October 31, 2012
Miracler
Ahmed Bayoumi
Location
Toronto, Canada
What's it take to score an invitation into such a cool crowd as ours?
An email like this: "Hi — I'm a friend of Doug Patterson. I've been lurking on this group but would really like in. I will be active and will try to live up to the cool of the group. — Ahmed" I mean, how could I refuse—what credentials do I need after lurking, F.O.D., and the promise to be both active and cool? HE'S IN. Too bad the poor guy had to wait almost a year to get to the living-up-to-the-cool part. I rather say he has spent that time well. Being that Ahmed is our sole Canadian member these days, he has chosen a rather unique and ownable theme: What happens when Funk meets the Great White North. Having spent some time with it now, I can say: WELCOME TO THE PRODGE, AHMED.
1. Can't Stop / Jacksoul 4:00
2. Rocksteady / Remy Shand 3:33
3. Riddim An' Hardtimes / Lillian Allen 4:56
4. Life of Crime / Villains 2:27
5. Grand Funk / Jackie Mittoo 2:59
6. Ya Basta / The Souljazz Orchestra 3:42
7. He's the Drummer / The Shuffle Demons 3:12
8. Words / Abdominal and The Obliques 2:56
9. Crabbuckit / K-OS 3:49
10. Fatima / K'naan 5:02
11. New Orleans / Mighty Popo 3:13
12. Bargain! Shop Panties / Little Miss Higgins 5:04
Liner Notes by ABI found my 3MPMP debut more nerve-wracking than I anticipated. The
standards are high. I floated lots of ideas. One of my children
suggested I put together a mix called "Songs I like but my Daughter
Doesn't" but there were way too many potentials for that one. In the
end, I decided to put together a mix of songs that were both close to
home and hopefully somewhat novel. You might not think of Canada as
particularly funky, but there is a history of immigration and
experimentation. I tried to avoid the obvious (Drake) but couldn't
neglect K'naan.
Can't Stop / Jacksoul: Lead sing Haydain Neale died 3 years ago at age
39 of lung cancer. This was one of their biggest hits in Canada
although apparently never charged on Billboard.
Rocksteady / Remy Shand: White boy from the Canadian prairies channels
old soul, puts out one record 10 years ago on Motown, and then
disappears.
Riddim An' Hardtimes / Lillian Allen: In 1979, Toronto police shot two
unarmed black men, one of whom is remembered in this song. Political
activism followed, including the emergence of angry dub poetry.
Life of Crime / Villains: The Villains moved from England to Vancouver
in the 1980s, became really popular for a short time, and then
disappeared. I was underage but got into the local bar in my hometown
when they came and partied.
Grand Funk / Jackie Mittoo: Many Jamaicans moved to Toronto in the
1960s and 1970s. Many of them are still playing, mostly in reggae
bands. Jackie Mittoo moved back and forth. He died at age 42 of
cancer.
Ya Basta / The Souljazz Orchestra: Toronto is the most multicultural
city on earth according to the UN. Good things result. This is from
their recent album.
He's the Drummer / The Shuffle Demons: The Demons went 20 years
between albums. One of the orignal saxophonists left and it shows, but
they still know how to have fun.
Words / Abdominal and The Obliques: Middle-class Jewish-Canadian kid
performs self-described "middle-age" rap. One song on his new album,
Sitting Music, features his mother.
Crabbuckit / K-OS: An enormous Canadian hit. k-os is a
second-generation Canadian, born in and singing about Toronto.
Fatima / K'naan: A celebration.
New Orleans / Mighty Popo: He also plays in a band called The African
Guitar Summit, originally assembled as a collection of ex-patriate
African musicians for a Canadian radio special but still going.
Bargain! Shop Panties / Little Miss Higgins: White girl from the
Canadian prairies channels Memphis Minne.
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

12 comments:
AHMED!!!!
!!!!!
What a great mix. I was just hanging around the house, listening and found myself doing the odd shuffle-walk that causes my dog to look at me with concern. The Remy Shand cut is deliciously reminiscent of Al Green. The Jackie Mittoo cut is worth it just for the guitar sound, wow. I think the Shuffle Demons cut wins my vote for best of mix. Such a great song. And Little Miss Higgins was a perfect way to end the mix. Well done, Ahmed.
welcome aboard, Ahmed!
An enjoyable mix. I am thoroughly funked. Jacksoul and K'naan are among my favorites.
thank you!
These other comments are incorrect; it's all about de Riddim An' Hardtimes. That's got some nice early 80's aggression running on a high heat. Like me some Crabbuckit too. Nice mix and welcome Ahmed!
Yeah, Crabbukit stays with me. It sounds like a Dude Janelle Monae over the Cure's Love Cats bassline. All in the best ways.
Now this is precisely what is required to kick-start my Monday morning. Funk from Canada, who'd have thought it?! Like Kelly, love the Crabuckit song for starters.
Paul Rhodes
This mix put a hump in my back and forced me to shake my sacroiliac-- many thanks, and welcome!
One can never have too much Mittoo in the library so I was more than pleased to add this number to the others. And, though I'm somewhat abashed to admit it, Bargain Shop Panties was a big hit here in Schloss Fritz.
I'm finding the organ on the Remy Shand cut rather alluring. But about that synthesizer...
Jackie Mittoo is kiilin' it. As are Villians, The Souljazz Orchestra, K-OS, and Jacksoul (although I think Lisa Stansfield should try covering "Can't Stop").
"Riddim An' Hardtimes" scares me. Plus, I take offense at the spelling.
Like the rhymes from Abdominal and the Obliques.
Thanks, friend!
Riddim An' Hardtimes! Crabbuckit! Ya Basta!
Nice mix, good stuff. Welcome to the prodge.
"Words" is so practically beautiful in an unrepentant nerdy way. Reminds me of school house rock. I just wish I could edit the nasty part in the beginning, cause then I would play it constantly for my kids.
I dig Crabbuckit and Riddim' also! But I have to disagree with you and K'naan, I can't celebrate - Fatima is heartbreaking. But his songs always make me tear up with emotion. That's way the get such heavy play over here.
Thanks for the Mix Ahmed, and welcome to the 3mpm prodge!
Awakening memories of fun teen times in Toronto. Diggin' the Riddim an' Hardtimes, Ya Basta, He's the Drummer (somehow really working for me), Crabbuckit (KN's description spot on), and the Schoolhouse-Rock-for-the-aughts vibe of Words (is anyone else feelin' that?).
And picturing Hellen Buttigieg rockin' out to Bargain! Shop Panties. Thanks.
Canadian African sambas and such. Who knew? Particularly enjoyed the Shuffle Demons and K-OS. On first listen. I'm sure I'll find more to grow on me. ALL knew to me, which shouldn't be such a shock - but I think it's the first time I haven't at least heard of one of the bands.
Post a Comment