June 6, 2012
Miracler
Todd Bonne
Location
NYC
Todd Bonne.
Known him 2012-1986 years. And you guys have known him for at least 3, since sampling this gut-wrenchingly-gorgeous gift from July '09 and then this showstopper from January '11.
What have you said about past Todd mixes? Stuff like...
"I really, really love this music. I almost feel... I don't know... sensitive?... when I listen to it. It even made me get out the Bill Fay CD I haven't played in 4 years, "I know our hostess doesn't like it when we start ranking mixes (we're all about inclusiveness here at the 3MPMP), but it's at the very tippy-top of my list," "I concur. A-lot to like & a nice consistent blank-space-in-the-production tone. Particularly like: Angels of Light, Lali Puna, Rodriguez, Black Angels & Dirtbombs. Hope that's not too many to particularly like," "A great mix for a summer night -also makes me want to get the whole Dan Auerbach album," "Am loving this mix! Karen Dalton AND Califone? Awesome...", "Great mix. Hats off to Roy Harper!", "Really wonderful. Thank you.""Great opening, great overall vibe, super fun mix. I just read something about both Honeybus and Ofege. Cool to hear them here. Also extra credit to you for what sounds like a labor-intensive effort "ripping" records for this mix," "I love that I don't know one name in this mix. And I love that there is this very particular sentiment that runs through it — things almost straightforward but not, a dream take on the world," "This is the perfect mix to accompany a dinner party!", "One word: Ofege. I must bow down to you, sir," "What a wonderful thing to find this mix in my inbox after getting home from 1/2 of a root canal. The pain is gone. The drugs are good.I think I'm in heaven. You're the best, TB!", "I haven't heard of most of these artists. Interesting, slightly psychedelic at times, quite good -I think this mix will sound better each time I play it," "This mix gets better with each listen. great for a punchy hangover rainy sunday afternoon naathin' to do," "I'm diggin' the decidedly Lo-Fi quality of this Mix," "Wow. I am totally loving this....and I have to confedd I have never heard of a single band/artist on this mix. Eep. Happy to have some great new discoveries, Sir Swirly," "Todd, "Under Skies" is a gorgeous track. Could have been recorded yesterday. The ultimate 3mpmp track. Everything straight to my Ipod. Thank you," "I was hiking yesterday, and put this mix on. Just as track #1 came on, I was standing at...yes, a fork in the trails. I went to the LEFT!"
So that was then. This is now: another TB mix in which iTunes is useless in auto-typing the artists for me. It's all, "Never heard of these guys. You're on your own here, sis." Moby Grape was my only help in figuring out which were track names and which were artists. I mean, Lee Marvin? We've had a Lee Remick track here in the past (and not by her), so you can understand my typing plight. Let's hope I got it right.
1. Lee Marvin. Wandering Star
2. Robert Forster. Demon Days
3. Wilcox Sullivan Wilcox. Dark Side Of The Road
4. Bob Desper. Time Is Almost Over
5. FJ. Mc Mahon. The Spirit Of The Golden Juice
6. Jackson C Frank. Carnival
7. David McWilliams. The Stranger
8. Cozy Powell. And Then There Was Skin
9. Nine Circles. Twinkling Stars
10. Odyssey. How Long Is Time
11. Maxine Sellers. Some KInd Of Fever
12. Moby Grape. I Am Not Willing
13. Smokey And His Sisters. Creators Of The Rain
Mix is UP. Same password is in your email.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
XOK

28 comments:
Really enjoying this mix Todd....and just like last year's mix, I haven't heard of a single sole. LOVE that!
Gotta say I liked the jangly cool beginning (especially Jackson C Frank....) and really liked Odyssey. And Smokey and his Sisters. OK, can't comment more. Need to listen to this AGAIN! And again.
Oh.... it's THAT Lee Marvin.
Cool.
And is it wrong that the word that keeps coming to mind as I listen to the mix is "groovy?"
Peace out, I'm diving back in.
Okay, I'm comin' back later with more comments, but a song from Paint Your Wagon? I like how you roll, Todd Bonne. And no, I am not gay.
The closest I ever got to teaching myself how to play an instrument was when I was around 10. I bought a beautifully simple Chinese-made harmonica for a dime and played "Wandering Star" till the cows came home. Only they never did come. Nor did I pursue other tunes, don't ask me why.
I find Robert Forster a truly fun, intriguing man. On a side note, I was extremely lucky to once meet his sparring partner, the great Grant McLennan. He wanted to swap t-shirts with me, but that's another story... He is sorely missed.
I am really enjoying this mix Todd. Many things I didn't know and a lot to thank for, the presence of Cozy Powell making me smile being but one of them. Blast from the (teen) past! And Odyssey: sweet. And thanks for Smokey and his Sister! Didn't know, looooved it.
Beautiful music man, I keep hitting 'play' over and over. I can't wait to listen to it under a tree this Summer.
This Robert Forster song is haunting me in the very best, best way.
i blush at half of these song titles. maybe it's just me.
great opening song and anything by robert forester is welcome.
great mix, todd.
oh, and that's my comment above.
stoopid compooter.
ok, let's try this again. i didn't listen to this in order, so the "opening song" i referred to is "and then there was skin" (i still blush).
mmkaayy?
Wow, this mix is fantastic! I'm particularly taken with the Robert Forster track, but each track is singularly fascinating. Thank you.
Another transportive, ethereal and evocative mix from Mr Bonne. The Robert Forster song has a Neil Young Harvest Moon quality that I'm loving, also really digging Jackson C. Frank, Nine Circles, and the dreamy ending tune Smokey and His Sisters. Good stuff. Many thanks!
Because some of us aren't bad ass enough to cheat the system: 'Anti-mix power'. You know who you are.
Hell is in Hello...classic. Snow can burn your eyes, but only people make you cry! This kind of talent crossover is much preferred to seeing Tom Cruise be a rockstar.
...this mix keeps its murky vibe throughout, that's a good thing.
Cozy Powell? WTF? Love it. Other standouts for me: FJ McMahon, Odyssey, Maxine Sellers (Those strings! Those horns! Those back-up singers!), and Smokey and His Sisters (That name!). Thank you very much, Todd.
Wandering Star was a bold move. 'Paint Your Wagon' was a must-see saturday afternoon movie in our household whenever it was on: as a result, it's one of those movies I like more than the critical consensus would deem reasonable.
Other films in this category:
The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!
Casino Royale
A Thousand Clowns
Great mix of stuff I've never heard a lick of before. Standouts include Forster, Wilcox, and Smokey. And yes, Cozy Powell, WTF!? Thoroughly enjoyed. Good road tripper.
It also just occurred to me that those Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeroes cats must have received an advance copy of this mix.
So I'm sitting at my desk, cruising my way through this mix, enjoying the manly vibe, and suddenly I'm thumping my foot at this track by someone whose name is completely unfamiliar to me. Who the hell is Cozy Powell?
Thanks, Todd Bonne, for helping me connect the dots in my far-from-complete hard-rock education. And for posting such a rockin' mix.
You had me with Paint Your Wagon. I think that album got played about 15,ooo times at my house in 1969. Is it still embarrassing if you were only eight years old at the time? Great mix; thanks. PS - I second all of Greg's B-movie nominations.
That humming chorus starting off the Lee Marvin number did it for me. A grand entrance. Dark Side of the Road also connected immediately. I love when a song does that. The five acoustic tracks at the beginning all are new to me and really flow together. Kind of like sitting in a cool little club where you're a few chairs away from the performer.
Really, really love this mix, burned it and I have been playing it in my truck, seems so appropriate. The Bob Desper tune got to me, sung with such simplicity. Very good. And the Odyssey bit is great too. The whole mix just shines with wry and twangy, and a good on ya for including a Robert Forster cut. And that is the most soulfull Moby Grape song I can ever remember....
A mix after my own heart. I really loved this one, feels like a soundtrack. Desper and Jackson Frank especially got me. THANKS!
Just got back from vacation... a bit late to the scene... and DAMN this is a sublimely satisfying and perfect mix. Lee Marvin! Cozy Powell! Robert Forster! Moby Grape! And a bunch of beautiful mysteries that I have to hear more from -- like Jackson C. Frank.
I listened to this mix over and over. Especially liked the Cozy Powell track. Thank you.
I've been listening to this mix quite a bit. Posted on the FB about my Forster discovery (cool!). Was listening at work the other day and a woman walked in and in 2 notes - srsly- said "Paint Your Wagon" ... it was a moment, and maybe you had to be there, but I loved it. This mix is getting its grooves worn, for sure.
I love this mix! Favorite new discoveries (as of now): Nine Circles and FJ. Mc Mahon. This is one of those comps that will definitely turn into a music buying spree. Thanks for leading me to new places!
I need a 12 step program for this mix. I am deep in some addictive behavior: cannot. stop. listening to it. I was (luckily) already hip to Jackson C Frank, but am deep into that Desper tune. And Cozy: fuck yes! \m/ DRUMMER DRUMMER!
Yep, it's a 3-commenter mix. I'm even afraid I'm might come back for more commenting. Worth every letter, and more. Thumbs Up Todd Bonne!
Love it just as much as Swirly Bird, which was one of my favorite mixes yet. Wilcox, Desper and Smokey all have that mesmerizing, almost spooky psyche folk sound that you dig up for us. Thanks!
Post a Comment