Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Extra Credit Power-Pop: a.d.i.d.a.s.

Date
December 19, 2012

Miracler
Fritz Eifrig

Location
Chicago

Here he goes again.
You know what Fritz Eifrig does: racks up popular mixes like he's the prom king or something. Why, seems it was just August 2012, when he gave us the Folky Freaks collection, about which 25 of you guys said (ready?):

OMG this mix looks luscious!  "We're here" is one of my most favorite Meat Puppets songs. I am thrilled. And I love the cover art. /  Wow...Folky Freaks is one of the best mixes I've heard...definitley what I needed this morning (and most mornings). Nice work, mate. I'm curious if you are familiar with The Folklords and/or Gentle Soul? Seems like they'd be up your alley.  /  So far it's quite perfect for a morning-after Smoothday. (But I know what you mean, because I really want to be in a dark room right now, curled up in an overstuffed chair. Strangely, I'm also smoking a pipe in this scene. Also featured: tapestries.)  /  Loving the vibe of this, Fritz, thank you for your breadth. Hey! A Flute! TC's gonna be happy.Love, love love this!! Not even half way through and it's knocking my socks off, sleepily! Medicinals optional as far as I'm concerned.  /  "We're Here" -- Yes! I haven't listened to Meat Puppets II in, like, two forevers. Sadly there's only Up On The Sun in my meager post-vinyl Puppets world. The shame! Good, good stuff. Happily, the Puppets have been resurrected and play in Austin on a regular basis. I wonder if maybe that's Cris singing on this one. Love the dubbiness of the bass and the cracky-crack snare punctuation. /  Perfectly-matched cover art, Fritz. Is there a story behind it?  /  I really, really love the Grateful Dead song. Yep.  /  Funny, these bands/artists are usually all very different from one another. You've found the intersection! And I imagine its an intersection where all the drivers are so polite, they sit for hours waiting for the other guy to pull through. I don't know what it means. Other than the fact that I need another cup of coffee.  /  Some mellowy, nice stuff. Second listen clinched it, as I was ready to write it off on the first. That's a sign of a good mix IMO. Fleetwood Mac! Would haven't named that one in a blind taste test. Beachwood Sparks, Dead and Meat Puppets. Thanks!  /  New Beachwood Sparks! Huzzah! Love the John Martyn (duh), Elf Power (big fan), Halfdan's Daughter (although I have no idea why since I normally hate this kind of shit), Cotton Jones (enough with the parenthetical asides), John Villemonte, Fleetwood Mac, and The Grateful Dead (okay, this deserves a parenthetical aside, since I truly, madly, deeply hate The Grateful Dead). Fantastic mix, Fritz. Thank you! And I love the fact that this knocks the socks off of Vanessa, 'cause it makes me want to put on my socks. Soft, fuzzy ones.  /  Well, this mix is just freaking me out. Of course, I mean that in the best possible way. Leave it to Fritz to present something so incredibly interesting. Can Am Des Plugs is the big stand out for me on this mix with These Trails coming in a very close second. Well done, Fritz, well done.  /  Fritz, your taste is nothing short of amazing. I just bought the These Trails record and it has my full attention. I would love to have a copy of the Can Am Des Plug record if you get the notion. Thank you again.  /  This mix is a surefire summer hit - listening to it reminds me of a summer breeze wafting through the curtains. Trouble in mind? My recommendation is to listen to this mix.  /  Great music for a foggy Sunday morning Fritz. Love how the segues work and how the playlist seems to move full circle from Fairport to Flibbertigibbet.  /  Thanks for reminding me of an old gem of a Bob Welch tune with the early Fleetwood Mac. Haven't heard that in ages.  /  Lots of great stuff on here, most of it previously unknown to me. Having read the comments prior to listening, Tim's mention of "the effects on Jerry's voice" led me to hope that the GD song was the one I thought it was, as it's always been a personal favorite (I had a dubbed copy of "Skeletons In The Closet" in high school that I listened to a lot [the other side of that tape was Butthole Surfers "Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac" - the two went together better than you may imagine]), and to have that followed up by such a great Meat Puppets jam - such bliss!  /  Hope I'm not too late to compliment your mix Fritz. A great theme with some of my favorites (She Moved and Although) and a bunch of new-to-me freakers. Moth and Villamonte are themes to spooky dreams. These Trails, as James Lipton would say, ARE A DELIGHT!  / love this mix from beginning to end. I can't name a favorite because I would have to name them all. Well, maybe not the Grateful Dead, but that is more of an attitude problem on my part. Thanks so much, Fritz.

So that was August of this year. 
Today, Fritz takes us way way back to where it all started: his INFLUENTIAL COLLECTION. I don't know if he came by the mix-making abilities via nature or nurture: I'm just glad he got 'em, as are the comment boxes here.


Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

10 comments:

fritz said...

While I'm thrilled to be given yet another platform from which to pester the membership, this is *not* my "influential" mix, just a mix of power pop confections (of which I'm pretty proud truth be told). My influential mix was titled: "YD&FoC."

But I hope folks enjoy this one too!

3 Minute Pop Miracle Project said...

OH MAN! You're right! I'm so sorry! CRAP! Okay, that's worth an addendum email to the gang. Just for accuracy's sake.

XOXOXO K

Tim Carroll said...

Luxury's "Green Hearts" -- how nice to be introduced to a 70s Power Pop band from Iowa! (Had to look 'em up.) Great song to lead off with, Fritz. Tasty, abbreviated little cowbell.

Crushin' on that sassy lassy Farfisa sound in the Charms song.

"Please Change Your Mind" -- kinda like Sparks' Russell Mael in a de-ironic chamber. That guy really, REALLY does want someone to change her/his mind.

The Spongetones' piano player liked him some Steve Nieve, betcha.

The Vibrators!

In these beat-down, post-easy-editorial-illustration-assignment days, in these days of bare existence spent shuffling up and down the on-ramp median to 183, clutching a battered, greasy hunk of cardboard with "Spare some NRBQ? God Bless" El Marko'd on it, I give hearty thanks to you, Kind Sir Eifrig, for including "I Want You Bad," Fritz. That song is better than money.

Danny Lee said...

Been listening to this a lot over the holidays. I'm a big power pop fan and there's a ton of stuff here I've never heard before. Love the soaring vocals from the Shivvers. The Vibrators bring a little Graham Parker attitude to the mix. I think my newest favorite is the Yum Yums - looked 'em up - Norway. Sheeeit. What the hell happened to good old American power pop? Thanks Fritz!

Charlie Rock said...

Man, this is a fun mix. I'm really digging the Raspberries and the Pinkz! I tried to look them up and found like 3-4 songs to their name? If that's true, I feel lucky to be introduced to a group so elusive because they're great!

pepe verde said...

Dirty Looks' "Accept me"!! Holly cow! That's in my pantheon of best B-sides ever.
Great mix, it's good to be back! Thanks!!

fritz said...

Charlie- the one Pinkz track I have came on a compilation I picked up somewhere in the slightly fuzzy past. If you've found more you're way ahead of my meager Google-fu.

I listened to the Vibrators 'Pure Mania' album obsessively my freshman year and then seemed to forget about them after returning the LP to my Hall Convener at the end of the semester. Rediscovered it a couple years ago via eMusic and fell in love all over again.

Thanks for the kind comments- glad you guys enjoyed the mix!

Jeanne-Marie said...

I am now back in the land of non holiday music.

Of course the mix is super fun! Some favorites are the Charms, Luxury and the Spongetones. But the finish with Rick Springfield, Shivers, NRBQ, and The Raspberries just flows. The funny side note is that this play list sits right under " a little goes a long way " in my itunes. They are so different, and yet they both have an impeccable cohesiveness.

sircvs said...

I cranked this one at The Chapel after a couple of indie bands (forget the names, I reset my brain as I wrap cables)

but I do remember playing this!

Ethan Prater said...

Love this one and its coherence.

For me it totally makes the connections between early versions of jangle pop, the rare punk rocker who could write songs, the proper era of New Wave, and whatever certain kids are listening to nowadays. Just a pleasure.