DateMiracler
Dan Weber
Location
Detroit
We Need To Talk about Dan.
He's gone and done it again. What? Turning us on to super-fantastic eclectic mega-hits that then burrow in our ears and won't leave, that's what. Need proof? This is the guy who in June '11 brought us A Lion on a Beach for Y'all, of which you said, 'I've had this on repeat for a few plays now and I'm totally digging it!' 'Pop and ballads and jangles and such. Frantic, romantic, indeed!' 'Behold 'I Don't Want To Cry' by The Keys!!! One of my favorite singles of all time,' 'The Keys. Yes. 3MPM. Yes. Thanks, Dan!' 'That J5 is news to me. Nice!', 'Kind of a mix in four lovely chapters, no? Loved it all week,' 'Jangly, spangly, cavity-causing pop confection,' and 'I put this playlist on a CD. Drove around another city with it. Left it in the rental car. Had it returned to me on my next rental in that city. Must find more Candi Staton recordings.'
Then before that wonderwall of sound, Dan made us Have Some Fruit, which introduced Your Hostess to a best-sing-along-of-all-time contender ('Hey Babe' by The Youngbloods), and then on top of that, you guys said: 'I'm not going to listen to this mix. I'm just going to keep re-reading the track list. That, I think, will bring me enough joy. More than I deserve, really." and "Top-notch mix from end to end. Good stuff for a grey and rainy Chicago morning. Many thanks!!" and "Let it PLEASE be him, or I shall die. Crazy. Huh? Whatever happened to the word 'shall'? Thanks for all the good stuff, Dan," and "Yeah, that Youngbloods song—it took me about 50 listens before I could move on to Track 6." and "What a rollicking romp! All written in the key of pop (more or less) and yet internally truly diverse." and "That Drifters tune is a classic," and "Yes, Kelly, you were right, I really do love this mix," and "As if the beginning weren't enough (the one-two sucker punch of the Groovies followed by 'Fools Fall in Love' was irresistible), this mix totally won me over with some killer things I didn't know at all and others that I hadn't heard in decades." and "Roy-era Groovies is gritty, love it! I agree with Doug, the track list was a 'like' (but we don't have that here on a button)." And that was before he came up with and paid off today's FANTASTIC theme. What's he got up his sleeve now?
Liner notes from DW:
Prodge Virdgins
Songs that have never before been presented? Too easy! I probed deeply for artists who have not yet made an appearance on any 3MPM playlist. A big thank you to our hostess, who has confirmed their purity. Enjoy the hell out of them. But please, be gentle.
Angels – Bodeans. Live track from ’88. Great band from an era when rock and roll was really hurting.Growin’ a Beard – The Ben Vaughn Combo. Most of his stuff’s more wistful and introspective, but he’s always had one boot in rockabilly.
Apple – The Picketts. For all you Rockpile fans, check out their song “Rockpile.”
Suicide Policeman – Yuck. Only their album art is yucky.
Alone Again Or – Bryan MacLean. The great Love song performed as a demo by the guy who wrote it.
The Radio Cries – Crack The Sky.They opened for every big rock band of the 70’s, but never really caught on. Are they better than Styx? You decide.
Baby It’s You – Phil Seymour. Came out of Tulsa with Dwight Twilley and crafted some of the best pop you’ll ever hear. His first solo album is the pinnacle of Power Pop. Died way too young in ’93.
Small Sparks – Your Youth. It must be thrilling to be able to come up with a new musical hook. How is it possible they’re not all taken?
East St. Louis – 20 Miles. Booze and blooze.
I Wish That I Could Be You – The Muffs. Always liked the way Kim Shattuck’s voice blends with the power chords.
Bewitched – Steve Lawrence. Sidney Liebowitz was no Sinatra, but he was close.
Baby’s Eyes – Starbelly. From the great International Pop Overthrow series. Pick up any volume. You can’t go wrong.
Hurts So Good – Millie Jackson. Long before she sang “Muffle That Fart,” she sang soul just about as sweet as anyone.
Love On My Brain – Jim Ford. Just found out about this guy. I think you’ll like him.
Moonlight Song – Blaze Foley. Townes Van Zandt on Blaze: “He’s only gone crazy once. Decided to stay.”
. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
18 comments:
Oh rats. I spelled Virdgins as intended here, but looks like I accidentally typed it in in the trad manner on the actual mix. Sorry, Dan—I far prefer your spelling.
Gawd, what a sloppy Hostess! Why we put up with you is beyond me. (Really enjoying your mix, Dan.)
I have had the privilage of exchanging first cassettes then CDs with Dan for 15 years, and this latest release from Detroit doesn't disappoint. The 45 minutes have been on repeat, and it all hangs together really well, when you consider the mix of styles it encompassed. What's not to like in power pop like Baby It'd You? Great compilation Dan. Paul
I just dowloaded the mix - Phil Seymour! I am instantly impressed. Now I can only guess what's been on those 15 years of cassette mixes!
I saw the Ben Vaughan Combo years ago and he blew the room away. His recorded stuff was never able to catch all of his energy and charm, maybe that's why he wasn't able to hit a greater success. It's great to see him in the prodge.
Looking forward to hearing this mix. Thanks Dan!
Bouncin' all over with the Americana of this mix. And now I'm going to name an English band on here that I like. Yuck. Just heard they are playing this weekend in SF. They intrigue me and their name is the biggest Fuck You since...I don't know, there must have been a band called Fuck You. "Growin' a Beard" could be the anthem for our neighborhood these days; seems like every guy is now doing it (except for me, but I am challenged in the facial-follicle arena). Love the Bodeans, MillieJ, and all the boozy bluesy in the mix. Nice work and thanks!
Really enjoyed this mix. My faves so far are Phil Seymour, Your Youth, 20 Miles, and Jim Ford.
Loving this sweet and true!
The Muffs, Millie Jackson, Starbelly and Blaze my current faves but it keeps changing. Thanks dan
Thanks Dan, I hadn't known, or had forgotten that (the non-Cougar Meloncamp) "Hurt So Good" was a Millie Jackson song. I was familiar with this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXSR8aZ6l-Q&feature=related
I usually don't like covers that stick close the original but the "faithful" Love cover really brings out the poppyness of the original.
Thanks for sharing!
Very nicely done. Yuck, The Muffs and Steve Lawrence all on the same mix. That's fantastic.
Thanks for this super-nice blend, Dan. My favorite song on the mix -- however hard to choose -- is Millie Jackson's "Hurt So Good." Jim Ford's voice reminds me of Bang Masters era Van Morrison. Similar soul power, but with less nasal vibration, and incredible range, especially in the high end. Nick Lowe calls Ford his biggest musical influence. That's cred, y'all. Rest in peace, Jim Ford. Blaze Foley: GREAT. That Merle Haggard hit, "If I Could Only Fly," is one of his. A tear-to-the-eye song if there ever was one. And speaking of beautiful losers, has Townes van Zandt made it onto the Prodge? The one song that doesn't completely hang with the rest is the Steve Lawrence number -- and yet I totally dig it. My mom loved Steve and Eydie, so they were part of my growing up soundtrack. I had no idea Steve was a Liebowitz. Fun!
For my money, "Are they better than Styx" is a pretty low bar to clear. That said - yes, Crack the Sky are. The yelpy vocals irked me slightly at first, but the rock won me over (kinda how I feel about Rush). Phil Seymour was new to me, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some more, 'cause this song is the bee's knees. I already love the Muffs, so that one was pretty easy to win me over with, and I was surprised to learn that the theme from "Bewitched" had lyrics. Crazy world. Lastly, that Blaze Foley song is indeed a thing of beauty.
Why did Milly Jackson end up making crappy party records? She's so good.
Great mix, top to bottom. Favorites: Bodeans, The Picketts, Millie Jackson, and Jim Ford. And, thanks for the special treat of "Alone Again Or"--I have heard countless covers, but never the original.
Jim Ford reminded me of Van Morrison when I liked him (that's a good thing). Dug the Muffs. Yuck - didn't know they had a softer side. And nice Starbelly. Thanks for a complete mix of things I'd never heard before.
"Hurts So Good": Loved this on first listen and immediately listened six times more. Then thought the experience was feeling a lot like hearing Candi Staton's "Heart on a String" for the first time and six times more...on "A Lion on a Beach for Y'All"...from, oh yeah, Dan Weber. So cool.
Dan, love how everything flows together for such an eclectic brew. Fun liner notes to boot.
I've been digging this mix for months, but "Baby It's You" just came on my shuffle, so I hustled upstairs, thinking, 'Okay, I know this isn't Cheap Trick, but who *is* it?!', and remembered I loved the track from your mix. Such a great find, thanks so much. LUVVIN IT!
Loving the Jim Ford track - a shaft of sunlight through frezing fog. Thanks for the tip Dan.
Paul Rhodes
Post a Comment