DateNovember 19, 2011
Miracler
Jeanne-Marie Greiner
Location
Chicago
Worth the wait
Hey Miraclers, Sorry—I wasn't trying to stretch out the mystery leading up to the LAST MIX OF SEASON 4. Just got buried by travel & work the past week. But perhaps that has further whetted your miracle-loving whistle for our LAST MIX OF SEASON 4, created by Your Hostess' oldest (well, longest-having) friend on planet earth as well as Birthday Girl, JMG.
You'll remember her last tour de force, Hayseeds Go Back to the Country in May '11 about which you said, "Great mix—loving it," "A twisty and turn-y road trip!" "This *is* a trippy drive in the country. I'm really enjoying it!," "To me this was less of a drive through the country than finding a party with a dream DJ in a barn on a summer eve," "I love the whole thing," "Great mix, groovy contrasts," and on and on.
Before that, we were treated to Back to School Compositions in Sept. '09, as well as Have Yourself a Hi-Fi Christmas in Dec. '08 and Guilty Pleasures—A 3MPM Road Trip Mix in Aug. '08, mixes which brought out "Y! FY!" cursing from one Miracler as well as "All in all, each track more inspiring than the next. And somehow it all supersedes nostalgia to sound fresh—most welcome indeed," "Delicious," "Just the right mix of familiar tunes & unknown treasures—sweet!," "Another aural tour de force—you've captured the soul of the mixtape here, with its jumble of beloved hits, obscure introductions, and toony palate cleansers. Been listening to it all week," "You've painted a vivid but nuanced picture of those days," and "Aural time machine—hats off!"
As you may have noticed during the course of the Prodge, Ms. JMG likes to shape her 3MPM mixes around the date/season of its release, and has done that for us today. Witness: the perfect compilation to pour a glass of (insert favorite beverage here) and stay inside on a crisp autumn eve. Enjoy our LAST MIX OF SEASON 4! It's been a marvelous 55-mix run. Rest up for Season 5, starting in January. XOXOXOXO K
Liner Notes from JMG: Twilight Savings Time
This was the best version I have ever heard of this song. Crazy Modern Sound.
Had to go to Paris somehow to get really into Hoagy, how could that be? Every fall I break this out.
Ok, everyone knows this one, still, it was the first jazz song I ever got into, and was a real bridge for me and my Dad. Again, this version swings out like nobody's business – listen for a badder then bad Gene Krupa.
Bobby Timmons was not long for this earth but ranks up there for me with my favorite jazz pianists
For the longest time I thought people called him “the velvet Frog”. Sorry Mel.
Formindable if lesser known song, by one of the giants.
Ok, if you were not interested in this mix, well that's your choice, but if you deny the magnitude of this song … we are done talking.
some comments commented here.
15 comments:
Coltrane and Ellington doing "In a Sentimental Mood" could easily be a Desert Island Song. Just that one song, on repeat play forever, never wanting for another. Duke's piano is so elegant and balanced. Just enough discord bookending lush, round chords. Funny that Ellington's fame comes more from composition and arrangement than that singular piano voice. Coltrane playing ballads has always been my favorite Coltrane. Great Mel Tormé choice. (Organ!) "Brother Can You Spare a Dime?" is awfully timely. Just make it a buck, if you can. A bag of peanut M&Ms can be a substitute for actual food, in a pinch. Thanks for this perfectly stardusted jazz mix, Jeanne-Marie.
Har! For most of my life I, too, thought Mel Tormé was "The Velvet FROG." He does looks like one, after all. Bulgy eyes and no neck.
Extra funny that you learned the magic of Hoagie so far from home, since he grew up in Bloomington, IN. I love him and love seeing him here. Dave Tibbs included him in Season 1, but I don't think he's appeared in the Prodge since.
Lovely mix. Our weekend soundtrack so far, and no doubt many rainy autumn/winter eves to come.
XOK
Love the mix, Jeanne-Marie. Thank you. I spent a good part of last year trying to convince our hostess that Mel Tormé was worth listening to, but sadly, my entreaties fell on deaf ears. (Odd that, considering her all-embracing love of music.)
And Skylark — a beautiful song with music by Hoagy, but you ought to give the great Billy Eckstine credit for singing this version.
And speaking of great, man do I adore Bobby Timmons. And "This Here" is my (and probably the world's) favorite song by him. I gotta force myself to sit down and learn to play it.
Oh, and more Yusef Lateef, please...
Indeed-- good to see Yusef in the list. I do like that version of 'Dish Here' very much- new to me. 'Stardust' was recommended to me years back by one of my favorite musicians as one of the best pieces ever, and he wasn't wrong.
Okay, I'm drunk. But seriously‚ Billy Eckstine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP-kcSX6r38&feature=fvwrel
Doug, you are right by giving Billy Eckstine his dues! Quite honestly, I did not know how to find out the singer... and I really tried to get this very version of this song. My dear Brother in law, Marc Barnett, sent me a cassette dupe of this Hoagy collection when I was in Paris and the real info I never had. It was so haunting and romantic and fit that time in my life in a way that was unbelievably apropos! So thank you for giving a man his due credit!
And Tim - I actually feel kinda guilty about that thing with Mel, for the reasons you stated!
And Fritz - I didn't know, but I thought you might dig Yusef!
Glad you and Stephen liked it KSN!!!
Wow! This is a great mix. That version of Caravan is absolutely amazing. And what a great song by Yusef Lateef.
I was listening to this Sunday morning and it made me a bit melancholic and transported me to the days where I would buy 15 cent records at thrift shops based on their (awesome) cover art and play them over and over again - some were a surprise, some were mind blowing, and some just upset my neighbors if played too loud!. Great mix!
A suitable mix for this day as well. The Coltrane sound stood out amongst many of the great tracks.
I suddenly feel like I'm writing a yelp review. Did I say this mix is yummy? I definitely need to also say we're definately coming back here for yummy tacos!!! (:
I finally got around to listening to this mix & *really* enjoyed it. It had that consistent-theme-but-not-too-samey thing I like. And some really standout tracks: 'Caravan' was surprisingly Carl Stallingish, 'Comin' Home Baby' is now my favorite Mel Torme song (& not on Pandora -- booh!), & 'Sing, Sing, Sing' was the first extended drum solo ever released commercially (according to Wikipedia, so it must be true!).
Thanks Jeanne-Marie, it was great way to end Season 4.
~ Sam
Excellent season closer. Some great tracks here. Nina Simone, Bobby Timmons, Mel Tormé (funny that a whole generation's introduction to Mel was as one object of obsession for the judge in 'Night Court'). Crazy-awesomest arrangement of 'Caravan' I've ever heard. Wow. Filling the house repeatedly. Thanks!
I am speechless. I've been listening to this mix again and again over the next couple of days and I'm in total awe, Jeanne-Marie! Thank you so much. Love it love it love it. You even got me to sit through a whole song by Eartha Kitt, no little feat in itself!
The jazz fan in me is rubbing hands, while the kid in me is just finger snappin', dancing away. Are you a mod, Ms. Greiner? What club you DJ at?
That was meant to be "over the last couple of days" obviously. But I'll prolly keep on playing this over the next couple of days as well :)
Post a Comment