June 10, 2015
Miracler
Beth McKenna
Location
Oakland, CA
Just who is this blasphemer?
That would be Beth McKenna, lawyer/wife/mom and guitarist/singer of Bay Area band Shitty Shitty Band Band and Beshka and the Bolsheviks. Further padding her defense to the musical question 'How dare you?' re: today's theme is her 'Why NOT me?' offering: Feb. 2014's comment magnet, Fistful of Wistful. This group has been asked to stretch their minds and hearts in the past (Barry Manilow, anyone?) but today may represent a true challenge for you purists. PS: thanks in advance for keeping any protests peaceful and a safe distance from Prodge HQ.
Okay, Beth McKenna, we're listening.
Liner Notes by BMcK
What makes a good cover version of a song?
I've sung more than my fair share of covers in various bands, sometimes with the goal of honoring the intent of the original artist, and other times choosing to subvert it.
In this mix, I put together a collection of Beatles recordings by other artists as a meditation on this question. I found that it can be a complete reinterpretation of the song, like Junior Parker's take on "Tomorrow Never Knows," that breathes new life into the familiar, but there are other covers here, like Steve Earle's version of "I'm Looking Through You," that make only subtle alterations to the original, yet nevertheless get me to think about the song in a way I never had before. Have a listen to this mix and let me know what you think.
P.S. "Better than the Beatles" was the inscription on a YouTube link to the cover of "Eleanor Rigby" by the band Zoot (featuring RICK SPRINGFIELD, and included in this mix) and it seemed a fitting title, so there you have it.
I've sung more than my fair share of covers in various bands, sometimes with the goal of honoring the intent of the original artist, and other times choosing to subvert it.
In this mix, I put together a collection of Beatles recordings by other artists as a meditation on this question. I found that it can be a complete reinterpretation of the song, like Junior Parker's take on "Tomorrow Never Knows," that breathes new life into the familiar, but there are other covers here, like Steve Earle's version of "I'm Looking Through You," that make only subtle alterations to the original, yet nevertheless get me to think about the song in a way I never had before. Have a listen to this mix and let me know what you think.
P.S. "Better than the Beatles" was the inscription on a YouTube link to the cover of "Eleanor Rigby" by the band Zoot (featuring RICK SPRINGFIELD, and included in this mix) and it seemed a fitting title, so there you have it.
***
Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK
NICK DEDINA, YOU'RE UP NEXT! GET MIRACLING!
NICK DEDINA, YOU'RE UP NEXT! GET MIRACLING!

21 comments:
Hey ho: As the risk of jumping the gun, I just want to add that I assigned this title as a bit of a joke -- I'm not so much concerned whether these covers are *better* than the Beatles' versions, but rather whether these recordings do justice to these tunes as covers. Anyway, thanks for listening and thanks as always to Kelly for providing this awesome platform. -Beth
Brilliant concept! And to think, in my little running note of semi-constructed concepts for 3MPM mixes, I had a way-too-general "Under the Covers" thing running. Starting right at the top with The Greatest Band That Ever Was And Will Ever Be is awesome. (Preview, in case it ever comes to light: my "Under the Covers" includes another cover by Yes from the same era, of Paul Simon's "America" into which they insert a lick from Leonard Bernstein's "America".) But I digress - time to go dig into a mix that so properly ends with "Her Majesty"....
That Junior Parker cover of Tomorrow Never Knows is so deep, Beth! It's nearly impossible to better a Beatles song, but for an artist to take on one of their very best songs and make it completely your own, and do it in a whole 'nother idiom – the Blues – AND match the original song's power? Damn, damn, damn good.
The Marianne Faithful I'm A Loser is another fave in this mix. Her young voice was unique long before the junk and cigarettes and hard times gave it all that gravelly gravitas.
Love You To by Bong Water! To hear Ann Magnuson sung offering of, "I'll make love to you, if you want me to," leaves me dumbfounded. Who'd say no?
Just realized that the only covers I've ever heard before on this mix are the ones by The Feelie's and Bongwater. 3MPMP at its best – not just good stuff for the ears, but gettin' turned on to new good stuff. Thanks for sharing!
* * *
P.S. I've been obsessing on The Beatles for the last week, having just scored a used paperback of Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald. Highly recommended reading for anyone who geeks out on artistic process, and/or The Fab Four.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_in_the_Head
My first was to be "offended" (mock offense, really) by the title of this mix, but then I read further and understood what you are doing here, Beth. I'm a huge Beatles fan, myself, but I also sing a lot of Beatles songs...in public. So I can't exactly judge anyone else for singing them, can I? The Deanne Iovan and Ramsey Lewis covers are my favorite of this collection.
(And for the record, the first time...or the first 100 times, really...that I ever heard "Got To Get You Into My Life", it was the Ella Fitzgerald version, which my mother greatly preferred to the Beatles original and used to play over and over in our living room when I was a kid.)
This just in from David Bowie, regarding Track 4:
In a 1999 interview with Rolling Stone, Fanny fan David Bowie revealed his respect for the band:[1]
One of the most important female bands in American rock has been buried without a trace. And that is Fanny. They were one of the finest... rock bands of their time, in about 1973. They were extraordinary... they're as important as anybody else who's ever been, ever; it just wasn't their time. Revivify Fanny. And I will feel that my work is done.
—David Bowie
Beth, Just downloaded your set and can't wait to play this all day today. Also a HUGE Beatles fan and I love collecting covers and yet outside of The Feelies these are all going to be new to me. Totally cool concept, thanks!
I was also ready to unleash my mock fury upon such blasphemy, but as well I also very much appreciate the concept -- and enjoy curious/unusual covers!
I only knew the Feelies' cover (a total favorite) and the Carpenters's one. Really excited as I unwrap this. So far impressed with some Yes I can actually dig, Rick Springfield's band of which I had no idea, and Fanny! How random is that? Never heard about them, and now it's the second time someone's mentioned them this week! And same album at that. Must mean something.
Thank you Beth!!!
I'm always amazed about how many different covers there are out there of Beatles songs. Some great, some not that great, but this is a fine selection that most of them I have not heard.
Great comp, Beth!
RAD! I love this mix not only because the album artwork reminds me of one of Dave Tibbs's many music inspiration style phases, but also I love the fact you put the Carpenters right after Bongwater! Fanny totally reminds me of a Dark Abba, that may be uncool to admit - especially in this forum, but I just had to put that out there. Good job, I like!!!
I love a themed mix. How about an all jazz instrumental Beatles mix? Some say that Yesterday is the most covered -- in recordings -- pop song in history: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=82
The Junior Parker strikes me as especially inspired.
Thanks for sharing, Beth!
Junior Parker: Best Beatles Cover Ever!
Beatles cover collections are always better served by not featuring George Burns.
Almost all new ones to me here and there's plenty to love: the Feelies' skittery, twitchy 'Monkey', Fanny's solid, tough-goil 'Bulldog', Ramsey Lewis' suave, Norman Lear Productions 'Sadie', and the just-perfectly twangy 'I'm Looking Through You.' Nicely curated!
Also have to give a special mention to the version of 'Love to You' which may have been the track that made my friend Rob vomit while I was introducing him to Bongwater a few years ago. I like it anyway.
This is the perfect way to start this mix. I actually do think this version by The Feelies is better than the Beatles. I always did like the Feelies. I had to look up Zoot. Then I went down the wormhole to find out that Rick Springfield is Australian. I had no idea. I agree with the YouTube link that inspired the mix, this version is better than the Beatles. The guitar part is fantastic. I was recently reading about a resurgence of interest in the music of Fanny. Their version of this song is really good. I’ll have to dig into them further. I had to look up Deanne Lovan too. How interesting that she was in Gore Gore Girls. I like this version of Glass Onion. I’m such a fan of Bongwater. I knew that I’d like this cover and I was right. I love how it borders so close to becoming totally unhinged all through the song. The Junior Parker cut is fantastic. What a great voice and the guitar is so incredibly haunting. How sad that he died not long after releasing it. The Ramsey Lewis version of Sexy Sadie has such a great groove. I don’t think I would have been able to tell that I’m A Loser was Marianne Faithful. It’s so light and upbeat. What a treat. I love the Bee Gees. This cover is absolutely joyful. It loved The Carpenters too. I actually learned to play drums by listening to their records when I was about 10 or 11. Karen’s voice is magical and this cover is haunting. This was great fun. Thank you, Beth.
What a great idea! I'm digging The Feelies, Fanny, and the Low Anthem. Thanks Beth!
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said here. That said - fucking Zoot! So great! The mix as a whole is a great blending of people doing straightforward covers of great songs and people making great songs great in a different way. The Yes cover (goofballs), the Carpenters cover (smoothing out the rough edges in an oh-so-Carpenterian way), the Junior Parker cover (stripped down and chilled out), and the Bee Gees cover (points added for a great attempt at nailing that snare sound; points subtracted for not doing the "Frere Jacques" backing vocals) are particular favorites. Oh, and I now have to check out more early Marianne Faithfull for sure!
I challenged my daughters to figure out the theme of this mix, knowing that any of them could do it. So far, they've determined that all the songs are covers. My favorite reworkings are those by Yes, Fanny and Bongwater. My 11-year-old cannot get enough of Karen's crooning of Ticket to Ride, and I have to agree with her. I played with a Beatles tribute band a few years ago and worked up a mashup of Eleanor Rigby with Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll, which worked amazing well (although I couldn't convince the loyalists to perform it live)--it is great to hear Zoot's similarly heavy take on the song.
Surprised to dig so many tracks I didn't think I would: Yes, Bee Gees, Marianne Faithfull. The Low Anthem does a beautiful thirty seconds and Fanny gets nasty. Love those girls. Seems like Steve Earle could have written "I'm Looking Through You" - ideal cover. And God help me, I like Zoot. Fantastic mix. Thanks Beth!
Beth, Beth, Beth.....I'm soooo into this concept. Call me crazy but I LOVE the Hey Jude cover by the Jazz Crusaders. It's so awesomely out there (the keyboard and horns are like a dance interlude on a 70s variety show!). Love it! Also really loved Marianne Faithfull, Bee Gees, and Steve Earle. And holy ZOOT....Rick Springfield??? New guilty pleasure. *High Fives* Beth!!!!! Brilliant job! xo Alix
The concept alone is a coup!
And I had no idea that some of these bands had Beatles covers!
"Hey Bulldog" is fantastic, love the Bongwater version of "Love to You", and the Jazz Crusaders' "Hey Jude" is a ton of fun. But I have to say that the Carpenters' "Ticket to Ride" stands out as the most radical reinterpretation. I now have a much different feeling about that song.
Thanks for the goodness Beth!
How did you manage to pull this off and not include "Got To Get You Into My Life" by EW&F? You're amazing, that's how. Who is Zoot, and why am I not a completist? They're great. I am so tired of hipsters telling me that "Tomorrow Never Knows" is their favorite Beatles song that I cannot wait to tell the next one they haven't really heard the song until they've heard Junior Parker sing it. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THE PRODGE. (It allows me to act superior.)
BTW – sweet that you ended with "Her Majesty."
I think I played this version of "I'm a Loser" about 100 times this weekend. Well, maybe just that 8-bar instrumental break in the middle. Damn.
Post a Comment