Wednesday, February 3, 2016

i think we should break up... o.k.




ARE YOU CURRENT WITH YOUR COMMENTS? GET THAT WAY NOW—WE'RE CHANGING THE PASSWORD AFTER THIS MIX.

Date
February 3, 2016

Miracler
Ray Welter

Location
Richmond, CA

This mix title points out one of the internet's flaws
The one where you can't include punctuation in Miracle mix titles. In this case, kinda changes the @%$*%! story here, so please project the meaning of the words in this scene when you hear the mix and all the words are run together, mmkay thanks.

As any veteran Miracler will know, Ray Welter is kind of a big deal in the mix-making department, and that's in mix quantity alone. (Quality ain't shabby either.) Back in March 2013, we got 13 Songs About Girls, and before that, Feb. 2012's Dopeheads on Mopeds and August 2011's Get a Little Bit of Hi-Fi and before that, There's More to Scandinavia Than Death Metal and Are You Going to the Show? and The Wedding Present definitive collection and If It Ain't Scottish It's Crap mix and Let's Have a Meaningful Relationship... and all of this came after RW's Season 1 3-mix tour de force, which Your Hostess still listens to regularly.

Today, we receive another relationship-exploration mix, and let's just say this one doesn't include 'Fell in Love with a Girl.' But not to worry— I just saw RW and his old lady at a social thing and they seemed happy, so we'll assume this is just a theme exploration here. So with that, sit back and enjoy the sad...XOK


Liner Notes from RW
in the film high fidelity, john cusack’s character, rob, poses this question:
“what came first, the music or the misery?”  he goes on to say:
“nobody worries about kids listening to literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. did i listen to pop music because i was miserable? or was i miserable because i listened to pop music?”

this collection is about the darker side of love and relationships in pop music. no happy go lucky, boy gets girl stuff here. sadness, pain, anger, rejection, unrequited love, adultery. they’re all here, so call the number at the bottom of your screen and order soon.

Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

VAN BIESEL, YOU'RE NEXT!

19 comments:

xtina said...

So pretty for rough stuff. Downloading and reading the Artist list, I'm familiar with only a smidge of these band names, which is always fun with a solid mix-maker as it makes it easier to take the aural risk of diving right in instead of putting Blood and Chocolate on for the umpteenth time. (Aside: If you can't stop listening to a certain record over and over, year after year, is that a rut or a deep deep groove? #vinylquestions). Favorites on this mix as I listen: Neu! (seriously !!!), Pepper Rabbit, The Lonely Forest. I love remembering how much I love The Helio Sequence. Terrific mix, I'm on repeat three already and have nicknamed it "Pop t'heartbreak". Thanks so much, Ray. Another solid with a bullet.

Wes said...

I love the theme of this mix. I dig the first cut and Ballboy is such a great band name. I’ve never heard of Birdmonster. I like it. Neu were awesome. This is a great song. To this day, I listen to The Dream Syndicate. I can remember buying The Days of Wine and Roses from Tracks in West Lafayette and then playing it until the grooves gave out. I’ve heard about Frightened Rabbit over the past few years, but I think this the first song I’ve heard. I like it. Pedro the Lion was awesome. I love this song. I’m a fan of Bazan’s solo stuff too. I saw him play in the living room of a stranger a while back. That was both bizarre and super cool. It was like being invited to a party where you didn’t know a single other person, but there’s great music. I run hot and cold on Dinosaur Jr, but when he really hits a groove, it’s good stuff. I don’t know Pepper Rabbit at all, but I like this song. I really like Club 8. Wow, that one grabbed me. I just saw that the guitarist for Club 8 is also in Acid House Kings. That’s a good song too. I dig the The Like. That’s just a great pop song. I like The Lonely Forest and they’re from the area so I have to root for them. The Helio Sequence is a perfect way to end this mix. What a great song. Thanks, Ray.

sarah e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah e said...

Ok Pepi, you got priority playlist today and I listened to this mix all day on repeat....so here is what happened:

I remembered the time we went to Sacramento to go thrifting and I found a tube of M.A.C. lipstick in the Scirocco and I asked if I could have it (since it was my shade and that sh** was expensive) and you yelled "gimme that" and then processed to throw it out the window around Vacaville on the I-80.

It reminded me of when I lived in Seattle, where I spent a year of solitude and did not date or break up with anyone (the first time in the early 90s).

It reminded me of you - total Welter Guitar and vocals and I felt super melancholy about the old days and I really missed my pal. I got a little teary too...

I liked it all and like any break-up mix, I remembered only the good times.

ox patches

Danny Lee said...

You schooled me, Ray. Never would've bought anything by Neu! Until your mix happened, that is. Dream Syndicate was so cool way back then and somehow still sounds way ahead of everyone else. I'm mesmerized by Pepper Rabbit - those uplifting synth beds! I don't much care for the name "Club 8," but oh my, that voice and that introspective soundscape really pull you in. I checked out the album. Every cut's a winner. The Like I do like. A lot. My favorite of the whole mix. Reminds me a bit of Kirsty MacColl. Thanks!

fritz said...

I very much enjoyed this mix, end to end. Excellent sequencing and I appreciated the lyrical bookends (although I think the Hello Sequence *might* be being just a little ironic). Definitely impressed with a break-up themed mix that's so completely not lachrymose.

Plenty of new-to-me material of course, but I have to say that the Neu! really took me by surprise since I'm only familiar with the first record. I too logged a lot of hours with the Dream Syndicate blasting away- always welcome.

Frightened Rabbit was eerie and strange, like a drugged and fucked-up mistake of an evening.

I'm totally nuts over the Like-- love, love, love this track!

And the final piece is just exactly perfect-- nails the feel of that place we've all been.

Excellent mix!!

peter b said...

There are many gems to be found in your mixes. I enjoyed Birdmonster, The Like, and The Helio Sequence, just to name a few. As always, top notch goods.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Reading the other comments I only now realize I've been playing this all day in the wrong order! Glad to hear Ballboy starting this off as it didn't lead off my cockeyed mix and I thought, hmm, seems like the perfect opening track. That aside this is one great, great mix Ray. I loved every song. Only band I know and have is Dream Syndicate so I'm grateful to get so many new leads to explore. Tracks that rocked my world — Frightened Rabbit, Neu!, Pedro the Lion, Pepper Rabbit, The Hello Sequence and especially The Lonely Forest. A really masterful, surprise run of music given the subject, thanks so much.

ST said...

Hey Ray, great mix. I like the tracks and the sequencing; it works really well. Nice to hear some Neu! on a prodge mix. I think about them pretty narrowly in a mix-making context (perhaps that ought to change). Ditto Pedro the Lion. The Like is a treat, and the Lonely Forest is a nice new thing. The whole thing just works really well. Nice job; thanks!

Beth said...

I had major computer problems this month and had to wipe clean my hard drive. Just this weekend I was able to restore my iTunes library (PHEW!). I am now (finally) happily downloading the mix and can't wait to listen. Back with comments soon!

sb said...

I have the sads.
Saddest perhaps when listening to "Keep Yourself Warm" which is one of those selfless things you say when you're trying to be brave and tough but you feel like you need someone to say it to you.
Always enjoy The Helio Sequence.
But I have the sads.

meowsk said...

New to the group and man I am excited for these mixes! >^..^<

Nick Dedina said...

Neat stuff -- Remember when finding records was a hard slog?? I kept reading about The VU but there records were not anywhere -- I was able to find The Dream Syndicate first. Same for Neu! though I don't think there was an American Neu! back then. A whole bunch of "I love these songs too!" but on the stuff i have never even heard of before...Birdmonster and The Lonely Forest were neato. At an old job we had Pepper Rabbit in and filmed a concert with them -- really sweet kids and was weird that they were from New Orleans. I hope you do not get slapped in real life...unless you enjoy it.

Van B said...

Great theme, great mix. My favorites are Pedro, The Like, and Helio, but this mix is rock solid from start to finish. Thanks, Ray.

ST said...

This keeps going and going for me. Much appreciated.

Beth said...

Loving this mix -- so much new-to-me goodness! I am particularly obsessed with the Neu! track. Can't stop listening to that one. I think I need to start a band where all the songs sound like this (yes, I get obsessive that way). I also really dug The Like tune. They manage to sound fresh but retro at the same time. Thanks so much, Ray!

Paulrhodes16 said...

This has been on and off and on again over the weeks, different flavours hitting you each time, and put together with panache. Hand crafted by an expert! Thank you Paul Rhodes

C.Fry said...

Thanks Ray. Lots of gems in here: Club 8 has that etherial sound that I'm a sucker for. The Dinasour Jr wow - those guys are still rockin! Diggin the Helio Sequence as well.

Unknown said...

Ahhh, another amazing Ray mix! I really enjoyed this one...I confess I haven't had time to enjoy my mixes these past few months and this was the perfect reentry!!! So many new-to-me things. Like everyone else, loved Neu! and also really liked Pepper Rabbit, Club 8 and The Like. Yeah Ray!