August 29, 2012
Miracler
Toria Emery
Location
San Francisco
It's the beginning of a new age, friends.
The age of CRAY CRAY! Because today, our ragtag Miracling bag takes on a new dimension—for this week, at least—though this may inspire similar acts once you see what all the cray's about. But first, let's rewind to March 2011, where we left off with Ms. Toria Emery.
Liner Notes, by TE
This mix started out as something of an experiment: Could a mix get from one side of the musical universe to the other in around 12 steps without any jarring leaps along the way? Sort of a melodious version of Six Degrees of separation. Admittedly, I didn’t exactly start with Anthrax and end with Selena Gomez, but that would’ve taken more than 45 minutes of tunes. BTW, please visit the first-ever 3MPM Pinterest board. The official videos, cover art, cool tour posters – check ‘em out. How to use Pinterest: Click on an icon to see it bigger, and then click again to go to the original source. But, brace yourself, Aimee Mann looks a bit uncomfortable in that low-production-value video.
Expressway / Swervedriver — I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with this song. Love most of it, but there’s an unfortunate chunk in the middle where someone went all crazy on the autotune.
Aimee Mann / Ghost World – Wish this song had been around when I was in 8th grade. Captures summer ennui perfectly.
Factory / Martha Wainwright –Love those young, nepotistic Wainwrights.
Stew & The Negro Problem / Suzy Wong – A collaboration between Stew and Heidi Rodewald, this is a track from their second rock opera.
Sentimental Food / Lloyd Cole – Despite the fact that seeing Lloyd Cole live was one of the biggest disappointments of my life, I still love how he manages to be simultaneously bouncy and depressed, both cutting and wounded.
Someone’s Calling / Modern English — I once heard Modern English described as the crappiest band of all time. Really? Nah, they must be thinking of a different Modern English.
Horse’s Head / Ian McCulloch – Moving further toward the more atmospheric side of things, it’s the former frontman for Echo & the Bunnymen.
Two Points for Honesty / Guster – Listened to these guys non-stop during an acute case of heartache back in 2000. Their stuff stands the test of time, even during happier times.
The Polyphonic Spree / Light & Day – Okay, now we’re deep into techno-chorus-rock here. And, since a number of you Prodge people are in advertising, you’ve probably hear this track featured on a tv spot or two.
Steve McQueen / M83 – Moving in a more ambient direction, lyrics are now officially taking a backseat to the overall sound.
Walkabout / Atlas Sound – Ambient and sugary.
BONUS TRACK: Whisperlude / Pogo – This is kind of a gimmicky track, but I can’t help it, it’s infectious. The gimmicky part is that the music is essentially created from bits and pieces of dialogue taken from the 1995 version of The Little Princess.
And for those (Doug) wondering what exactly a Miracling Pinterest board might look like, here's a taste of what you'll get when you click here to see the real thing: KKKKKKRAY!
And for those (Doug) wondering what exactly a Miracling Pinterest board might look like, here's a taste of what you'll get when you click here to see the real thing: KKKKKKRAY!
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
XOK


21 comments:
Cannot frigging wait to listen to this insanity. Great concept, Toria.
Okay, so you had me at Swervedriver (as most people in prodge know they are one of my favorites), but also putting my absolute favorite Modern English song on there as well? Right on, Toria!
Great concept! It's clear I'm drawn to the first part of the spectrum as I was feeling lulled in the beginning then became more agitated as the songs progressed. That was weirdly fun. Thanks Toria!
P.S. Love the Suzy Wong song.
Wait...no...this is my new running playlist. Love the M83 track especially. But the whole damn thing is a cohesive colorful joyful sound. And the Pinterest board is pure genius!
Toria, I believe you accomplished your mission with this mix and then some. And I am not just saying that because one of my all-time favorite singer-songwriters, Lloyd Cole, is included! The first and second halves are very different but I'm enjoying them equally -- kind of a yin and yang thing! Thanks for such an awesome mix.
I like Spectrum!
I like that I actually feel the Spectrum, especially in Swervedriver, Guster, The Polyphonic Spree, M83 and Atlas Sound. Great Concept. Well Done!
Lots of plays over here!
Thanks guys!
Laura, I'm so with you on Lloyd Cole -- I've loved him forever. Did you check out his site? It really does seem like he writes the whole thing himself, including upcoming tour dates, discography and, of course, "Ask Lloyd." He always seemed a bit too cool for school so his DIY attitude charms me no end.
It's hard not to like the M83 song, especially while driving down a highway.
Thanks for the mix, Toria. I was such a big fan of Swervedriver and backing that track with Aimee Mann was perfect. I also really dig the Polyphonic Spree cut. Nicely done.
Hi, Toria. I will check out Lloyd's site. I tried following him on Twitter, and it was too much golf talk for me.
Clever, clever concept, I love it! I'm with Laura, very yin and yang! Also kudos for the brilliant Pinterest board! As someone who loves Toria's "tiny reads" blog I love the amazing visuals she always comes up with!
As you know, I am Mr. Ambient — and also Mr. Ambien. So I'm digging the later tracks, particularly M83 and Atlas Sound. Love the cover, and, as always, love Ian McCulloch. Thanks Toria!
Swervedriver = yes. Martha Wainwright = oh yeah. Modern English = Hell Yes.
Thanks SB -- I know we're like-minded on the ambient shizz. Glad you like.
And, Alix, thanks for the shout out for tinyreads. If only work and semi-laziness didn't get in the way of keeping it updated.
Me 'n' Ray agree. Swervedriver and Modern English can't be beat. I wonder who called Modern English the crappiest band of all-time. They must be thinking of INXS. Sounds like a theme for a mix: "Good Songs from Really shitty Bands". Thanks, Toria!
Holy fudge!! You started a mix with Swervedriver: You made my day.
Many old favorites, a few new friends. I think you covered the spectrum wonderfully. Though I was wondering if you'd get to Death Metal. I'm glad you didn't.
Okay – finally getting to this one. And glad that I did.
Agree (with the entire universe, apparently) that Swervedriver is great. Also diggin' Aimee Mann, Modern English, M83, Lloyd Cole (awhh), and Pogo (new to me, so I apologize to any Miracler who's already put them on their mix).
Fun theme, well executed. Thanks, Toria.
Okay – finally getting to this one. And glad that I did.
Agree (with the entire universe, apparently) that Swervedriver is great. Also diggin' Aimee Mann, Modern English, M83, Lloyd Cole (awhh), and Pogo (new to me, so I apologize to any Miracler who's already put them on their mix).
Fun theme, well executed. Thanks, Toria.
Thank you for a wonderful theme and mix. Favorite tracks: Stew, Modern English, & Pogo.
It was the Swervedriver that brought me to comment, and apparently I'm not alone. Adding it to my Prodge-inspired shopping list. It has an Elvis Costello-ness to it, which automatically makes it Rad to me. Also dig Suzy Wong.
Just catching up with this mix, and it really has an energy about it. Perfect to walk to.
Good to hear the McCulloch track too after a long time
Paul Rhodes
Post a Comment