March 10, 2016
Miracler
Van Biesel
(Today's his birthday!)
Location
Atlanta
Welcome back, Miraclers!
It's been a little while. Your Hostess has been waiting for the comments to build up a little more before dropping the latest in our Themed Season. I think we lost a little momentum there with all the Very Special Episodes, but we're back in the groove now, and if you comment on this mix, you will soon see another mix!
Who's up today?
Our 3MPM Archivist!
Do you ever wonder—when it's your lucky turn to Miraclize and Your Hostess sends you the link to Every Miracle Song Ever Used—do you wonder which amazing person made that list for us? Well, it's this guy. Van Biesel. THANK YOU VAN FOR ALL YOU DO! Especially since it seems like a pretty big pain, especially for so many years. THANK YOU, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Van Biesel has a rep in the Prodge for blazing some pretty unique pop trails. Van Biesel is NOT AFRAID to zag. And we've all benefited from that spirit. When last we heard from him , it was December 2013 and the mix was God vs. Devil . Before that, it was Wait For It in July '12, and before that, August '11's Songs of Exultant Joy, which followed January '10 The White Mix: Songs for Moving Very Quickly Down a Snowy Mountainside. What's he gone and made for us today? Let's look in.
Liner Notes by VB
As I started putting this together, I wanted to build a mix using Shark Fin Blues and Mucka Blucka. So my first stab was basically a Chicken of the Sea mix, which turned out to be a terrible idea. Instead, I just went with The Sea, and I think it holds together much better. The chickens are a bonus. (Hostess note: Van's also made us a bonus 'Chicken' mix, which will go up if the comments go up.)
The Sea
“Curve” - The Mermen
A little rough, a little dark, a sweet ride. Off we go!
“Shark Fin Blues” - The Drones
From Australia, we have barely-bridled chaos tempered with nice, unexpected hooks--works for me. I think this song is actually about sharks. It was used to perfection to end Rectify’s first season.
“Banzai Pipeline” - The Blue Hawaiians
An outstanding rendition of a Henry Mancini classic.
”Surf Nazis” - Tera Melos
If Brian Wilson had discovered Math Rock instead of losing his mind, the late 60s might have sounded like this.
”Typhoon” - The Bamboos
Super-tight funk, again from Australia. In my dreams I can play like these guys.
”Shark Attack” - Tim Finn
Another Australian shark song. Definitely not about an actual shark this time. Found this version on a rarities disc.
”Seven Seas Of Rhye” - Queen
For the last couple of years, someone who truly loves us all has been releasing live Queen recordings from back in the day. This one is from 1974 at the Rainbow in London. I'm not sure which is better, the astonishingly crisp recording or the way Queen tore through their early material with such amazing, hard-edged precision.
”Mermaid” - Okkervil River
I don't really get this song as it seems to be about hauling a real mermaid onto a boat and destroying the ocean, but I really like it.
”Lord Grenville” - Al Stewart
Not sure this song fits so well with the others, but it is my favorite Al Stewart song and I love how his tasty guitar work at the end leads into Blind Willie's slide.
”God Moves On The Water” - Blind Willie Johnson
Not to take anything away from Celine Dion, but maybe this should have been the one and only song on the Titanic soundtrack.
Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK
STEPHEN BRAMFITT, YOU'RE NEXT!

19 comments:
Happy Birthday Van!
Okay, there’s nothing I don’t like on this mix. Currently rocking out (again) to Shark Fin Blues. But I was truly blown away to see/hear Seven Seas of Rhye – Queen from about the time my voice was changing. And as it says at the bottom of the album credits, “…and nobody played synthesizer…again.”
As soon as I saw Van’s name on this mix, I knew I was going to love it. The Mermen song is crazy cool. Such a great guitar sound. The same is true of Shark Fin Blues. I hadn’t heard The Drones, but what a great band. The Blue Hawaiians cut is great. The guitar is great, but the drummer steals this one…wow. Tera Melos is another great one. The Brian Wilson reference is exactly right. I knew I was going to love this mix. Okay, so The Bamboos are the second Australian band that I’ve not known and I’m embarrassed. I thought I really knew music from that country. Wow, and then Tim Finn pops up. I’ve never enjoyed him more than in this song. What more can be said about Queen? They were magical to me when I was young and I still find them fascinating. Okkervil River is one that I’ve heard about for years, but not spent any time with. I like this song so maybe it’s time to figure them out. I love Al Stewart’s voice. This is a great song. Then Blind Willie Johnson. I couldn’t be happier. Van, this is a great mix. I expected no less. Happy Birthday, my friend.
I am already very interested in the Chicken Mix.
HBD BVD!
Happy belated birthday! This mix was not even close to what I thought it would be and man am I glad because I needed something different, something new for my playlist rotation. I enjoyed the Blue Hawaiians (I had a surf guitar tiki phase) and the eclectic mix of genres all rolled into all things related to the sea. Thanks!
Love The Mermen. Definitely in the dark waters of surf. The Drones sound kind of deranged, with a that Neil Young Old Black guitar sound - what's not to like? The singer from Okkervil River has a great, pleading voice -reminds me of Jim Kerr a bit. Nobody does the story song like Al Stewart. Good stuff, Van! Thank you for not including "Smoke on the Water."
Hey Van, great stuff. Most of the mix seems like it be great in a Tarantino movie or 60's TV action show. Love the power guitar and building of tension in songs like Curve, Shark Attack, Mermaid and Shark Fin Blues. Once that one broke into the na-na-na's I was smitten. I know nothing of most of these bands and really like the Okkervil singer's voice. Brazil Pipeline is definitely B-movie gold.
It's hard to believe that the Queen track is live! What a great song -- I'd never heard it before. I also especially appreciated both the Tim Finn and the Al Stewart songs (Al can do no wrong in my book). Great mix with a fun and original theme that you really integrated well. Thanks!
My life has been less rich for having missed the past few mixes, that's for sure, but what a way to get back into it! Right out of the gate, the snare sound alone on that Mermen track pulled me in, and the ripping guitar playing took it from there. That Queen song is a freaking jam (as is that entire concert, of course), too! As for fantastic stuff that was new to me and has led to further explorations, The Drones are pretty fascinating (still not 100% on the vocals, but that may change), The Bamboos are ridiculously wonderful, and Tera Melos blew my mind a little bit. Nice work!
A very interesting take on the theme, imo. I thought that the opening track really set an ominous mood, especially for a surf instrumental, but then closing things out Blind Willie Johnson reminds us that it can be deadly out there.
I've definitely enjoyed the Bamboos before so it's great to have more to add to my library. Live Queen was a revelation-- quite tasty. Really dug the Shark Attack and Surf Nazis numbers too.
Fantastic mix. The selections are fantastic and it's a great example of the power of sequencing. For me the whole thing pivots on that Okkervill River track, though I also do have a thing for modern reimaginations of sea songs (haul away laddies) so I may be a bit biased. Heavy rotation across four time zones. Many many thanks and kudos.
SHARK FIN BLUES! At this listen, this is my favorite tune on this mix, but—as with most BVB mixes—this will morph. Van Biesel mixes resonate with me. A lot. I go back to them over and over again and, as I listen, different tracks rise to the top to get their fair share of attention. Can't wait to find out which of these tracks will be my favorite next year...and the year after that. Comments, at least in my world, don't have to happen only when the mix is released, or only once. Other faves at time of writing: Banzai Pipeline, Typhoon, and of course Al Stewart #softrock4evah
Thanks, as always, Van. And I hope your birthday was tops!
On one hand these songs don't sound anything like the oceans I have frequented -- on the other hand, strong tunes with a high Fun quotient!!!! Stuff that was new to me -- dug Tera Melos and am listening to more of their work from this. I've had access to Al Stewart's entire catalog for almost 20 years but have never went beyond the childhood favorite Year Of The Cat. You went with another soft rock epic of his! Assumed he only had one -- I was wrong.
My father had a Blind Lemon Jefferson LP when I growing up plus we had a Cheech & Chong skit making fun of the hippy veneration of old blind blues folk players of the past. That said, never dove into Blind Willie though - -wow, great song and great catalog! So, thank you, Sir, for making a mix that sounds nothing like my ocean!
Oh yes, Al Stewart singing refined historical songs, a real guilty pleasure of mine, but only one of the treasures on offer here. Okkervil River I expected to like and did, but really Banzai Pipeline?!! Where did this appear from - but truly glad it did. Personally I don't need anymore Queen, but this rest is underexposed and much the better for it.
Paul Rhodes
You had me at Crunchy Organ on track 3. Then you funked it up further with The Bamboos. Yeeoww! I'm not usually a fan of the jazz flute, but this one hits just the right notes.
Also great to hear some Al Stewart, whose sound always takes me back to a very specific time in my (much) younger life.
Thanks for the great mix – I'll be returning for more!
At times calm, but then at others tossed at random. I like the theme - not sure that was what you were going for, but I was swayed, assaulted and then calmed again. Amazing to hear the Mermen here. I haven't thought about them in years and then just did so yesterday when recalling seeing them at Crissy Field with a good friend. yesterday! Funny how that happens sometimes. Thanks Van.
Aw yeah...I have been SO digging this theme!!!!! So many fun surprises....I was all in with the first couple of tracks and loving Banzai Pipeline, but then Typhoon came along like a funk tsunami. Really great mix, Van! Mark is right, something out of a super clever movie soundtrack. Thanks!! (oh, and Happy Belated Bday to you!!!!) -- Alix
I love the lead-in tune by the Mermen ... so gritty and so good. Followed up so perfectly with the new-to-me Drones. And the Bamboos — Holy Cow! They kick buttocks! An excellent collection. Thanks!
I think everything I do from now on I'm gonna do to this Blind Willie Johnson song.
Late to the comments — apologies.
First track took me back to seeing The Mermen play a live radio set at KFJC in Mountain View many years ago, and I'm almost certain "The Curve" was one they played. I always think of them as craftsmen of the genre with that hint of ironic menace that you don't typically find in surf guitar, with perhaps the exception of The Trashmen's "Surfing' Bird." The organ along with the tumbling drums in "Banzai Pipeline" really adds something extra for me. The flouting by the flautist in "Typhoon" is fantastic!
I simply can't believe that the Queen song is live; it's so sophisticated and so clean...
Love Lord Grenville and have an overall fondness for Al Stewart anyway.
Finally, brilliant conclusion. This is a very toothsome and chewy mix that I'll play many times over...
Thanks Van B!
Post a Comment