iTunes. Don't be surprised when next week's mix sounds just like this. Albeit with different artists.

-- kellen

Tim said...

"Fuck You" is the shit. Thanks for including it, Allie. It's right up there with the best fuck yous of all time, including Nilsson's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KHZZwAoKoE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

With morbid curiosity I must now seek out the "clean" versions.

***

LOVE the cover. Shiny! Busorama!

Tim said...

Actually?

The "Forget You" version is kind of saved by having a kid lip-synching it on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxodgpyGec

Allie said...

I need to thank Mr. Jeff Morris for creating such an awesome cover as inspired by my obsession with Bejeweled.

Unknown said...

I especially like "Crown on the Ground", "24 Hours" and "Animal Arithmetic"...all new music to my ears!

Steven has-a-mix-crush-on-Allie-Fung T(rujillo) said...

Holy awesome. This is all just so fantastically perfect. You went through my head and addressed my musical desires. Favorites: all. Oh, and I second the endorsement for http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

Steven has-a-mix-crush-on-Allie-Fung T(rujillo) said...

Well, not *all* my musical desires. But a coherent sweet spot thereof.

Toby said...

Now it's official: I always love, love, love your mixes.

Kelly Niland said...

I know--I'm at the point where I crack open a new Allie mix and just automatically 5-star the whole thing.

Sam K. said...

I enjoyed the post-punk pop influencedness, from Arcade Fire's Big Country melody guitar to The National's post-Sisters of Mercy vocals. Thanks for sharing, Allie!

:)

Kelly Niland said...

PS: Is "Magic" the "Hey Ya" for 2011?

alix said...

I downloaded this and immediately popped it on as I puttered around the house. Fifteen minutes later I was wondering why I was go go dancing as I washed the dishes and realized I had been hopping to this mix all over the kitchen. My first Allie mix....and I love it. Way to represent the East Bay lady....

A

arthurb said...

Bright shiny mix, and lots of stuff I've never heard, although I had a Beach Boys flashforward Deja Vu moment on Maybe Lately, makes you wonder what could have been if Brian , Carl etc. hadn't Kokomoed their minds! Thanks for the mix!

alix said...

UPDATE: You will be pleased to know that in order to remember the title of this mix I had to say, "Wait, what does the Bejewlled guy always say? oh yeah EXCELLENT."

Love it even more on my second day of listening.

And yes I said "Excellent" in the Bewjelled guy Deep Voice

Laura said...

Allie, I feel like your mixes always clue me in to what the young people are listening to these days. Otherwise I wouldn't know till I heard the song turn up on "Glee" a year later ...

Allie said...

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I was afraid it was a little too pop-y this year and not indie enough. Goes to show that a injection of pop is what's needed sometimes.

Oh and Laura, "Fuck You" already ended up on Glee like 2 months ago so you're ahead of the curve this time!

stephen said...

Sorry for my late post. I really like the Chappo song, and I'm loving the whole Wild Nothings album. And I have to admit, "Fuck You" is pretty infectious; just saw a video of a girl performing it with sign language. She looked funky doing it. Thanks as always for a bundle of sweetness!

Kelly Niland said...

Okay, this is pretty fun: sign language to Cee Lo. Thanks to Alexandra T for sending it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3tadz5Q3o

XOK

Doug said...

Thank you, Allie. Another stellar mix. Currently in heavy rotation in my VW. Okay, maybe I don't need to hear another song by The National for awhile, but goddamn – this whole set just makes me happy.

peter b said...

Well, I'm far behind in my 3MPM music listening and finally got around to enjoying this lively, lively mix. Dig that '24 Hours' track - that chorus sticks in my head like glue - in a good way.

sarah e said...

A-Dog, I am catching up on my mixes and yours ROCKS! I bypassed today's exercise and had a solo AM dance party, pajamas et al. High Octane BPE = beats per espresso shots. S-Dog