Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pop: Part 1

Date:
July 8, 2009

Miracler:
aNDEE

Location:
San Francisco

Getting a mix from this week’s Miracler
Is like getting your Hollywood gossip photos here. Pure, uncut, and fresh. That’s because this week’s Miracler is a man called aNDEE, aka Aquarius Records owner aka Guy Who Just Can’t Stop At One Disk. What’s that? One mix so long it fills up THREE CD's? True, friends: TRUE. To pace you, we're putting up the first third today, the second Thursday, and the final third on Friday. THAT'S ONE BIG MIX. And here's where your Hostess inserts the following: Commenting on mixes is a grand way to say ‘YEAH!’ to the Miracler.

Stuff about aNDEE
Here’s an interview someone did that’ll give you the main points.

About aNDEE by aNDEE
i have a store. i have a label. and i love pop.

have been a pop mentor (and occasionally mentee) to several miraclers, one of whom often accuses my taste in pop as being too 'boy'. and he IS a boy!

haven't made a proper mix in YEARS, seeing as my job is basically sort of like making giant mix tapes every two weeks.

hence the trouble editing. i have always had a thing for double, triple, and sometimes even quadruple albums. which seems to have influenced my mixtape making as well. what can you do?

i left out some obvious faves and classics, figuring they had probably already been covered in the multitude of mixes that came before, but included plenty of unlikely poppiness in their place. dig it.

Check back on the site tomorrow for Part 2 of 3!
Mix is here. Awwwwwyeahhh, XOK

12 comments:

amanda said...

Mmmm. Only moments into this mix, but I'm finding this Pretty & Nice track to be particularly delicious!

Tim Carroll said...

Thanks for all the great music, aNDEE. Especially diggin' the last track. Whoa! Jad Fair singing "good"! Love the sax sound-- so 80s. Kramer's magical influence?

By the by, 3MPMPers-- Jad's great visual art is for sale. For cheapsies. Bought me some one-eyed cat art from him and it generates smiles everyday. Check Jad's myspace place.

Daniel Coffeen said...

Andee — it's not too boy at all, good sir, not this time around (Sloan aside — which, by the way, sounds great here). Even when it's boys singing. And how is there so much here you've never told me about: The Memories Attack, all low and luscious; The Rollo Tread sounding like Olivia Tremor Control; the postpunk yum of The Mabuses; the dreamy Jad Fair; the manic Black Bug...so much to chew on, so much to enjoy.

Once again, I am in your debt.

Kevin Seidel said...

Some good and obscure (even to me) stuff I've never heard, starting with the opener, Drill Team. They sound like an edgier Posies. Trans & Boats & Planes is the nicest song about scrotums and rectums I think I've heard to date. Lee Harvey Oswald band sounds like Peter Murphy and Bowie and better! Just into the second set now, and diggin it - maybe even more. Thanks for the education!!

gesticulador said...

all mixes are down? Or is it just me?
Cannot find www.kellyniland.com

gesticulador said...

thx!

kelly niland said...

Sorry, ya'll—Too much Aquarius Records-related traffic over the past few days has brought our little site to its knees, and I've had to purchase extra server space twice to keep the site up. While visitors are welcome here, too many of 'em is getting spendy for me, so gotta take most of the mixes down. Enjoy the current one, though, cuz it's a good'n. XO, Your Hostess

David said...

Aw shucks guys, I only got a chance to grab the first 1/3 of Andee's mix. Is there any possibility of sendspacing the rest?

Also, what an awesome idea for a project, kelly. Keep up the great work!

kelly niland said...

Sorry, David—There was so much activity here over the weekend that the site crashed so hard, I still haven't been able to receive or send emails from it since Saturday (it's now Tuesday night) and this site is really intended for my business (I'm self-employed). Zoinks!

I'm now focusing on that, but maybe someone else can post the rest of aNDEE's mixes for you somewhere else. But I'm sincerely glad you like the project. On a good day, it's a lot of fun.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

As I was one of those horrible leeches who brought the site to its knees, he's something back...
SendSpace links for the files:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vmri9d

http://www.sendspace.com/file/magkcy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ryp6tb

kelly niland said...

YEAH!!!! Thanks, Anonymous! This is GREAT. Just got my site/email up last night, so thanks for pitching in.

Much obliged,
XOK

David said...

Thanks so much! Very much appreciated.