Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pulsations

Date
May 16, 2012


Miracler
Sam Koritz


Location
Albany, CA


Samstuff
In August '11, Sam made us The 3 R's—Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I never picked up what the title was in reference to, but that might be because I was too deep in the mix to think about anything. So were lots of you—his mix picked up a whopping 26 comments, among them, 'Sam Sam Sam...I haven't even listened yet (downloading) but SWINGY, one of my all-time fave mellow-but-hip mixes, is actually playing on my hi-fi right now! This bodes well,' 'Thanks for the mix, Sam. Especially all the choice Jamaican stuff (Melodica!),' 'Nice picks across the board on the JA stuff. That Mittoo album is a gas for sure!,' 'Another stellar mix, Sam. Jackie Mittoo makes me want to go watch Car Wash a dozen times for some reason,' 'Really lovin' this mix, Sam. Thanks. And that Take Five cover is just the right combination of odd and euphonious,' 'Wow, Sam, fantastic. Excellently curated, much appreciated,' 'Sam, your mix is a killer—interesting, entertaining, formative, and fun!', 'Sam, this is some great riddim. Nice work,' 'Yes! More instrumentals please, dub or otherwise. Such a finely-crafted and tightly-focused mix. I've heard great stuff from all the Miraclers, but this has to be one of my favorites,' 'OMG, WTF, OMG, and then wash, rinse, and repeat. The Shins break it up a little, but it is like listening to one long likable song. Genius.' Genius indeed, Mr. Koritz.


And that's just THAT mix. Same guy brought us Swingy back in Oct. '09, and before that, the amazing 2008 soundtrack, Long Shot Dreams To Remember, both totally fabulous and totally varied mixes.


Now today, Sam brings us something I'd call a fantastically enjoyable cross between all this stuff. But let's hear how he describes it.  


Samstatement

Mad Professor! 

Mark Ronson heard the Junior Marvin in the falsetto and produced accordingly. I found a dj set list online that went from Police & Thieves to this Animal, so it's not just me. 

Memories fade like looking through a fogged mirror. 

Tribulations sounds like a track off of the Trainspotting soundtrack. Does that make it retrofuturistic? 

Track List
1. Satellite (Mixed by Mad Professor & Joe Ariwa) by The Kills
2. Animal (Mark Ronson Extended Remix) by Miike Snow
3. Feeling All Blue (Nowhere to Run Remix) by Stegosaurus Rex
4. Kids (Soulwax Remix) by MGMT
5. Back In Your Head (Tiesto Remix) by Tegan and Sara
6. Happy Up Here (Marching Band Version) by Röyksopp
7. Beat and the Pulse (Still Going Remix) by Austra
8. Tribulations (Tiga's Out of the Trance Closet Mix) by LCD Soundsystem
9. Satellite Dub (Mixed by Mad Professor & Joe Ariwa) by The Kills


Mix is UP. NEW-ish password is in your email.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

17 comments:

Wes said...

This is a really interesting mix. I'm particularly taken with the Miike Snow cut and both Kills songs. Mad Professor is amazing. Listening to those cuts made me go back and find my copy of No Protection. Nicely done.

Doug said...

Love love love it, Sam. A great mix—thank you. Might have to dig out my Massive Attack, too.

fritz said...

All new stuff for me, and quite enjoyable too. Although I did occasionally feel like Philip Seymour Hoffman in '25th Hour.'

Sterling Bromide said...

Diggin' it Mr. Koritz.
I'm all in favor of remixes that actually reinterpret rather than simply adding a disco beat, and this mix takes a fresh look at some great originals. Love The Kills as viewed by Mad Professor, The Soulwax treatment of MGMT, and the super dub of Animal. Thanks mon!

Tim Carroll said...

Sir Remixalot! Loads to groove on. Love the dubby vibes the flight takes off and lands with. Miike Snow awareness came to me care of 3MPMP. Three years back? MGMT/Soulwax: nice remix of a favorite tune. Continued satisfaction. The "Happy Up Here" marching band version of Parliament's "Do That Stuff" is a hoot. Austra's "Beat The Pulse" isn't the kind of thing I usually listen to (being all old and shit) but it's way hypnotic. Tension building, building, building... then the soulful wailing kicks in. No doubt best savored while sweating it out, stoned solid. It sure was a drag to read that LCD Soundsystem is among of the 20 Worst Bands Ever. Now I have to stop liking 'em.

Sam K. said...

Wes, I agree, those are the most interesting cuts -- good songs that were creatively re-edited, almost like a cover version, yet using original tracks.

---

Doug, thanks! I was sorry to miss Massive Attack w/ Thievery Corporation at the Greek last year. I woulda put (Thievery's) Stargazer on here but couldn't find a remix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJYssnTU4A&feature=related

---

Fritz, you've introduced me to a lot of good music so I'm glad you didn't have any of this. Netflix says I saw that 25th Hour movie but I don't remember it. Was PSH parking it on the dancefloor?

---

SB, thanks!, this was almost like a remixed follow-up to your mix.

---

Tim, I feel the same way about the Austra. It's sort-of "I Danced At the Twilight Zone in Alameda"/Goth for Life. Yes, MOVE YER BODY! The LCD Soundsystem song is kinda bad. But it's bad/good like pop is sometimes. And probably intentionally. One of these tracks -- I can't remember, Back in Your Head? -- has a nice rip-off of some Moroder Blondie tune, I also can't remember which. There's a lot of homaging going on. FWIW, dubstep Call Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YWnpzIIYI&feature=related

Kellen said...

I like all of this. Except the LCD Soundsystem track. Those songs are sacred and should never be touched by human hands. Except those belonging to James Murphy.

fritz said...

Not so much "parking it" as being his inimitable schlubby, uncool self while lusting after the impossibly hot Anna Paquin.

pepe verde said...

Totally caught unawares by those The Kills' bookends, man. I didn't see that one coming --when did they stop knocking vodka and chainsmoking cigarettes and started sipping beer and puffing spliff?

Then about the Tegan & Sara remix, did Tiësto steal that beat from Etienne de Crecy's "Fast Track"?

Really liked it Sam! And also enjoyed discovering that we share even more tastes than I knew. Are you deejaying at a club anytime soon? :)

Sam K. said...

Kellen, thanks! I will not again defile LCD, I expect.

---

Fritz, so he was parking it *near* the dancefloor? You're like me, I made a putative 3mpmp mix of classical music -- a lot of waltzes & a few marches. (Now *that's* *old* dance music!) Then I thought, as an experiment I'd check out the progeny of the music I used to like. Pandora's Independent Hits of 2011 station helped -- http://www.pandora.com/station/688392088318430592 .

---

Pepe, I'm loving the EdC synth-bongos. Eminently steal-worthy. Me DJing might be a bit Nick Hornby-esque. ;-)

Danny Lee said...

The Animal remix is a great cut. I'd never heard the original, so I went straight to YouTube. Ronson's take makes it a very different and way better tune. Tons of feel-flow in your remix mix. Thanks!

Sam K. said...

I guess this mix left the ladies speechless

;-)

Kelly Niland said...

Ha, just saw this and was seriously just about to comment here! For real.

I loved this mix, and have played it countless times already. It's infinitely listenable, and I agree with your comment that it feels like a relative to Sterling's mix. Like a half-brother.

Super fun, super-groovy mix, Sam. This message brought to you by a girl!

XOK

Mark Ulriksen said...

Great theme, great mix. Everything flows as it unwinds. Especially love Animal, Kidsi, Back in Your Head and Tribulations. It's a great mix to work to.

alix said...

Whoa! This was all kinds of cool, Sam. The Kills made me want to drink and smoke on the beach, MGMT made me dance (and the ending made my dog want to kill me....) and also really dug Tegan & Sara and the fun Royksopp marching band hootenanny. You never fail to surprise me. Nice one!

Sam K. said...

Thanks Kelly & Alix (& Mark), this song is for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7m9uzZwDAc

alix said...

hahaha.....love it!