Friday, August 22, 2014

LADIES!

Date
August 22, 2014

Miracler
Peter Byer

Location
Arlington, VA

LLPB!
And precisely why do they? Well, one, he's a fab illustrator (see covers for previous mixes Music for Car Chases from Feb. 2012 and Nov. '10's A Motley Mess). For another, he makes us rad mixes (see above and below). And, he has exquisite taste in chocolate bars. Ain't that enough? 

Things you said about Music for Car Chases
Wow. This mix is like a slap in the face, a hug, and a kick in the ass....all rolled into one. Del Reeves, Dave Dudley and The Willis Boys were really fun. Also dug Yo La and Giant Drag....  /  Holy crap, Peter! I was expecting incidental movie music, not a highly-curated, thoughtful, genre-hopping set. And you did it all without Commander Cody! Thank you.  /  Great stuff on here. The perfect mix of rough and smooth pavement to keep this chase interesting, with enough twists and turns. Have to check out more of the Duke Spirit. Love that Minus 5 and the stoney Fu's!  /  Slip me some skin, Daddy-o! You're one hep cat, Peter, and this is one swingin mix. I've nicknamed it "Music to make you feel really fucking cool." Solid.  /  Great idea, well executed. Love the cover!  /  Peter, you had me at the theme'n'artwork. Then you opened with The Jam: I love it already! But then the rest of the trip proved every bit as fun as I expected it to be. Thank you!  /  Love how you smacked us around and then after you wrung us ragged, you let us soar Thelma and Louise style with a little perdy Hope Sandoval. I haven't listened to Mazz Star in ages and loved it.  /  Le CarVan? Funny cover, Peter. "State Trooper' is haunting. Dave Dudley and Junior Brown in the mix! "Two Six Packs Away" is a hoot. Ya gotta wonder, though, is his honey *really* waiting for her 16-wheeled DUI miscreant to get home? Your last mix introduced these ears to The Duke Sprit, and thanks for that. The Missus and The Boy and I got to see the Fleshtones in Austin last March. The time before that was 1981.  /  Peter and Keith challenged the audience to a push-up smack-down. The two pushing-60 Roman Gods got down on the floor, counting down against a twelve year-old kid... and they almost beat him. More YFF/Minus 5, please! That geetar in the Yo La Tengo song: NICE.  /  I felt a little like the car from Repo Man ended up in Smokey and the Bandit country. Lottsa twists and turns here, hitting the gas hard, then the brakes. Love the covers a ton and also Bruce's State Trooper, which carries one of my favorite lines of his-"maybe you got a kid, maybe you got a pretty wife. The only thing that I got, been bothering me my whole life."Poetry.  /  This is like a Kenneth Anger Soundtrack, Peter. Link Wray and Duane Eddy are pissed they missed the cut. I forgot all about Junior Brown, and Geez the Flat Duo Jets!  3mpm had been sorely missing some Gang Green. Thanks for the mixer!  /  Love the genre collision here. The chick singers take front and center for me: Duke Spirit is haunting. Never heard Hope Sandoval outside of Mazzy Star. Martina Topley-Bird is just so suave. As for non-singing stuff, the Mofos tune is my new favorite surf track...and "Blazing Smokestack" is a ton of fun.  /  Mofos are, indeed, mofos on guitar -- AND drums. Thanks for puttin' them in my pyooter./// Thanks also for the Hope song, Peter. Bells! Pretty little bells! /// Flat Duo Jets: The White Stripes of the 80s. Now for some Pylon?  /  What I learned from this mix is that I oughta listen to more garage rock and punk and go on more road trips (hopefully all together). A bumpy and rewarding ride! Thanks!  /  I have to admit at first I thought this mix was a little to agro for my head space. Turns out I was just waiting for the right situation i.e. person to come along an give me a reason to turn the stereo up real loud. Thanks Peter.

So if PB could make you feel that about car chases, imagine what he can do for today's topic. See for yerself!


Liner Notes by PB
Here's a compilation of all-women bands with a garage slant. You can probably fault me on some technicalities… There may have been some male studio musicians on a few records, or even male band members in the case of The Slits — I don't know. And some of the tracks are covers of songs originally done by guys. The 'Gloria' cover, with of all names 'M-E-L-V-I-N', gives me a chuckle. There are a few head-banging guilty pleasures too, including the heavy, 90s radio queens, L7. 'Mr. Integrity' even has bongos and a mid-song 'Planet Claire' riff. Well, I'm sure a list could be made of all-female rock acts that should have made the cut… Bananarama, etc. But hey, I tried my best people!
'Ladies' Track List
1 / Dear Mr. & Mrs. Troublemaker / All Girl Summer Fun Band
2 / John, I'm Only Dancing / Vivian Girls
3 / My Boyfriends Learning Karate / Thee Headcoatees
4 / Walkin' the Dog / The Luv’d Ones
5 / Tickle Bee / Budget Girls
6 / Play With Fire / Dum Dum Girls
7 / Shoplifting / The Slits
8 / Xx Sex (Demo) / We've Got A Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It
9 / Thirty-Thirty Vision / Slant 6
10 / C'mon Let's Go / Girlschool
11 / Mr. Integrity / L7
12 / What a Way to Die / The Pleasure Seekers
13 / Harlem Nocturne / The 5.6.7.8’s
14 / Melvin / The Belles
15 / Husbands / Savages
16 / Hurt For You / The Bobbyteens
17 / Ooh La Love / Baby Shakes
18 / Rainy Sunday / MAMAGUITAR


Mix is UPTo comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

15 comments:

Melissa said...

The opening song, the opening song, the opening song! All Girl Summer Fun Band is the perfect name for that group, and the tune took me back to the summer of...oh, 1982 or so.

I also really dug the Luv'd Ones song. Nice mix, and one that shows that girls can do anything that boys can, including make kick as music (of course, we knew that already, though).

Karl said...

This is one dynamite mix! Just perusing the track listing got me all excited, since I knew and loved several cuts already (Headcoatees, Slant 6 [a particular favorite], Budget Girls). The anticipation brought about by the inclusion of those songs was not unfulfilled, with new-to-me songs like those by All-Girl Summer Fun Band, Savages, and Girlschool making for good time driving with the windows down rock and roll!

fritz said...

Love this mix! Too many highlights to list them all-- this is going to be in heavy rotation for a while.

Sam said...

A nice musically cohesive mix, I especially like the Vivian Girls' & Headcoatees' tunes. And then to add the thematic element: that all of these tunes came with significant input from an underserved community: females! Well done, sir/ma'am!

Ray said...

So freakin' good and fun. Thanks so much!

Beth said...

Love the MAMAGUITAR sunshine pop tune, love the unexpected Bowie cover by the Vivian Girls, and it was great to see my pal Tina represented on here (The Bobbyteens). She is a musical hero of mine. I really appreciate the theme of this mix, and it was brilliantly executed -- thanks a bunch!

peter b said...

I certainly appreciate the comments folks. Many thanks.

Unknown said...

A really fun summer mix. I'm always a fan of Dum Dum Girls. And who can resist a song with Fuzzbox in the title? The whole mix holds together really well. Well done.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wes said...

First off, I love the cover. I remember watching old school Roller Derby when I was really young. Great start to the mix. I’d never heard of the band and it’s a super fun song. I really like the Vivian Girls cover. They did a great job with a great song. I was turned on to the Vivian Girls by one Rick Ridenour a few years back. The Luv’d Ones cut made me laugh. I think I’ve been in three different bands that had that song in the live set. Sometimes is was rockin’, sometimes it was just silly. The Budget Girls cut is fantastic. Such a great guitar sound and urgent rhythm. The Dum Dum Girls cut is great. They are playing Rifflandia in Victoria, BC on the 11th. I’m going to try and make it. We’ve Got a Fuzzbox and We’re Gonna Use It might be the best band name ever. The Slant 6 song is fantastic. What a great groove. Same thing with the Girlschool cut. So much fun. I saw L7 play Bogarts in Cincinnati years ago and it was a great, super sweaty show. What a treat to see The Pleasure Seekers on this mix. What a great sound. I’ve been such a fan of the 5.6.7.8s. This is a great song. The Belles’ cut is wonderful. I love the take on another great song. I really like the Baby Shakes song too. Mamaguitar was a perfect way to end the mix. Thanks, Peter

alix said...

How did this mix slip through the cracks for me? I just realized it was posted on my birthday, even more awesome (for me, haha). Fan-freakin' tastic Peter....so much to love on here. Lots of things I already loved but even more great tunes that are new to me...Mamaguitar, Budget Girls, Vivian Girls. I'm also feeling kinda old right now, as I'm remember I saw L7 back in the 90s at the Kennel Club and it feels like A MILLION YEARS AGO. Sigh. Thanks Peter!

Doug said...

Seriously. It's great, isn't it? Admittedly, this kind of sound (stripped down, girl groups, reverb) is right in my wheelhouse. But if that weren't enough, half a dozen bands I'd never heard of. Thank you, Peter. Thank you, Prodge.

ST said...

Who knew a prodge mix would send me back down a Fuzzbox-listening wormhole for a somewhat lost weekend? Well, pretty much everyone in the prodge, I suppose. My largely rhetorical question is where one finds demo versions from said band. Brilliant Mr. Byer.

Gioia said...

Great cover! Compelling mix. My faves would be Rainy Sunday (intrigued by this band), and of course, Melvin. Thanks Peter!

Van B said...

This is a fantastic girrl sampling. The Girlschool and Baby Shakes' tracks are my favorites. Thanks!