Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Folky Freaks

Date
August 8, 2012

Miracler
Fritz Eifrig

Location
Chicago

Just when you think you can maybe guess what Fritz is going to make us next,
He goes and makes a mix like today's. Always the zagger, this same feller brought us, in February '11, Feeling Single Seeing Double, which turned out to be a masterpiece of Country for People Who Think They Hate Country. Witness y'all's comments:


'This is like the "You don't like* country music? Really? Let me make you a mix." mix that I've always wanted/needed without knowing it.'    'As a hostess, I'm thrilled that someone has gone down the unpaved country road here. And as a Miracler, I'm glad it was you to do it.'    'Sam's right, Fritz—you've got pretty much universally great taste in music! '    'Thanks for the fabulously themed and compiled mix, Fritz. Not a sour note in the twangy bunch.'    'Wait, so Ryan Adams got all that from somewhere? ;) Really enjoyed a good country mix from someone who obviously knows the genre.'    'Great stuff. Love me some Paycheck and the pickin' of Jerry Reed. Coe always always reminds me of the patrons of the Zeitgeist (SF bar). Thanks for the great mix.'    'Shit that was fun! Well played, sir.'    'This was really nice. I know there's a lot of great old country out there but it's so hard to sift through a genre I know little about to find the good stuff. This is all good stuff.'    'When I hear a mix like this, I remember that it's not the genre, it's the artists that I'm hearing that I don't particularly care for. If all country were like this mix I'd be a cowboy-boot-, Wrangler-jean-, huge-belt-buckle-, ten-gallon-hat-wearing, Bud-long-neck-drinkin shit kicker!! Yeehaw!!'    'My dad's side of the family comes from Montana, so I suspect that I have a strong-yet-mostly-latent love of country music. I really liked this mix -- thanks!'    'Big thanks for Waylon's cover of "Don't think twice", "Long Haired Redneck", and yes, Ted Hawkins ! Last song, especially lovely.'    'Got a lot of tasteful Jamaican music from mr fritz & I don't like most country music but I like most of this. hypothesis: mr fritz has good taste in music. thanks for sharing, man!'    'Hearing "Rosewood Casket" inspired a little family critique of Dolly Parton. The household 13 year-old now gets her better. No need for anyone to wait until Dolly's past 70 and Jack White's retooling her credentials. But yeah, I can remember being that age and thinking Haggard and Owens were way too hick to even consider. Getting old isn't always a bad thing. Thanks for the country-fried soul, Fritz.'    'Real good real country, Fritz. Yeah, they're lengthy, but the FBB Avalon discs are excellent. Love the Charlie Feathers and Two More Bottles of Wine -Gram would've sounded great singing with her on that.'    'I laughed a lot. And being a Spaniard, ie not too well versed in country, I learned a lot. I learnt a lot too. I'm afraid maybe my mother in law was quite horrified to see the artwork on my laptop screen. Oh well :-)'

And then before that, it was Pop Rocks, a mix that was NOT twangy at all. Today's also-fabulous contribution might sit somewhere in the middle of Fritz's 3MPM continuum. Though past trends are no guarantee of future mixes, so don't get too comfy for long.

Liner Notes by FE: Folky Freaks
A collection of stuff which approximates a previous incarnation or at least a facet of it. Some flotsam and jetsam from the recesses of my iTunes library, some recent discoveries and enthusiasms, and some old favorites that got in deep way back when. A word of warning: this mix is unlikely to get your day off to a roaring start. It's probably more attuned to a slightly fuzzy, drifting, end of the wine kind of evening.


Mix is UP. New password! Check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.

XOK

25 comments:

Jeanne-Marie said...

OMG this mix looks luscious!

"We're here" is one of my most favorite Meat Puppets songs. I am thrilled.

I love the cover art, Fritz, it looks familiar, can you tell us about it?

fritz said...

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/64724

Jeanne-Marie said...

ah yes!
and rather then luscious it is quite sublime.
I really like it, in the vein of a little goes a long way.

xtina said...

Hi Fritz! Four songs in, and I don't mind it not being rip-roaring. So far it's quite perfect for a morning-after Smoothday. (But I know what you mean, because I really want to be in a dark room right now, curled up in an overstuffed chair. Strangely, I'm also smoking a pipe in this scene. Also featured: tapestries.)

Thanks Jeanne-Marie for asking about the cover art. I was about to do the same thing. LOVE it! It reminds me of this, and for a second I thought it was the same artist: http://www.mckenziefineart.com/artists/leaver/leaver.html

Loving the vibe of this, Fritz, thank you for your breadth. Hey! A Flute! TC's gonna be happy.

Tim Carroll said...

"We're Here" -- Yes! I haven't listened to Meat Puppets II in, like, two forevers. Sadly there's only Up On The Sun in my meager post-vinyl Puppets world. The shame! Good, good stuff. Happily, the Puppets have been resurrected and play in Austin on a regular basis. I wonder if maybe that's Cris singing on this one. Love the dubbiness of the bass and the cracky-crack snare punctuation.

"Rosemary" is a beautiful pick, Fritz. I'd love to hear it without the effects on Jerry's voice. Live version?

"Lagen Love" brings tears. Lovely version, and new to me. Thanks, man! Here's Sandy Denny and Richard FariƱa rendering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHstyoGkMIU

***

Christina's doin' your mix right, Fritz. But didn't she promise us that her Waking-N-Baking days were over?

Tim Carroll said...

John Martyn. Wow. And Danny Thomson on bass...

Tim Carroll said...

Perfectly-matched cover art, Fritz. Is there a story behind it?

That Mac masterpiece -- doesn't it have tinges of Hawaiian singing, as well as vaguely ukulele-like strumming in the choruses? Danny Kirwan?

xtina said...

I didn't say it was *that* kind of pipe!

+++

(this Fleetwood Mac song is amazing)
(this Beachwood Sparks song is so sweet)
(am I the only one BLOWN AWAY by the genius progression from Fairport Convention into John Martyn? masterful, Fritz)

Owen said...

I really, really love the Grateful Dead song. Yep.

Kevin Seidel said...

Funny, these bands/artists are usually all very different from one another. You've found the intersection! And I imagine its an intersection where all the drivers are so polite, they sit for hours waiting for the other guy to pull through. I don't know what it means. Other than the fact that I need another cup of coffee.

Some mellowy, nice stuff. Second listen clinched it, as I was ready to write it off on the first. That's a sign of a good mix IMO. Fleetwood Mac! Would haven't named that one in a blind taste test. Beachwood Sparks, Dead and Meat Puppets. Thanks!

fritz said...

Thanks, folks!

JMG: Sublimity was what I was going for, so thank you for feeling it.
CS: I use a vaporizer, but that's a good description of my basement lair. The Fairport>Martyn sequence was actually a last minute change after I cut the Allen Ginsberg reading from the beginning.
TC: No real story behind the cover art: I was wandering the AIC on my lunch hour and the Inness caught my eye. The title also seemed to echo a few things in the first part of the mix, so I took a quick shot with my old phone and it came out ok.
KS: No, man... you were here first, go ahead!

vanessa said...

LOve ,love love this!! Not even half way through and it's
knocking my socks off, sleepily !
Medicinals optional as far as I'm concerned.

Doug said...

New Beachwood Sparks! Huzzah! Love the John Martyn (duh), Elf Power (big fan), Halfdan's Daughter (although I have no idea why since I normally hate this kind of shit), Cotton Jones (enough with the parenthetical asides), John Villemonte, Fleetwood Mac, and The Grateful Dead (okay, this deserves a parenthetical aside, since I truly, madly, deeply hate The Grateful Dead). Fantastic mix, Fritz. Thank you!

And I love the fact that this knocks the socks off of Vanessa, 'cause it makes me want to put on my socks. Soft, fuzzy ones.

Wes said...

Well, this mix is just freaking me out. Of course, I mean that in the best possible way. Leave it to Fritz to present something so incredibly interesting. Can Am Des Plugs is the big stand out for me on this mix with These Trails coming in a very close second. Well done, Fritz, well done.

fritz said...

Thanks, Wes. If you'd like to hear the whole Can Am Des Puig album I'd be happy to send you a copy via Dropbox (it's waaay oop). These Trails was rereleased by Drag City last year.

Wes said...

Fritz, your taste is nothing short of amazing. I just bought the These Trails record and it has my full attention. I would love to have a copy of the Can Am Des Plug record if you get the notion. Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

This mix is a surefire summer hit - listening to it reminds me of a summer breeze wafting through the curtains. Trouble in mind? My recommendation is to listen to this mix. Paul Rhodes

Anonymous said...

Wow...Folky Freaks is one of the best mixes I've heard...definitley what I needed this morning (and most mornings). Nice work, mate. I'm curious if you are familiar with The Folklords and/or Gentle Soul? Seems like they'd be up your alley.

xtina said...

I am super totally digging this John Villemonte track today. So I had to go and look it up, didn't I?:

“There were only 200 of these pressed, according to the artist. Gorgeous 1977 pastoral melodic folk psych private pressing from Madison, WI. Song "I Am The Moonlight" is a completely arresting, haunted folk psych cut… just a breathtaking dark mood throughout.”

Fritz, do you have this on the original vinyl?

Mark Ulriksen said...

Great music for a foggy Sunday morning Fritz. Love how the segues work and how the playlist seems to move full circle from Fairport to Flibbertigibbet.

Thanks for reminding me of an old gem of a Bob Welch tune with the early Fleetwood Mac. Haven't heard that in ages.

fritz said...

Wow! Thanks again for the too kind comments!

WG- Dropbox invite sent. Glad you like These Trails too-- pretty amazing that they never played in front of an audience.

X- You way overestimate my vinyl collection! I got it courtesy of the amazing folks at The Numero Group on their Wayfaring Strangers: Lonesome Heroes collection.

DJB- I will seek them out; thanks for the rec.

MU- I have a pretty nice copy of the original UK version of Then Play On if you're interested.

Karl said...

Late to the commenting party again....
Anyhoo - lots of great stuff on here, most of it previously unknown to me. Having read the comments prior to listening, Tim's mention of "the effects on Jerry's voice" led me to hope that the GD song was the one I thought it was, as it's always been a personal favorite (I had a dubbed copy of "Skeletons In The Closet" in high school that I listened to a lot [the other side of that tape was Butthole Surfers "Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac" - the two went together better than you may imagine]), and to have that followed up by such a great Meat Puppets jam - such bliss!

Danny Lee said...

Hope I'm not too late to compliment your mix Fritz. A great theme with some of my favorites (She Moved and Although) and a bunch of new-to-me freakers. Moth and Villamonte are themes to spooky dreams. These Trails, as James Lipton would say, ARE A DELIGHT!

xtina said...

Wow, that Danny Lee comment was like comment poetry. DAMN.

Hey Fritz: what's the deal with 'the Numero Group', anyway? Is it a club and can I join?

I'm on a need-to-know basis. Pls and Thank You.

Van B said...

Sorry to comment so late, but I do love this mix from beginning to end. I can't name a favorite because I would have to name them all. Well, maybe not the Grateful Dead, but that is more of an attitude problem on my part. Thanks so much, Fritz.