May 9, 2012
Miracler
Chris von Sneidern
Location
San Francisco
CvS! It's been AGES.
I know! Far too long. Especially when you remember how much you loved the last one, in Dec. '10, Folk Songs from the Old Kit Bag. That mix is a perfect example of why I'm still doing The Prodge. Imagine not having been introduced to "Old Bourbon," or "All I Need Is You"! My life would be measurably smaller, and I'm not exaggerating.
And y'all responded similarly, with, 'I listened to this sublime mix from start to finish, and thought of people who I would definitely be sharing it with. A loop indeed,' 'This mix hangs so well together, it feels like a soundtrack. Maybe to rainy winter? Love the first song. From there, each song drips gorgeously into the next, all the way through to the last,' 'This is such a great mix, distractingly lovely,' 'Good stuff Chris. Makes me feel like putting together a wood working shop, so I could blast this mix as I made a rocking horse. Or something,' 'Relaxing mix of songs, none of which I had. After the Revolution, brothers & sisters, we will play our campfire sitars under the stars,' 'Listened to this mix while working all night on a project. Hypnotic,' 'A nice, mellow, relaxing, slightly twisted mix. Well done!,' 'Years ago, I'd see Duncan Browne albums in the cutout bin. I was always curious about his music. Thanks to your mix, I'm a fan,' 'I really like this mix, I play it and am not sure which decade is bleeding into which, the soulful side of folk expressed, the JWH quite fine and present—Thanks,' 'Timeless might be over used, but here I will use it. Timeless,' 'This one's a beauty, Chris. Almost makes me wish it wasn't so sunny outside this week. The Strawbs song alone sent me down an internet rathole for about 3 hours. Thanks, pal,' 'This mix is really nice. It just washes over the soul and erases the jitters of a long day,' 'As always, I love your mixes. Keep them coming!,' and so on/forth.
Prior to that mix, CvS gave us the rich/moody song cycle I'd Rather Feel Normal Than Happy 2008 in Nov. '08. Now join me in the present, where we've been treated to an early summer confection that after the above comments could only be described as a change of pace. Let's look in.
Liner Notes by CvS:
BBAF! Benny, Björn, Agnetha & Frida!
Welcome back to ABBA. You’ve been gone for a while. Here is
a refresher- Benny Andersson is the taller, jollier one who pretty much always
had a beard of some sort, and apparently, a drinking problem. Björn Ulvaeus is
the little guy, maybe Sweden’s answer to Beach Boys’ Al Jardine, perhaps even
shorter! Agnetha Fältskog is the blonde, and it’s true, she was married to
Björn; she’s visibly upset while he reads a comic book, or whatever, on the
Greatest Hits LP. Benny was married to the other one, Frida; they’re the ones
kissing. Either way, they’re all long divorced, like Fleetwood Mac! Frida’s had
a few hairstyles and colors, but my favorite was the brown/black with the white
silky dress. Her name is Anni-Frid Lyngstad, so I guess the ABBA name is
actually very clever, indeed. If
you visit Specchio on Mission St. in SF, you’ll see one ABBA member painted on
each of the four restroom doors, and go check that out soon, ‘cos I think that
restaurant is not long for this world.
The official logo, using the bold version of the News Gothic
typeface, was designed by Rune Söderqvist. Like superstar groups, they had a
logo that ended up on everything associated with them after the fact. I imagine
the roadies went nutty, painting that backwards B thing on every road case and
whatnot, like you do…when you’re thirteen.
In compiling this, I recently listened to all of their nine
studio albums. I got about ¾ of the way through, lastly laboring through The
Visitors and Super Trouper, but refusing to include any of that. Maybe it’s my
age, but I don’t like synth pads and slick pianos that say “young republicans”
to me. I may change.
So, selected for you is a mix of some deep cuts that I just
felt needed another listen, and some of my favorites of their hits, but in
other languages. You may have noticed, but some people, especially Europeans,
just love to show off their ability to speak anything other than English! It’s
pretty cute, especially in that Swedish accent, which makes even the most
virile of men sound a bit fey.
I won’t give you a track-by-track account. However, I must
say that “Crazy World” is pretty bizarre (so many questions I have!) and that
trilogy of “Pick a Bale of Cotton…” is somewhere between awesome and shameful.
It does bring to mind those ‘70s variety shows where nothing was outstanding,
especially on the Christmas specials.
“Fernando” sung in Spanish makes it even better, and that version was
actually the inspiration for this whole comp.
After all my irreverent comments, I must state that this is
not a guilty pleasure, nor some smirking blast of irony. ABBA is totally
fantastic- their songs, singing, and their very expensive-sounding production.
I believe Polar studio might have been one of the best of its day. You could burn yourself out on this
fluff and stuff; it’s got a lot of sugar on top.
PS never mind the outfits.
Mix is UP. NEW-ish password is in your email.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.

20 comments:
You had some guts here, CVS, but I thank you, as I am pretty sure you have the unique ear to gather all these lesser known Abba songs, which warranted our attention.
Right?
And I do agree that theirs was some of the best pop of the day, but the outfits were what propelled them into super stardom!
Thanks for the mix!
As an unrepentant, sincere ABBA lover (and owner of ABBA Gold and nothing else by the band) I thank you from the bottom of my 4-part harmony-loving heart.
(But what up with the janky ending to Fernando?)
Ditto what Doug said.
This is going on as soon as I get home.
Many thanks!
Crap, is Fernando still acting up at the end? I ripped that track three times! Oy, maybe I'll try again.
1. holy crap
2. wow. and i thought Pepe was bringin the cojones.
3. what is it about folks singin their songs in a different language that is so insanely *charming*?
4. this really makes me want to dance in line formation. with jazz hands.
5. which is a most excellent 'want'. I'm at work and there are no customers right now... maybe i'll do my own dance routine!
6. tycvs, this is brilliant. (like sequins)
(kelly, then end of 'reina' is tripping on my mix, but my computron is on it's last legs, so I'm not sure if it's just me)
Hey Miraclers,
Today's disk was a bit problematic to rip for whatever reason (stoopid computers), and I've since learned that a couple tracks, Dancing Queen (Track 2) and Fernando (Track 6) were downloading jankily for some. If you're having the same experience, you can replace those tracks or the whole mix now. I've replaced the mix and also put the tracks up separately in our usual place.
Enjoy (in 5 languages),
XOK
I must start quoting Christina --wow indeed, ¡¡con dos cojones!! Didn't see this one coming, boldness abounds on these shores! Good; we like that.
I am not of the "ABBA Gold" variety, but of the "Greatest Hits" type, which means BTW, I'm missing the whole Vol.2 (which I need: gems like 'Take a Chance...' or 'Gimme...' I must have!).
I guess a few of these could have easily been included as bonus tracks on my mix last week --there's hooks and cheese aplenty here, and a lot of that special kind of guilt. But the most shocking thing was to reconnect to those Spanish lyrics which I hadn't heard since I was a kid (up to well into the '80s, a lot of the bigger names re-recorded their chart hits with crazy Spanish lyrics and funny accents). It was also quite a pleasure to discover the odd jewel I didn't know, like 'Tiger'. Awesome!
Thanks CvS!!! Another great mix, just as we expected from the likes of you.
I just pressed play on this mix and I am immediately struck by the first little pop gem, Santa Rosa, which could easily fit on any Monkee's record without raising an eyebrow.
Score! I must admit I have always loved ABBA but for some inexplicable reason did not own ANYTHING, so I am beside myself with joy. No, really. Joy.
I am seriously falling for Suzy-Hang-Around.
This mix is just plain awesome. I am an unapologetic fan of ABBA and I don't care who knows it. Thanks for the sugary pop indulgence.
Seriously, why isn't Mamma Mia in Italian?
Definitely caused some middle school flashbacks for me and mrs. fritz this morning.
Suzy-Hang-Around is the clear winner for me, and the Pick a Bale medley is completely demented (in a way that pleases me).
Oh HECK YEAH. Dancing Queen was the very first 45 single I owned, so this had me grinning (in four languages). It's the first mix that i felt horribly underdressed for, while listening....and for that I thank you. Now I'm off to find a sequin beret and silk gaucho pants.
I've decided to re-record all my own songs in Swedish.
Weirdly, seemingly impossibly, I COMPLETELY missed out on ABBA while all the golden-glittery smooveness was rolling over the world.
In 1980 a Dutch band that I liked for a year, Guppo Sportivo, name-checked ABBA in a song. I was puzzled by who this "ABBA" was. Back then I never watched TV, and I never listened to commercial radio.
It wasn't until seeing Muriel's Wedding, in the early 90s, that I connected music to the name. Milling about in front of the Kabuki Theater, apré flick, I offered an observation to my friends, "So that's ABBA? Not bad." The blank stares are what makes the memory stick.
Great mix! Love ABBA en español the best-est. "Fernando" has Andean panpipe action. Flute-y, y'all. Thanks, Chris.
With my limited knowledge of ABBA, guess I never really knew that the two guys in the group sang lead. I'm with Van, Pepe and Fritz - Santa Rosa and Suzy-Hang-Around are great cuts with no traces at all of whatever it is about ABBA that instinctively brings about excuses, apologies and eye-rolling. Thanks for the deep dive, CVS!
I've heard some weird shit in my days, but ABBA performing "Pick A Bale Of Cotton" is up there with the weirdest. Also, ditto on "Suzy" - that's the goods right there!
Brilliant! Never knew my soft spot for ABBA was so big. Brings back memories of learning disco moves in my bachelor dad's living room and his friend's Fernando (in Spanish) singing macaw.
'Suzy Hang-Around' is a kinda harsh song.
Post a Comment