Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What a Mess: Ordophon-Upon-Avon Archives

Date
April 20, 2011

Miracler
Chris von Sneidern

Location
San Francisco

You'll recall Mr. vS
from his Nov. '08 mix I'd Rather Feel Normal Than Happy or perhaps it was this past December's Folk Songs from the Old Kit Bag, which elicited a whopping 22 comments, such as "I listened to this sublime mix from start to finish and thought of people who I would definitely be sharing it with—a loop indeed," "Makes me feel like putting together a wood working shop, so I could blast this mix as I made a rocking horse—or something," "Listened to this mix while working all night on a project. Hypnotic," "This mix hangs together so well, it feels like a soundtrack," and "I agree with Kelly," and "As always, I love your mixes—keep them coming!" Your wish: fulfilled!
Liner NotesI've been producing and engineering records for a while now, at various studios around SF.  I thought I'd go through my big box of CDs that I've collected of client albums.  Many of these songs I hadn't heard in years, and it was fun to go through it all again.  Here are a few that stuck out as playable for this "extra" 3MPM submission.  Thanks!  cvs                            
1. Another Road
  /   
Map of Wyoming
This album was made in trade for having my studio built in my basement, dug into the dirt below my house on Ord St.  That album went on for quite a long time!  We also built the album from the ground up.
2. Money Spider
  /  
The Swamis
Kevin Seidel plays the bongos on this, I believe.
3. The Tears Came Down On Billie's Eyes
  /  
Agnelli & Rave
Lauren Agnelli was in the Washington Squares. She and Dave came to SF, and with my friend Wes, we came up with this arrangement, my idea being that we keep changing keys, like in the Jeopardy! theme song.
4. Turned Around
  /  
Jerry Boxley
Jerry entered songs into a songwriting contest and won.  I never knew who entered those contests or why. I liked this one best.
5. We Can Talk All Night
  /  
Barbara Manning
When they put this out on record, they cut off the beginning where she asks, "Do I just say 1, 2, 3, 4?"  We made this in my bedroom on my reel to reel.
6. The Sun Is Shining For All
  /  
Earl Zero
Roger Clark brought this interesting project to me.  Earl is from Kingston, so I was told, and the band were all Santa Cruz hippie guys.  
7. Ord Street Trilogy
  /  
Bigwheel
I made two CDs with them.  This song was written (sort of) about my house being sold, and the studio space ultimately heading for landfill.  Before me, someone used the space to store vitamins.  A lot of them.
8. He Flew To the Sun
  /  
Fiji Mermaid
She's still asking for remixes of this tune.  Her real name is Justine, and I get a kick out of her most times we record.
9. Tune Of an Evening
  /  
Stephen Yerkey
My first gig as a producer in 1994.  Yerkey gave me two albums to listen to before we went to the studio- "Dreaming My Dreams" by Waylon, and "All I want to do in life" by Jack Clement.  This song sounds nothing like either of those LPs.
10. The Loving Kind
  /  
Tom Heyman
Tom is a legend in my own time.
11. Makes Me Feel Good
  /  
Pete Ham
This is the singer from Badfinger.  All his demos were on little reels in his brother's house in Swansea, and I was asked to overdub some instrumentation, a la "Free As A Bird" for the Lennon song.
Mix is up. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
Until next week,
XOK

18 comments:

xtina said...

I think the theme of this mix is so freaking cool. Super special and ultra one-of-a-kind. Makes me feel like I'm in the inner circle. Yeah, super rad. Thanks so much!

John G. said...

Wicked cool, as usual. What an eclectic bag of tunes you have, Mr vS - enjoyed it start to finish.

Daniel Coffeen said...

Really nice — I want to say "mature" music, in the best possible sense of that word: smart without being clever, emotional without being bathetic. And I really really like the Fiji Mermaid — exquisite. Thanks.

lauren said...

I really like the Fiji Mermaid too, and Tom Heyman. Lots of great homegrown songs here. Thanks.

Recliner Blog said...

More bongos!

Good stuff CVS. I think I like the last 2 the best because I'm a sucker for dirty tele's (assuming) and Badfinger. And I think I'd like to see the Fiji Mermaid live.

Danny Lee said...

Love the Bigwheel track. What a mosaic - I hear everything from Rundgren to Townshend's 1921.
The Swamis do a great latin/surf thing and Jerry Boxley deserves to have won the contest. Thanks!

Doug said...

Yikes. Great mix, Chris. Fiji Mermaid—sounds like a Mac default voice when she speaks, and Ann Magnuson when she "sings." Loved the Marshall Crenshaw vibe from Jerry Boxley. And all 14 songs on the Bigwheel cut. The Swamis played at my wedding, although Mr. Seidel hadn't joined them at that point. I don't think their first bongo player had exploded yet.

Steven T(rujillo) said...

So COOL. Kinda reminds me of Kelly's Miracle of Miraclers mix with so much homegrown smarts and talent. Difficult to pick favorites; multiple plays are heard with new ears each time. Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa said...

So I could hear your masterful hand in all of these before I read what was up. You have the best job (I use the term loosely)hard to single any out for attention from MOW's sweet daydreamy guitars to Pete Ham, it all feels good. Special shout out to B. Manning, lover her voice! I believe she used to make copies for me before she hit the big time.

Greg Ceniceroz said...

I'm only on the second song and heck yea. Thanks Chris.

Laura said...

Very intriguing collection here ... I'm really enjoying it. I love the connections and backstory as well.

Liz Costello said...

Mermaids! Taxidermy! Squirrels! I want to visit your miraculous world!

liz costello said...

or rather, your world plus trujillo's, 3MPM hash.

sircvs said...

Speaking of Map of Wyoming, there's talk of a reunion this sunday at the Make-Out room. And yes, Bobbie Manning, working at that copy shop on Mission/8th which is now either a porn store or a pot club.

John R said...

A very pleasant mix, thanks. Makes for a nice, lazy afternoon.

C.Fry said...

Sitting in the sun and listening to this mix. Really comes across as more cohesive than I would have thought based on the liner notes. Money Spider might be my favorite. Here's to getting it down on tape!

pepe verde said...

Thank you so much for this mix Chris! Great bunch of disparate tunes, totally cool theme of course... plus it's also nice to hear you singing backing vocals here and there, and I guess playing guitar and keyboards in many of them too? --try and beat that for coolness, Miraclers!
You made me look it up: "The Money Spyder",for that is the original spelling, is but a cover of a Jamie Taylor original! I always assumed his Quartet was covering a classic when they did that, and thanks to you, today I found out just what a fool I was when I gave that LP away. Ouch.
In particular the two songs that bookend this mix totally got me. Thanks again!

Toby said...

Wait, I wanted to say something great and original about this but everyone took the words right off the tips of my fingers!