Monday, September 4, 2017

Back to School with Classics from the Miraclin' Vault

Date today  
September 4, 2017

Date of original Season 1 appearance 2003-04

Miraclers in order
Charles Wyatt

Allie Fung
Chris Nolan

It's Back to School 2017, and y'all are in for a TREAT

This season always comes off like the beginning of a new year for me. Though my school's been out for a while, I feel the transition from summer to fall in my bones—more dramatically than when flipping the calendar from December to January. 

This early-autumn sensation often transports me in a moment to another year/decade/millennium. With this sentiment in mind, I thought we'd try something different this week and revisit some more Classics from the Miraclin' Vault, which people have asked for and which we haven't done since 2014. And since our Season 1 alone was pretty crazy-great, let's linger there some more. 

Our maiden voyage in 2003-04 was the only season in which Miraclers actually burned CD's (first non-cassette mix most of us had made), decorated the covers, and MAILED THEM to the 20 or so other people in the group. We all had more time and fewer pets/kids/bills then, and we actually pulled it off.


We had parties then, too. Speaking of, maybe it's time for another meet-up? See, I only get those kinds of ideas in the fall. If you think another Rite Spot evening should happen in the next couple months, let me know, and I'll float some dates.

But for now, I'm giving you 3 mixes that I thoroughly enjoyed at the time and have played many, many times since. Back then, we filled our expensive blank CD's to the brim, so these mixes go long, and sometimes a little rambly and in that fun desert-island "I can't leave YOU out!" way, since back then, there was meant to be only one season, so we had to pack a lot in! But it's mostly great frolicking stuff. Go see for yourself!

Mix is UP. Check your email for the current password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

7 comments:

xtina said...

It's not even my birthday yet!

Also: Chuck!

Unknown said...

Dang! Way to finish off the summer KSN!
Thank you!!

Sam K. said...

Only had a chance to check out the Charming Allie Fung. It takes me back. I remember enjoying it a decade plus ago and the music -- Ween!, Belle!, Bjork! -- then was from the decade plus before that so there's some serious time-tripping going on, back to a time when there was more free time, & pop music seemed more important and less abundant. Thanks for sharing, Allie!

Danny Lee said...

Thanks, Kelly! Good stuff never get old. My favorites: Allie's John Fahey, Charles' Terry Hall and Chris' Palace Brothers.

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing this abundance of awesome music, Kelly. I have just listened to "Pop" so far. I loved The Smiths cover by Stars. And "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" evokes lots of emotion because it was an early childhood favorite -- the Manic Street Preachers did it proud! Will try to get through the other two mixes soon. I'm sure lots of miracles await.

Sam K. said...

(Hmm, having trouble posting a comment today. Apologies if this is multi-posted.)

Certainly truth-in-titling on Charles Wyatt's classic 'Pop' mix. Lots of thematically consistent poppy tunes (and thematic consistency is important on these types of playlists): post-grunge pop, chamber pop (is that term still in use?), a few poppy covers, which is a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing Charles! Happy holidays, all!

~ Sam

sarah e said...

Thems the good old days. Ochos friend