July 18, 2012
Miracler
Van Biesel
Location
Atlanta
Every now and then, and sometimes frequently, I'll receive a Miracle parcel and, after auto-consuming the chocolate and later rummaging through the recycling, remembering there might be something else in the package, I'll scan the mix's track list and my eye will land on a particular track, and suddenly a jagged thought bubble pops up containing every key cap on the keyboard. How will the Miracler pull this one off?
But ya know? After 4.5 seasons/4,836 tracks of this, the insta-suction of all air from lungs has come to feel like a familiar friend. Because, like every Columbo episode, you just KNOW that, since this is a Miracler here, it's got to work out okay. (Though with you guys, the bread crumb trail is usually a bit fainter.) I guess when you create a group out of a bunch of confident music snobs, they're gonna be looking, no—NEEDING, to find that curve ball that's gonna make us flinch. Otherwise, let's just keep rearranging Fleet Foxes songs for each other every week, right?
So, I guess what I'm trying to say here is: GUESS WHO VAN PUT BETWEEN JET AND BADLY DRAWN BOY.
No, actually, don't. You won't. Cuz this is, don't forget—this guy is crazy. This guy does not CARE where the song came from and what baggage it may carry. This song could be from ANYONE. This is the guy who brought first-time Miracling Star Glenn Campbell to his POP party in August '11's Songs of Exultant Joy, and in January '10, John Denver in The White Mix: Songs for Moving Very Quickly Down a Snowy Mountainside. Though, despite those risks, you guys did exclaim:
'YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!'-- my exultant joy for this mix. A great song to start it off! Enough silliness in the middle to hold it all together... and Elbow! This will move me up the mountain to Yosemite tomorrow (figuratively and literally).' 'I knew I'd like this mix as soon as I saw the cover. And I was right.' 'Buddy Holly to Bobby Gentry to MC5 -- Holy Guacamole! Lots of good stuff and that GREAT Everly Brothers "Two Yanks in England" closer. Loving this 100%. Keep on truckin', Winnegago Man.' 'I like this mix. A lot.' 'This is a great mix, Van. I don't think it could be more appropriately titled.' 'I like all the ground this mix covers. From the eternally youthful Buddy Holly to the new-to-my-ears Elbow (another new heavy-rotation song for me), this set hits the spot through and through. Thanks.' 'Best cover photo too.' 'Van - the Cat's Eyes floored me - beautiful. Into the Glen Campbell too. Always appreciate a little Detroit love in the mix. Thanks!' 'Nice mix! Glen Campbell made my morning. Thank you!' 'I put the B Gentry/G Campbell duet album on last week, what a recording voice she has. I left Glen on the shelf for years, having explored his catalog 20 years ago in a combined fascination/guilty-pleasure/contempt-of-schmaltz study. It's great to see him back again.' 'I can think of only 2 John Denver fans I've ever known & one of them was Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters etc. He's a skilled guitar picker etc so I think there must be something to JD.' 'The John Denver song absolutely works for me. Thanks for this eclectic mix!'
So: Open Mind, Miraclers. You're gonna need it for Track 6! But anyway, with/without that 'It's so crazy it just might work' choice (which, uh, I'm kinda warming up to—that finish IS impressive), I can fairly guarantee you'll soon be dropping a bunch of this stuff into your faves playlist. As for me, I've already thrown Track 9 directly into my Makeout/Funeral collection. (It's a short one.) You're in good hands today with the Man from Atlan and this excellent theme.
Liner Notes: Wait for it
I love songs that, one way or another, come out of nowhere and sock me in the jaw. Some do it emotionally, some do it instrumentally, but I always love it when the hammer drops and the chill runs up my spine. Here is a sampling:
1. School - Supertramp
1. School - Supertramp
Ever notice how some songs are just a mild-mannered setup for a rip-roaring solo? A piano solo for example.
2. The Bleeding Heart Show - The New Pornographers
2. The Bleeding Heart Show - The New Pornographers
And some songs are seemingly constructed just to deliver a kick-ass ending? Case in point.
3. I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding
3. I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding
I love the way this song teases; stuttering along until the very end when the horns finally slide into place and take it home.
4. Apollo Bay - Craig Finn
4. Apollo Bay - Craig Finn
The first guitar solo is awesome, and it's just a warm up for the second.
5. Lazy Gun - Jet
5. Lazy Gun - Jet
This song is a favorite of my daughter, Stella. The verses would be throw-away, except for the fact that they are such a great setup for the choruses.
6. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again - Barry Manilow
6. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again - Barry Manilow
There was a little backlash when I brought John Denver into the prodge, and I suppose this may get me excommunicated altogether, but this one goes out to SeƱora Santoscoy, my high school spanish teacher, who would go weak in the knees at the mere mention of Manilow. And, what a nice, slow build from simple piano to the full-on, over-the-top ending of orchestra, choir, and Barry.
7. A Peak You Reach - Badly Drawn Boy
7. A Peak You Reach - Badly Drawn Boy
Ever wonder how to take an unstoppable bass riff and pump it up at just the right moment? Cellos. Who knew?
8. Mother Of Pearl - Roxy Music
8. Mother Of Pearl - Roxy Music
This song just cruises along (as Hi as Fi can go) only to shift gears completely and settle into one of my favorite Roxy grooves.
9. All Things Beautiful - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
I would've never guessed that my favorite album of 2007 would be a soundtrack of quiet piano and violin instrumentals from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, but my "most often played" playlist doesn't lie.
Mix is UP in its new home. Same password for now.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
XOK

18 comments:
You know those mixes where you read the liner notes and your hands fumble at the keyboard because you can't download fast enough (you mistype the password, curse, curse again at your pathetic download speed because you live in the hood and refuse to support Comcast, etc). Well, this is one of those. I am currently taking a break from said cursing by trying to get my fingers to work right by commenting, but the excitement lingers. Yes, I am Waiting For It. And apologies, Van: I'm sure that my track record of being the lover of canned dairy products may not make me the Miracler you might want to start off the effusive bubbling, but tough luck. I am not only not making a stinkface about the Manilow, but am pleased and relieved. Kelly had me worried. And in some ways, I'm glad the comments aren't starting off with a poopoo and disownment.
Spastic Thank You for including my deep favorite Roxy Music track. Many tracks have tried to best it in my heart, but have failed. Likewise a fan of most of the other artists on here, I am looking forward to that Craig Finn track, as I think he's the only person I'm not familiar with. (Unless he is the brother of Tim, in which case I am kinda familiar with him). I admit it, I cannot wait ... to listen.
Anyone else besides me thinking that MANILOW might be a new perfect password? C'mon, no former Miracler hacker would *ever* guess that one....
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
[crickets]
See Kelly, you were worried about my mix - and he put Manilow on his.
Yes to the new password.
And Yes, to this new mix!
Thank you Van Biesel!
I have endured the first boring, nonsensical 2:09 minutes of Bleeding Heart Show for years and years because the last 2 1/2 minutes make me do the happy dance. It makes me want to be in a congregation of a few thousand people all swaying and singing and spinning to the genius of those 2 1/2 minutes. And to clarify how nonsensical the beginning is, here are some of the lyrics:
We quit the room
Quit so our thoughts could rest
Rest them, I'll never move?
That's when we grab a hold
Of whatever it is we fell into
Lousy with your content
With what the majestic cannot find
In business of your lives
The perception, it is wrong, mile after mile
The phantom taste drinking wine from your heels
We have arrived too late to play the bleeding heart show.
WHAT? Can we just get to the good part?
Thanks for the mix. Can't wait to swim in it.
Brilliant. I love it! I have a secret like/love affair with Supertramp (yes, I said it). Also, one of my favorite New Porns songs.
A real electic mix, but damn does it work!
Right on!
Absolutely fantastic! A great theme and a perfect execution. Well done, my friend. I'm such a sucker for the opening strains of School. I can't count the number of days I was a passenger in a 67 Nova at Purdue with that blasting out of the speakers. Thank you so much.
I love this original mix VB. I would never ever have turned on that Supertramp song, and I am fully enjoying it.
The prolific and cranky Nick Cave has such an amazing spread of work. And his collaborations can often show his most melancholic side. This song is beautiful
Thanks again.
I'm just not feelin' the Supertramp or Manilow, Van. But loving the bejesus out of everything else. And as a immediate gratification listener, that's saying a bunch. A fun theme, well executed. Thanks!
(And Christina—I third that password.)
Good stuff. Agree with Doug about Barry. Can't do it. But unlike Doug, I've got a soft spot for the 'tramp. Reminds me of grade school. Really dig the Craig Finn song, which is a shocker cuz I don't like the Hold Steady (blaspheme!). And thanks for turning me onto that Nick Cave/Warren Ellis record.
Totally agree w/Xtina about the Roxy Music track—it's a well-worn favorite, and one of the funnest songs in history to sing along to.
Jet song: If I were in a band, I'd start every song off just like that. 5 seconds in: I was already permanently sold.
Barry: All I can say is that I know every word to that song, so at some point in my life, it meant something big. Probably when my woman was coming home and I couldn't get the feeling again and I was 8.
And on that note: Why couldn't every history lesson throughout grade school be set to Barry Manilow songs? I'd be so much better at Jeopardy now.
And yeah, that Nick Cave & Warren Ellis is to die for. Again: someone please play that at my funeral.
Thanks for a fabulous theme and super-fun payoff, Van!
XOK
Supertramp is one of those bands that seems to have gotten better as I grow older (see also: Chicago), so this was a welcome new jam for me. Bleeding Heart Show is where that particular New Pornos album came alive for me - I still get chills during that last bit. The Cave/Ellis track was also a welcome surprise for me - I may have to seek out this album....
One of those mixes where I looked at the liner notes and thought, "I don't like any of these bands", then I listened to it and thought, "That was really cool, why am I always such a snob". So, um, yeah, thanks for that.
Outwardly I say I hate supertramp, but inwardly I'm humming along. Damn you Supertramp. Nice mix.
Funniest comments ever. I just scared the neighbors.
Nice! My faves would be The New Pornographers (sing it into the rafters), Nick Cave (beautiful ballad) and Badly Drawn Boy (euphoria in strings).
Catching up on listening and commenting. What a mix. Great idea. I think that like a lot of others the anchor stores for in this high-end mall were New Pornographers and Roxy Music. Kurt Dahle remains one of my favorite rock drumming clinicians. Re-remembering the awesome wait-for-it-ness of the Manilow track was a treat. Much else new or way-back-catalog for me and not an unliked track in the bunch. I know I'll be going back again and again to the whole-shebang end-to-end mix. Thanks man.
doh! *anchor stores for me in this high-end mall !
(I hate when that happens)
Nice concept for a mix. I love getting turned on to new tunes, and for me Lazy Gun by Jet is a keeper from the get-go. Interesting how Supertramp seems to rub people, one way another. I admit I was totally into them in college, delivering the school paper and getting ink stains all over my hands and arms while cranking Crisis?, What Crisis?
But Barry Manilow? Am I a snob to say I've never heard that song before and I still can't stand him/it??
Post a Comment