September 25, 2015
Miracler
Sarah Egner
Location
España
A Big
Welcome Back
to a
Cherished
Miracler
One cool thing (of zillions) about this TWELVE-YEAR ENTERPRISE (with a couple breaks) is that along the way, we've picked up some fabulous Miraclers who at some point have to take a break for whatever life reason, but then later when the diapers/emo-breakdowns/third-world-road-trips/brushes-with-fame/plastic-surgery-recovery/at-home-detention-sans-wifi/social-media-sink-holes/jerk-bosses/infatuation-bordering-on-obsession/Minecraft-addiction/Giants-seasons have passed, we get 'em back again! Today we welcome back the mighty, the beloved, the ultra-sassy Season 1 pioneer Sarah Egner, who in addition to a couple of pre-blog mixes gave us, in February '11, Life-aholic, which Your Hostess had on repeat for a stunning amount of time, and fan favorite Just Say Midlife Crisis in June of '08. Sarah, now happily out of the diaper stage (funny, since she has no kids), now lives in wifi-friendly Spain where she steals local jobs, ignores mix length rules, and tries to get away with putting Sabotage on an electronica mix. Those crimes aside, I dare say it's the perfect Indian Summer Friday mix to take us out. ¡VIVA ECLECTRONICA!
Intro
For my re-entry mix, I thought I would work with a genre that really gets my feet moving, motivates me to press on challenging days, and by god,it has a beat and rhythm that you can dance to! Eclectronica: I heart drum & bass.That's right, hip-hop-meets-eltronica-djmagic-soundbyte-explosion-of-no-other-than-drum-and-basss-hot-diggity-dang-!-amen! I dug deep into my music collection and found several rare tracks that are begging to be shared, but most importantly, I want to share them with the likes of you!
Liner notes by SE
1. To Marseille from Paris - Dim's Megamix (Dimitri/Superfunk). For some reason, French dudes know how to rock a turntable. They take common top 40 and make it something artful and c'est magnifique! This track may sound like it was featured in "Bring it On” the movie, but it is your entry point to something more significant and beautiful.
2. On Stage, Broad Beans Mix (She Rockers). I am not going to lie, I first heard this when I was 18 and it changed me for life. Talk about some tour de force ladies (Yo Beyonce, you don’t know s*** about being fierce next to these women) and might I add, one of them went on to “Doin' The Do” - yeah that’s right, Betty Boo. Hail to the Sisters. Holler to Chewbacca!
3. Da da da - Est-ce qu'on s'cherche… (Ecran Total 80). Seriously, how could I pass this up? Weird, French, but totally important.
4. Because I Got It Like That - Ultimatum Mix (The Jungle Brothers / Fatboy Slim). Once a modest member of the Housemartins, now an iconic member of the dub/dj/electronic scene. BTW, the Jungle Brothers DO got it like that.
5. Brand New You're Retro (Tricky). From Massive Attack to Tricky Kid, I loved this guy and when he started in on speed rap/trip-hop, I thought I would lose my mind, but at last the drugs got him or err the Candida. Sad. The end (but still important).
6. Beat Dis (Bomb Da Bass). Homage to the Brutish British electro-dance movement. Samplifying and amplifying. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
7. Go Outside (Cults) Cute right? I love this song because it is sunny and light, but has a "get the hell up and go do something productive" quality to it. Passive aggressive pop dance style with some serious bass. Although I have been living outside the US for a a little over 3 years now, I am pretty sure that this song was probably used for an allergy commercial.
8. Noah's Ark (CocoRosie). I love my little sister and we have this crazy connection over this band -- mostly because we like to think we are the Egner Sister version of CocoRosie the super cool ecletric (i made that word up) light and dark sister effort. These girls are pure Kooky and crafty and legitimately full of grace. Plus they got that base line down nicely.
9. Mondo 77 (Looper). Belle & Sebastian and a tale of two Stuarts, one was a genius, one was envious. So the less talented Stuart bid his adieu’s and started Looper the next day. Looper may have lived a life span of a moth, but they left us this song as their legacy. I personally like the synth-brass.
10. On And On (Mackintosh Braun). Hall-n-Oats drummer's kid and a hipster who probably worked at a locally farmed roof top eco/bio/emo cafe in Portland, OR started a band and thought "hey lets get into electronica because we cannot grow ironic facial hair, so we will wear stuff from Nau and All Saints and only talk in French!” Ok, I am guessing a lot of this here (with the exception from the Hall-n-Oats drummer’s kid thing), but aside from all of that silly nonsense I used to put up with when I lived in Portland, I really this these entitled youth have something to be entitled about.
11. Feeling for you (Cassius). Yet another talented French Dude Duo! These guys worked with Mc Solaar, Daft Punk , Air, and Ghostface Killah just to name a few. My feelings for them have always been real.
12. The Truth feat. Roisin & J-Live (Handsome Boy Modeling School). Let's turn the lights down low and although gritty, you will love every second. The clientele these guys (HBMS) collaborate with would blow you mind.
13. Je suis le vent (Working for a Nuclear Free City). I believe the kids these days call this Nu Gaze, I just call it track number 13. There is something there and it reminds me of a post-industrial New Order meets Autechre, there is also some pretty guitar and Smith-esque breathing singing that makes it almost perfect.
14. A Brain In A Bottle (Thom Yorke). The first track off new album? How dare she…well she did. Enjoy because this is the best track on the entire album.
15. Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? (Moby). I just had to -- this song keep coming back to me. It is the perfect deep beat 4 minute pity party and half way through you are so motivated want to kick you own ass into greatness.
16. It’s Not Over (Panama). I once sat on a 7 hour train from Fez to Marrakesh only listening to this 6 song EP from Australia while I wrote, relaxed, starred off into space, and thought about my life. It was a steady beat and soothing sounds that flowed to infinity.
17. Rollin' On Chrome (Kruder & Dorfmeister). I am only going to say it once: Down-tempo-dub. Moving on, these Austrian guys are hands down my favorite Electronica group from the late 90’s. If you crave more check out the K&D sessions as your gateway eardrum beats-per-minute sound candy into this genre.
18. Sabotage (Beastie Boys). OH YEAH I DID! It may not be electronica, but it is are definitely not rap or hip-hip, but this track is RAD and I miss this band like the dickens! Hats off, homage to M.D.
19. The Young Mc (Superfunk). Zut Alors, the French again! Superfunk is my unsung hero when it comes to repetitive danceable beats and making tunr-tabling an art form. We started here, we will be ending here (well almost).
20. Musica Electronica, Remakeit Dance Rmx Radio Edit (Righeira). Words cannot describe the utter magic of this Italian Techno Duo, who sings half of their songs in Spanish (for some unknown reason). Who cares, they are big in Europe! Check out "Vamos Ala Playa” the video kills me everytime!
Cover Art - if you can call it that! Although it is an original picture taken in Brussels.
Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

18 comments:
Completely psyched, I am.
I am psyched too.
Just listened to the first track, but I gotta take a moment to say how I have loved Egner mixes from the first one out. Gal works mixes with Les Rita Mitsouko, Outkast, China Crisis and Discovery and Lupe Fiasco. Not backing down with The She Rockers. Aw yeah!
"Ladies and gentlemen....now for something completely different...." What a cool mix. You came out of the gates strong and funky—tracks 4, 5, 6 were a huge awesome flashback for me. I loved Jungle Brothers and Tricky, although I confess I hadn't listened to them in a while! Such a nice reminder of how much dancing was done to this very soundtrack!!). My favorite part was when the mix took a more groovy mellow turn (right after the Cults, who were new to me and totally adorable.) Again, another reminder of things I loved but haven't given a fair listen to in awhile. Oh Moby.....best pity party ever. So glad you did. Thanks Sarah!!!
Really enjoying this....
Whew! Now that I've recovered from the groove assault on this mix, I can comment. This was everything I like in a mix - not that I loved every song, or anything, but that it mixed familiar songs and styles with ones new to me in a seamless manner. I would have been hard pressed not to love this mix after The She Rockers' "On Stage" had me dancing (or at least what passes for dancing in my world) around my house. Great start, and then comfortingly youth-reminding jams like those from Jungle Brothers, Bomb the Bass, Beastie Boys (you're OK for including that one, as far as I'm concerned), and even the strange French version of one of my favorite songs ever (Da Da Da) kept the hits coming. Of the music with which I was unfamiliar, I particularly enjoyed the Mackintosh Braun song and the Cults one, and I am most definitely going to take your advice and explore more from Kruder & Dorfmeister!
This mix makes me SO HAPPY. Seriously. I am unable to comment in a coherent fashion right now as I am TOO DAMNED HAPPY. THANK YOU!
Love,
Doug
Thanks for the kind words people! It was a risky genre for the 3MPM crowd, but I am happy that you are happy.
I know I'm old and in the way, but I gotta admit that electronica is not my genre of choice. But that's the beauty of 3MPMP -- exposing yourself to mixes of music you wouldn't normally put in your ear buds. Given my proclivities toward lyrical and melodic arcs, I seemed to gravitate toward the songs on this mix that had those characteristics (like "The Truth"), though eventually there were songs where I just let the sound wash over me (duh, maybe that's the whole point?) and I really enjoyed them (e.g., "je suis le vent"). Thanks for the mix and I hope I rose adequately to the challenge! xo Beth
Pigeon-towed, socially awkward, a Housemartins over Fatboy Slim chooser, and inwardly enraged when the ladies choose douchey Euro trash DJs over actual human beings I found this mix... really quite nice!
LOVED the She Rockers cut, having fun with the Trio Da Da Da French Pat Boone cover and giving it up for local SF Handsome Boys Modeling School.
The eternal 15 year old inside me very thrilled with the post-punk revival Je Suis Le Vent. Ironically, this was exactly the kind of stuff I listened to in 1983/84 when I was stuck on Moroccan trains (usually Rabat to Meknes)by myself for hours on end at a dangerous age.
my first thought is that this is gonna give me a headache, but when the jams kick in on track 2, i was into it. and any cover of trio's fantastic 'da da da' is right in my book, by the way.
normally not my thing all the way through, but i have a soft spot for the egg.
and good on you for putting 'sabotage' on here. don't let the naysayers get you down.
So my closing line to Ms Niland on this mix was "Welter is going to hate this", so I am pleasantly surprised and my job here is done. :) Word on the Beasties Boys Pepi - haters gonna hate. Patches out.
Thanks Sarah. I love when the envelope gets pushed out for genres on 3mpmp. I was up and down on all the choices, but most of the downs were for tracks I've just historically heard too much of and they never really clicked - Looper for one. BUT, the ups covered some great ground - The She Rockers (mentioned many times here), Tricky, Bomb the Bass, Handsome Boy, Je Suis, Yorke's tune, always K&D, and double always the Beasties.
Hey everyone, hola Sarah,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to the fold -- the month preceding my company's annual mid-October deadline is always a bit of a life-sucking black hole. But yay we survived! :)
Sarah, thank you for bending the rules. With the exception of music (well, and probably also sex, watching movies and getting high, in any order or combination), I think bending the rules is about my favorite pastime. I love how you took the pop philosophy of our gang and transposed it to the electronic idiom. Hooray for pop-ism in electronica!! Jussayin', you might have opened a can of worms right there.
I also particularly liked how you bookended your mix with Superfunk's sample of Musical Youth's "Pass the Dutchie". This generation rules the nation! And like the best bookended oeuvres (Sgt. Pepper, anyone?), there's the bookend, and then there's the epilogue. OMG, Righeira?!?!? This one here, guilty as charged of having left a club at dawn and danced/walked with the rest of the punters to the beach while singing the closing tune of the DJ's set, "Vamos a la Playa", really appreciates it.
As always is the case with the best mixes, the beloved classics (Bomb the Bass, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Beastie Boys, Trio --in French?!) are mixed with the maybe-not-classics-but-beloved-anyway (CocoRosie, Cults), the pleasant surprises never heard before in this house (Mackintosh Braun, She Rockers -- thank you!!!), and then some. Oh, and Thom Yorke. Nice.
It was definitely worth the wait since Life-a-holic. De puta madre Sarah!!! Gracias :)
Late to the comment box again... Just about everything well outside of my usual fare, although I've enjoyed K&D for a while now.
Gotta chime in on the She Rockers and their ability to tempt me towards dance-like motions (fortunately for all concerned I restrained myself and remained seated).
Also very much enjoyed the Cults and CocoRosie tracks.
Wow, The She Rockers are amazing. I can’t believe I haven’t heard this track before. It’s so urgent. I love it. Da Da Da is just such a weird, delightful song. Wait, does Because I Got It Like That have an ELO sample! That’s just awesome. Tricky is such an interesting artist. Every time I hear him, I’m taken with it and this song is no exception. The Bomb Da Bass cut is fantastic. I really like how it strips the genre down to it’s essentials. It’s so much fun. I’ve read about Cults, but I think this is the first time I’ve heard them. I dig it. Now, Cocorosie I’m familiar with. This is a great cut. I love the skeletal production. Feeling For You is a great cut too. I can’t get enough of that stripped down production. I haven’t heard Handsome Boy Modeling School for years. As soon as this cut started, I was up and digging through my collection to see what I have of theirs. Such a great sound. This is a fantastic cut. I haven’t heard anything from Working for a Nuclear Free City in years. This is a great song. I’m such a sucker for Thom Yorke. He had me from the very opening notes of The Bends way back when and to this day, I so enjoy hearing his voice. Moby is another artist that always gets me. He manages to pack so much emotion into everything he does. I like it. I like Kruder & Dorfmeister just because I dig saying their name. I also really like this song. What more can be said about Beasty Boys. They were just masterful and this is one of their finest moments. Plus, what a great music video. Thank you for a delightful walk through the electronica world, Sarah. I really enjoyed it.
So sorry it took so long to write this, but I enjoyed it very much. I think the title made me wait so long, because I'm typically not a big fan of electronica, per se. However, I like a ton of stuff on here. It's my kind of electronica, apparently. A lot of it reminded me of the The Book, who I really like, but mostly because they mix a blend of "real" songs into their own take. But there are plenty here that use electronica in the way they build the songs, incorporating "organic" sounds to give it a more human feel. Now if there's a name for this kind of electronica, please tell me what it is so I can look out for it. I really don't think there was a cut on here I didn't like. I'd only heard the Beasties, Moby, Handsome Boy..., and Kruder before.
Well done. Thank you for exposing me to something very new and enjoyable.
Months late to this party, but lots here that I love!
Definitely with you on K&D, Dmitri, Bomb the Bass, and so much more. Reminded a lot of the most danceable stuff from the old Hotel Costes collections by Stephane Pompegnac. I discovered through this download that I didn't have a copy of Da Da Da, so thank you for filling a horrifying hole in my collection!
Thank you Sarah!
Like Beth, electronica is not a genre I am urgently drawn to. And, that makes this one of the best mixes I've heard, because you have put together a collection of songs and sounds to which I keep returning. The songs I particularly liked where those by the She Rockers, Ecran Total 80, Jungle Bros., Cults, and Working for a Nuclear Free City, but the whole mix has a great tone. Thanks!
Post a Comment