Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sam Koritz Influences

Date
April 10, 2013

Miracler

Sam Koritz

Location

Albany, CA

Welcome to The Prodge, 6.1

Let's try out this new fortnightly frequency (a la Season 1) and see how it feels. I apologize now to those who have late-year dates, as they will now be going in early 2014, but from the feedback I've gotten so far, most people are happy to have more time between mixes. So we'll try this for a while and see how it goes over. Now on to today's Miracler.

Today's Miracler

is Sam Koritz, a Miracling veteran with hits under his belt that include 2012's Pulsations, 2011's The 3 R's—Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, 2009's Swingy, as well as 2008's songs-to-elect-a-president-by, Long Shot Dreams To Remember. If there's a pattern to Sam's taste, I haven't found it yet. But today's mix, based on our Season 5 Social Challenge, might well shed some light. And if that don't, maybe his reading list here will.

What you said about Sam's last mix, Pulsations:

Love love love it, Sam. A great mix—thank you. Might have to dig out my Massive Attack, too.      Great theme, great mix. Everything flows as it unwinds. Especially love Animal, Kidsi, Back in Your Head and Tribulations. It's a great mix to work to.      All new stuff for me, and quite enjoyable too. Although I did occasionally feel like Philip Seymour Hoffman in '25th Hour.'      This is a really interesting mix. I'm particularly taken with the Miike Snow cut and both Kills songs. Mad Professor is amazing. Listening to those cuts made me go back and find my copy of No Protection. Nicely done.      Diggin' it Mr. Koritz. I'm all in favor of remixes that actually reinterpret rather than simply adding a disco beat, and this mix takes a fresh look at some great originals. Love The Kills as viewed by Mad Professor, The Soulwax treatment of MGMT, and the super dub of Animal. Thanks mon!      Sir Remixalot! Loads to groove on. Love the dubby vibes the flight takes off and lands with. Miike Snow awareness came to me care of 3MPMP.MGMT/Soulwax: nice remix of a favorite tune. Continued satisfaction. The "Happy Up Here" marching band version of Parliament's "Do That Stuff" is a hoot.       I like all of this. Except the LCD Soundsystem track. Those songs are sacred and should never be touched by human hands. Except those belonging to James Murphy.      Totally caught unawares by those The Kills' bookends, man. I didn't see that one coming --when did they stop knocking vodka and chainsmoking cigarettes and started sipping beer and puffing spliff?      The Animal remix is a great cut. I'd never heard the original, so I went straight to YouTube. Ronson's take makes it a very different and way better tune. Tons of feel-flow in your remix mix. Thanks!      I loved this mix, and have played it countless times already. It's infinitely listenable, and I agree with your comment that it feels like a relative to Sterling's mix. Like a half-brother. Super fun, super-groovy mix, Sam. This message brought to you by a girl!      Whoa! This was all kinds of cool, Sam. The Kills made me want to drink and smoke on the beach, MGMT made me dance (and the ending made my dog want to kill me....) and also really dug Tegan & Sara and the fun Royksopp marching band hootenanny. You never fail to surprise me. Nice one!

What Sam says about today's mix:


We made influences mixes a while back & Kelly waived the no-repeat-cuts-from-previous-mixes rule, which is why there are several repeats here. Though this is my influences mix, I have to admit that most of these songs aren’t really the ones that most influenced me because when I listen to a song a lot I stop enjoying it; I was influenced by music most when I was in my late teens & early 20s, & my tastes have changed since then; and a lot of what I enjoyed was the shock of novelty, which by now has worn off.


“I Threw It All Away,” Bob Dylan
I could just as easily have included Yo La Tengo’s version from 1989’s President Yo La Tengo album. I saw YLT play with Barbara Manning in the back of the Albion circa 1990. When I was young I believed in seeing bands in small places for cheap, so I didn’t see Bob Dylan until the 2000s. Still, there’s no ignoring this musical giant. On Dylan’s 9th album, 1969’s Nashville Skyline he tried out a Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) type voice. Johnny Cash sang & Charlie Daniels played on this album, which was innovative at that time, when Country wasn’t cool.
Further reading: Chronicles by Bob Dylan



“The Drum,” Bongwater
I actually like Bongwater’s (1989) version of this song as much as Slapp Happy’s (1974) original. Bongwater’s Kramer claimed to like a recording I sent him but he may just have been fishing for engineering work.
Further reading: Black Postcards by Dean Wareham



“The Rising Moon,” The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem
This is a (live 1962) song from my childhood from my parents’ small record collection. Coincidentally, “Rising Moon” and the other childhood song I’ve included, “Skye Boat Song,” have similar histories. Both were first published in the 19th Century, were based on earlier tunes, and are about 18th Century Celtic battles against the English.

“Do They Owe Us a Living?” Crass
This song appeared on Crass’s first record, Feeding of the 5000. The band was forced to delete a cut from that album after workers in an Irish pressing plant objected to its anti-religious lyrics. (Though they were philosophical anarchists, Crass considered this particular direct action by the downtrodden as a violation of their right to free speech.)
This is a great example of inspired DIY amateurishness. The rhythm guitar was tuned (DADGAD, I’d guess) so that it played a chord when strummed open & then the guitarist would just move that chord around.
Further reading: The Story of Crass by George Berger, Shibboleth by Penny Rimbaud, The Day the Country Died by Ian Glasper, The Freedom Manifesto by Tom Hodgkinson

“Grinding Halt,” The Cure
When Lou Reed was on his New Sensations tour he did a record-signing at a store in Kenmore Square, Boston. While I was there I found Boys Don’t Cry cheap, bought it, and, not clear on the record-signing concept, asked Reed to sign it (he did). Robert Smith described “Grinding Halt” as a “pop song that reminds you of the Isley Brothers or The Buzzcocks.” A songs-that-influenced-me-but-I-don’t-want-to-hear-right-now mix would have to include The Buzzcocks’ “What Do I Get.” My old band The Sarnos used to do a country version of that song.

“Just Like Heaven,” Dinosaur Jr.
I like a number of their romantic songs; especially this (late ‘80s, SST Records) Cure cover and their version of Frampton’s “Show Me the Way,” from around the same time. According to Wikipedia, The Cure messed with the arrangement of “Just Like Heaven” in order to make it sound less like The Only Ones’ “Another Girl, Another Planet,” another song that would have to be on the above-mentioned “What Do I Get?” mix (The Sarnos recorded it).
Further reading: Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

“Too Nice to Talk To,” English Beat
I was really interested in certain rhythm guitar patterns, like the ones in this song, from 1981’s Wha’ppen?. I went to see The Beat play at Boston College in 1983 with REM as the opening band. My friends & I didn’t have money but karma &/or the appeal of a cute teenage girl got us tickets from disgusted music industry guys who had just walked out of the insufficiently rock performance. You hear in this song where the sax solo gets echo-y? That’s what it sounded like when we walked into the barn.

“Pull Up to the Bumper,” Grace Jones
This cut was recorded with Sly & Robbie and Chris Blackwell’s Compass Point All Stars (who also recorded classic Tom Tom Club) as part of the Warm Leatherette (1980) sessions but was too dance music-y for that New Wave/Reggae fusion project.

“That’s Entertainment,” The Jam
I used to listen to this (recorded circa 1979) demo version of “That’s Entertainment” from Snap over & over again. This version is just Paul Weller overdubs plus some non-Jam guy on quiet drums. So my favorite recording by The Jam isn’t really by them. I also like the studio version with its backwards psychedelic guitar.

“Up on the Sun,” Meat Puppets
The title track from their 1985 STT album. When confronted by an audience wanting punk rock they’d play a slow country ballad with nonsense lyrics: “Long time ago I turned to myself & said, ‘You are my daughter.’”
Further reading: Enter Naomi by Joe Carducci

Nothing to Be Done,” The Pastels
I think I saw The Pastels at an in-store at Epicenter Zone, a volunteer-run store that was at Valencia near 16th, around this time, 1989.
Rough Trade by Rob Young


“Skye Boat Song,” Paul Robeson
Paul Robeson was an African American commie, I mean political activist, and singer, actor, and athlete. He was 60-something years old on this (circa 1960) recording. The song has an interesting history of fraud or misunderstanding. In the late 19th Century, Sir Harold Edwin Boulton grafted lyrics commemorating the Jacobite rebellion of the 18th Century onto a Scottish folk tune. The result was published and became generally accepted as a century-old folksong of protest.
Further reading: How The Scots Invented the Modern World by Arthur Herman

Cities,” Talking Heads
This song (recorded in 1979 or 1980) has another of those rhythm guitar patterns that fascinated me. On Fear of Music, the band was playing interesting rhythms, had Brian Eno producing, and yet was still a rock quartet.
Further reading: Fear of Music by Jonathan Lethem, Totally Wired and Rip It Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds

“Skye Boat Song,” Tom Jones
There’s a crazy video on Youtube of Tom Jones & The Squires (his ‘60s backing band) playing this song live in 1965. I first saw him live circa 1990, at that “in the round” place that used to be in South San Francisco, or Daly City. He’d made a comeback with Art of Noise’s Prince cover, “Kiss,” & so he had a synthesizer-heavy backing band. Shortly thereafter, though, he switched back to playing with classic Vegas-type musicians, which was great. I last saw him about ten years ago, in Vegas, the day after I got married, & he still had it. I like this song’s baritone sax & how irreverently pop & bluesy this “Skye Boat Song” is compared to British folk versions (& Paul Robeson’s). 

Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox. Make sure you come back and comment! To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK



26 comments:

xtina said...

I am thrilled to see another Influences mix. I have been totally digging the ones we've been privy to so far, and I can tell this one will be no different! In reading the liner notes I see about 40% of your selections are ones that were either shortlisted for mine (but another track won out, r.e. Dino Jr) or are on the Influences Outtakes mix that still lives in my playlist sidebar (Grace Jones, Meat Puppets) or both (Tom Jones, The Jam). A good sign, as it makes me inclined to believe that the other songs with which I'm not familiar will click right into that 'sweet spot'. Can't wait, as I really enjoy your mixes, Sam. Thanks in advance!

Jeanne-Marie said...

New old mix looks like lots of fun!

Clancy Bros, Crass and the Cure, more soon...

Wes said...

When I first read the song list, I thought "this is a list of my influences too". Then I really got into the mix and realized that I hadn't heard some of the songs. What a great revelation. I was thrilled to see Bongwater. A great band and such a wonderful influence. The Clancy Brothers is new to me. And then Crass, brilliant. I just made a mix for an up and coming punk rock lover and included them. They were an overlooked band which I'm sure would make them very happy. I can still remember hearing Grinding Halt for the first time. Many of you might remember Maury Mossman. I first heard that record in his room in Cary Quad at Purdue so very many years ago. I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. Grace Jones is fantastic. I was so happy to see a track from her in the mix. I got to see the Meat Puppets many times. This is my favorite of their songs. It just makes me happy. The Talking Heads, another wonderful memory. I still listen to them all the time, and what a great cut. To end with Tom Jones was perfect. I'm a big fan and this is a new cut to me. Wonderful. Thank you, Sam.

Toby said...

Sometimes it's nice to realize how many people I grew up with who I never knew. I was at none of those shows and all of them. I was never in that record store and that's the only place I ever went to. And when we woke up, a little hungover from the cheap beer and still foggy from all the massive bong hits, it was fun to discover to how cool Tom Jones was. It wasn't too late. We still had a lot of time.

Sam K. said...

Thanks for the kind words, projectmates. I'm feeling the group mind.

ST said...

Bonus reading list. Excellent.

Kevin Seidel said...

Fun influences mix, and how punk rock is it that you asked Lou Reed to sign another band's record? I love that. I also loved the Dino Jr. version of the Cure's tune...especially the overwrought "youuuuu" and the odd production choice to stereo pan the word "hair" or whatever that lyric is.

I love the Dylan singing on Nashville Skyline, and remember hearing "Lay Lady Lay" for the first time and being oddly stirred at whatever young age by the sound of the recording, his odd vocal style, and evocative (to me) lyrics.

Other standouts: The Jam. Meat Putppets and Tom Jones. Also dug the transition from the Irish sounding folk tune in to the heavy-accented punk of the Crass.

Good stuff.

Sam K. said...

ST, Yes let's break out the 3MPMPBC, the book club. Reading list: Head On by Julian Cope; Cor Baby! by John Otway; White Bicycles; White Riot by Stephen Duncombe; One Step Beyond by Terry Edwards; San Francisco Tape Music Center; How Music Works by David Byrne; Jonathan Richman by Alan Cross; The Wire Primers; England's Hidden Reverse; I'm Your Man by Sylvie Simmons; Unknown Pleasures by Peter Hook; Babayaga by Toby Barlow; Music Scenes by Andy Bennett; & I Dreamed I Was A Very Clean Tramp

Sam K. said...

Thanks for the close listening & kind words, Kevin. I agree, the production (probably some kind of old fashioned Nashville reverb) on Dylan's voice on that album is something special. Any tech people here who can explain?

Tim Carroll said...

Great mix, Sam! I love every song on it, and especially dig that Beat-Grace-Jam-Meat parade of hits grouping. "Pull Up To The Bumper" is, by far, my favorite song about parking. That's a really precious Lou Reed story about in your song notes. Ahhh, sweet bird of youth.

"The Drum" sure is nice to have in myTunes. If Anne Magnuson ever asked me to have her babies I'd do my best to grow a uterus.

Did I forget to mention, to mention Memphis? Home of Elvis and the ancient Greeks? Amazing use of the metallic chicken guitar in that one.

I'm with Kevin about Bob's singing on Nashville Skyline. Beautiful. Whoever said he can't sing hasn't heard that album yet.

ST said...

Re: Wes's comment re: Grinding Halt: "That's Entertainment" / Dave White / Harrison Hall :)

Karl said...

So many of your influences are mine, apparently (Dinosaur, Meat Puppets, Cure, Jam, Bongwater) so I was primed to enjoy the ones that I hadn't heard, and was not disappointed in the least. Lotsa good stuff here fer sher, and thank you very sincerely for proving that Tom Jones is undeniably the man!

Danny Lee said...

How could I never have heard "I Threw it All Away"? What a great song. How could I never have heard "The Drum," "Grinding Halt" and Dinosaur Jrs" take on "Just Like Heaven?" Thanks for correcting a terrible oversight, Sam!

fritz said...

Much to love on here, both the content and the sequencing. The Clancy Brothers reminded me of a number of my mom's old folk lps that I recall from my youngest days and Bongwater reminded me of my brother turning me onto them in my later-younger days.

The Crass were probably more influential to me in a philosophy and graphic design sense but I do like this song.

Talking Heads, Cure, English Beat, and the Puppets all have their place in my personal Influential Mix Pantheon too but were cut for space. I always had issues with the Jam which were more than likely related to other folks who really, really liked them but the awesomeness of 'That's Entertainment' is absolutely undeniable, and like you I prefer the demo version.

'Pull Up to the Bumper' is new to me and definitely places her next to Tom Jones as The Wo-Man-- great pipes on the both of them.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Sam, digging the mix, the liner notes, the transitions between songs. I too was in Boston, 1983-84, and one of the greatest shows I saw then was a summer gig by UB-40 in some low ceilinged warren of steamy rooms somewhere in the south end. Back then they and the English Beat were getting lots of rotations.

I always appreciate hearing new stuff and your mix has some gems for me; Bongwater, The Clancy Brothers, Crass but my personal favorite is The Pastels. Instant pop party.

Tom Jones as your finale is wonderful. Saw him at Outside Lands a few years ago. All the gals were tossing their underwear on stage. Good to see that some rituals never die.

Doug said...

Am I a terrible person for liking the Tom Jones version over the Paul Robeson version? I mean, Tom says, "Let's go" and then there's an 8-bar organ solo.

Loved it all, Sam. Well, except maybe the Clancy Brothers. But that's my problem. Crass is new to me. And fantastic. Everything else reminds me of living in LA after college and trying to figure out what in hell I was going to do with my life. Are you sure we weren't roommates? But enough about me – YOU gifted us with a string of amazing songs. Thank you.

Beth said...

I knew from reading the track list that I would really enjoy this mix but it was hard to make the time. But what a treat now that I finally did. We must be right around the same age because so many of these bands are in my influential list as well. (Though for some reason I have never jumped on the J Mascis train. I remember seeing a line down the block in front of the Kennel Club in the late 80s for Dinosaur Jr and thinking this must be the new hot band but then never really finding it all that relateable to me.) But I digress. What else can I add to this discussion? I wish that Bob Dylan always sang this way -- and I have wondered whether his usual singing style is the affectation and his Nashville Skyline voice is him being real? The mix really really hit the sweet spot for me the English Beat-to-Meat Puppets section. Wonderful stuff. And the "in the round" theater where you saw Tom Jones must be the Circle Star that was in San Carlos. That was a cool relic of a place.

Sam K. said...

Circle Star! Thanks Beth. (Speaking of cool relics I just found out that Konocti Harbor in Clearlake, site of one of my favorite Tom Jones concerts, has also closed.) And thanks all for the kind words & close listening.

Beth said...

Konocti Harbor! I had a client who was on the lam for 30 years (I'm a public defender) but he could not resist the lure of seeing the Doobie Brothers at Konocti Harbor (who could?) and he also could not resist getting into a fight with the bouncer there and...well, he became my client. Rock on, I told him!

Sam K. said...

He was trying hard to recreate what had yet to be created

alix said...

Sam Sam Sam.
I've never met you, and yet I know feel like I know you. Your mixes are always amongst my favorites. I'm always eager to see what you come up with and I REALLY dig this mix. Reminds me of sitting on the floor of my SF flat after I had just moved to SF drinking cheap beer (Bud Dry, anyone??) and spinning nearly all of this stuff. Except the Clancy Brothers (and that was a mistake, because I am diggin' that twang!). BONGWATER! Ahhh......I still have that LP, and sadly hadn't listened to it in nearly a decade. So thank you for reminding me how much I like that song. Love so many tracks here....won't go into detail, but just know ya gots a fan in the East Bay. WHOOP!

alix said...

I think I had too much Bud Dry....my SF flat after I had moved to SF? Yeah....just in case you thought my San Francisco flat was in Portland.

jeffrey bell said...

I give up. I have had a plan to listen to the whole mix several times in a row and then post a comment. Yet every time I start, I get to Bongwater singing The Drum, and I hit repeat. Over and over and over. Ok, and over again. I cannot get enough of it. Should I ever "get enough" I'll repost about the rest of the mix - many of my faves -- Talking Heads, English Beat, Meat Puppets, The Jam, are deeper into it (I too share the Boston early 80's connection). How many nights were spent at the Channel, Spit or The Rat.

Sam K. said...

Thanks all, I am feeling the 3mpmp love. Alix, I don't know dry but I may have had some wine cooler & cloves experience. JB: Yes, there' something magical about Bongwater's Drum. There I said it, magical. I once saw a mass fistfight of numerous white guys beating the shit out of each other in front of the Rat. Terrifying. I also saw the Fall play an all-ages show there, with Christmas. Alix & JB, & others, we were no doubt in the same room at some point in space/time.

Melissa said...

The Beat and The Jam met Tom Jones. And it was awesome.

Van B said...

Thanks, Sam. Like others, this mix took me right back to the Purdue years. Love all the irish tunes, especially the Jones version of Skye Boat.