Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Get in the Car

Date
July 11, 2012


Miracler
Lauren Barr


Location
San Francisco


Around Pop Miracle HQ,
We see "Lauren Barr" on the return address and automatically dump all the tracks into the 'Awwyeahhhhh' playlist. A Lauren Barr Production consistenly bridges the tastes and Mr. Bromide and myself. And this mix, accompanied as it was by THREE TCHO CHOCOLATE BARS (it's not a contest—I love all chocolates on the spectrum of chocolate, but still, THREE? Tcho? Chocolate bars?), was a sight for this weary just-returned-from-the-Indiana-homeland traveler upon her arrival. And, as it happens, so are the sweets on the disc. Get ready for another delicious mix.


Previous LB Goodness
has included July '11's Volume Two, about which y'all said, 'Another stunner, Lauren—thanks. I'm not sure if I mentioned it last time, but I'm married. I'm convinced there's got to be a way around this little speed bump, however. We'll be in touch...'  'Lauren, you've presented such a set of contradictions here. Blitzen Trapper gave the song happier music than the lyrics deserve. Love it. Sore Spores sounds kind of gross but the tune is beautiful. And what the hell is Jimmy Wakely even doing here? (I'm really glad he stopped by).'  'Loving how this mix, while all over the place, also has a meandering line through it that holds it all together.'  'I just finished my fourth straight listen. And "fromage-adjacency" may be my most favorite descriptor in recent history. So. Hilars.'  'Great mix, Lauren! Listened twice thru. Jimmy Wakely gets 5 stars. Several others I would love to explore further. Thanks!' 'Lauren, this looks super great, as soon as I saw that you were the one responsible for "is this thing on?" I got excited, and your d.i.y. cover art is also very enticing'! 'Really, really good. I'll play these again and again.'  'Okay, it's official: for every future Lauren Barr mix, I'm just gonna 5-star the whole thing before listening and save the wrist work. Thanks for another incredible mix, lady! Loooooving it.'  'The cover art is as fine as the mix inside. Seven Nation Army cover = toe-tappin goodness.' 'The cover art is as fine as the mix inside. Seven Nation Army cover = toe-tappin goodness. And finally, I totally loved that you closed with Gayngs, one of my latest guilty pleasures. Classy.'  'This mix is a keeper from top to bottom. The Blitzen Trapper is my favorite of the new surprises. Thanks!' 
  
Before that, 
in Dec. '11, Lauren brought us Is This Thing On? to which you guys responded with,  'Oh yeah this thing is on!! Rockin' Mix! Really wonderful stuff here, and the mix is seamless.'  'I am digging this in every respect. I will have to check out Radio FIP. And your cover? Blasphemous treatment of vinyl, but very cool nevertheless. Thanks for the sounds!'  'This may be my favorite mix so far this season. Thanks!'  'Nice unique (un-3mpmp mix). Thanks for the tunes.'  'Great mix. Hadn't realized how deeply that Bomba Estereo tune had infiltrated my summer, but it brought back a lot of recent, fond memories. Thanks!'  'Lauren - will you marry me?'  'Oh Doug, I thought you'd never ask!'
  
Taking us to today. Liner notes from LB:
Get in the Car

Inspired by a comment on an earlier mix, here's an eclectic mix of songs that will sound good in the car.

1. Young Love, Rival Sons
This song makes me want to roll down the windows and floor it.

2. Breaking The Yearlings, Shearwater

3. Flood to Flood, Liars
From the amazing new Radiohead-esque album Wixiw (pronounced "wish you", naturally) 

4. As I Lay My Head Down, Other Lives

5. Isabel, Baxter Dury
An incredibly catchy song from the son of Ian. I love that guitar sound.

6. Some Place, Nick Waterhouse
Named by GQ on their watch list or somesuch. Don't let that deter you, the kid's got something.

7. Trouble in My Soul, Mexican Dubwiser

8. Malivio Son, Novalima
I'm a sucker for a weird time signature.

9. Tatui, 3 Na Massa, Featuring Karine Carvalho
Karine Carvalho is a Brazilian soap opera actress. Who knew?

10. Garden, Lost In The Trees
The whole sad and effusive album, A Church That Fits Our Needs is great and was "mixed by the legendary Rob Schnapf (Elliott Smith, Beck), bringing out the lush tones of the orchestrations in their full grandeur."

11. Displacement Song, Liz Green
I'm also a sucker for this kind of arrangement. That's gotta be a tuba, no?

12. Variations, Nicolas Jaar
As a friend put it: file under Languid Angularity. It's downright Langular. The put-it-on-and-soak-it-in album, Space is Only Noise is described by Pitchfork as " leftfield electro-pop, far-flung and without reserve, but... also patient, quiet, and small." By which they mean: good stuff, check it out.

Mix is UP in its new home. Same password for now. 
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

11 comments:

Dave Tibbs said...

wow...great mix so far...i'm only part way thru but having a lot of fun listening. i've only heard of a couple of the bands on this mix which makes it even more fun. it's only 8:26am...how am i supposed to top this? i should just go back to bed.

Anonymous said...

First impressions is that this is a winner - especially like the Nick Waterhouse track (although this isn't a name that screams 'star'). Great variety. Paul Rhodes

alix said...

Lady L, really intriguing mix. And by "intriguing" I mean AWESOME. I officially have not heard of ANYONE on this. And I love that. Love the jangly bad assery of the Rival Sons, totally dug Shearwater, LOVED the Other Lives track...and Liz Green...

And seriously Susan Lucci needs to step it up. The Brazilian Soap Stars are kicking our asses.

Thanks for a fab mix!

xtina said...

"GET IN THE CAR"

The title alone made me yell and also feel a little scared. Half Sonic Youth-y, half Sweet Hostage-y. Creepy seedy is where I went (and, of course, listening to it and realizing it was a Gonzo road trip ode made *me* feel like a supercreep, but that's no surprise).

First track is KICKIN! I've got dust and tangles in my hair already. Then we are on a windy, kookoobrainz road. Dream terrain.

BTW, mine downloaded Liars as track two and Shearwater as track three. Which is the right order?

Sam K. said...

I played two songs this AM before listening to this mix; one of them was Ian Dury's Reasons to be Cheerful, so it was odd to hear his sound-alike son's track. I had no idea. I usually don't like when a son closely matches his dad's style but in this case I have to make an exception. Then after that there were excellent international post-dub pop songs that segued nicely into some compatible tunes from Mark Ulriksen's Get Outta Town. Get in the car & get outta town? Someone's trying to tell me something. Thanks for sharing, Lauren!

Wes said...

This is such a great collection of songs. I even did it the justice of listening to it the first time while driving. Rival Sons was a perfect way to start. Thank you.

Doug said...

Uhm...this is how all mixes should start? Seriously?

Having already confessed to an earlier Miracler about my initial doubts about Liars, let me say it once again—I am an idiot. Oooo—Nick Waterhouse is making an appearance on my mix this August! Who are these Mexican Dubwiser and Novalima of whom you speak? Fantastic! Thanks, Lauren.

jeffrey bell said...

Not just Get in the Car, but Get In The Car and Drive Like Hell because something scary is behind us like a jilted lover with a big gun or a prison break or a swarm of killer bees or the apocalypse. Whatever it is, these songs make me want to drive fast and not look back. No chance of me pulling a sneaky looky-loo over my shoulder and turning to salt like Lot's wife. Nope, I'm putting the pedal to the floor and driving away.

I noticed toward the end of the mix, once we've driven awhile, the music relaxes as if we're in a better place. It's safe. We can slow down, refuel, maybe grab some corn nuts from the gas station before we get back in the car.

Thanks for the mix. Clearly it's gotten inside my head and I'm mostly really happy about that.

Special thanks for the Baxter Drury track. He sounds like a chip off the ol' Blockheads.

Cheers.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Lauren Barr - I am new to all of it. This mix is so innovative and fresh.

I hadn't had a chance to listen in until today.

What a treasure!

Van B said...

This mix is all kinds of incredible, and right out of the gate. The Rival Waters and Shearwater tracks are two of my favorites. I have heard much from Lost in the Trees which never quite got my attention, but "Garden" sure did the trick. Thanks so much.

Karl said...

I was particularly struck by the way the Baxter Dury and Nick Waterhouse tracks blended together so well. On one level, they're quite different - one's much more electro, clean and modern sounding, while the other has a classic sound and feel - but the heart of each song seemed so similar to me, and that's what a mix is all about!