Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer Fur

Date
August 22, 2012

Miracler
Jeanne-Marie Greiner

Location
Chicago


Summer Fur  
'Member when we gave away a Quiet Miracler's upload date one morning a month ago? Well if it ain't Miss Central Time, up and at 'em, winning the thing, MERE MOMENTS after her Season 5 mix had gone up. Yes, that is raw nerve there.

Thankfully, the same ferocious spirit behind the mix behind the below comments has also crafted for us a fabulous, relentless summer mix that will have you believing Back To School must surely be months away. Enjoy it! Lord knows I have been.

Comments for Longing and Flight
'Jeanne-Marie, this is the kind of mix that you want to hear when the cicadas are buzzing, which they are right now in S.E. Michigan. So nice hearing an old Carly tune for the first time. And "Dreamboat Annie" made me go back and listen to that album again.'   'Loving the Kurt Vile. Does it sound like World Party to anyone else? And the one-two punch of Heart and Carly Simon. (Embracing that irony-free here in SF today.) Wait—Don McClean wrote more than two songs? Shocking. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm only a casual Replacements fan (seriously, right?), so this is a welcomed addition to my paltry collection of non-Pleased To Meet Me tracks. Diggin' Zuzu's Petals, too. Oh, and Helen Reddy does not offend. You're a special lady, J-M. Thanks!'   'I very much enjoyed the Carly Simon which was new to me. The Keef and 'Mats combo gave me a very late-80s 'XRT vibe, which was fun thing to experience again.'   'Really liked the Elton and Russell piece a lot, moderately surprising since I've not been too taken with the former's output for a long while. Mrs. fritz was happily surprised by the Helen Reddy inclusion which took her back to the days of yore when she played her 45 of it many a time.'   'Well, let me be the first and possibly only person to say I love the Helen Reddy. My little sister used to pump up her Angie Baby 45 over and over from her room while I was trying to crank Black Sabbath in peace and quiet in my own. Somehow I love them both now. The Derek & the Dominos is a killer opener, and the whole mix is a treat from top to bottom. I particularly enjoyed the Dark Dark Dark and Keith Richards tracks. Thanks!'   'Very nicely done. Love the Kurt Vile cut and the Dark Dark Dark song is amazing. Plus Helen Reddy and Sugar, perfect. Thank you.'   'I've been listening to this mix all week. Here are my standout traxxxx: Nobody's Side, Gary Yerkins. This is BY FAR my favorite track. Which is no dis on any of the others, it's simply how much I love this one. Who is this dude? Google indicates he is a Chicago musician who played in a couple of bands I've never heard of. Every time this song has come on I've liked it even more. It's the melancholy cousin of Steve Forbert's sweet Romeo's Tune with its easy natural loop that just kinda hooks into you so immediately. Thanks so much, I feel safe saying I doubt I would have heard it otherwise. WHY WE LOVE THE PRODGE. So far I'm only a few layers in. Looking forward to future discoveries. Thanks so much, Jeanne-Marie.'   'Thanks for turning me on to some real keepers Jeanne-Marie. The Kurt Vile just jumped out of the speakers, sounding to me as well like World Party. My other new favorite song of all time is Zuzu's Petals cut. Great rolling intro and big beat. Thanks to Seen Your Video I now have three Replacement songs I like. They've just never registered too much for me, may need to dig deeper there.'   'I have to admit I recognized most of the names in the track list, but knew almost nothing about them. That said: Love that Derek first song - such a groovy tune. The Kurt Vile song (except for the vocals) could be on any New Zealand indie comp. Other standouts are Gary Yerkins (never heard of him) and that Zuzu's Petals song. Always a Sugar fan. Thanks!'   '"Dreamboat Annie" is one I haven't heard in almost forty years. Banjos! That first Heart album was an 8-track favorite, along with, of all crazy combinations, Funkadelic's Maggot Brain. Me and my junior high stoner buddies had us some friends in high places. One of whom was Gary's older brother Jack, who was both friendly AND owned a lowrider. Kids smoking $15 ounces of Mexican weed in a lowered '63, listening to "Steamboat Annie...."   'Oh. My. God. I hadn't thought about Helen Reddy in about, well, I won't say exactly how many years...but I was like Van B's little sister -- playing Helen at top-volume during the 70s. Thanks for the Saturday morning time travelin'!'   '1. Was Gary Yerkins in The Insiders that did "Ghost on the Beach"? Those Insiders?  2. Van B. likes Helen Reddy? I'm Shocked! SHOCKED! (I love her too; memories of waiting for mom in the station wagon in the Sears parking lot).  3. xtina's comment about layering is spot on.  4. Hostess's comments made me go back and look at the J-M G oeuvre; it hadn't had the retrospective appreciation it deserved. Wow. Awesome awesome playlist. Thanks.'

Liner Notes by JMG

Disclaimer:  Now I know it's a little odd that this mix is so soon on the heels of longing and flight, but I won the sweepstakes, and there are only a few contests that this non resident of SF is eligible for, so hey. Summer is my busy season, as a gardener.  It is also hot hot hot and hard to get motivated in 95 degree weather.  Peppermint oil and my iPod really help.  These are some songs that motivate me and keep my energy up with clippers in hand.


Dance More – All hand tools are sharpened and ready to go.


Magics – These guys are also from Chicago, like the Dogs, and crank it out on Kranky.



Trick Pony – I love this girl, woman, child and have ever since I saw her in “the Little Thief”. 

Tightrope – First song I heard by this band, remains my favorite.

Romance –  Prune like a well oiled machine to this one.

What Makes You Beautiful – I am unrepentant in my love for a pop song with good hair.  

Abducted – What is more sugary pop – One Direction or Cults or Wild Flag?

When I Grow Old – Technically middle aged now, and more comfortable then ever with the insect world.

Neighborhood #3 – My best girl did not know this song.  It is a couple years old, did you miss it too?

Milkman – Again with the yelling, about a milkman wtf?  I have already loaded up three lawn bags.

This and That – I was knee high to a grass hopper when I found I would love anything this guy does.

Orpheo Looks Back – plucky and birdlike.

Out of Tune – This is another lovely understated song from Real Estate, and the resale value on this property just improved in the last 45 minutes.


Mix is UP. New-ish password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.





See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK



20 comments:

fritz said...

Like that Magics song an awful lot, as well as the Gainsbourg.

Thx!

ST said...

Just looking at the track list I can say I already love it.

xtina said...

YeeHaw! Stoked it's you J-M!
This mix is making me feel like I'm a kid, listening to "the punk rock" for the first time. Like a teenage new-ear dance party (why does that turn of phrase sound so familiar? [strokes beard....]). Fantastic kickoff song! Loving Trick Pony (newer Charlotte so different than first album), Wild Flag, and that Real Estate song reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDmasbARtE
which is my little Pair bridge to Todd Bonne's rad Robert Forster tune, as they will both be in my Summer '12 list of faves. Thanks Jeanne-Marie, I really enjoy your mixes!
Oh! And that Arcade Fire is one of my favorites from them. Has been on my running mix for a while, super motivating. Thumbs Up.
PS- Terry Hall? Fuck Yeah! http://fuckyeahterryhall.tumblr.com/

Wes said...

Thank you Jeanne-Marie. This is a great mix. I was immediately taken with The Dogs cut and the EMA song stood out as well. Plus, I still like Arcade Fire even after what Wayne Coyne said about them.

Thanks again for the great finds.

alix said...

J-M you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it aint hard to tell
Your mix is beautiful.

OH YES. Arcade Fire, Gainsbourg....sure. Awesome. But you rocked the One Direction and for that I say HIGH FIVES lady. That damn song is pure pop magic. And yes. I think Harry is the cutest.

Love this mix! SO fun to have you back again so soon!

Tim Carroll said...

"Trick Pony" kicks butte majeur. Hey! I'd forgotten about Charlotte in The Little Thief. Thanks for bringing that up in your song notes. Time to re-watch. She's so great.

Never before heard Mushtaq, and, sadly, lost track of Mr. Hall after Fun Boy Three. (Dumb, eh?) Thanks for including "This And That," Jeanne-Marie. Clarinet! The song melds well with the slightly Eastern-tinged Andrew Bird song that follows.

Wild Flag sure is poppier and lusher than Sleater-Kinney. Best not compare the two bands and just leave it at You Rock It, Rockin' Women.

Funny how Arcade Fire's "Power Out" song (and that whole first album) can now feel like a Blast From The Past. Im trying hard not to mention that the song is great because it has bells, but, yeah, well, you know…. The singing in the Terry Hall and Mushtaq song reminds me a lot of the Philly band Man Man, a band that, like Arcade Fire, I dug muchly, circa 2005.

alix said...

What Tim is really trying to say, is that he is TOTALLY digging One Direction.

;-)

Karl said...

The opening trio knocked me out - I already knew and loved Disappears, and they fit so nicely in between the others. Great shit!

Now, while I won't begrudge others their guilty pop pleasures (I have a cassingle of "Things That Make You Go Hmmm", after all), I must confess that One Direction will not be making my list. The song did bring me pleasure, however, because it made me imagine my brother listening to it and growing more livid with each passing measure.

Gioia said...

FUNN!! I love the Charlotte Gainsburg tune, among others. It’s been a awhile since I bopped around the living room by myself with the music cranked. For that I thank you!

Jeanne-Marie said...

Thanks Guys!

Alex and Kelly - Harry is the undeniable cute one! But the furthest I can picture taking it, is just hands over the clothing, Maybe frenching...
In any case, that song is only a love / love thing for me and for most boys its a hate / love/ no I hate it...kind of thing

Tim Carroll, I also interpreted between the lines!

To Karl said "did not give me pleasure" but you saying that did! Happy you dug what you did!

Wes - thanks for sending me back to the biggest disses page!

X-tina - Thank you for Fuck Yeah! I never knew! Looking forward to pairs 2!

Muchos Gracias Gioia, Fritz and ST!
Besos!

Anonymous said...

I think I just found my new running playlist- no effort required. Thank you!

Sam K. said...

Is this a play on 'semaphore'? Charlotte Gainsbourg may not be the best actress or singer but she surely is cool. And her mom leaned over me at a film festival. Terry Hall's post-Specials work is unsung (so to speak) greatness. Thanks for sharing, Jeanne-Marie!

pepe verde said...

I haven't listened to it yet but let me say, what anamazing photo Jeanne-Marie. Gracias, more later x

peter b said...

I agree with Karl, the opening trifecta of The Dogs, Disappears, and Gainsbourg is excellent. And your cover photo has a weird, sci-fi, Little Shop of Horrors creepiness — I like it.

Danny Lee said...

MAGICS rocks pretty hard. One of my favorite tunes in recent months. When I grow old has a slinky early 80's New Wave groove. Infectious! Out of Tune features some beautiful guitar work and This and That is like a so-off-broadway-production-it's-from-Romania. Really cool mix Jeanne-Marie.

Mark Ulriksen said...

This is like an album you play for the very first time and every song is great and the more you play it the more you fall in love with every. single. song. Get the idea, I love this mix.

Of course the 3 opening songs set the tone. Really love the two Chicago bands. Jeanne-Marie you've introduced me to Charlotte Gainsbourg before and now I'm mighty smitten. For my taste This and That by Terry Hall and Mushtaq is the most surprising song and way cool.

c_rock said...

Well this mix is just filled to the brim, hell, overflowing with wonderful songs from the past few years. Loved the Doggs song/think I remember you saying they're a Chicago band? Maybe I can actually see these guys in concert for less than $10?

I digress. Well the girls just rule on this mix, from Cults and EMA who I'm familiar with, to Charlotte Gainsbourg and Wild Flag who I definitely need to get more music by (I only knew them as Serge's daughter and that band with the girl from Sleater-Kinney/Portlandia).

Also, I really dug the Andrew Bird and Real Estate songs--two artists who really find the beauty in getting nowhere fast (that may be a bit more accurate for Real Estate than Andrew.....)

Anyways, awesome mix!

Kevin Seidel said...

This is a cop out post...but I can't wait to listen to this on my surf trip to Baja tomorrow! Especially given the good comments here! I'll report back.

Van B said...

The Dogs and Disappears openers had me coming back to this fantastic mix again and again over the past several weeks, only to find a new favorite each time. And, I must say this for One Direction: my hat is off to them for creating a piece of pure pop dynamite which makes my daughters feel good about themselves, instead of feeling like they have to take off their clothes to get a boy's attention. More power to them. Love this bonus mix, Jeanne-Marie. Thanks.

Jeanne-Marie said...

I just checked back into the archives! How lovely you later commenters are!
So so glad that you dug the mix made these fine notes.

I love you all - especially you C Rock!