Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Month of Sundays

Date
December 8, 2010

Miracler
Gioia diBiase

Location
Was NYC/Now SF!

Stuff about GdB
With her wavy auburn mermaid tresses and porcelain skin, Gioia, who gave us this Hostess fave in March '09 and then this Multo Italiano Bonus Mix in November '08, has just stepped out of a Botticelli painting and into your iPod®. A fabulously talented graphic designer, La Gioia splits her time between SF and NYC—that is, until next month. SF WINS!

With artists including Telekinesis!, St. Vincent w/The National, Jack Peñate, and The Black Keyes, "A Month of Sundays" will bring joy (gioia?) to even the darkest rainy December mornings.

Mix is up; same password. See you back here or on our I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter, members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

17 comments:

Tim Carroll said...

A tasty and tasteful mix, Gioia. Yum!

Of late 3MPMP mixes have been reintegrating onto my 'puter with the tracks all out of order. I'm guessing this one's listing came through A-OK, however. The segue between "Coast of California and "Sleep All Summer" works beautifully. Closing with "The High Road" sounds right too.

Speaking of Broken Bells' songs, aren't they all just about perfect? Hard to pinpoint why, but there's something about that album that sounds so mid-70s FM radio-- yet not. Pairing Mercer's voice with analog-sounding synths is some good alchemy. Though obviously masterful stuff, I never latched onto The Shins. That super-flexible soaring voice is better heard when slowed down a bit and not competing with jangly, treble-on-treble guitars.

"Zebra" has an Elliot Smith-sounding chorus. Haunting.

That Black Keys number channels T-Rex. Simple and effective.

Anonymous said...

I saw The National at Radio City and both St. Vincent and Sufjan Stevens sang backup. Then, a couple months later, the Arcade Fire guitarist played with them at Lollapalooza. Other musicians really seem to love them. Rightfully so, I might add.

Really nice mix. A bunch of my favorites from this year, including Beach House, Band of Horses and the aforementioned Broken Bells. And yes, that album is damn near perfect.

-- Kellen

Jeanne-Marie said...

GORGEOUS MIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xtina said...

A certain Gioia seems to be channeling my go-to house mix this week, so much so that when I first looked at the playlist it almost creeped me out. To the point where I even looked over my shoulder, saying "Really?!". I'm still downloading, so track specific comments will have to wait, but how excited am I to discover the new tracks that are frosted in between my favorite layers of cake. It's guaranteed love, right? How could it not be.

Daniel Coffeen said...

Wow. Wow, again. With no offense to others — to each one's own, after all — this is the mix that's getting me all riled up. A few comments, in no particular order:

Right this moment, it's Tinariwen: how does one get that cool? No Yid from Westchester could do that.

The Broken Bells: delectable, sweet, seething.

The Stars of Leo started shaky for me — I almost hit next — and then it jumps gears and set my heart a patter.

An ardent Beach House fan, always good to see it. That record is in endless rotation 'round here.

The Avett Brothers: not really my thing on paper but it sounds mighty fine.

Jack Penate: fucking sexy!

St. Vincent — sounds a bit like Lambchop to me, only a bit more interesting.

And The Black Keys doing a great T-Rex type thingy.

I am really, really enjoying this. Thanks so much.

andeeeeeeeee said...

nice mix! love jack penate. always wondered why he didn't get more love.
was resistant to broken bells for some reason, but have definitely been won over.
and that telekinesis song has to be one of the best indie pop jams of the last 10 years.
xo

Gioia said...

Wow, I'm happy y'all are digging these tunes as much as I am. I was a little afraid some of this stuff might have been overplayed this past year, but hey, that's not against the rules is it? I was struck by all of these songs for different reasons. The Band of Horses tune in particular is straight out of my 1970s childhood. I'll always have a special place in my heart for long-haired men in beards singing in harmony.

Christina, sounds like we have very similar taste! Would love to hear how you like the rest of the mix and really look forward to hearing yours.
Thank you, Miss Kelly for making this all happen. It's been a process of discovery for me.

G

Anonymous said...

Speaking of long-haired men in beards singing in harmony, check this out:

http://vimeo.com/16261698

One of my favorite concert moments of the year. It's getting late, everyone is getting a little anxious and, all of a sudden, Ben and that other guy just show up in a balcony. Very cool.

-- Kellen

Gioia said...

Kellen,

That was beautiful! I need to get to live shows more often.

Thanks for posting.
-- Gioia

Kelly Niland said...

Here is what I do when I get to the end of this mix: I press play.

XOK

Kevin Seidel said...

Love it all. Many favorites here.

Van said...

Great mix. Love that Avett Bros. song. And, I never thought I would comment on cover-art, but that photo is spectacular.

peter byer said...

That Telekinesis song is simply infectious - one of the highlights of a fine, fine mix.

xtina said...

sometimes it takes something random like enjoying a song on someone's mix to realize that an artist you like have a new album out. how did i not know that band of horses had a new album? i think something about the fact that all their records kind of 'look' the same ... and the album titles all seem like ones i already have ... or i'm just dumb. anyway, thank you gioia and 'factory' for helping me stay on top of things. that song is really pretty.

Laura Compton said...

Every time I listen to this mix, I love it more ... and find a new favorite song to be obsessed with.

Doug said...

Tinariwen - what a blessed breath of non-indie fresh air! Sorta mitigates hearing Matt Berninger's voice on yet another mix.

Loved Telekinesis!, Beach House, Band Of Horses, K'naan, Jack Peñate. And of course, the other usual suspects. Thank you, Gioia.

xtina said...

I can't stop listening to this particular mix. Thank you so much Gioia; I keep finding new songs to love. Today's new one: K'naan.

Luvving