Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Get Outta Town

Date
March 14, 2012

Miracler
Mark Ulriksen

Location
San Francisco

A Little About MU
When the fabulous Tim Carroll wrote to suggest I invite Today's Miracler into the Season 5 fold, I looked at the name and gasped. You mean THE Mark Ulriksen, illustrator extraordinaire whose work has graced countless New Yorker covers and other big mags, books, not to mention an award-winning series of SF Giants paintings? That guy? The guy who gets to hang out here all day and listen to music and make art? One and the same. Turns out Mr. Ulriksen is just a normal greatly-talented guy who also has an ear for fantastic music, and with today's mix, music that's largely new to The Prodge. I've been listening to this compilation on autorepeat for days and have no plans to stop. And since after this mix, The Prodge is taking a 2-week break, I'm taking Get Outta Town outta town/hemisphere as my New Zealand soundtrack.

Liner Notes from MU
This musical journey starts south of the border in Mexico, from the Babel soundtrack, travels to Cuba and the Carribbean for a mash-up before crossing the ocean to Europe. A certain British band recalls its German past and then another movie number, from The Talented Mr. Ripley, makes a stop in Italy. Continent-hop to North Africa and Cameroon and then meander all the way south to hear the Lion of Soweto and his Queens. Head northeast to hear the amazing Pakastani Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan get mixed up twice and the whole trip winds down in the wilds of Tuva, a remote republic east of Eastern Russia.

Mix is UP. Same password
.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.

See you back in early April and until then, keep the party rocking on our members-only Facebook page!
XOK

21 comments:

Kelly Niland said...

Oh, and PS: Mark personally painted my current Facebook profile pic! Okay, technically, Rolling Stone commissioned it and it was of Florence Welch and her eyes were green and there was no candy bar involved (Thanks, Doug Patt!) and, uh, I didn't ask for Mark's permission. But I like to think of it as a custom portrait nonetheless.

Gioia said...

diggin' it, diggin' it, diggin' it. Love this mix. Particularly Cumbia, Medicine Man, and Kinna Sohna. Thank you, Mr. Ulriksen!

Tim Carroll said...

!Me encanta la cumbia! Is this the first Cumbia song to make it to 3MPMP? I dig how you nudged the Colombian and Cuban beats towards Europe via De-Phazz. They're German-based, right? Paul singing "Get Back" in German is a hoot. As a fellow Beatlemaniac, I love the oddity of it. "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand," from way back in the Beatles' black-and-white years, has been a personal fave for decades, but this Deutsche-up is neu to me. The Mahotella Queens are ever lovely. (Spellcheckers -- it's "Mahlathini" without a "k" that the Queens are singing with.) That Tuvan Kongar-ol Ondar guy sure is a sweetheart. He played at the premiere of Genghis Blues at The Castro Theater, back in 1999. Afterwards he hung out in the lobby, chattin' it up with everyone. Thanks for the worldly mix, Mark!

Mark Ulriksen said...

Hey Tim, I was at that premiere at The Castro and Ondar strolled down the aisle right past us. And I saw Mahlathini and the Mahotella Queens at the Warfield back in the early 90s. Imagine the Ronettes in middle age, dressed liked the Flintstones, shakin'it. That Beatles tune is from a slew of underground stuff of theirs a friend was able to somehow unearth. There's plenty more oddities too.

jeffrey bell said...

Hey Mark, I took your advice and got outta town. We just pulled into Mammoth after a six hour drive from L.A. and "Get Outta Town" was the only stimulant we used. It was the perfect soundtrack as we drove through the wide open spaces of the Eastern Sierras.

Tu Vuo Fa' L'Americano delights and amuses me, but my current fave is "Thokozile." Over and over and over again. Did I mention over and over? Good thing we have a windshield, my teeth would be full of bugs from all the smiling.

Sam K. said...

Some good groves butt thats the problem with rap-hop -- cant hardly unnderstand a word their saying

Doug said...

A breath of fresh air (or should I say a scirocco?) here at The Project. Thanks, Mark, and welcome. At this point in my comments I'd usually list my favorites tracks, but I can't spell any of 'em. And let me take this opportunity to tell you that I have long admired your work.

Jeanne-Marie said...

For 3 days now "Get outta town" has been the music motivator during the homework hour!
They groove to it the whole time!

Bayoumi said...

I saw Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in Toronto a year or two before he died. Amazing voice. Men of all ages would go up on stage and dance and throw money at the musicians. Some of the young men danced very non-traditionally. Great global mix.

ArthurB said...

So many things to like about this mix. i love the tour the world vibe. I love bumping up against music streams other people live in and love. thanks for the rich rich fishing

Anonymous said...

Love that you included the track from The Talented Mr. Ripley. An excellent representation of so many cultures!

Paul Rhodes said...

Finally an Easter break, and this is the soundtrack! Medicine Man is the current pick of the crop for me, but it keeps changing every listen which is always a good sign.

Suzanne said...

After two long weeks suffering with losing data in the cloud, I come to you from a Dell laptop at work. Thanks for expanding my Manu Chao Pandora station. If only Zumba used this music, I'd be a swim suit model (instead of just a lowly hand model).

Sterling Bromide said...

I dig this without reservation. Particularly enjoying the De-Phazz, Blanquito Man, and Gaudi. Definitely got me out of town to somewhere where the drinks are potent and the women pulchritudinous. Sorry for taking so long to comment - I was outta town! Thanks Mark!

pepe verde said...

Welcome Mark! And thanks for a refreshing addition to our "Easter Weekend Gettaway - The OST".
A little trip within a trip, don't we all just love that.

I'm still mouth-aghast at the discovery of this fun piece of Beatles history; thank you so much for that too. Get Back, it doesn't quite sound the same, does it.

And what to say about the artwork, really? Awesome. As it is to have you with us! Only now our artwork will look crap ;-)

Mark Ulriksen said...

Thanks folks. Being a rookie I wanted to make a good first impression so the good vibes are good news.

Owen said...

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan always give me chills.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Pepe, re that obscure Beatles number, I have a load of those. A friend who knows what he's doing online burned me a dvd with all kinds of out takes. If you'd like I can burn you a disc.

peter b said...

Thanks for the musical trip outside my comfort zone. Dig the Latin rhymes and the nutty Deutch Beatles. On a side-note, I have to be a fan geek and say your illustration work is top-notch! Groovy cover art, of course, and super-groovy tunes too.

xtina said...

Kargyraa Rap is currently wah wahing out of my speakers and I'm digging the ethno-Muppetness of it. Keep expecting Animal to shout out and do a drum solo. A new favorite from an older mix, thanks Mark!

xtina said...

Still really loving this mix, Mark. Current favorites: Tu Vuo Fa' L'Americano and Sufani!