Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Welcome Spring

Date
April 27, 2011

Miracler
Steven Trujillo

Location
Santa Fe

'Member Steven?
He brought us Rocket Sled in Feb. '10, which elicited such enthusiasm as "Whoa! So cool you put Mysteries of Life on this mix!', "Super fun stuff," 'Solid mix—what a crazy guilty pleasure that last one is! That's the one goes over the closing credits, right?", and "Really fun mix, thank you. Especially for I Was a King: the confluence of two things I love dearly—Teenage Fanclub and Norwegian rock."

Liner Notes
Fairly schizoid tracks–just things that have had hooks in me of late.

(1) seriously outs me as a fan of manufactured mainstream pop and an iCarly fan to boot. But I loves this stuffs.
(2) is E-Dubble's welcome-spring track from a Freestyle Friday in 2010
(3) is from This American Life's Breakup Song remix contest. Read about the episode here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/339/break-up and the contest here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/339/break-up/songs
(4) I just suggested to a junior-miss contestant I know that she consider using
(5) for the talent portion of her program. She asked "Well, what would I do while this music played?" I told her I didn't think it mattered much.
(6) was the first song I heard the glorious fever-broken morning after the night I spent in Chama, NM, thinking I was going to die on the way home from my cousin Steve's bachelor party (canoe trip: 5 canoes, 10 boys, 15 cases of PBR, 2 coolers of rapidly spoiling raw chicken; on and often in the I'm-quite-sure-Giardia-laden Gunnison River in SW Colorado). Good times.
(8) Heavy rotation of late.
(9) The novelty of frequent travel to OMA has not yet worn off (It will). Every time I book, this song (and often this version) plays in my head.
(10) Having a dog bark to start your song slightly increases my likelihood of enjoyment.
(11) "Larry"? Really?
(14) I feel like I'm an undergrad again.

Cover image is National Spelling Bee winner (and runner-up) in 1940. Lots of fingerprints on that trophy. Winning word was "THERAPY". Seriously.

Bio
I have an exquisite selection of etiquette books and am a nationally-acclaimed self-taught taxidermist. I recently accidentally purchased a small-game license along with my intended purchase of a fishing license and so have a sudden interest in squirrel recipes that do not involve cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup; any help would be appreciated. For Earth Day this year I celebrated the anniversary of my participation in a recently-declassified project creating a completely synthetic planet identical to our own earth that sits directly opposite "our" earth and is thus never visible to us, always hidden by the sun. We are launching a probe to that planet later this year which will carry, among other things, the entirety of the 3MPM archive and the means to play it back, loudly. I was an extra in "Red Dawn" (1984) and "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" (1981). My Philip Glass parody opera should drop in 2013; the Ira Glass parody opera should drop in 2017. Lately, work has taken me on frequent trips to Omaha (Nebraska), where independent record stores continue to thrive for some odd reason. Most of the above are lies.

Mix is up. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
Until next week,
XOK

14 comments:

xtina said...

I am completely titillated

alix said...

iCarly followed by E-Dubble? My brain is reeling!

Wormburner carried me through to the end of the day today....I suspect I'll be boppin' my way to BART tonight.

: )

alix said...

Um, had to pop back...I commented while I was half way through. I'm now at the end....I'm totally loving this....keeps getting better and is indeed loaded on ze olde iPhone for my walk home tonight!!!

Jeanne-Marie said...

I was trying to hold off until I had fully dug into this one, but I can't wait... first, I like the liner notes and then I am ready for anyone who puts embarrassing campy shit in their mixes. The Greycoats song must have been incredibly welcome after that devastating sickness, and somehow with out it, it still sounds great here. Naturally stoned - so weird. Not done yet either...
thanks!!!

John G. said...

I was confused (nothing new), but now I get it - Pike City Proper and Weekend are reversed. Like them both, though! Especially dig Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh. Cool.

3 Minute Pop Miracle Project said...

Oh lawdy--did I transpose stuff AGAIN? Dang. 6:39am: yet another time of day I'm a crap admin.

Sorry, folks...
XOK

John R said...

I haven't heard of any of these artists -except the Golden Palominos, who I forgot existed. Now I have to dig that album out of the closet while listening to this mix again and again.

Toby said...

This is my favorite one since the last one!

Steven T(rujillo) said...

So happy to make Alix's brain reel. And Toby - if you enjoyed it just half as much as I did, then I certainly enjoyed it twice as much as you.

Doug said...

Teenage Love Made Me Insane. That's all I'm sayin'...

Okay, maybe I'll say Weekend, too. And Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh. And this: thanks, Steven!

SB said...

This is what I'm talkin' about when I'm talkin' about liner notes. And I think I was at that batchelor party...

SB said...

Oh, and the music is great too - loved Rocket Sled, but this one has just as many tracks headed to my favorites.

Van Biesel said...

This mix hit just the right note for me. I was driving along the ocean with the kids and the volume just kept creeping up and up with each songs. Lots of favorites on this one--E-Dubble, Wormburner, Say Hi--but the Helmet Zacharias was the one that really got cranked.

peter b said...

Holy iCarly! Dig the E-Dubble meltdown. The Quit followed by Larry & The Blue Notes. And I concur in enjoying the Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh song. A nice mixed bag.