DateJuly 6, 2011
Miracler
Alexandra Tyler
Location
Oakland, CA
A fresh new face for the Prodge! Stuff I love about Alex Tyler, by Your Hostess
1. She hails from Michigan. So, funny/ friendly/ direct/ thoughtful and all those other (real!) Midwestern qualities. Solid.
2. Her look: Esther Williams on ecstasy meets Valley of the Dolls on dolls meets Xanadu Olivia Newton-John on roller skates. Each morning before the mirror, Ms. Tyler actually defies Coco Chanel's adage and puts one more accessory ON. And if there's not at least one sparkly piece on her, she goes back into the house to fix that.
3. She won't tell you this, but our gal's a super-talented advertising creative type. Over the years, she's worked with G. Stefani, S. Doggy Dogg, K. West, J. Z, and some normal clients too. If you're curious, here's a blog with some of her work.
4. But mostly I just like her cuz she's true-blue and super-fun and always seems to find the bright side of stuff. I think by the time you're done with today's mix, you'll agree heartily.
Oh, couple of factoids before you hit 'play':
Big bummer: Alex also had that fabu Mayer Hawthorne track on her mix (which lead off Toby's last week) when she sent it to me a couple of weeks ago. Happens. But in this case: double-bummer, cuz MH's actually an old friend of hers! Boo-hoo. But enjoy it in a new context here. Also, yes, Doug Patterson, you had 'Pull Shapes' on a past mix, but try as we may to avoid, repeats happen too. Alex wasn't yet in the Prodge then, so we'll give her a pass. Especially since her mix is super-Doug-friendly. Oh, and PS: consider Track 14 CLAIMED as Your Hostess' personal Major League Baseball at-bat song, should such things ever become necessary.
Bits About Me, by AT
Hmmm, I'm a Devil-Ette (synchronized 60s go-go dancing, aka The Rock-n-Roll Rockettes! http://devilettes.com), a crazy retro design blogger behind modern kiddo, recently voted one of Lucky Magazine's fave kid's design blogs—Woot!, a master (mistress??) of vintage clothing, and I count my "romantic weekend getaway" with our Prodge Hostess to the Marin Songbird Cottage (under the auspices of screenplay co-writing) a couple of summers ago as one of my fondest memories.
LINER NOTES
As a big ol thriftaholic and collector of vintage everything, I initially I wanted to do a mix of all groovy 60s tunes...but then I thought it might be fun to take a look at some modern stuff that is heavily retro- inspired. While these newbies come close, nothin' beats the originals. So I had to toss in some old tunes too.
Thanks for lettin' me play, Miraclers! It's been an inspiring season.
1. Begin the Beguine - April Stevens & Nino Tempo I took the easy way out...but really it's always best to start at the very beguine-ing.
2. The Boat that I Rowed - Sodsai Chaengkij 1967 was a big year for this song. Neil Diamond wrote and recorded it. Then Lulu did her own version. And finally this bee-hived cutie from Bangkok did her own rendition.
3. Hey, Me I'm Riding - Lee Hazelwood I've always had a soft spot for 60s crooner Lee through his partnership with Nancy Sinatra—and the brilliantly titled album "Poet, Fool or Bum?"
4. Pull Shapes - The Pipettes This girl trio is so damn cute. I'm not sure what the hell Pull Shapes means (someone told me it was British slang for dancing?) all I know is that this song gets me movin'.
5. Jerk It Out - The Caesars Another shake and shimmy from some fun lovin' Swedes (aren't all Swedes fun loving?).
6. Breakin' The Chains of Love - Fitz and the Tantrums These guys are a more recent discovery for me. I love the name. I like the music even better.
7. Chick Habit - April March Originally recorded by France Gall as "Laisse Tomber les Filles" (perhaps the one case where the English name is more pleasing than the French) April March's snarky version is pretty swell.
8. The Ills - Mayer Hawthorne My Detroit home boy.
9. Better Things - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings Ms Jones has the funky soul thing down...and with the Dap Kings backing her, this woman is clearly ready.
10. Beat Me til I'm Blue - Alan Hawkshaw OK, back in the time machine again. This fella was mostly known for composing movie soundtracks but he did release an album under the name The Mohawks. OK. He also formed a band called Rumplestiltskin, but we don't really like to talk about that. Mmmmm, that tasty Hammond is so good it hurts.
11. Beatnik Daddy - Barbara Evans Deceptively sweet, Babs was clearly the bad girl at Annette's pajama party.
12. Time of the Season - The Zombies It's one of their most well known, and one of my faves.
13. You Know I'm No Good - Amy Winehouse Overplayed and overexposed, it took me a while to give ol Amy a spin again. I'm sure glad I did, because she still sounds great.
14. How You Like Me Now - The Heavy {Insert James Brown-style grunt.} Yeah, you might remember it from that damn Kia commercial but as Allie Fung said, "deal with it" ;-)
15. Of Sex and Demise - Man or Astroman? Science fiction infused surf rock. What's not to like?
Mix is up. Listen and comment. And then comment on others. Cuz that's the deal. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page.
Until next week,
XOK
28 comments:
This is mix is like the dream where you visit your favorite old time amusement park, or boardwalk and you finish it off with a root beer float or a tin roof sundae.
Man, I almost had some Fitz on my mix too!
Mayer is smooth. Sounds like Curtis Mayfield. The bongos and the horn lines add to the similarity. Lyrically? Maybe too simple. But Simple can be Effective, and Mayer sounds totally sincere. Any artist who does a respectful and faithful version of leaving his Heart In San Francisco has my vote. /// Sharon Jones oozes soul. /// Dang! that "Beat Me Till I'm Blue" has some fat B3 grinding. Never heard of Hotel Easy. "The Boat I Row" and Sodsai Chaenkij, too. /// Love "Chick Habit." For my two Netflix cents that song was the best thing in Death Proof. Left me seeking out France Gall's original. Great as that song is, I also dig the metallic sassiness of April March's version. /// Thanks for The Ceasars, Alex. Yet another mighty flavor-filled organ. Farfisa? And that crazy stereo mix, with those voices coming from both channels at the end of the song, had me thinkin' someone was yelling from another room. /// The Heavy is. That Man Or Astroman track is tasty stuff, but I'm wishin' it was tucked inside a bit earlier, with the mix ending on the statement of "How You Like Me Now." /// Super-fun mix!
Great little summertime mix! Makes me smile at the hot weather. Can't get The Boat that I Row out of my head, though...
Nice stuff. Had to wait until mrs. fritz left for work to dance around the house but it was worth it. Really liked the Pipettes, the Caesars, and the Tantrums. Hearing 'The Boat That I Rowed' made me bust out her cover of 'Lady Madonna' shortly afterward.
I'm loving a bunch of these songs, it's a great mix that has a nice flow. This Caesars song has an Oasis-gone-Gidget quality that I'm liking. Fun fun fun.
Hey everyone!
thanks so much for the nice words. it was super fun to put this together...and after the Mayer Hawthorne debacle I'm doubley glad you guys like. (way to start my 3mpm career, with a repeater, eh??)
Jeanne-Marie, your comment made me smile! Love that....totally the vibe I was going for. And Toby...thank the lawdy you passed on Fitz!
Tim, I loved everything you said (and totally hear ya on tucking Man or Astroman in a little further. good call!)
John G: I have had that damn song stuck in my head for weeks too.
Fritz...haha....so glad this mix had you movin'! And lauren, love the Oasis gone Gidget note!
THANKS EVERYONE!
*L*
As noted above, it's just a perfect summer mix. I'm buying a convertible and heading to the beach immediately, these songs a-blaring. The Mayer Hawthorne track works SO much better on this mix! And Sodsai Chaenkij? I'm ordering my copy of Thai Beat a Go Go today. BTW—nice to hear a B3 workout from a fellow miracler. Thanks, Alexandra!
Hey, Me I'm Riding!
I haven't listened to it in *forever* ... the first notes I am transported back, somewhere. Somewhere good, cause I can't quite grasp what or where.
Loving, good, hipshaking.
fun! fun! fun!
Hotel Easy.
I want to stay in that hotel.
"Beatnik Daddy, kiss me quick,
I want to be your Beatnik chick."
Thank you for reminding us that life doesn't have to complicated....
Lurvely mix!
This is such a great summer mix.I made the college girl in the Faygo t-shirt sitting next to me on the plane listen to it. Especially dig the Caesars, Hotel Easy, the return of the Zombies... Will be forcing this on co-workers and cousins for months. Well done!
Howdy, Alexandra. Tim again. KUT FM here in Austin just played Nick Cave and Neko Case's cover of "She's Not There" (what a hoot!) and that got me thinking about your mix's inclusion of The Zombies. It's a band I've always liked, but know next to zip about. While watching Life Aquatic and hearing The Zombies' "The Way I Feel Inside" I had no idea who was singing until the credits rolled. Even thought Is that Nico singing? /// After some Web look-ups, I've gotten a bit more Zombie educated. Apparently "Time of The Season" hit it big just as the band was calling it quits. Another Fun Fact: The 70s band Argent, who did that organ-driven anthem, "Hold Your Head Up," was post-Zombies Rod Argent's namesake band. Learn sumptin' new everyday.
Always loved the album covers for Tempo and Stevens, but never heard 'em. They're great. Never heard of any of this stuff. Sodsai is a revelation, Hotel Easy is a groove and Lee Hazelwood is just so suave. Good work!
Hey everyone again. Thank you so much for the very cool comments!
ST, "I made the college girl in the Faygo t-shirt sitting next to me on the plane listen to it. " is the best quote ever.
Tim, YES! The Zombies are pretty great. I almost put "She's Not There" on instead. I love that tidbit about Argent! I didn't know that.
Danny, so glad you like. Sodsai does a pretty groovy Lady Madonna too.
Caesers kick ass! More Swedish rock please. And I don't mind the Man or Astroman? ending. More instrumental rock please. One swell mix, and excellent CD as cover art hand lettering.
I agree with everyone here: this is a summer tour de force! My fave song is Breaking the Chains of Love. So groovy.
As for the conclusion, at FIRST, I agreed w/Tim: go with The Heavy and leave it all on the floor! But THEN, I started thinking that having that cooling-off track afterwards is great, and kind of Shakespearean in its denouement way. Fab mix, dear—can't wait to get you back here again SOON. XOK
Been busy & just got this mix & ... this is what 3mpmp is all about -- catchy, themed (garage/r&b, in this case), upbeat. Inspired a mini-dance party at my house (not on youtube, thank God). And is it possible that this is the first Time of the Season in a decade of songs? Thanks for sharing, Alexandra.
I forgot to mention: This is another bit of cover art that I absolutely luv.
Sorry I haven't commented on this mix before --I was busy having parties to it!!!
Alix you have struck so many chords. Like you (and I'm sure many of us here), I can thoroughly enjoy current acts embracing vintage sounds (hence my excitement with, say, the Heavy or Caesars)... but it is some of the supercool real vintage that you've dug up that really got me. Alan Hawkshaw for Chrissakes! Hadn't heard in ages. You've made a mod man cry. Thanks a lot and congratz on such a good taste!!! Now I gotta go talc my hardwood.
PS: So sad about Amy. RIP.
And I agree with ST: nice art!
This mix is fantastic! Every song makes me happy.
Loved Hotel Easy and the rest of the mix. It transported me back to a previous life passion of thrift store hunting, rolling down the road in my 64" Valiant, PBR, and summer time in Sac Town!
I feel like I could make my 3mpm minimum comment quota just on this mix alone. It's been a long time since I looped one mix *this* many times! I! Love! It!
Lots of artists that I've never heard of -and I like them. This is a fun mix!
Let's just say that as Alex's longtime friend/officemate, this swingin' fun mix is no surprise. We both fretted about our mixes over the months but, hey, all that worrying was worth it! Unfortch, we're no longer sharing an office, but it's nice to have a blend of retro tunes to remind me of the good ole days.
I love the Nino and April- my fave being "All Strung Out" and "Boys Town" but their stuff is hard to find! I got a letter from his people after I put a song called "Hey Nino Tempo" on my first CD.
The Fitz track is a real hit, it jumped out as something like crack, kinda special and kept needing one more hit of it.
Was it my headphones or was that the most organ-lean mix of Time of the Season! I believe we're only hearing one side of the stereo mix. How? Why?
good mix
Hey, Me I'm Riding is one of my favorite Hazelwood tunes, ever. Other highlights: Pipettes, Fitz, and Hotel Easy. Great mix, thanks!
Post a Comment