Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NOW

Date
November 3, 2010

Miracler
Kelly Niland

Location
San Francisco

About this mix
As you've come to expect from Your Hostess, this mix contains high levels of high-fructose musical corn syrup, with special emphasis on major notes, pounding piano, and tambourine. Artists include Ween (again!), Kelley Stoltz, Os Mutantes, God Help the Girl, and Best Concert Band of 2010, Teenage Fanclub. And so, so much more.

About KN
Your Hostess recently converted from Crazy Cat Lady to Crazy Dog Lady and hasn't looked back.

Mix is up. New password; check yer email. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. And Welcome to Season 4!
XOK

33 comments:

Jeanne-Marie said...

instant fun!

Jeanne-Marie said...

did you break one of your rules here, red head?

kelly Niland said...

Which rule? There's no rule against too much pounding piano...Oops: Did I repeat a song? Say it ain't so.

stephen said...

That last track is amazing! Wherever did you find it? And who knew that Kelly Stoltz sounded like the Beach Boys? Great mix!

alix said...

I've already listened to this twice in a row as I lament missing the Giant's Parade!!!!!! Love it....and some new cool discoveries too (The Tiger Lilies! God Help the Girl!).

What a way to kick it off (and might I say, sweet album artwork too, lady lady).

xo

alix said...

Shoot. I don't know how to change my "Name" on this commenting. It's Alex. Which you know. But to others, Strawberry Lemonade is my blog. So uh, yeah. That's why my name is popping up like that.

: )
Alex

Daniel Coffeen said...

Candy through and through! I didn't know Belle & Sebastian could be so butch (relatively speaking).

The Tiger Lillies: so dreamy plaintive heroin cool.

(I'd love to see Ween on every mix!)

The Dr. Dog, the Mates of State, and the awesome Os Mutantes.

A delectable beginning, thank you.

Tex said...

Dig opening with the Who rarity, Kelly. Even in the most nascent of Who Ages all of the personalities are decidedly in place-- "Who" else could be playing THAT bass but John "The Ox" Entwistle?

Bookends a mighty mix makes. Love The Tiger Lilies' closer. That's the way it goes, indeedy-do.

Thanks for hippin' this new fan to Kelley Stoltz. Beach Boys music without the matching high-waisted chinos?

Lookin' forward to more discoveries in Season Four.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Maybe you put Kelley Stoltz on a different mix that was just for me? In any case it's a great song and I love this mix.

xox

Monnix said...

That Belle and Sebastian track hits my pop-spot dead on! In fact, the entire mix has a very upbeat, positive vibe (pop candy for Halloween). Nice one!

Kelly Niland said...

Thanks, guys—glad you're digging it. A few notes on some artists:

Kelley Stoltz is great, and super-local—lives around the corner from us. His other stuff is less Beach Boys-ie and also excellent. JMHG, I think he once showed up on a just-for-you mix.

God Help The Girl is really Belle and Sebastian, but with guest girl singers.

Dr. Dog is a fabulous band for whom I must thank Toby Barlow and Kevin Seidel for helping me get around their god-awful name to the genius behind it.

Last track was swiped (con permiso) from a mix CD Mr. Bramfitt made me. Thanks, Sweetie!

Tex, I'm thrilled that you like the bookends here. I agree, that stuff's crucial to a mix.

Thanks for the comments, Commenters!
XOK

fritz said...

Well, that shoots using that particular Who track for my mix. Back to the drawing board... ;-)

Enjoyed the Belle & Sebastian track very much.

Doug said...

Thanks, Kelly - a complete delight, not unlike its DJ. But isn't putting both B & S and God Help the Girl on the same mix cheating? And as the person responsible for introducing you to Teenage Fanclub, I guess it's now up to me to lead the Baby Lee intervention.

WEEN!!!

And that Kelly Stoltz song is tha bomb.

Doug said...

Oops - sorry Kelley. I never get Ric Ocasek's name right, either.

Kelly Niland said...

Oh, oops—Douglas Patterson, you are keerect—proper props are certainly due for introducing me to the Fanclub of teenagers. I owe you a candy bar now.

Now as for the B&S/GHTG question, there is actually no law on the Prodge books that says you can't repeat an artist on a mix. You just can't repeat a song that someone's used before. Besides that, anarchy rules here, baby.

WEEN!

XOK

Kevin Seidel said...

First off, a Who song I've never heard! Wow. Shoop shoop.

Also, every time I hear Teenage Fanclub, I wonder why I don't own anything from their discography. Any direction on an intro disc for a newbie.

Overall, a great sunny November playlist! Thanks Kelly.

kellen said...

loved the mix so much that i'm willing to overlook your outlandish choice for best concert band of 2010 (not that i've ever seen them or anything).

Sam K. said...

On my mix the T Rex song was labelled "Belle & Sebastian."

Nick Dedina said...

Sweet tunes though instead of calling yourself a Crazy Dog Lady why not go with Dangerously Dizzy & Delirious Dog Dame?

Toby said...

O really, Doug, you introduced Kelly to TF? The folks in legal would like to know if this was before or AFTER I put TF on my very first mix, waaaay back in season One, when I believe I also broke the Graham Parsons barrier with their cover of "Older Guys."

Great mix Lady, especially love the mix of new stuff with some 3MPM standards, like B&S and The Who, which makes me wonder just when The Kinks will be showing up in the new season (I almost did include them in the upcoming mix but then nixed my high concept collection for just a plain old mixed bag assortment.)

Van said...

What a great mix; not one deleter in the bunch.

Question: The opening chord progression in that Decembrists' song has always reminded me of some famous 60's or 70's era pop tune, but I have never been able to place it. Anyone?

Vanessa Belli said...

Thanks for the reminder about Kelly
Stoltz. Duhh!! And Os Mutants. Thought they were a dark metal nordic drone band. My bad.
It's all good ya'll.
xxo v

Doug said...

Toby darling,
I could be wrong about this, but I believe that I went before you in the first season, and I had Teenage Fanclub on my mix, too. But who cares, really? The important thing is that Kelly, you and I all love 'em. And, even more important than that: each other.

Steven T(rujillo) said...

I finally got to listen to this today. Nice mix of old-to-me and new-to-me. That Kelley Stoltz track spent much of the day on repeat. And cool art work.

Van - I have the same memory trigger with that Decemberists song. I'll keep investigating.

Kelly Niland said...

Van/Steven: Shambala, maybe? A little 3 Dog Night? FYI, this song appeared on Dave Tibbs' last 3MPM mix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpVS7D9AJs

I think that may be it!
XOK

Gioia said...

LOVE: Now, Angel Won't You Call Me, Baby Lee. So many great tunes on here. Kell, you never disappoint.

Van said...

Definitely Shambala by 3 Dog Night! Thank you.

And, that sort of explains why I would think of Shangri La whenever I listened to that Decembrists' song. Lyrics are a very fuzzy thing for me.

Peter said...

I have to shout a big "SWEEEET!" for the simply awesome cover art. Nice wrapper for the tasty inside, just got around to listening ... thank you Kelly for putting me in a damn fine mood.

Ray said...

Total upbeatedness! I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Also, good to hear the new TFC. I am deficient in picking that up.
Yay!

Dan Weber said...

Kelly, your "Now" mix was outstanding. The Belle and Sebastian track really hooked me. I've always been kind of on the fence about them, loving their melodies, just wishing they would crank up the rock and roll a bit. This one does it.

Also dig the Decemberists (reminds me of an old Tommy Tutone song called "Angel Say No". And Teenage Fanclub is one of my all-time favorites, but I'd never heard this one - thanks for the education!

sircvs said...

hello, happy to hear the sugar factory hasn't slowed its production pace. There's that song with the fast reverb decay!

Pepe Verde said...

Hi everybody! This is my first time on 3MPM, and boy I'm having a ball... Loved the whole set, many a box ticked; in particular I'm with Kevin --a Who song I didn't know for starters! Nice.

And BTW Kevin, for an intro to TFC (I know, guys: Teenage Fanclub is two words, but their acronym is TFC. Look it up!), the best option I think is "Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds: A Short Cut to Teenage Fanclub", which just does what it says in the tin; or if you don't want a compilation but prefer the best couple of their original albums, I'd say go for "Bandwagonesque" and "Grand Prix".

Casino Snacks said...

These fuckin’ kids and their hollowbody guitars and reverb. And they’re so cute! I wish I would’ve known about this when I was at the age of relevancy. Punk rock really screwed me.
Thanks for the mix, Niland. I’m a big fan of K. Stoltz and the whole Best Coast, Beach Boy scene.