December 30, 2012
Miracler
Kelly Niland
Location
San Francisco
2012: Sealed with a kiss
Bookending the year with Hostess mixes, I've made you a mix to ring out what it seems we just rang in. Go git it while it's relevant.
Liner Notes
1. This beauty, from one of one-time Miracler Craig Badynee's bands, casimer&casimir, is proof that the Prodge actually makes money for musicians, as I've gone from probably-would-have-never-heard-of-him to purchasing-every-song-by-him-that-is-purchasable status over the years. Thanks for the intro, TOBY BARLOW! And thanks for sending me this members-only C&C Walkmen-song-re-imagined, Craig.
2. And speaking of! The Walkmen have appeared on 4 previous Miracler mixes and each time, my ear does a double-take. Wow, this wasn't supposed to be an infomercial for Miraclizing.
3. John Darnielle knows how to kill a buzz in the happiest of ways, no?
4. This is to prove that I didn't just type 'new year, resolution, new year's eve, etc' into iTunes and make you a lazee mix. To further prove: Tom Waits actually has a New Year's Eve song. It's called 'New Year's Eve.' And I own it.
5. Though that IS how I learned about this song. But it's Otis Redding! So how can it suck?
6. 'Siri, next time I'm rain-delayed overnight in Dallas & chased by a Christmas Day blizzard in Indiana all within 24 hours and my husband's got a hallucinogenic flu and we have to spend a night in a 48-degree house and gifts didn't arrive on time, play me anything by Camera Obscura. Did you get that?'
7. Beach House: a great place for my family to meet up next year.
8. DONOVAN SAY: GET ON YOUR BIKE AND DO WHAT YOU LIKE!
9. I debated whether to include any version of this song. But it feels like bad luck not to. And this The Head and the Heart one is a sweet version. And actually, I really like this song anyway.
10. Some tough resolutions. Good luck with that, First Aid Kit!
11. Take us out, Andrew Bird. But less whistling, more fiddle. Thank you.
Have a fantastic New Year, friends! And look out for that police road block on Guerrero Street. Much love from The Prodge—see you back here next week with some top-o'-the-year treats. XOXO K
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

13 comments:
Totally with you on Andrew Bird. I like him best when he's not being himself.
Love the opening track segue from such a lovely version of one of my fave Walkmen numbers to this new favorite Walkmen song about NYE. That Head and the Heart is so smooth and jazzy and sweet.
Also: Donovan. Oh Deed I Do has been on constant repeat since Gioia's 'Ode to Max Fischer', and here's another keeper. You'd think having seen him live (as an 'adult', even!) would have already made me hip to his brand of psych-jangle, but I'm into these (to me) deeper cuts. Thank You Kelly, HNY2U!
Starting to listen now, but wanted to wish you and yours a happy new year. I heard the Bee Gees in Whole Foods today and thought of you! And love the influential disc - to which my wife knew almost every word. weird.
is it just me, or does every Tom Waits track feel appropriate for New Year's Eve? Thanks for a great year of music.
That cover of 'In the New Year' totally caught me off guard...but I like it! And I love how you followed it up with another Walkmen New Year's song. Also, I'm a sucker for pretty much any version of Auld Lang Syne and dear Andrew's version might just be my favorite yet.
That Casimer & Casimer song is so nice. Thanks for the introduction, Kelly.
First Aid Kit is great. Their presence appeared on our radar equipment just last week (thank you, Santa!). Two Swedish folkie women barely into their twenties. I recommend getting a CD's worth.
NIce send-off to the mix, and to the year. Andrew Bird is a favorite hereabouts.
Lucky Thirteen, y'all!
Oh yeah -- I really enjoy hearing early Tom Waits. Love the post-Rain Dogs dark theater. But the simplicity of the early stuff is more touching. Less ornamental, y'know?
Good morning mister snip snip snip. With your hair cut just as short as mine.
This mix was perfect for our New Year's eve party. It was the hit of the night. People kept asking "who is this?". I count that as a win. Thank you, Kelly.
It's still the new year, right.? Just gave this a listen and there's a nice slight melancholy joy to this mix. I'm not aware of The Walkmen so thanks for turning me on to this I love it. Also really love how catchy Camera Obscura is and I agree with the Andrew Bird sentiments. He makes for a nice sentimental ending to your mix
It's still the new year, right? Just gave this a listen and there's a nice slight melancholy joy to this mix. I'm not aware of The Walkmen so thanks for turning me on to this, I love it. Also really love how catchy Camera Obscura is and I agree with the Andrew Bird sentiments. He makes for a nice sentimental ending to your mix.
Love the Lovin' Spoonful-style guitar in Camera Obscura. The Tom Waits floors me - like Tim, I prefer his early tracks- so melancholy, so confessional. First Aid Kit is really nice too. What the hell is that, a zither?
Thanks for these great tracks and all that you do Kelly!
I am EXCITED to download this bad boy!!!!!!! Action packed with good stuff....I'm not working today and I'm planning on cranking these 3mpmp mixes all day and gettin' chit DONE! xoxo
Wow, I really can't stop LOVING this casimer&casimir version of this song. Just came up and made me super happy. thxagainkellyniland!
Post a Comment