DateJuly 27, 2011
Miracler
Laura Compton
Location
San Francisco
When last we heard from Ms. Compton,
She was delighting our fashion-loving ears with her April 2011 Bonus Mix, Try Me On, I'm Very You. An audience fave, it inspired comments such as, "Can one 'strut' whilst ironing? One can, and I did. Love this mix, love the theme. This week I'll be strutting whilst cleaning out my closet," "Really rollicking—a true pleasure through and through," "I'm not a Zooey guy. Well, that's a lie—every guy kinda is, right? It kinda bugs me that she sings in every one of her movies, but this song fills me with forgiveness. Thanks," "That Amanda Blank has wormed its way into the depths of my unconscious, through the glutes, natch! Thanks for such a peppy mix!", "Count me first in line if you ever need someone to carry your bags for Fashion Week," "Thanks for the reminder that before she was a train wreck, Courtney Love was in a darn good band," "Dahlink, this is loads of crazy fu stuff. I volunteer to be your Birkin Lacky next year!" and "I am more beautiful when I listen to this." If Fashion Week was Laura's muse, she was ours that week.
Ms. Compton also brought us past mixes such as the moody late-2009 holiday crowd-pleaser Blue December, and the decidedly more upbeat I'm In Love with That Song from the summer of '09.
What does today bring us? Liner notes, in Laura's words:
Here's my take on a summer mix: songs with a lazy, hazy, moody, sticky, melancholia or mood-enhancing qualities. Even though the Bay Area summer won't emerge fully till September, I like to take full advantage of each 80-degree-plus day that comes my way until then, even if it means getting out of the city to find them.
Lost in the Sun -- Ivy. A new single at long last from the pop perfectionists.
Breeze -- Lush. Why can't they hit the reunion trail?
1,000 Years -- Corin Tucker Band. I've been wanting to work in some songs from this solo effort from former Sleater-Kinney frontwoman Corin Tucker ever since it came out last year. Even though she has said the song is about missing her husband when he's away on work, I like to think that the lyrics "With each song, I get closer/With each note, I return" also refer to making music again after an absence of several years.
Paris Train -- Beth Orton. Love the lush, epic scope of this song.
The Long Goodbye -- Forget Adele; what about A Girl Called Eddy? OK, so Erin Moran is actually from New Jersey, but now lives in England. Unfortunately all we've got is this 2004 record that Richard Hawley helped out on. But San Franciscans continue to weigh in on her MySpace (!) page, begging for more.
Got to be Real -- Cheryl Lynn. An instant mood booster, and I love the way they used it in the "Sex and the City" episode in which Carrie modeled.
1,000 Years -- Corin Tucker Band. I've been wanting to work in some songs from this solo effort from former Sleater-Kinney frontwoman Corin Tucker ever since it came out last year. Even though she has said the song is about missing her husband when he's away on work, I like to think that the lyrics "With each song, I get closer/With each note, I return" also refer to making music again after an absence of several years.
All the Photos -- The Sea and Cake. Just pure loveliness that puts me in a celebratory, summer frame of mind all year around.
Indian Summer -- Dean & Britta. Luna also covered Beat Happening's "Indian Summer," which is a tribute to bygone landmarks in Olympia, but I found I didn't have either version to include, and got hooked on this one in the mean time.
Pumped Up Kicks -- Foster the People. Favorite single of the summer, hands-down. First heard it on KFOG and was hooked. They'll be playing Outside Lands on Aug. 12.
Paris Train -- Beth Orton. Love the lush, epic scope of this song.
The Long Goodbye -- Forget Adele; what about A Girl Called Eddy? OK, so Erin Moran is actually from New Jersey, but now lives in England. Unfortunately all we've got is this 2004 record that Richard Hawley helped out on. But San Franciscans continue to weigh in on her MySpace (!) page, begging for more.
Tennessee Sucks -- Ryan Adams. One of Adams' place-based odes ("Dear Chicago," "My Blue Manhattan"). I've never been to Tennessee, yet I feel like I'm there while listening to this song
Chuck E's In Love -- Rickie Lee Jones. Trivia: RLJ was a student of my dad's at North Thurston High School in Lacey, Wash. He remembers her as kind of a stoner and prone to absences in English class, but passionate about Drama.
Brand New Sun -- Jason Lytle. It was a toss-up between this song and "Summer ... It's Gone."
Mix is up. Listen and comment. And then comment on others. Cuz that's the deal. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page.
Until next week,
XOK
17 comments:
'Pumped up kicks' is definitely the summer jam this year. FTP is also playing Lollapalooza at a 3:00 show on a small stage obviously booked way before they hit. I fully intend to get trampled. But I kinda think it'll be worth it.
Nice mix. I worry for what Mandy Moore has done to Ryan Adams. Isn't he usually on his 3rd or 4th album of the year by now?
-- kellen
Hi, Kellen -- Yes, I was thinking the same thing about Ryan Adams. But I think he's getting ready to put out some new material soon.
As usual, your mix is one of my favorite so far. thanks laura!
Beth Orton and Rickie Lee -- forever favorites. Foster The People are/is new to me. Can't help thinking of Peter, Bjorn & John "Young Folks" with that happy whistling action. Also like that Jason Lytle song muchly. That sleezy synth is a great counterpoint to his beautiful singing. Come to think of it, some of Broken Bell's flavor may have been inspired by Grandaddy. "Got To Be Real" is so... REAL! Thanks for the summery mix, Laura.
Three days in a row of nice weather in San Francisco and suddenly everyone's at the beach instead of commenting on fantastic mixes. Oh well...
I think it's cute that you like Ivy, Laura. I do too, but somehow that's less cute. I dig that Corin Tucker Band song, but then we're both Sleater-Kinney fans too, aren't we? Agree with Kellen that "Pumped Up Kicks" is everywhere—so it's fitting that it finds a place here at the Proj. Nice outro with Jason Lytle—a sweet song. I always enjoyed Grandaddy, but this track has a less shambly sound. I find it pleasing to my ears. Thank you, darlin'!
OK, a little late to the game. You speak my pop language.
Some Sea and Cake I love, some bores me. This is fucking perfect. Holy moly.
I love seeing the Jason Lytle — I thought I was the only one who owned this record. Grandaddy remains at the core of my canon.
Rickie Lee: Well, what can one say? Sounds great, again, in this context.
Dean & Britta is new to me. And I like! A lot!
That Pumped Up Kicks song is my favorite radio song. And now here it is!
And Corin Tucker — always had a soft spot for Sleater-Kinney.
Thanks for all of it and more.
I know, I am getting predictable with the Ivy. But this was a brand-new song! Glad you all enjoyed, and good to be among fellow Rickie Lee Jones/Grandaddy/S-K fans!
I was so pleased to see Lush in this mix. What a great song.
I think I can pretty much say "I love a Laura Compton playlist." There's not a favorite for me among these favorites.
Great set, great soundtrack for... for what? I was going to say "summer", but at the beginning of August, the air here smells a certain way in the morning, and that, and the midday combination of intense sun and cooling air still trigger an impulse in the junior-high me inside the present me to go back to school. So it's a great soundtrack for these feeling-back-to-school weekends. Lots and lots of plays.
Thanks for the easy-on-the-ears summer mix. Stand outs: Corin Tucker, Beth Orton, Jason Lytle, and the Dean and Britta title track. Despite his sometimes nasal-ish voice, Dean has got to be one of my favorite songster/guitarists.
Lush was more distinctive than I thought. I recognized that song as theirs within 1 second of listening. Also, it was good to hear what Corin Tucker has been up to. Nice, eclectic mix.
So, I first heard Pumped Up Kicks at my local grocery store, of all places. Shazam filled me in on the deets and I went home and bought it right away. Too bad I didn't know it was gonna land on the prodge, or I would've saved myself a cool $1.29.
Thanks, Laura, for including some new tunes from old faves, like Ivy and Beth Orton. Now all I need is some above 60-degree weather.
here's video of foster the people at lollapalooza. it was every bit as crammed as i thought it was gonna be. and they didn't sound good at all. the singer's voice was supermodel thin and frequently off-key. but with that many people jumping up and down as if they were listening to the clash in their heyday, it didn't even matter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD71xsNMNzk
-- kellen
Ivy, Lush, Cheryl Lynn. What an opening trio of salvoes!
Thanks for a lovely mix --and for the RLJ trivia :)
BTW --A Girl Called Eddy. Right on.
Great mix, the last five songs especially. Love the Lush.
This mix has been on heavy rotation the past few days (and while I was late to the Pumped Up Kicks Summer Party, I can't get that damn song outta my mind.....so good).
Awesome mix Laura...so much happy goodness!
Post a Comment