Monday, June 2, 2008

Pop Incarnate

Date:
June 2, 2008

Miracler:
SB

Location:
San Francisco

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best Cover so far? & I have yet to hear thee damn thang!

the mighty said...

Dig your mix Steven! I have a 45 of Julie's been working for the Drug Squad somewhere!

Doug said...

Beauty mix, Stephen. Who knew that Fila Brazillia could sound like a pop band? (Or a band, for that matter.) And now I can finally stop my search for that elusive Elvis Costello song, "Back of My Hand." Fantastic cover! Did you do it yourself?
Cheers,
Doug

artaud said...

I realize that working with a very agreeable art director has its rewards...props go to Lisa Gee for going through about 20 versions of the cover. We had Mary smoking a cigarette and a bottle of JD on the balcony, but cooler heads prevailed...

Anonymous said...

Well as a quite-disagreeable art director, I love what your agreeable one did! Miraculous mix, too. XOK

Anonymous said...

That's the most sensitive 'acid-house' mix I've heard yet.
All that bellowing bass and sputtering thunder booming out from your garret must have been to throw us off your trail.
Real men put the innocence mission on their mix tapes. I say.

Anonymous said...

Yes, very nice cover. Why, the angel on the right looks just like Miss Kelly.

Doug said...

You know, that angel on the right DOES look like Kelly - except her mouth is closed.

Anonymous said...

Dang, you've certainly raised the bar for cover design. Beautiful and surprising mix. Yo quiero bailar. Ay mama. Ay mama.

Anonymous said...

Damn, first Kelly w/ the surprise Tymon Dogg Clash song, & now Stephen w/ 10% Clash. I just today finished "Redemption Song," the Joe Strummer biography. You guys should check it out -- literally, it's in the library.

Anonymous said...

The fact that you opened with Heavenly Pop Hit, gave ME the Chills. Only to be cured by breakin out my The "Lost" EP. Thanks for reminding me of thoes Kiwi's!

artaud said...

Thanks Joni - The tracks from the Lost EP all became part of Kaleidoscope World. And if you don't have Submarine Bells, ya gotta get it!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh....Submarine Bells. Sacrificed to a 90's breakup. I managed to keep Brave Words though. Splitting up vinyl was always painful.
I'll have to get that one again!
PS-I'm still enjoying your mix- Fabulous work!

Ray said...

Oh my, Kaleidoscope World was/is genius.

Anonymous said...

I remember being a youngster in Missouri wallowing in an XL Throwing Muses t-shirt -- white, with the graphics from Hunkpapa -- and wondering what would become of me in my small town.

I was in love with Kristin Hersh, pre-Internet, before I could stalk her properly.

And I forgot them in this digital age, until last week when I finally made it to this mix and was reminded all over again.

Let the stalking begin!

Anonymous said...

Slacker check-in:
The Jags? The Jags? But I wanted that one! Ver-nice.