Monday, January 11, 2016

Goodbye, Bowie

Date
January 11, 2016

Miraclers
Many

Location
Everywhere

Sad day for Miraclers
Not much to say today, but Toby and I thought the day needed some recognition for the Miracling world. Here's a compilation of all the Bowie songs to date to appear on a 3MPM mix. RIP David Bowie, XOK

Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

12 comments:

Kevin Seidel said...

Dang, your fast. Downloading as we speak, though I'll be surprised if I don't have all the tracks already. I don't think I've ever been as gutted at losing a musical hero as this. Never met him, but he was as much family as my family. Don't know what my family will think about that...but this one will take a long time to come back from.

Thanks for putting this together. Planet earth is blue.

Nick Dedina said...

This one does hit hard. Either attached to the fact of the massive impact Bowie's music has had on music and my life (and as a way of opening up other avenues of music) or because 69 doesn't seem old anymore and he had a teenage daughter still at home.

Saturday night we saw a comedy show at the Brava theatre that kicked-off with the first surprise guest, Rhett Miller, walking out and doing a lovely cover of "Live On Mars" backed by piano, with a trumpet solo.

Then, on Sunday, I listened to the new Blackstar again as I drove back from seeing a friend who is starting a month in rehab. The last 2 cuts, "Dollar Days" and "I Can't Give Everything Away" deal with mortality and the nearness of death in a very emotionally raw, yet elegiac way.

Its rare for any artist to have work that speaks with a special creative spark across 6 decades of creative work. Its also rare for an artist to be influenced by others and not just get us punters to listen to their work but turn around and influence them in return. Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Scott Walker come to mind.

Nick Dedina said...

"life on mars" of course

Beth said...

Thanks so much for putting this together so quickly. There are some choice cuts on here and I can't wait to dig in.

Bowie touched me musically the way he did so many others. He was an iconoclast but yet his work managed to have nearly universal appeal. I have no amazing Bowie story to share but one small memory comes to me: a couple of years ago I was somewhat down in the dumps and anxious, and late into a long run the song "Fill Your Heart" came up on my ipod shuffle. Hunky Dory had long been one of my favorite albums but somehow the song took on new meaning to me that day, even though I'd heard it hundreds of times before. The fear was just in my head! It helped me to change my frame of mind. Thanks and rest in peace, dear Mr. Bowie.

John G. said...

What a sad surprise. I was singing Ashes to Ashes in my head the other day, and didn't give any particular thought to the line "I never did anything out of the blue." But it always seemed he did everything out of the blue. Now he's done it again. Thank you Kelly and Toby - nice to have this.

xtina said...

We <3 him in all his iterations

Stephen B said...

I still can't listen to Blackstar even though I preordered it; it's as if his orchestration of his own epitaph is a little too much to bear right now. He was always atop my pantheon with only one other artist (who also passed unexpectedly and youngish). It's been wonderful to see the outpouring of fond reminiscences, the mini-essays about a song or a moment, and the fellow-feeling as people grapple with the inexorable effects of time on us all. I have stories to accompany so many songs of Bowie's — ranging, rather strangely, from "The Bewlay Brothers" to "Without You," from "Panic in Detroit" to "Five Years" — the list would be long. So nice to be a part of a group who gets that we really do have a soundtrack to our lives. And thanks Mr. Jones for providing so many songs on mine.

Ray said...

Love this, but it makes me sad.

Wes said...

Thank you for putting this together, Kelly and Toby. It's a great mix. I can't believe we now live in a world without Bowie. I'll be I've listened to Ashes to Ashes a hundred times since I heard the news. So sad.

peter b said...

Not a big piano rock fan. Only Bowie could make a piano tune so good, case in point: 'Five Years' — just one facet of his freaky wizardry. Thanks for putting this together.

Unknown said...

Sigh. It's pretty crazy how many people's lives he touched....it was such a shocker. I fully confess that I first started listening to him in the 80s when I was in junior high, but it was a wonderful treat to discover and love all his many personas. Such a cool cool dude. Thanks so much for putting this together.....xo

Paulrhodes16 said...

A more interesting take on the Dame, steering clear of the expected. Can we have a Prince one too - perhaps there could even be a market for this alt.collections by mega stars? Thank you Toby and Hostess for limbering up so swiftly; did you have intimations of this in your tea leaves?

Paul Rhodes