January 1, 2015!
Miracler
Toby Barlow
Location
Detroit
Who's on it?
Toby Barlow's on it. Our Ministry of Memorial-ization has graced us with another year-end musical wrap-up, and it's a good thing, too, after some of 2014's hits. This guy gave us RIP mixes from 2013 and 2012 and 2011 and 2010 and 2009 — did you really think he'd leave us hanging?
Liner Notes by TB
Here’s a nice little
intro tune to warm us up. The writer of this one, Arthur Smith, had to sue to
get paid when the song was used in the film Deliverance and subsequently became
an unlikely smash Billboard hit (hard to imagine a banjo tune making it this
big these days. But then, you never know.)
Ah, Pete Seeger. It was extremely difficult to pick a song of
Pete’s, his influence is so deep, profound and beautiful, from the Byrds “Turn,
Turn, Turn” to Peter, Paul, and Mary’s “If I Had A Hammer” to Judy Collins
“Where Have all the Flowers Gone?” to the joyful covers Springsteen put
together, including the raucous “Pay Me My Money Down.” But I picked this one,
not for the Weeds fans out there, but because I remember him
singing it in an old documentary about the Weavers, which I saw as a kid down
at the Key Theater in DC, and in it he described how he came up with the song,
driving over the hill from San Francisco and looking at the lousy buildings
they had strewn up across the hillsides above Brisbane. Years later, when I had
moved west, I always thought of that song whenever drive down to SFO, imagining
how beautiful that land must have been once, a long time ago…
Rosetta Hightower was with the Orions when they sang this tune,
Wah-Watusi. It was produced by Dave Appell. Appell was a busy guy, hustling, producing,
writing and performing novelty tunes like The Mexican Hat Rock amongst others.
He made a lot of stuff happen in the burgeoning Philly music scene, a
scene that – as we all know - rivaled Detroit and Memphis as the heart of where
American music was back in the 50’s. I wish we still felt cities in music like
we did back then.
Sugaree is a great word. It almost sounds like it’s got powers
beyond. The Grateful Dead ran with it, Mary Lou Lord made good use of it, Greta
Gaines sings it, but to my knowledge Rusty York was the first to make a hit out
of that magic word.
I remember driving down I-95 one beautiful day in the early
eighties when Blondie had just broken big with this song. It was on every radio
station we drove through from NYC through Philly and Baltimore to DC. I loved
it, because I was a huge Blondie fan and had just a mad crush on Debbie Harry,
but it also confused me a bit, because it didn’t sound like a Blondie song.
Well, I was right. It was really a Paragon song. And John Holt was the one who
made it eternally theirs.
Meanwhile, at pretty much the same time, in the underground scene,
this one was everyone’s tune. You couldn’t go anywhere around DC without
hearing this it covered by punk bands of some stripe. All the mohawk kids I
knew were screaming this out, I thought it was a DOA tune and then I thought it
was a Sex Pistols tune, but it turned out it was a Paul Revere tune first. Paul
Revere Dick was another musical hustler out of Boise, Idaho. It has been argued
that his band was just a poor man’s Creedence, but I think they’ll come out on
the right side of history.
When you talk about the heart of the 3 Minute Pop Miracle, if The
Kinks are the right ventricle, then the Small Faces are probably the left. Ian McLagan
played keyboards for the band, and later, with the addition of Rod Stewart and
Jeff Beck, he played keyboards for the now not so small Faces.
Bobby Montgomery wrote Misty Blue. What a beautiful song.
Anna Gordy Gaye was Barry Gordy’s sister and the wife of Marvin
(notably, she was also 17 years older than Marvin.) She was also a dynamite
force on her own, helping to pen numerous songs and running her own record
label. The Gordys were as close to royalty as you could get in Detroit and Anna
was a key player in their kingdom. In the end, though, she is mostly remembered
for the fact that Gaye’s entire album “Here, My Dear” was, in essence, his
alimony payment.
“Grazing in the Grass” is indeed a gas. Jessica Cleaves sang it
out with the Friends of Distinction. Coincidentally, I heard someone the other
day singing the “I can dig it, he can dig it, she can dig it, we can dig it”
part which says this was more than a one hit wonder, it is now a part our
cosmic unconsciousness. Dig it.
Speaking of coincidences, I sincerely doubt anyone except the most
hardcore 3 Minute Miracler would even care about what I’m about to lay down,
but here it is:
The Crusader’s rhythm and blues tune “Street Life” came out in ’79
and was a soul hit, disco hit, and charted at #36 on the pop charts. It was in
the soundtrack to Burt Reynolds “Sharkey’s Machine” and Tarantino’s “Jackie
Brown.” The tune was written by Joe Sample, who died on September 12th.
Now, get this, on the exact same day, September 12, 2014, John
Gustafson also died. And he played bass on “Street Life.” No, not the
aforementioned ’79 hit by the Crusaders but rather the classic title track by
Roxy Music from the ‘73 album Stranded. Gustafson played on some of
Roxy’s best albums, including Country Life, Siren and Viva.
Alvin Stardust seemed to be riding the caboose in the glittery
Starlight Express train that was glam rock in the 70’s.
Listen to Bobby Key’s sax. On countless Stones tunes, Key was the
root tying them to what they really wanted to be, southern, fun, and over the
top. He was the connection. Bobby played on other stuff too, his solo into on
Lennon’s “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” is clearly the inspiration for
SNL’s sax opening, which for a lot of us is the tune that defines Saturday
Night. Which is saying something.
Search and Destroy. The Stooges’ Scott Ashton is gone. Now, only
Iggy remains.
The Monks are fascinating, named as an influence by Jack White and
others, these early purveyors of garage rock are pretty much completely unknown
by anyone who does not name them as an influence. Early in their career they
crossed paths with an all too clever German promoter who said he would back
them if they shaved the top of their heads like actual monks. Brian Epstein this
fellow was not and the Monks promptly vanished into deep, deep obscurity. Gary
Burger sang lead.
Speaking of those nutty Germans, here’s one of the unlikeliest
songs ever to become a hit that then, years later, became the unlikeliest
jingle ever which in turn launched one of the best advertising campaigns of the
last 25 years. Who’d a thunk this little Trio song would do all that? Well,
Gert Krawinkel probably did, he played guitar and sang on the tune.
Admittedly, this next entry is a bit of a hangover from Lou
leaving us back in 2013, but Maggie Estep was a trooper who departed way too
soon. She was a legitimate spoken word star back when MTV thought that genre
was going to be the next big thing. But then people figured out rap was a lot
more fun. Maggie reminds me of the New York City when you could eat at Florent,
shop at Tower Records, and gaze over at Brooklyn like it was Narnia.
Phil Everly passed away too. When I was a kid, his stuff already
sounded old, and it took some time for my ears to open up to it all. But once
you hear it, once you know what that magical harmony is all about, well, it
stays with you, humming in you rib cage and chest plate and on up your spine
into the heart of your lizard brain, where it trues you.
Did anyone ever misunderstand Joe Cocker? I suppose some people
only saw him as a clown, but those are the sort of people who misunderstand
everything. They don’t know what money is for, or sex, or honeybees or two
dollar bills (fyi, two dollar bills are for tipping bartenders with because
they’re twice as good as one dollar bills.) Not to get all preachy, but if you
don’t understand Joe Cocker, you had better stop and question a lot of the
elemental things currently surrounding you, because chances are you’re completely
wrong about most of it. Sorry.
Alberta Adams was a Detroit singer who went to Chicago and
recorded for Chess Records and then she came back to Detroit and sang until she
couldn’t sing anymore. She died last week at the age of 97.
We’re going to leave with Pete again, because what he sang about
was what we all need to sing about, every single day. These struggles of ours
never end and we have such a long way to go, so very far. We have to work
together and we have to be generous and kind and we have to keep trying to get
there. So, play this loud and sing along with the fullest voice you have. Get
everyone around you to sing along too. Just do it, right now, it might feel
silly or square at first, but it won’t feel silly by the time you’re through
singing, because it’s a really, really good song.
Mix is UP. Same password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. HAPPY NEW YEAR, MIRACLERS! XOK
Mix is UP. Same password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. HAPPY NEW YEAR, MIRACLERS! XOK

11 comments:
It should be pointed out that Kelly has inserted a lil' hot link up there to Ian McLagan's super charming and informative NPR interview. At the very least, have a listen to that. And thank you Kelly!
Toby, I look forward to this mix every year, as much for your curation and commentary as for the music. I keep too many notes and lists in life and one thing I do throughout the year is mark on my weekly calendar the passing of noteables and God knows 2014 had plenty.
Thanks for the double heaping of Pete Seeger and I followed your admonition to sing along at the end. Lottsa great music here too and loved hearing Steppin' Stone by Paul Revere (Kicks, all-time fave). I haven't heard the Crusaders Street Life since it last left the airwaves. The Crusaders being one of my gateway paths to jazz. Great Joe Cocker selection and thanks for introducing me to Alberta Adams. Loved the growling horn section behind her.
Happy New Year Toby and Miraclers. Another most excellent way to remember the past and look forward, onward and upward.
Mark Mothersbaugh must have listened to a lot of Small Faces. All I hear is "Gut Feeling."
Roxy Music forever.
Although, seriously, rock 'n' roll never got better than 1957. Sugaree? C'mon...
Mark Mothersbaugh must have listened to a lot of Small Faces. All I hear is "Gut Feeling."
Roxy Music forever.
Although, seriously, rock 'n' roll never got better than 1957. Sugaree? C'mon...
(And it should be said that a kick-ass mix could have been made from Joe Sample tracks alone.)
This is probably my favorite Proj RIP mix so far, which is both great but perhaps kind of melancholy as well. Pretty much every track hits one or more of my various sweet spots.
Of the stuff I was unfamiliar with I really enjoyed the Rosetta Hightower and Rusty York numbers, and the 'Grass" was indeed highly dig-able- a fine groove. The Everly Bros selection was mighty tasty too. As mentioned in this space earlier, Vicious was a pretty important piece for my youthful development and I liked this version a whole bunch.
Weirdly enough, on Dec 1, 2014, the wife and I happened to drift onto a bit of 'Shine a Light' and she remarked on Bobby Keys' enthusiastic soloing during one number and asked who he was; I said, "Bobby Keys... he's dead now" having briefly mixed him up with Ian Stewart in my brain.
And lastly, I should note that your optimism and fortitude in memorializing Mr. Seeger as you have here is quite beautiful and shames my shriveled anger and despair.
Well done, as always!!
Had no idea Paul Revere and the Raiders did Steppin' Stone before the Monkees (and that it was on their fifth album!) Speaking of bands starting with M-O-N-K, the Monks are crazy, man. Love the Cocker, the Roxy, the Sample and the York. Dig how medicated Marvin sounds singing about his Ex. Also, every year, you introduce me to a few folks I should know but don't. This time, it's Maggie Estep and Alvin Stardust. I shouldn't be able to miss people I've never heard of, but I do.
Thanks for compiling this goners list again this year, Toby. It'd be a good mix even without the honoring of the departed theme. Danny Lee speaks for me re Steppin' Stone, thought it was originally Monkees w/ Malcolm somehow tricking his monkeys into playing it. I have 4 words for Alvin Stardust: Spirit in the Sky!
The Joe Cocker track here is still ruling really hard!!
Also: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Curabitur neque lacus, bibendum semper turpis nec, dapibus pharetra ipsum. Nam congue nisl quis mollis eleifend. Integer maximus rutrum egestas. Sed sed est et lorem facilisis fermentum consectetur ac nisi.
Always a great reminder of who we lost and who we'll miss. I'm glad Pete Seeger had such a long, fruitful life, but I also felt he had it hard. He was misunderstood at times when he ways dead-right about things, and he didn't fare to well when he was dead-wrong about things (Newport). Great nuggets of ephemera in your intro! Thanks!
Post a Comment