May 29, 2015
Miracler
Tim Carroll
Location
Austin
Ladies and Gents, Tim Carroll has stolen all the music.
You read right. If, as many people believe, all pop music, 95% of it anyway, is ultimately, under all the notes and all the words, about that 4-letter L word, and if, as is the case, every Season 7 mix is to feature a theme, and theme repeats are verboten (this is a lot of commas), then I guess the rest of us will be left with...The Clash's catalog. Well, some of it.
But don't blame the sinner, blame the sin.
After all, the sinner once made us a mix entirely out of flute solos. Then there was the time when he made a mix described by one of you as 'Top to bottom, it's pure joy.' Same guy also gave us Paradise and Bed back in '09, his Miracling debut.
Today, he eats up all the scenery with this genre-straddling story of almost-lost innocence. A couple parting notes from TC:
"You'd Think That People Would Have Had Enought Of Silly Love Songs.
But I Look Around Me And I See It Isn’t So.”
But I Look Around Me And I See It Isn’t So.”
– We’ ve only had enough of silly love songs, Sir Paul. The non-silly love songs don’ t wear out.
* * *
I managed to get two Joni Mitchell songs and one B.B. King song into the set. RIP Mr. King, and get well soon, Joni.
Mix is UP. Check your email for the password. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK
BETH MCKENNA, YOU'RE UP NEXT! GET MIRACLING!
BETH MCKENNA, YOU'RE UP NEXT! GET MIRACLING!

24 comments:
Holy crapadoodle, I just checked out the track list.
I flippin LOVE Tim Carroll!
What can you do on a Friday afternoon when your workday isn't done, but you have finished your work? Listen to a new music mix, that's what!
First, how is it that the only song on this mix that I have ever heard before is the Tom Jones tune? I blame myself. As I should; it certainly isn't anyone else's fault.
My two favorites on first listen are the Abbey Lincoln opener and the Vejtables song. I love both for different reasons, but talk about bliss. I can never resist a Buzzcocks tune (I really am remiss for not being familiar that one already), and the Persuasions also have made a good impression on me. All in all, I'm in love with love.
I just realized that I never knew the title of "Soul Love" because I always just listened to it as part of an album side!
I totally dig the concept of this mix, Tim! Lots of great songs of losing your grasp on shit thanks to falling in Love.
Even if it isn't Bed No. 2.
Dammit.
Genre-straddling is right; my lobes have whiplash from some of the sharp turns here!
Favorite cut is the Persuasions. Although, like GB Shaw I can't imagine Zappa ever expressed himself unironically he certainly would have been extremely happy to have an actual doo-wop group group do right by his send-up.
Also, really like the cover art. Nailed it!
My least favorite Club Med location is the one on Precoitus Island.
Love all over the map. Hip shaking (Junior P.), street corner crooning (Persuasions), Byrds homaging (Vejtables - man, I love this track). Great, Tim.
Great mix, Tim! I guess I wasn't the only Miracler to dig The Vejtables tune. I'm a total sucker for that faux folk-y mid-60s sound. P.S. I have a Junior Parker song on my mix (next up!) and it couldn't sound more different from the one on yours.
Hubba Hubba Tom Jones. Great Mix and although I grew up in the neighboring town of Burlingame, I never heard of the Vejtables (nor has my mother, but she was a total square and liked the Lawrence Welk Show so that makes sense).
Just downloaded. First thing that caught my eye -- WHOA! The Vejtables!!! Über-cool. Are they know at all? Always hard for me to know how obscure are some of these delicacies...
Great selection, even greater title! Thanks Tim, more comments upon completion :)
I always enjoy your mixes Tim. Particularly dig the juxtapositions in this one, ex: B.B. King to The Buzzcocks, Junior Parker to Daniel Johnston. Must admit I was oblivious to Johnston, so thanks for getting him into my ears. That Love Wheel song hits the spot — his voice sounds like it's on the verge of a breakdown or something. Good, Good, Good Stuff.
I have never been a big fan of straight-up blues, and my ability to appreciate classic R&B or Motown-y stuff was Big Chill-ed out of me during my formative years, so it was a distinct pleasure to crack open this mix and get schooled by B.B. and Aretha with a couple of dynamite songs! Al Green & Barry White also held it down nicely (or perhaps I should say their drummers did [it does seem like quite a tease to have Barry White come up in the list, but not get any of that silky smooth baritone in my earholes]), and that's the best Joni Mitchell song I've ever heard, as well. I'm with everyone else on the list here in being wowed by Vejtables - what a cut! As for the songs I know and love, you can't go wrong with The Buzzcocks, as far as I'm concerned. And "Soul Love"? Come on! I still get teary at "a brave son / who gave his life to save the / slogan that hovers between the headstone and her eyes". That song and "Love You More" also have great little bits in pauses - in "Soul Love", it's the two hi-hat hits right before we drop back into the verses, and in "Love You More", it's that little *ching* harmonic right before the first verse (for another of my favorites of this kinda thing, listen to the two drum machine snare hits as the chorus of Geto Boys' "Mind Playin Tricks On Me" drops back into the verse - I can't explain why, but those things please me to no end!)
To sum up, excellent mix - thanks again!
This is what I call a mix; clever, tuneful and full of variety to keep you coming back for more. Great work Tim! Paul R
Alright! Great comments, y'all. Where to start? Take it from the top! / Mizz Stork – I thought you'd this one. A soupçon of kitsch keeps the masterpieces from getting all uppity, right? Certified nutcase Daniel Johnston on a mix with Aretha Franklin – sacrilege is sweet. / Melissa – I trust you are a Tom Jones fan. Our whole family, including my gal pal's 85 year-old mom, recently saw Tom Jones perform in Austin. Great show. Nice guy, too. / Jeanne-Marie – It’s hard to resist putting at least one David Bowie song in every mix, dontcha think? Bowie’s 1972 to 1979 incarnations are the only ones that work for me... but who could ask for more artistic variety and perfection? / Fritz – Lobes be knocked! Mea culpa. I am indeed an incorrigible genre fucker-upper. Not just done to mess with expectations, I actually enjoy jarring segues. The mark of a short attention span. You speak big truth about the non-existence of a single unironic Frank Zappa song. FZ was also very anti-love song. Accordingly, I just had to sneak a Zappa song in here by way of The Persuasions. / Danny – Hip shakin’ is right! Pay no mind to the fashion industry ladies, “Big fat mama meat shakes on the bone” women are the ones who make the rockin’ world go ‘round. / Beth and Sarah and Pepe – VEJTABLES! WOO-HOO, MILBRAE, GO FEMALE DRUMMERS! Here sits another another Bay Area native who doesn’t know diddley about them, except for being Frisco folk-rockers with a Rickenbacker Byrds guitar sound and beautiful harmonies. / Beth – More Junior Parker, please! Mystery Train? Here's hoping so. / Peter – B.B. King had to be in there somewhere, having just died. I love that man. Juxtaposition considerations hereabouts usually come down to “Hmm, wadda I wanna hear next?” If the segues work at all it’s usually by accident. That Love Wheel song by Daniel Johnston is powerful. Dig that punchy bass. / Karl – You crazy kids nowdays! Not a lover of Motown? But seriously, I hear you about the Big Chilled-out thing. That movie bugged me then, and it bugs me now. I also hate-hate-hate it whenever a song I like is used in a TV commercial. If music lovers would just PAY artists who bring the world such joy, artists wouldn’t have to whore their art to capitalism. “When a problem comes around, you must Swiff it. Swiff it good" – indeed. / I was a big Cowsills fan in third grade. And yes, The Devil In Daniel Johnston is a great documentary! Sad, too.
Tim, I enjoyed this very much. I don't think I'd heard half the tunes, and while it did not lead to the coitus I was hoping for, the spouse enjoyed many of the tunes as well. This will be a repeat listener.
Karl - I'd always sung that little hi-hat kick as "Passat Passat," noting Bowie's thus-far-squandered VW advert tie-in. As for "Love's Theme," I've spent probably far more cumulative time wondering how the decision was made to set the mixing level for the wah rhythm guitar than was actually spent making that decision. Fun mix, Tim!
that was pop. The Vejtables tune was also on Thorina Rose's 2008 3mpmp mix. deserved to be included twice anyway. Reminds me of Clique's Superman. Thanks for sharing, Tim.
Sam – You are right! It was on Thorina's mix. Having lost a good hunk of my 3mpmp songs to a hard drive crash, I didn't see it in my iTunes. Thorina and I are old friends, and yeah, I now remember that from seven years back. / ST – I love that "Passat Passat" hi-hat description. As for wah wah levels? They should always be up in the red – ON EVERY SONG. / Kevin and ST – The "Precoitus Island" joke here is an oblique one. While doing the mix I was getting into songs that have the giddy, just-falling-love, amped-up feelings that young lovers have. Love energy that precedes messing up the sheets, right?
Tim, looks like our fine hostesses admonition to comment or perish has led to some great dialog here. First off , LOVE the Love cover. Wasn't familiar with the Abbey Lincoln number and that Billie piece wasn't part of my library until now. Like everyone I dug the Vejtables (sounds like it could have been in "A Mighty Wind"). Whenever I hear vintage Bowie I'm reminded of how much I love his music. You introduced me to Daniel Johnston many decades ago. If any of you have never seen Tom Jones live get the to a concert of his. He looks and sounds great, and the panty throwing frenzy from the crowd never gets old. That Barry White song always sounds like background music while the credits from some televised golf broadcast sroll by.
Whenever I need to hear something different, I look to blokes like Tim, who definitely have a different take on the approach to the mix.
Love it all, Tim. Thanks!
These are all great songs so I can't pick any favorites. So nice to see Barry White pop up in a mix--I think he recorded Love's Theme back in the days before he resigned himself to the fact that no one would ever be able to sing his songs like he could. I don't think I will ever get tired of hearing Billie Holiday's voice. And Al Green's. And Aretha's. And Joni's.
Lawdy, this was a rollercoaster of love, luff, lerve, LOVE....lots of twists and turns, zipping in and out of genres so quickly and cleverly....one minute I'm bouncing to the Buzzcocks, the next Tom Jones is giving me his bedroom eyes and I'm asking myself, "How did I ever live with out listing to my Vejitables??!!" Nice one, as always Tim!!! xo Alix
What a great start to the mix. I love that the first song poses the eternal question - should I order cyanide or order champagne. Such a great song. God, Bowie at his best is absolutely magical. What an amazing song. There is a great documentary streaming on Netflix right now called The Life of Riley about B.B. King. I never get tired of his stuff. This is Aretha at her finest. What an amazing voice and the perfect bass line. I love this Joni Mitchell song. I remember hearing it as a child. Billie did no wrong. This is one of so many great songs. And then Al Green. This mix gets better and better. Junior Parker is amazing. I was so happy to see him on Beth’s mix too. I had a long conversation with my nephew this past weekend about Daniel Johnston. I had to describe him as, well, indescribable. Such an interesting songwriter. I’m a sucker for Doo-wop. The Persuasions were so good. That bass voice is stunning. Tom Jones. Such a voice. And what a great groove to finish out the mix. Thanks so much, Tim.
"Love's Theme" came out in my senior year. I remember driving up the coast from LA for a college interview and listening to this song over and over and over. I felt so free. I might have even pleasured myself just outside of Goleta. Even today, I am slightly tumescent listening to this mix. Thank you, Tim Carroll.
Post a Comment