January 1, 2018
Miracler
Toby Barlow
Location
Detroit
Big Smoochies
of love and thanks from Your Hostess to Toby for the research, artist/track deciding (what do you MEAN, no Fats Domino?!), track purchasing, sequencing, writing, and all the other shenanigans that go into creating a sweeping 30-song opus for us each year. Can you believe it? To revisit, click on any of these past years: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
If you too love these RIP mixes, please say so in the comment section below—Thanks!
Liner Notes from TB
This one’s dedicated to all the fathers who left this year, including my own. Thanks Dad. You did not have a great record collection but I’ll never forget the time you told me you liked Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day.”
Okay, let’s start out in an alternative universe, a better place. Joseph Fire Crow was a renown Cheyenne flutist. Close your eyes, try and imagine a better world. Or a spa. Also, while you're at it, remember Standing Rock.
Rip Maggie Roche. Speaking of better worlds, when I was a kid the Roches broke out and it was sort of an alternative wide-open landscape, where folk and new wave could blend as purely as their harmonies blend here with Fripp’s guitar.
Meanwhile, this particular world has made me ornery. So, Greg Allman and Butch Trucks of the Allman Brothers have both departed. But I chose “Little Martha” because, well, it sounds better in the mix, even though neither Greg or Butch play on it. Honestly, maybe it’s some latent aggression I have towards Greg. When I was a little kid, he was a barbarian invader who swung in on some gnarled swamp vine and kidnapped Cher. I could not figure it out. Seriously. How did this Blonde King Kong come up from the bogs and get his goddamn mitts on her? I was crushed. But earlier this year I passed through Macon, Georgia, and stopped by one of the band’s favorite dives, H&H, and the fried chicken was pretty good.
(Before we really get going too deep, it’s worth mentioning some departed who weren’t musicians. Denis Johnson, Jonathan Demme, Harry Dean Stanton. And Sam Shepard. Christ, that guy. I was tempted to put on a tune he co-wrote with Dylan, “Brownsville Girl” or the great Joni Mitchell song “Coyote”, which is supposedly about him. But maybe just read our National Hipster Eulogist Patti Smith’s remembrance of him in the New Yorker. And let’s keep going.)
Back to the show! Half Cherokee, half Irish, Keely Smith grew up dirt poor on the wrong side of Norfolk, Virginia. But then she met the Sicilian-American Louis Prima and for a time there, right at the end of the 1950’s, the two of them absolutely ruled Las Vegas. America can be a wonderful place!
Yeah! Next! The first latina to be honored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as well as the first Latina to appear on American Bandstand, way back in 1961, was Rosie Hamlin of Rosie and the Originals. Pretty damn cool. What a melting pot! What a country!
And Della Reese, wow, this lady was a powerhouse. I like to imagine her over on Vernor Street in what was then the very poor neighborhood of Black Bottom Detroit (literally a five-minute walk from where I’m sitting now.) I bet she was an adorably pudgy little toddler who, after taking her first steps, did not stop until she had conquered whole goddamn world.
Valerie Carter was one of those voices you grew up hearing floating in the background, she is the pretty lady with the golden voice who hung out at LA’s Troubadour, lived up in Laurel Canyon, wrote songs, sang backup for Jackson Browne and James Taylor. And when she had a tune of her own, singing a song like this, she floated out of the radio, a light aural spirit, surrounding you, comforting you, but only for that soft, glowing, ethereal moment, and then she was gone.
“And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time.” Of course. Jesus. Come on. Glen Campbell.
Wait - nobody told me there was a Cuba Gooding Senior!!! I mean, I should have figured it out. Ken Griffey. Cal Ripken. Adlai Stevenson. Good rule of thumb, if there’s a Junior there’s generally probably gonna be a Senior. This particular Sr. stepped into the lead singer’s role in The Main Ingredient just in time to hit this one out of the ballpark.
Robert Knight’s “Everlasting Love” was the last song cut during the studio session, “kind of like a throwaway tune” they remembered. Now there’s a mix tape in itself, the songs that were cut at the bitter end, when everyone was burned out and tired, the cigarettes all gone, when folks are mean and cross and just want to go home, these are songs no one thought were gonna be anything, but fuck it, we’re gonna try it, why not, give it a shot, everyone quiet now, let’s go…
Philly in the house! Sister Sledge’s second oldest sister Joni Sledge passed away this year. Just like their monster hit “We Are Family,” this tune was written by the demi-gods Nile Rogers & Bernard Edwards.
Meanwhile, Melvyn "Deacon" Jones was an organist and founding member of Baby Huey & the Babysitters. Perhaps you have not tuned into Baby Huey, and if that is the case you better fucking turn it up (“eatin’ spam and oreos…”) When the 300+ lb. lead singer Huey died in October 1970 – no doubt thanks to the spam and oreos – news headlines put him up there in a triptych with Janis and Jimi (but only because they were so very recently dead too.)
I somehow missed the fact that guitarist J. Geils died. Founder of the eponymous Boston band, they considered Detroit their second home and recorded most of their live stuff here. To me, they’re the original “I like the early stuff” band and “Full House” from way back in 1972 is an absolutely fantastic live rock & roll gem of an album.
For some reason, I’ve been singing this ditty to myself for years. “Texas on a Saturday Night” is a duet Mel Tillis did with Willie Nelson. It’s a lively and fun little song. And I even don't even like Texas all that much.
I debated leaving Chuck Berry off of this entirely. He was a legend, an amazing singer, writer, musician, a driven man who defied time and space and racial barriers, building himself a fortune and a kingdom. He was also a disgusting scat muncher who put video cameras in the bathrooms of the trailer park he owned. I’m not saying that takes everything away from what he accomplished, but, well, I dunno. And then, on the other side of the ledger, “The Promised Land” is a perfect song. So, in a compromise, I’m using the Band’s cover of that tune. Cause it’s perfect too.
More ornery. Okay, I didn’t really love Soundgarden. Maybe I should have given them more of a chance, it was just so overwhelming at the time, all that Seattle. Nirvana, cool, and, okay, Pearl Jam, fine, but then MTV starts pushing the hell out of Soundgarden and I was just like “Uh-uh, too much.” But Chris Cornell deserves some respect. He had a nice set of pipes and he did a great job writing. I’m going to use Johnny Cash’s cover of Chris Cornell’s “Rusty Cage” because, well, it’s better. “When the forest burns along the road, like God’s eyes in my headlights.”
Pat DiNizio was the lead singer, the songwriter, the man in The Smithereens. Kurt Cobain really loved them. Then Cobain launched his own little monster of a band and the Seattle grunge scene completely took over the airwaves (see above.) Consequently, according the DiNizio, “the bottom fell out of our career.” Funny how the world works.
Speaking of Seattle, you probably know the Pearl Jam version of this tune, but Wayne Cochran’s original is better. It’s simpler and sincerer. He sounds like a nice big idiot who actually believes what he’s singing, in a way Eddie Vedder never does.
The first two albums I ever bought were Tom Petty’s “Damn the Torpedoes” and the soundtrack to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” So that’s me. While “American Girl” is probably his most perfect song, for me this is the most evocative one, I remember putting it on the turntable back there in suburban Maryland, on a hot summer afternoon, waiting for a girl to come by.
Tommy Keene was actually from that same Maryland suburb and went to Walter Johnson High School (oh, Jonathan Richman wrote a great song about Walter Johnson.) Somehow, I missed Tommy Keene entirely. I really don’t know how since, for a period, this was a kind of sound that always surrounded me.
Mary Tyler Moore passed away in January. She was an amazing, inspiring model of humor, integrity, and independent feminist strength. That Hüsker Dü covered MTM’s theme song only makes sense when you realize the band was from Minneapolis. RIP Hüsker drummer Grant Hart.
If you live in Detroit, you listen to a lot of Canadian Radio. This year I listened to that entire country mourn the passing of The Tragically Hip's Gordon Downie in way that our country never mourns anything.
Can’s founding bass player Holder Czukay had a really great line “The bass player’s like a king in chess. He doesn’t move much, but when he does he changes everything.”Bowie loved Can. Eno loved Can. Can’s drummer Jaki Liebezeit even played on Eno’s “Before and After Science.” Holder and Jaki both left this year. (Fun fact! The band Spoon named themselves after a Can song.)
France’s Johnny Hallyday had a hit every year between the years 1066 and 2424. What an incredible run!
Another ornery moment: If you’ve been waiting for a Fats Domino tune, sorry, there ain’t one coming. I know he was a nice, hard working man, but “Happy Days” and K-Tel records utterly ruined him for me. I do know he had a lot of respect and I do wish him the best.
Charles Bradley, “Ain’t It A Sin.” I think this showed up on an earlier 3MPM mix. Maybe one of mine. I fucking love this song.
According to Berry Gordy, legendary songwriter Sylvia Rose Moy was responsible for the label keeping Little Stevie Wonder after his voice began to change. Motown was going to drop him, but Moy asked if she could try to come up with a hit for the kid. Hearing Wonder improvising on the piano, Moy wrote "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" and conveyed the lyrics to him by singing into his headphones one line ahead as he recorded.
Confession time. I was always a bit afraid someone would say “Hey, good news! We’ve got tickets to Al Jarreau tonight!” I might have gone along or I might have lied to get out of it, but either way I had a feeling I would regret it. I do like this song, from a very early album. I wish he had more stuff like this. I do know he was great, just not for me.
You know who probably loved Al Jarreau? Walter Becker. Now, picking out a Steely Dan tune is tough. First of all, bars and hotel lounges have played them to death and, secondly, I’m something of a Superfan. I wound up picking “My Old School” not so much because of the parallels to my own misadventures in various northeastern boarding schools, but more because I think it is the one that most rewards the close listener. There’s devilish fun here. And listening to the very end of it, I like to imagine the look on guitarist Skunk Baxter’s face as Walter Becker, mischievously grinning, pulls the mix knob down, fading out Baxter’s absolutely stunning bit of guitar virtuosity just as it’s really getting going. Leaving you hungry for more.
Maybe you never heard of Rosie Sorrels. One measure of her greatness as a folk singer is that fact that both Hunter S. Thompson and Studs Turkel wrote liner notes for her albums. Well, there’s an empty cot in the bunkhouse tonight.
Okay, I’m ending it here. Not to be overly pessimistic, but just to have some fun. Let's all have some fun. And so long, Malcolm Young. You absolutely killed it.
Adios amigos! And on to a brighter new year. Resist. And Remember Standing Rock.
Mix is UP. Check your email for the current password. Please comment on this mix! Just click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

23 comments:
Thank you, Toby (and Kelly)!
I won't quibble too much with selections, but those interested in hearing the essence of Gregg Allman - outside the Allman Brothers Band - might enjoy the great version of "Midnight Rider" from his first and best solo album, Laid Back. A very good, even great song (that he wrote), this version indulges his pop sensibilities (strings, extra keyboards) while capturing the astonishingly craggy voice of a 25 year old.
The record is on all of the streaming services, but if you would like to grab the MP3s directly, here are some links to my NAS:
Song alone at http://gofile.me/3ARWZ/iAIdawcTu
Full Album (ends with a fun version of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken") http://gofile.me/3ARWZ/yzjjDQPg0
Toby was kind not to include a track from either of Gregg Allman's albums with Cher, Two the Hard Way or the magically-named Allman and Woman.
Happy New Year!
I (too) love these RIP mixes. Hope to get to listen to it soon.
Harry Dean Stanton was a musician. I saw him play old time country at the (old) Sweetwater in Marin circa 1989. There was a rumor that Elvis Costello was gonna join him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDi6Rfl2tS4
In related news, I claim no familiarity with the career or work of Al Jarreau.
But I turned out to have one of his records, apparently a gray market compilation from the early '80s, called "Sings Bill Withers".
I just gave it a spin and found it worthy. Best I can tell he just imitates the Bill Withers recordings - one could do much worse. "Lean on Me" is probably the strongest cut, but it's all quite listenable.
So in the spirit of Bonus Tracks to an excellent RIP 2017 mix, links to MP3s on my home system here (I'll probably take these down in February '18, since I think these comments are publicly viewable, so if you have trouble grabbing the tracks, just ping me directly):
http://gofile.me/3ARWZ/aSIpCjfsO
By the way, on the Jarreau record the final track, "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh" is also excellent, though nearly indistinguishable from Bill Withers himself.
I'm sure that I'm not alone when I hear news of any musician's passing and think of Toby.
Sorry Toby. But, also, not sorry. Very much looking forward to listening.
Another gem!
That Roches tune sent me through an unexpected wormhole back through time, the Allman Brothers track melded beautifully, and the next thing I know: Louis Prima! How did we get here? Excellent stuff. Many thanks, Toby!
SAM K, yes, I had Harry Dean Stanton on an earlier version. Love that man. Met him at the premier of Paris, Texas and he was drunk and grew a little befuddled when I told him how much I liked Rancho Deluxe. In the end I deleted him because the mix was getting Soooo long and the thing about him as a singer is that he really just sounds like HDS the movie star singing a song, if that makes sense. In other news, Jim Nabors also died last year.
Toby
Dude, you never disappoint and your mixes always make me smile. I love Hey Joe and I have not thought of the Smithereens in years... Sweet potato sin (omg). it took all of my self control not to start dancing on the metro on my morning commute.
You've done it again Toby, an incredibley crafted playlist, great informative, entertaining notes and all sorts of old and new tunes. Bear with me, I got a lot out of this one.
My dad also passed away in 2018 but at 88 he was ready. He wasn't much of a music person, in fact one of the examples my mom sited for divorcing him was that he liked to play duck call records on the few occasions they had guests over. In his next phase as a bachelor he did acquire the LP of my youthful dreams, Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream.
That's a great pick for a Roches tune and makes for a wonderful first segue. Tim Carroll and I saw them in the mid- 80s in some small club somewhere south of Market in SF if memory serves. I also recall Suzzy Roche flirting with us a bit. Tim, am I crazy??
One of my bad habits in high school was occasionally pilfering records when my budget was tight. One LP I acquired that way is the aforementioned by Ethan, Gregg Allman's Laid Back, which in addition to having a superior recording of Midnight Rider also features the bluesy Queen of Hearts, one of my favorite ballads. Great album cover art too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrFpR59_vQ
I agree, That Ol' Black Magic is just that. I love this Keely Smith/Louis Prima version. Do you think Prima was the inspiration for the crooner in Broadway Danny Rose?
Songs that I haven't heard in decades are some of the great surprises in your mix. Angle Baby and Last Kiss are the kind of pop songs I grew up loving. Thank goodness I've never heard the Pearl Jam cover. I couldn't take more than a few verses when I checked it out. Sorry, not a fan.
There's no Della Reese in my collection. What a great version of Whatever Lola Wants. I've only heard it on the Damn Yankees ST. Is she always this sassy? Love it!
Gotta be the best version of Ooh Child. Just beautiful and haunting at this tempo.
My mom also wasn't much in to music, i.e. preferring Dean Martin or Jerry Vale to Sinatra, but she did have this Glen Campbell record. Another timeless gem.
The next four tracks sent me right back to high school (class of '75).
I was never into J. Geils but when we lived n Boston for two years in the mid-80s we did see Peter Wolf walking down Newberry St once. Of such things memories are made.
Soundgarden is one those bands on your playlist, like The Smithereens and The Tragically Hip who I know by name only. When it comes to late Johnny Cash I've gotta say, God bless you Rick Rubin.
And speaking of those groups who've somehow escaped me I really liked The Smithereens, Can and Tragically Hip tunes halfway though a first listen and they've only grown on me. Wonderful to get this new music, thanks.
I always get a kick when a familiar song suddenly switches to another language. Hey Joe is right up there with Hombre Secreto by the Plugz from the Repo Man ST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LdTe2EbrLk
I feel fortunate to have seen Charles Bradley a few years back at The Fillmore. He was incredibly earnest and grateful for this new stage in his career. So sad that his late success was so short lived.
I got introduced to Al Jarreau on Saturday Night Live way back when. We Got By is still a favorite. Light jazz but soulful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD5oCUqrvMk
Is Steely Dan a band folks either love or hate? Count me among the former. From the first time I heard Do It Again thru Katy Lied being the LP I played to death in '77 and throughout their career I've been a big fan. Bummer I never saw them live. That's one reason why my wife Leslie and I see about 4-5 live shows a month. Live music has replaced going to the movies and it's great that you remind us annually about how much music is out there and how fast it can slip away.
Mark – Yes! That Roches show we saw together way back in the Way Back was a joy. Good gawd, their harmonies tingle. What?! Suzzy Roche flirted with us? I don't remember that, but from here on I will forever fantasize that she did. I'll also fantasize that The Roches invited us to show them around San Francisco after the show. Singing Irish-American nerd sisters from Jersey know how to have a good time.
Coincidences. Had us a family outing a few months back to see/hear Donald Fagen play here in Austin. It was a great show, and naturally full of Steely Dan songs. The next morning the news came that Walter Becker had died. Poignant. Live-live-live-live and live, y'all! Life is temporary, and it can be gone in any instant.
Lovely mix, Toby. Hammond Song gives the chills. Wichita Lineman, too. Vitamin C energizes. Hüsker Dü doing the MTM theme show song is a hoot! Love the opening with Joseph Fire Crow's First Flute Song. And, naturally this collection HAD to end with Highway to Hell.
Death equals memories... A friend of my mother's brought over debuts by Patti Smith and THE ROCHES, and then they were on SNL. Call me a heathen by I still listen to the beautiful Colourfield cover the most. My mum truly hated the Chuck Berry ding-a-ling song that was an AM car radio for a decade, along with so many priceless Glen Campbell songs. Shame, because everything else why the original Pee-r In Chief was the best.
The Smithereens were the right band at the wrong time -- isn't this what hits are supposed to sound like?? Bittersweet Garage power-pop goodness at its peak and Pat DiNizio's songs were really well written (and had a touch of Elvis Costello about them). Replace every word about them, minus the EC bit, for Tommy Keene. Likewise, the big lumbering wrestler fan dude had the post Husker Du career but weren't the songs that got played on '80s alternative radio all written by Grant Hart???
I had no idea growing up that Holder Czukay was in Can...he did this funny synth comedy record that got played on Dr Demento!
Charles Bradley deserves to be here -- so does Fats Domino. If you are named after a body type and are in music you are great. That's a music law. Like everybody, I had assumed he was already long dead.
Unlike Al Jarreau -- lets watch that Moonlighting title sequence one more time -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQaE5zDn1Q . He was an SF social worker back in his jazz club salad days.
Like a loser character in a Steely Dan song, Walter Becker once barely survived getting hit by a NYC taxi while crossing the street only to have his girlfriend O.D. while he was recouping. Turns out Tom Petty was hiding similar stories. Petty and the Pretenders were the 2 bands that were beloved by punks, new wavers and mainstream rock crowd. How many other 1970s acts were so great (or even consistently good) in the '80s and '90s???
Thank you, Toby. Your RIP mixes are always a highlight of each year.
My grandmother used to love to tell the story of when she met Fats Domino, back in the 80s. She was visiting a friend in New Orleans who knew him. They went to his home in the ninth ward where he greeted them at the door. He had a grand piano in the middle of a large, round front room. He played them a song and they sat and chatted a while. She said he was one of the nicest people she'd ever met.
Valerie Carter's version of Ooh Child has been my favorite ever since I first heard it in the 70s. Spectacular.
Duck call records, I love it! I gotta get me some of those, for those lingering guests who have trouble finding the door.
Any version of "Hey Joe" is good by me. So many surprises in this mix - hadn't heard about the passing of Tommy Keene, Rosalie Sorrels or Pat DiNizio - three longtime favorites. Love that Roches track. And that Baby Huey track - how come everybody knows James Brown but no one knows Baby Huey? Life ain't fair.
Angel Baby's fourth note is maybe my favorite rock and roll note. Just a bit off and sinister. Mark, I think you're right about Steely Dan, it's love or it's hate. I love 'em and I never get tired of this song. I like hearing Fagan sing the word "Annandale." "Shadow of a Doubt" is my favorite Petty song next to "Luna" and VC's version of "Ooh Child" always reminds me of the movie Over The Edge, which happens to be a really good movie. Nice tributes, Toby. Keep 'em coming.
TOBY! I agree about HDS's music. Jim Nabors had a good run. I vaguely remember when Gomer Pyle was on reruns & then Jim Nabors album ads were added to VHS channels, along with obscure country singers who supposedly sold more records than the Beatles. When I heard Nashville Skyline, Dylan's "country" singing reminded of Jim Nabors & I wondered if there was an influence. Here, Gomer sings Dylan, and talks like Mr. Rogers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=HJ4--fWQDtw
Hey, 3mpmp IT, what's going on? I'm being asked for a Username (along with Password)? Anybody else having this problem?
http://www.kellyniland.com/3MPM/index.php
Thanks once again for an always delightful survey of those music makers who have departed this plane.
Great to hear from ya’ll. Especially as I’m sitting here listening to the classic A Now mix that Ms Niland mixed up for us a few years back. Can’t wait for the next sonic assemblage.
Hi Toby: Loved these liner notes and of course loved the mix too. First of all: shout out to Suburban MD! I grew up in Potomac and went to Wootton HS. Anyway, I love love LOVE the Roches. Maggie had such a unique voice, and as harmony singer myself I just weep at their output. And speaking of vocalists, Cuba Gooding Sr. was one of my favorite singers. So expressive and beautiful but never over the top. Put me down as a HUGE Steely Dan fan as well. I remember taking my paycheck from working at Montgomery Mall and buying all The Dan LPs I could find. Lots of other good stuff on here as well: new to me and most enjoyable were the Valerie Carter and Charles Bradley tracks. THANKS!
Hey Sam -- I'm having the same problem. I thought I knew a user/pw combination, but i'm locked out...
Last year sucked, but this mix certainly does not.
Thanks for summarizing the year in such a thoughtful and clever manner.
Cheers, Toby!
Ray
It's a bummer to see all the RIPs for the year, but a great listen. Always enjoy your detailed liner notes. Good stuff. Thanks.
Post a Comment