Monday, June 1, 2009

I'm in love with that song

Date:
June 1, 2009

Miracler:
Laura Compton

Location:
San Francisco

About this week's Miracler
Golden-eyed Laura Compton brings literal street cred to our music-loving group, having grown up in Lacey, Washington near I-5 Off Ramp 108, aka Sleater-Kinney. Her taste encompasses indie-chick but extends to lots of other stuff which she's about to share with you.

An avid follower of fashion both hi and lo, Laura is the Style editor at the SF Chronicle, parsing out timeless advice both in the paper and on myriad websites, like here, here, here, and here. You can also follow her observations on Twitter here. Laura is married to the Sacramento-based Marcus Crowder—perhaps their double-digit years of I-80 commutes will earn them their own exit one of these days.

Mix is here. Enjoy, XOK

6 comments:

kelly niland said...

This is one fun mix, lady. Surprising in moments (Joan Armatrading: gutsy!) and essential in others (Lloyd Cole, Lou Reed, Lambchop, Shuggie Otis, and Dean & Britta: silenced by 3MPMP no more!), I have most-favorited pretty much every track for my personal best-of-3MPMP collection. Brava!

Doug said...

Thanks, Laura. I'm now the proud owner of my very first Joan Armatrading song. A very fine collection of tunes here, including my personal favorite of Lambchop's. And I really liked "Ship to Shore." Which is saying something , as I normally can't stand Dub Narcotic Sound System (I hate Calvin Johnson's voice - mercifully absent here). Also, it was nice to see Lou Reed and Nico back together again.

Laura said...

Doug, glad you enjoyed it. Dub's guest star, Lois, makes all the difference ... she has done some nice collaborating with Brendan Canty of Fugazi, too.

Sam Koritz said...

Lots of keepers & old friends here. The Armatrading is as good as it gets, imo, & brought me back to... high school? That is one inspired album but I also have a soft spot for the new wave "Drop The Pilot." I'll never have that hormonal soup recipe again; music now is made of notes. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifARMmcqhD8

OK, Dub Narcotic, sounding like Style Council -- keeper! I saw them at the BotH w/ Mommyhead Jeff Palmer, & they're playing & he asks why DN is cool but Mheads considered square. Musicians! Well, no Mommyhead belly dance for one. No sweater cult either.

Ivy. Good band that I wouldn't have noticed w/out the 3mpmp. Thanks! And good song.

Luna. I love the original & Luna plays it pretty close, & I don't usually like covers that sound like the original, but I like this. A combination of a good song & the funny vocals. Have you read "Black Postcards"? 3mpmp must-read.

Lou Reed. I won't bore any facebook pals o mine that might be here w/ a repeat of the story of the time I met Reed.

Nico. Love that song & was just long enough since I last heard it.

Thanks, Laura

Ray said...

Great mix, Laura!
I'm not a fan of Nico, but I love "These Days." Good to hear that Lou Reed tune also. I think I have the 45 of it at home somewhere.

Laura said...

Sam -- It was hard to choose the Joan track; so many great ones. It was a late add; several other tracks I had used originally (Pixies, Yo La Tengo) got snapped up.

Glad you liked it -- I listen to yours a lot, so it's fitting.