DateNovember 17, 2010
Miracler
Peter Byer
Location
Arlington, VA
Note by PB
Here's a schizo-phrenic mix of syrupy ballads and stinky garage with some odds-n-ends in between.
Who is PB?
Known among other things as The Standing Drummer for "The Lunch"at Your Hostess' art skool alma mater (and beyond) and now a working illustrator, Peter has brought us a raucous mix of bands new/rare to the Prodge, like Bettie Serveert, Opal, Low, Young Fresh Fellows, The Sadies, and...oh, well, just go find out for yourself.
Mix is up; same new password from last week. See you back here or on our always-amazing, members-only Facebook page soon. XOK
12 comments:
Motely: good word and apropos. Hard angles keeps one on one's toes.
Why does The Duke Spirit sound like I've always known it, that it's always been playing in my mind? Is it the ghost of Mazzy Star?
Dig the Slant 6, like a kinetic Sleater Kinney.
The adorable Sadies. And the delectable Thrushes — all dreamy and cool and intense.
And a very nice ending to the mix.
Thanks!
"When The Girls Get Here" I haven't heard that song in years. Everything from that album, "The Men Who Loved Music" is fantastic. Great way to start a fine mix.
Nice snotty vibe, Peter. Dwarves reminds me that there's a wing of pop we don't hear much from: Dwarves, Misfits (here's Evan Dando w/ a SWPL version of Skulls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v52V1wF0z0 ), Mummies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yppWiHZaOm8&feature=related , etc. Thanks for sharing.
YFF, Opal, Bettie Serveert, Low, Dwarves, Thelonius Monster - bands that have come and gone from my heavy rotation column. This mix gave me flashbacks to memories I've stored in the archives of my brian. Thanks!!
I haven't got through it yet but I already have a comment --"When the girls get here" put a smile on my face! :) Good memories.
Sam,
Thanks for the excellent video links. Oh yeah, I do dig Mummies! Never got to see them live though. A band that didn't take itself too seriously ... AND wore full-on mummy garb is A-OK in my book.
Good to see a couple YFF fans here. Yup, a large part of this mix is dated, much like my middle-aged body. It's a bit dopey and immature too, but this is stuff that still gets a lot of play in my headphones. So there you have it.
'Nother YFF fan. Gotta weakness for that Hillbilly Drummer Girl, myself.
The Sammy Hagar Weekend title is so funny-- almost don't need to hear the song itself. Hagar is, of course, one douche-y dude, but he was so essential to the grandeur of that first Montrose album that he must be forgiven for not obeying speed limits. Bad Motor Scooter at Winterland in 1974, y'all!
Low and The Duke Spirit go so well with Opal. More oldster memories: catching the Dream Syndicate at the I-Beam.
Tasty cover art!
Reverend Beat-man. Sounds like Flat Duo Jets and The Fleshtones had themselves a baby.
yea, good start with those YFF.
Ah, that last one was from me. Hi everyone.
Gotta agree with the 3MPMP masses - "When the Girls Get Here" is a gem. Also knocked silly by my first ever encounter with The Unknown Hinson - reminds me of the way the Supersuckers do country. And love the mini-morphine mix of Low, Duke Sprit, Opal and Bettie Serveert.
I'm way behind in my listening, but I gave this mix #1 priority last week. I hadn't heard that YFF opener, really great. I suppose my feeling overall is that I like the sincere tunes best. xo -cvs
Post a Comment