Sunday, January 3, 2016

R.I.P. 2015


Date
January 3, 2015

Miracler
Toby Barlow

Location
Detroit

You know you've got the right guy at the RIP knobs
when you wake up early one New Year's AM to an email containing liner notes and track links to an already-completed RIP mix THAT INCLUDES NATALIE COLE. Was she even officially dead yet? Is Toby Barlow the 3MPM Grim Reaper? Don't answer that—we need him here for the next one.

Liner Notes by TB
Jimmy Greenspoon played the keyboards for Three Dog Night. And the keyboard opening to this song is one of the most iconic openings ever. Or at least the most recognizable, which is maybe the same thing as iconic? Anyway, I always recognize it right away whenever Aimee Mann and her band are playing it. But Mr. Greenspoon is playing it here.

BB King’s manager said, "Do not go to New York trying to be Nat Cole or anybody else that's trying to be slick, because there are people that are sweeping the floors that are much better than you'll ever be. So the best thing for you to do is go there and be B.B. King. Sing '3 O'Clock Blues;' sing the songs that you sing the way you sing them. All these other people can do all of those other things, but they can't be you as you can be you." Right?

Jack Ely was the lead singer on “Louie Louie.” But he never got much money out of it. He quit the band before the song became a hit. Oh and it turns out the reason you have a hard time understanding him is because he was wearing braces on his teeth at the time. Kids.

Don Covay wrote a lot of hits for a lot of people, but this one was his biggest hits. And another young kid named Jimi Hendrix plays lead guitar on it.

More kids! Natalie Cole. Her biggest hit was “Unforgettable,” a duet with her dead dad. But that song was really his song. Whereas this hit, this one here, it was all hers. Turn it up.

Now I think this is a very good song. The band took a bunch of Soundgarden-esque Pearl Jam-ness and added a bit of valium-laced pop to compose something quite lovely. I think in terms of “beautiful songs from not so beautiful people” it ranks right up there with “Sweet Child of Mine.” Okay, well, so long Scott Weiland.

Carey Lander was absolutely adorable. She played keyboard on all of Camera Obscura’s records from 2003's Underachievers Please Try Harder to 2013's Desire Lines. I used to listen to this song when I was driving up to the Catskills on Friday nights. I don’t know if it was a long time ago but it feels like last week. Time is oddly plastic.

Leslie Gore was a young woman who became famous probably because her producer was a very ambitious young A&R record executive named Quincy Jones. There is so much in this song, so much youth, defiance, sexiness, and absolute naughtiness. Needless to say it became a feminist anthem.

The year I was born Lynn Anderson was crowned California Horse Show Queen. Five years later she came out with this song. It’s namesake album held the title of the best-selling country album by a solo female artist from 1971 until Shania Twain broke its record in 1997 (I always tied it to the book “I Never Promised You A Rose Garden” which is about a crazy girl, so the song always seemed a bit unhinged and creepy to me).

Some more from Camera Obscura. Is this old or new? Are we old or new?

Percy Sledge. Okay, we’re going to play the hit here.

Continuing with the string of overplayed hits, we’re going to play this Free tune. Andy Fraser was one of the founding members of the band and co-wrote this smash mega-hit. According to his bio, Andy was “expelled from his grammar school for refusing to wear his hair short.” Yep, does not get much more rock and roll than that.

This happens every year when I put this list together. I was honestly torn as to whether Chris Squire should be included in this because I have never been much of a fan of Yes. In my mind, all the punk rock music I loved growing up came from a reactive revulsion to the bloated, grotesque prog rock excesses of Yes and every band like it. But then I figured if poor Chris Squire had to listen to all that music for most of his adult life – he was the only person to play on every Yes album and at every single Yes concert – then we maybe owed it to him to hear one song I suppose (in a recent Mark Maron interview, Steve Albini points out that all of the band Rush’s music could be found in the Yes song “Roundabout” which sounds about right to me).  

Okay, back to the good stuff. Fun Fact: John Lennon discovered Errol Brown and it was an assistant at Apple Records who named Errol’s band Hot Chocolate. They had a hit every year for 15 years, including the massive masterpiece “You Sexy Thing”. We're not playing that here, we're playing their other pretty big hit. Errol walked away from the business in the 80’s a very happy man.

“I still think my whole career was accidental,” Mr. King once said, “I didn’t pursue it. I feel like I’m cheating sometimes.” He’s kind of right. A man overheard him singing to himself when he was working at his father’s Harlem luncheonette and signed him to a band that opened for The Drifters. The manager of The Drifters didn’t like the singers in The Drifters so he fired all of them and, presto-magico, Ben and his fellow singers became The Drifters. Enormous success followed. But it wasn’t all an accident; he also wrote a lot of big huge songs himself, including “Stand By Me” which grew to be one of the most played songs in history. Which is why I’m not playing it here.

When I was young in New York City I loved going to Dan Lynch’s in the East Village where they would serve me even though I was underage and I would listen to live blues music and life was so good. The Holmes Brothers were regulars there though I never heard them play. Actually, come to think of it, I only went there once. And the guy overcharged me for the beers I ordered.

And now we’re going to hear a little bit more from B.B. King.

I have this photograph of Patti Smith singing at Ornette Coleman’s birthday party while he plays there beside her. Look, see? I think that’s his apartment. I really just love that picture.
Final parting words for the final parting song, "Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous." Lemmy. Motorhead. Out.

THANK YOU TOBY!!!  Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix and the last few (regular commenting is how you stay in the group),, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK




14 comments:

Melissa said...

Sad topic but great mix! "One" is the perfect opener, and "Save the Last Dance For Me" is pretty much a perfect song, as is "Interstate Love Song".

I also bought the music for "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)" yesterday to work on with my voice teacher (transposed lower; I don't have Natalie Cole's range). I've been meaning to bring it to him for a couple of years but hadn't gotten around to it. Hopefully the unfortunate reminder to work on it will, at least, lead me to a decent rendition.

Nick Dedina said...

Thanks for putting this together Toby -- and very nice personal notes as well. When Kelly's email notice popped up on my mobile screen I mistakenly read it as RIP Toby Barlow which seemed rather a cavalier way to announce the death of a Miracler.

Of course, this version of "One" was the "one" I heard growing up -- it was only in the '90s I got Nillson's original. Loved the song -- also loved "Joy To The World" mainly for the intro with "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" because that was as close as we got to kids music in my house with the exception of "Puff The Magic Dragon" and this groovy Jan & Dean Batman record we played TO DEATH (the theme in question).

In her obits, it was strange to have Natalie Cole's career reduced to the career resurgence zombie-dad duet of "Unforgettable" and her sad crack-addict turns to lowly prostitution saga. She was HUGE in the 70s and she may have inherited her father's perfect-pitch if not his incomparable zen-like coolness.

The tragic death of Camera Obscura's Carey Lander was missed by me so thanks for the service as well as the great tune.

The Holmes Brothers Simple Truths is one of my favorite albums on the 2000s -- a candle was lit.

Danny Lee said...

Always look forward to your "Best of the Dead" comps. Sadly, along with Jimmy Greenspoon, we also lost Cory Wells. Tough year for TDN. Love "Three O'Clock Blues" - pretty much defines the genre. Knew of Camera Obscura, but never heard anything by them. Love the guitar line in "Suspended" and the soft harmonies in "Keep it Clean." Never knew Hot Chocolate was British or that they were such a hit making machine. "Every 1's a Winner" has some kinda funky organ. Ornette I could listen to all day. RIP, bringers of such pleasure.

Danny Lee said...

And couldn't agree more with Nick. It's a shame Ms. Cole's best work was overshadowed by the Nat duet and the tabloid stuff. But the 3MPMP is here to take care of that injustice!

Kevin Seidel said...

I look forward to these mixes every year. And while the only theme that really holds here is "death" I enjoy it nonethless. A few thoughts...

Though I'm partial to Nilsson's "One," I knew this version far beforehand.
What the hell was Scott Weiland singing about, ever? He did have a great rock voice though.
I was sad to see Camera Obscura and consequently Carey Lander on this list.
Lesley Gore's song deserves a comeback. Maybe sung by today's girl power singers. Just a thought.
Lynn Anderson's reminds me of driving in rural PA. Which is its own form of creepy.
I was a Yes fan that liked punk rock.
I knew I was supposed to love Lemmy. I really just loved his attitude.

Good stuff. Thank you.

Sam K. said...

Like sand through the hourglass these are the days of our lives.

Thanks, as always, Toby.

Beth said...

I thought your Three Dog Night tune was for Cory Wells (RIP 2015)! Lesley Gore was an idol of mine -- she straddled the line between tough and tender so well. Thanks for including her in the mix. And just today my son was asking "Why is everyone talking so much about Bowie's death but no one said much when Chris Squire died?" (It's true -- I am raising a proud prog rock fan....) So thanks for including him too!

fritz said...

Always an interesting an informative take on the year's losses. Thanks, Toby.

Unknown said...

Pulled aside from all the other magical mixes we are privy to as exclusive members of the 3mpm, Toby's Year End R.I.P.'s stand alone. The bittersweet cannot be denied. They are treasures replete with extensive, sometimes personal liner notes and anecdotes.

I have found another way that these mixes flow when all complied together in one long extended playlist, listened to in order or on shuffle. They epitomize Free Form.

Thank you again Toby!

peter b said...

A bummer, but a great listen, your RIP mixes. I didn't hear about Carey Lander's passing till Camera Obscura came up in the set — way too young to go — played a part in some beautiful pop gems. A fine thing to leave us with.

Mark Ulriksen said...

As usual a stellar job of research, programming and insight and of course another great Miracle Mix. Thanks Toby. I've always loved One and quite a few other Three Dog Night tunes (Easy to be Hard comes immediately to mind).I doubt I'd heard that Natalie Cole number in decades and instantly cranked it up. Totally swinging. Ever heard the Holmes Brothers cover of Love Train? It's the best!

I only know Camera Obscura and Motorhead by name. I like one of them a lot.

Lauren said...

It seems callous to say that I look forward to the RIP mix each year, so I'll just say: Many thanks for another meandering slice of pop music history. And many thanks for your thoughtful and thought-provoking liner notes.

Stephen B said...

It's the copious and insightful notes that make the difference — as always, many thanks for the time you put into this TB. I particularly love the image of you getting into a hip spot as a youth and having to pay extra for beers. My good friend and I always went to a liquor store in the Latino part of town on Friday afternoons to get beers. The owner knew the game — we were overprivileged boys with cash, so he would charge us something like 10 buck per six pack (back then probably 2x the price). The transaction always left both sides happy...

Van B` said...

Toby, your RIP mixes and notes are a treasure. Thanks once again. And thanks for including Chris Squire, who gave me notice that bass guitars exist.