Friday, June 26, 2015

The Roger Moore Miscegenation Terrace

Date
June 26, 2015

Miracler
Nick Dedina

Location
San Francisco

Awwww
Yeeaahh.
Two words (one really, but it breaks off in this layout so I split it) which aptly describe this theme, this mix, and my feeling that fated afternoon last month when I chanced upon this elusive Uber Miracler on Second Street and reeled him back into the Prodge for a Season Seven Miracle. This is the genius, after all, behind 2009's  Coup de Stereo No. 4: Stepford Lives and Coup de Stereo No. 3 in 2008, and behind his Season 1 mix in 2003 which is still getting props from members of the original 3MPM lineup. If you know not of what I speak, read on and listen up, lucky!

Liner Notes by ND

To properly listen to this one, get yourself a rooftop deck, a pitcher of mojitos, an ocean view and maybe even some friends.  Please consider inviting me over, as I could use a rooftop deck, an ocean view and some friends.

This set is 100% free of authenticity, with guiding principles borrowed from the still often heard likes of Boz Scaggs’ “Dirty Lowdown,” Roxy Music’s “The Space Between,” Teddy Pendergrass’ “Love TKO,” and Robert Palmer’s “Every Kinda People.”  

For my first 3 Pop Miracle sets, I only picked great songs that deserved heavy rotation on either A.M. or F.M. radio but never got it. This time out, not everything here is hit single worthy… just a nice mix of multi-cultural appreciation (and appropriation) with music that sells out yet stays great (and in some cases, gets even greater by selling out).

Have you seen Diamonds Are Forever? It’s terrible – a concrete and dirt lot Las Vegas setting, ugly muscle cars, and a suddenly paunchy, hirsute Sean Connery as 007.  Roger Moore came in and saved the day for three fun films, starting with Live And Let Die, a shameless mix of Bond and Blaxploitation. Robert Palmer was the Roger Moore of R&B -- hated because he made a life in rock seem easy. It probably wasn’t. But, it’s fun to pretend.

1.       Ned Doheny, Give It Up For Love – Great mix of slick L.A. soft rock and freaky synths from a singer-songwriter who had everything going for him (family money, industry connections, likability) but couldn’t connect. His name probably didn’t help.

2.       Roddy Frame, Postcard – Perfect slice of sunshine folk-rock from the Aztec Camera front man tipping his hat to both San Francisco and the Sausalito studio where so many classics were cut.

3.       David Bowie, Right – American soul + blank-faced existential English despair = new wave, neuro, post-punk. Like almost everything here this classic was cut live in the studio.

4.       Jamie XX – Loud Places –  Being the standard issue socially awkward bespectacled white guy, EDM is my least listened to genre, especially the fast stuff. Love the new Jamie XX album, taking classic British melancholy to the otherwise contently coked up clubbed out masses.

5.       George Benson, Nature Boy – I still listen to a lot of G.B. and placed his peerless cover of Paul’s “OH! Darling” on my first Pop Miracles mix. Usually, it’s his amazing CTI crossover jazz records I listen to but this W.B. era number has such a swank bedroom disco-jazz vibe. Buy me a drink and I will tell you a tale of this song’s writer – the original sell-out (pre)hippy who modeled his look after Jesus – during the Swing era!

6.       Scott Walker with Goran Bregovic, Man From Reno – I discovered this song on a S.W. box set.  I respect his new avant-garde records but they are just too terrifying for repeat listening. This eccentric but slinky pop tune is what you’d think Walker would sound like now… if he was interested in sounding like this now.

7.       Roy Ayers, Papa Was A Rolling Stone – The original kept me spellbound as a kid and still does. This cover is just perfect. Guys like Ayers, Benson and Herbie Hancock figured out how to survive the ‘70s and ‘80s with their bank accounts full and their souls partially intact.

8.       Hall & Oates – Alone Too Long – Daryl was the real creative force in the duo but Oates had a few wonders up his sleeve – “I’m Just A Kid” and the chorus to “She’s Gone,” from their best album, and this up-tempo weeper, from their second best record.

9.       Ben Watt, Forget – Watt’s book Romany & Tom: A Memoir, about growing up between his creatively stifled, career destroying (and self) destructive parents has everything – alcoholism, suicide attempts, multi-generational nervous breakdowns, dementia, cancer and jokes about the clothes OMD wore on their first UK tour. Writing it got him to return to pop songwriting and the rich studio sound of the formative records he listened to while growing up.

10.   Paul Weller With Noonday Underground – This band creates wonderful sound collages but fan P.W. wrote a couple actual songs for them to perform. Like pretty much everything here, it’s not a dance tune but it gets your feet quietly tapping and shoulders nervously bobbing while you search for some canapés.

11.   John Lennon, What You Got – Franz Ferdinand obviously listened to this bristling funk-rocker more than the entire Joy Division catalog. From the second best Lennon solo set, most of which is polished and polite (with bite), but here John pops his (pre)post-punk buttons.

12.   The Sound, Counting The Days – This post-punk band had no luck. They played hard guitars and nobody cared. They got lushly produced, like here, and nobody cared. My brother bought this fine E.P. at the same cut-out, downtown record store where I bought my first Gil-Scott Heron records for $3.99. The store dust somehow got inside the plastic wrap on the LP covers.

13.   Arthur Russell, Get Around To It- I read about him in the Village Voice as an ‘80s teen but never even went looking for his stuff. Maybe scared of the pockmarks? Then, about a decade ago, Soul Jazz put out a CD comp and the UK rags started writing about him– so, of course, I listened. Lemming!

14.   Curtis Mayfield, Tripping Out – Like the Benson cover above, this one could just glide on forever. It kind of does.

15.   Steely Dan, Black Cow – I guess SD are the jazzy version of Rush – only the boys like them. Only Rush are now “ironically” love while The Dan are NOT cool for some reason. Weird, because they wrote and arranged great “cool” songs. Like how Mad Men was filmed in L.A., not sure how this duo made such NYC records (in sound and setting) while out West. Then, for Gaucho, they went back to N.Y. and cut an L.A. record!

16.   Herbie Hancock, Sun Touch – Not much of a tune here but it’s nice to just bob out into the blue water sometimes. Plus, I just love the sound of the Fender Rhodes.

17.   Benjamin Biolay, Rose Kennedy – The chorus translates as “With so few left alive, the nights must be long for Rose Kennedy” as a corrosive funk guitar riff and soaring strings slowly take over the song.

18.   Robert Palmer, Through It All There Is You – Palmer was my guiding principal on this list – an R&B and jazz fanatic who stayed in the game no matter what styles where thrown at him. I listen to his first LP and the synth-poppy Clues the most. I could listen to this song just for Bernard Purdie’s relentless drum work (best rock drum work ever!) and Steve Winwood’s organ licks but the way a dapper and restrained Palmer loses his shit by barely loosening his tie is worth more than a million screeching Janis Joplins.

***

Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

MARK ULRIKSEN, YOU'RE UP NEXT! GET MIRACLING! 

24 comments:

fritz said...

Gawwwwwwd-am! A fucking tour dee force! I am in awe.

So much great stuff all the way through it's hardly fair to single anything out, but I will mention that I loved the Roddy Frame ode to CA and also found that the toned-down EMD of Jamie XX suited my own brand of bespectaled-ness. The Paul Weller collaboration was great fun as well and the Benjamin Biolay was an exciting thoroughly new-to-me thing as well.

Lots of other familiar names here of course all fitting in beautifully with the theme; just beautifully done.

Above and beyond the musical delights, this set will be my go to for testing out any new hi-fi gear from here on out (and I'll be passing it along to a number of my local musical buddies for the same purposes).

As I said: in awe.

Danny Lee said...

Another vote for Jamie XX from a guy who would never buy a song from a guy named Jamie XX! Very nice, indeed. This entire lode is dug deep from the mellow mine, Nick. Everything's new to me. Love the Ben Watt and you got me interested in reading his book. While I'm looking for the book, I'll also be looking for more Ned Doheny - so LA, so good. And yeah - Eden Ahbez, one of my favorite music biz oddballs. Great listening - on a rooftop with mojitos and an ocean view or even at a kitchen table in my underpants.

xtina said...

AWWWWWmazing! Just read the liner notes and am doing a little freakout (okay, I thought at first that the mix started off with Lowdown and Roxy and my heart was doing the Hustle). I can't wait for this mix to turn me on (Robt Palmer FTW, although that, one of my favorites, is likely not anyone else's). Smooth stuff on the horizon! Setting sail....

Unknown said...

I saw the name "Nick Dedina" and thought this is gonna be another bombastic mix!

Fortunately I read the liner notes before I listened, and I totally get it!
I am only at the Loud Places, but the terrace mix is totally grooving in a Dedina day off / mojito way!

Unknown said...

Nick, you had me at "rooftop deck and pitcher of mojitos" (even if the reality was a deck in Oakland with my Soda Stream bubbly water and the gentle hum of 580 subbing for ocean waves....). This was the perfect weekend mix....full of funky grooves and lively beats. So much to kick back and just revel in.

And man, that Roy Ayers version of "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" totally reminded my of 1970s summers in Santa Cruz (say that 10 times fast) while my parents sipped strawberry daiquiri's outside at the Cooper House. And that's a really good thing. Alix

Toby said...

WHO KNEW ROBERT PALMER HAD THAT IN HIM

Melissa said...

Paul Weller, Paul Weller, Paul Weller, Paul Weller!!! (But how do I really feel?)

Karl said...

Wow.
As my wife said, halfway through the mix, "This sure is groovy!"
The whole thing gave me the feeling of going to a hip restaurant full of people younger, cooler, and more stylish than me, and me just soaking up that feeling of cool - not feeling jealous, just happy to be surrounded by it. Top hits for me were The Sound, Herbie Hancock, and Ned Doheny, but big ups to Bernard Purdie as well!

Laura said...

What Fritz, Alex and Karl said ... And, strangely great coincidence to find "Loud Places" on this mix the week after I got the Jamie xx record. I can't wait to really delve into this one further.

Wes said...

I love the fade in on the first song. And then such a cozy beat. What a great groove. The Bowie cut is fantastic. This mix has the best feeling. The Jamie XX cut is so smooth. Nature Boy is such a great song. Scott Walker always freaks me out in the best possible way. Such an interesting voice. I’m so happy to be listening to the Roy Ayers version of Papa. It’s my favorite. The organ part on the Ben Watt cut is fantastic. I really like the Paul Weller cut. I so liked the Jam. The Arthur Russell cut is delicious. What a treat. And, then there’s Curtis Mayfield. What a talent. Now to Steely Dan. I dig ‘em, always have. I had to look up Benjamin Biolay. This is a great song. The Robert Palmer song is great. Thank you, Nick.

Stephen B said...

So, so much to love!
Bowie's "Right" is right in my wheelhouse in so many ways.
Roddy Frame is sweetness and light in a lovely package.
The Jamie XX is revelatory - a solid down-tempo groove.
Your story about how you discovered The Sound takes me back to those days when I took a risk on something I hadn't heard before and found something delightful — that's how I found Gary Myrick and the Figures "She talks in Stereo" when I was about sixteen...
Oh, I'm going to check out Arthur Russell some more too..
Love the cover even though it reminds me of the terrible chemistry between Roger Moore and Grace Jones in one of the more forgettable Bond films — they kissed like they detested each other and Christopher Walken just didn't resonate as a villain...
Thanks for another great mix. And so glad to have you back in the fold!

Pepe Verde said...

Thank you Nick, I really enjoyed this. Even though I'm supposed (so I'm told) to be more into certain kinds of (power) pop, the truth is that lately I'm more and more into mellower sounds, and your mix totally hits the spot.
It definitely helps that you so masterfully blended such disparate sources, styles and eras into one unified theme! Jazz-soul meets soft-rock with a dash of electronica? Yes please!
My inner crate-digger particularly appreciated the fact that while I knew most of the artists, the song selection was virtually all out of my radar.
Special mention goes to Roy Ayers' version, a real gem that goes straight into my wantlist, and Ben Watt -- totally see what you mean, he does sound like a cross between Jackson Browne and Al Stewart. Who would believe that was produced by Ewan Pearson?
I'll have a Courvoisier on the rocks and a small cigar, thank you.

Pepe Verde said...

Well, I didn't mention Lennon because that was the one song I knew in and out, but beware the Liverpool boy going all funk.

Ethan Prater said...

Our Hostess gave me a heads up that this mix would be up my alley, and she hit it on the nose. Love seeing overlooked gems from people we've heard of, like Hall & Oates and Steely Dan. (Plus, although I'm whiter even than Doug Patterson, I also love the Roy Ayers-Curtis Mayfield-Herbie Hancock continuum.) And I love when the slickness of production is slathered on, one of the unifying themes as this masterful '70s-flavored go-round. Thank you!

sarah e said...

Best mix to listen to while recovering from Jet Lag! Like most cases of IJS: irritable jet lag syndrome, I found myself up at the magic hour of 3AM wired outta of my mind and feeling very anxious. I downloaded your mix and thought "why not, its not like this is going to make things worse"...glad I did. Talk about a metaphysical trip!

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

I live in the 70s musically and (in the vinyl bins at the record store) physically. So many of the tunes I connected to here were released smack in the middle of that sleazy/smooth decade. Some thoughts:
++Ned Doheny! Love the Boz Scaggs vibe.
++George Benson: I have great love for G.B., but when I'd heard this tune before (idly, in the background) I thought it was Stevie Wonder. It's a groover.
++Hall & Oates: You're damned straight that John O. had much to contribute -- "Back Together Again" is another great Oates tune that comes to mind
++John Lennon: Ouch! Do we have May Pang to blame for this one? ;-/
++I've retained my unabashed love for Steely Dan throughout many musical taste phases. THEY *ARE* COOL, DAMMIT!
Excellent job -- I really enjoyed this one

Van B said...

I first listened to this mix on the highway--big mistake--and I didn't get it at all. Then I read the liner notes, which are as much a pleasure as this kicked-back mix. So I grabbed my headphones, and settled in for the ride. There are so many subtle delight's in this mix: the organ work in "Postcard", G.B. singing along with his guitar, the entrance of the bass guitar underneath "I'll Walk Right On," Palmer's rolling dynamics. Through it all, Ayer's "Papa" is the highlight for me--what a superb rendition of a great song.

Nick Dedina said...

Xtina -- I'm not going to put radio hits everyone knows on a list but I had Roxy's "The Space Between" on here but figured that everybody in this group has the Avalon album, probably in various formats. I never figured out why that tune wasn't a single though. I swapped it out for their original electro extended 12' version of "Angel Eyes" (on their box set digitally) but I axed it, along with 7 other cuts, most of which was post-punk or neo-p-p/dance-rock stuff like Foals.

Van -- Like Donald Fagen once croaked out, "First, let's get off that highway." A highway is no place for man, or woman, to live.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Perfect match of theme and tunes. LOVE so much of this it;s hard to know where to start. I was only familiar with a few of the artists, let alone the songs, i.e who is Arthur Russell and where does that voice come from? Mayfield's "Tripping Out" sounds like a slightly groovier cousin of Bowie's "Right". Hall and Oats must be part of the DNA of Flight of the Concords. After hearing Nature Boy I know I need to get me some more George Benson in my life. And the extended Robert Palmer closer was like one last nightcap as the sun sets on a perfect double-mix.

ST said...

Sweet Mix, Nick. I eschewed the deck and mojitos for my first listen, opting instead for an Old Fashioned and a seat in the first-class cabin on a San-Diego-to-Miami red-eye flight, and this mix paired really nicely (BONUS: Imagine hearing "Man from Reno" for the first time, in that setting, next to a slinky brunette [and purely coincidental, luck-of-the-airline-draw] seatmate - oh, where the mind goes - I considered introducing myself as "Dedina. Nick Dedina." But then thought better of it). Solid through and through. Thanks.

(Does anyone feel like you can take that Herbie Hancock tune and sample it as the basis for ~all 1970s cop-show incidental music? So fundamental.)

Doug said...

Smoove.

I am so totally loving this mix, even though it treads dangerously close to my upcoming (eventually) theme. Not a fart in the barrel, as a discourteous Scotsman and former writing partner of mine often said. It should be noted that I spent five hours listening to Robert Palmer and only getting two hours of sleep on a work night after listening to this mix. Thank you (I think), Nick.

Ray said...

Getting caught up on my commenting, so I'll start with Nick's amazing mix.
Such good grooves with the sun outside to match.
Makes me want to rent a beach cottage and have cocktail parties every weekend for a year.

lauren said...

What took me so long?! I've got it on repeat now & loving it. Great stuff. Great flow. George Benson , Roy Ayers, Steely Dan and Palmer FTW!