Thursday, December 13, 2012

From the Mouths of Innocents

Date
December 13, 2012

Miracler
Paul Rhodes

Location
York, England

Who's up for a mix from another new Miracler?
You are. Know how I know? Because I've already road-tested this doozy, and lemmetellya, it's smooooooth. Or, like my M.A.C. lipstick color name: Smooooove. I don't know a lot about Paul Rhodes, except that he came to us through the Dan Weber door, but by the associative property of Miracle math, that means you are in for a treat. Another way to know: Because I already told you. Enjoy.

Liner Notes by PR
We’ll make no concessions to the season here, but looking forward…


Another Year Again
A little prescient, but no one kicks off albums like this Canuck band. For me they are just a lead singer away from greatness, but their instrumentals are peerless. Perhaps the true heirs to the Band and the Byrds.

Revolution (in the Summer Time)
Scottish Byrds? Sadly this rainy day tune never caught the public’s ear at the turn of the Millennium but is now ripe for reappraisal.

Milwaukee Protocol
On David Bryne’s Laukabop record label, Bright Moments were my find of 2012 – this is typical of their (sheer) brass melancholy.

Think That You Might Be Wrong
Already you will see the only thread is the way songs jostle together, and I will save thematic links for those cleverer than me. Shades of the Band perhaps here, but Great Lake Swimmers came of age this year and I could have included two or three…

Take Time to Know Her
Percy Sledge? What the??? Having always steered far away from When A Man Loves A Woman this song has shredded that smug complacency. It has been an important part of my life soundtrack from the moment I heard it. There’s something so compelling in his voice, a quality that reminds me of Sam Cooke. I checked, after a fashion, and nothing else he recorded seems to measure up to this.

Sea of Japan
Makes me homesick for a place I have never visited. This obscure singer from Devon, UK has one trick which he applies with great success. Shy and introverted in concert, this tune channels of that inwardness and dumps it in the ocean.

Warm Wet Circles
This is the one concession to Prog, and every compilation should have at least one guilty please. This used to be, and may be again, one of my favourites, until a colleague remarked how Fish sounds like Phil Collins. It was good while it lasted though, and the imagery still rings true

The False Bride
A wildcard perhaps, but you occasionally encounter support acts who make you want to risk you money. Hubbert has spent years growing sad and large, but an album of collaborations seems to have helped him to turnthe corner. This track features one Alastair Roberts, darling of the Scottish folk scene and with a voice that will either wriggle with dastardly stealth into your innards or propel you to the skip button.

Bats in the Attic
While we are on a Scottish ocean-bent, King Creosote (rarely a performer so misleadingly named) produced a folk album about fisher-folk (sometimes abbreviated to FFF). Listen closely and you can almost hear the unique call of the Minch…

Hares on the Mountain
Shirley Collins has appeared on comps before, but this song – but even more so that voice that just seems to come from somewhere else altogether - has haunted me since I heard it for the first time this year. The guitar is care of Davey Graham. It is also a refreshing alternative to the male view that so pervades our pop.

He’s My Friend Until the End
Can you ever have enough roaring gospel? Cooke always had a spiritual quality, even when he was singing about sugar dumplings (none of that here this is a British compilation!), but balm for any troubled souls out there to play at the bitter end of the day.

What A Way to Go
The Appletree Theatre were gifted to me by my great friend John, an aficionado for sixties music. This one-off album is one to die for, and in my opinion good funeral music.

Undecided (reprise)
To send us on home, there simplest of songs from a complicated pair of Scousers Michael and Ian Head (slightly) better known as Shack and currently killing time on Noel Gallagher’s record label. Hugely hit and miss live, this song is hidden in a largely obscure album that was financed by a fan and put out under the name ‘Magical World of the Strands’.

Happy yuletide Miraclers.

Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.

To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.

See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK


10 comments:

Danny Lee said...

I have not yet listened to this compilation, but only because I got it like a minute and a half ago.

Listen, I've known Paul since well before the turn of the century, and let me tell you, you're in for a treat, as I have been all these years. The thing is, I just trust his impeccable taste. If Paul told me to go buy the new Sarah Brightman Christmas collection, I'd buy it (though I'd quickly schedule elective dental surgery to put off the purchase as long as possible).

Oh, there is one thing about Paul: Huge Chickenfoot fan. From his tracklist, it doesn't look like there's any Chickenfoot on here, but Paul is clever, so don't let your guard down while listening!

Danny Lee said...

Nice one-two opening Gene Clarky punch with the Sadies and the Rough Riders. Saw Great Lake Swimmers in Ann Arbor last year. Great show. Marillon is a band whose albums I saw for many years in the bins, but never actually heard. Yeah, there's some Collins in there, but I like the "Wind and Wuthering" era, which this seems lifted from. The Appletree Theater track may be my favorite - dang, 45 years old, but sounds like it could've been laid down a couple of hours ago. Cheers Paul. Thanks for joining up.

Wes said...

This is a great mix. Cosmic Rough Riders hooked me right in. The Percy Sledge cut is an moving classic. And Marillion, WOW. What a wonderful surprise. Sam Cooke is delightful, always. Thank you, Paul.

Jeanne-Marie said...

No one was kidding when they said we were in for a treat. This mix is loaded with such lovely songs, all sounding from far away and long ago.

More than half of these bands / musicians are unfamiliar to me, but all the songs are new. The Sam Cooke and Soul Stirrers song makes me miss him all the more. Appletree theatre - oh my! And the Great Lake Swimmers' song is heartbreaking.

Thank you Paul, we are lucky to have you amongst us in the 3mpm prodge!

xtina said...

From the title I got excited. Temple of the Dog reference? Right in step with the grunge bender I've been on. So a quick scan of the liner notes ... hmm. Okay, noted, that was just me.
But MARILLION?! Yeah. That totally trumps TotD. And the Fish/Phil comparision can get filed under 'Six Degrees of Kate Bush'.
Thanks Paul!

Doug said...

Wow. It includes a prog rock song, but NO Zero 7. And yet this mix will STILL get you laid. Well done, sir!

Gioia said...

what a lovely mix. So much mellow prettiness! And all new to my ears. Thank you. Thank you.

Doug said...

See – I was right!

fritz said...

A very fine mix indeed! Standouts for me were the pair of opening numbers, the Percy Sledge, and the Appletree Theatre. Marrillion is a band that I'd seen referenced all over but hadn't actually heard until now-- some nice proggy goodness for sure (and sounded much more Genesis than solo PC to me, fwiw). That Collins/Graham track was under consideration for my mix back in August but I just couldn't quite makeit fit. Very glad to hear it here-- love that album!

xtina said...

I am really enjoying this Cosmic Rough Riders song. Your mix has been popping up a bunch this week on my shuffle and I'm really getting to realize the degree to which it is quite the layered mix! Some subtle seduction in here, indeed.... (See! Doug was right!)