Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Hebrew School Carpool

Date
August 7, 2013

Miracler
Dan Weber

City 
Detroit

Oh, Dan Weber.  
Where were you in 1983. Specifically, why weren't you in Northwest Indiana? My friends and I could have really used a guy with this stuff on his mix tapes. And even if we had just been buddy–friends. It would have given us hope. And I bet Fritz Eifrig would have appreciated the break. Well, this is doing some retroactive repair, in the way that someone on Facebook just passed along a private compliment about the way I 'rocked' a puffy ski vest in high school (?). Now I can go back and rip out some specific diary pages and change everything! And that's what DW, or 'Danny Lee' in the comment section, he of April '12's Prodge Virdgins and June '11's Lion on a Beach for Y'all and Nov. '10's Have Some Fruit has shown us over his Prodge tenure: it's still possible to make the dreamy backmix that was missing from your high school soundtrack. 

Why, here's what you said about Prodge Virdgins:

I have had the privilege of exchanging first cassettes then CDs with Dan for 15 years, and this latest release from Detroit doesn't disappoint. The 45 minutes have been on repeat, and it all hangs together really well, when you consider the mix of styles it encompassed. What's not to like in power pop like Baby It'd You? Great compilation Dan.   /   Loving this sweet and true! The Muffs, Millie Jackson, Starbelly and Blaze my current faves but it keeps changing. Thanks!   /   Phil Seymour! I am instantly impressed. Now I can only guess what's been on those 15 years of cassette mixes!   /   I saw the Ben Vaughan Combo years ago and he blew the room away. His recorded stuff was never able to catch all of his energy and charm, maybe that's why he wasn't able to hit a greater success. It's great to see him in the prodge.   /   Very nicely done. Yuck, The Muffs and Steve Lawrence all on the same mix. That's fantastic.   /   Bouncin' all over with the Americana of this mix. And now I'm going to name an English band on here that I like. Yuck. Just heard they are playing this weekend in SF. They intrigue me and their name is the biggest Fuck You since...I don't know, there must have been a band called Fuck You. "Growin' a Beard" could be the anthem for our neighborhood these days; seems like every guy is now doing it (except for me, but I am challenged in the facial-follicle arena). Love the Bodeans, MillieJ, and all the boozy bluesy in the mix. Nice work and thanks!   /   Dan, love how everything flows together for such an eclectic brew. Fun liner notes to boot.   /   "Hurts So Good": Loved this on first listen and immediately listened six times more. Then thought the experience was feeling a lot like hearing Candi Staton's "Heart on a String" for the first time and six times more...on "A Lion on a Beach for Y'All"...from, oh yeah, Dan Weber. So cool.   /   Really enjoyed this mix. My faves so far are Phil Seymour, Your Youth, 20 Miles, and Jim Ford.   /   Thanks Dan, I hadn't known, or had forgotten that (the non-Cougar Meloncamp) "Hurt So Good" was a Millie Jackson song. I was familiar with this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXSR8aZ6l-Q&feature=related I usually don't like covers that stick close the original but the "faithful" Love cover really brings out the poppyness of the original. Thanks for sharing!   /   I've been digging this mix for months, but "Baby It's You" just came on my shuffle, so I hustled upstairs, thinking, 'Okay, I know this isn't Cheap Trick, but who *is* it?!', and remembered I loved the track from your mix. Such a great find, thanks so much. LUVVIN IT!   /   Great mix, top to bottom. Favorites: Bodeans, The Picketts, Millie Jackson, and Jim Ford. And, thanks for the special treat of "Alone Again Or"--I have heard countless covers, but never the original.   /   Thanks for this super-nice blend, Dan. My favorite song on the mix -- however hard to choose -- is Millie Jackson's "Hurt So Good." Jim Ford's voice reminds me of Bang Masters era Van Morrison. Similar soul power, but with less nasal vibration, and incredible range, especially in the high end. Nick Lowe calls Ford his biggest musical influence. That's cred, y'all. Rest in peace, Jim Ford. Blaze Foley: GREAT. That Merle Haggard hit, "If I Could Only Fly," is one of his. A tear-to-the-eye song if there ever was one. And speaking of beautiful losers, has Townes van Zandt made it onto the Prodge? The one song that doesn't completely hang with the rest is the Steve Lawrence number -- and yet I totally dig it. My mom loved Steve and Eydie, so they were part of my growing up soundtrack. I had no idea Steve was a Liebowitz. Fun!   /   Jim Ford reminded me of Van Morrison when I liked him (that's a good thing). Dug the Muffs. Yuck - didn't know they had a softer side. And nice Starbelly. Thanks for a complete mix of things I'd never heard before.   /   Loving the Jim Ford track - a shaft of sunlight through freezing fog. Thanks for the tip Dan.   /   For my money, "Are they better than Styx" is a pretty low bar to clear. That said - yes, Crack the Sky are. The yelpy vocals irked me slightly at first, but the rock won me over (kinda how I feel about Rush). Phil Seymour was new to me, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some more, 'cause this song is the bee's knees. I already love the Muffs, so that one was pretty easy to win me over with, and I was surprised to learn that the theme from "Bewitched" had lyrics. Crazy world. Lastly, that Blaze Foley song is indeed a thing of beauty.

Liner Notes by Danny Lee 
Back in the early-to-mid 1970s, a few families in our neighborhood organized a carpool to ferry us to and from the Shaarey Zedek Religious School every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. One of the drivers was Mrs. Silverstein. She wasn’t the nicest parent in the group and she used to infuriate me whenever it was her turn to drive, because she was a habitual station-switcher. Whenever a super-catchy, top-40 tune would start to play on the Vista Cruiser’s radio, she would give it maybe 20 seconds and then twist the dial to find something else. Gilbert O’Sullivan. Charlie Rich. Gordon Lightfoot. Rufus and Chaka Khan. All my favorites died by her callous hand.

I still remember the peak of my frustration. Mrs. Silverstein casually put the kibosh on “Nothing From Nothing” and I was pissed. I loved that melody and I wouldn’t stand for this crap anymore. I gathered my courage and asked her to please go back to the song. She replied - and this still sticks in my mind -  “Really? Aren’t they all the same anyway?” She did go back to the song, but I never forgave her for her ignorance. In order to make amends for Mrs. Silverstein’s sins, I present songs in the spirit of those hooky hits I always missed out on. No Tony Orlando in here (you’re welcome), but hopefully you’ll find something you can hum along to. L’chaim!
 
1. It's Been Too Long And It's Too Late Now - Velvet Crush
Thanks to that amazing 3MPMP master list, I noticed that CvS included one of VC’s tunes in the very first season. They deserve another appearance.

2. Andy Norris - Badfinger
Been getting into their later stuff lately. Joey Molland could write too!

3. As Long As I'm With You -The Rubinoos
The lighter side of power pop.

4. You're a Lonely Girl - P.F. Sloan
Supremely talented songwriter. Supremely screwed by his record company, natch.

5. Catalina - Allah-Las
Maybe my favorite new band. I hear equal parts Standells and Mazzy Star.

6. Rain - The Jazz Butcher
Pat Fish is one of my 80’s heroes. I don’t have many of those.

7. Dimes For Nickels - JD McPherson
My brother introduced me to this guy. Check out the live versions on YouTube. Fun.

8. The Day the World Turned Blue - Gene Vincent
From Gene’s last album. A broken-down (young) man sings a beautiful song.

9. As We Go Along - The Monkees
From the “Head” soundtrack. Super sweet Mickey Dolenz vocals. I get irritated whenever I read a derogatory comment about the Monkees. I bet Mrs. Silverstein hates the Monkees.

10. Sad Sad Girl And Boy - The Impressions
Everything Curtis Mayfield did just sounds like gospel music to me.

11. I Can't Let Go - Evie Sands
Recently found out about her. Bubbled just under the surface in the 60s and sadly never got her due.

12. Danger - Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons
Like Badfinger, they have a goldmine of stuff beyond the hits.

13. He's In Town - The Rockin' Berries
More great falsetto, this one from across the pond.

14. You Don't Have To Be a Baby To Cry - Fred Neil
Fred Neil in a good mood is really weird. But I like it.

15. Long Road Home - Fanny
June and Jean Millington were pioneers. Fanny was the first all-female band to release an album on a major label.

16. Ab's Song - The Marshall Tucker Band
A very small song that really packs a punch for me. If you like it, check out Iron and Wine’s version. 

Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox. Make sure you come back and comment! To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

23 comments:

fritz said...

Wow! That's one damn fine mix-- packed solid with absolute gems!

Hugely love the (new to me)Allah-Las and Velvet Crush, and thanks for introducing me to P.F.Sloan, as well as more Rubinoos and Badfinger goodness to add to my collection.

The Gene Vincent was a marvelous surprise-- reminded me a bit of Mickey Newbury-- and was beautifully sequenced with such a wonderful Monkees number... and then Curtis! You finished me right there with a 1-2-3 combination. Just a great, great mix!!

Ray said...

totally agree with the velvet crush reference. they are hugely underrepresented in the prodge.
and thank you thank you thank you for including the jazz butcher! all mine is on vinyl and i was too lazy to rip it to include in one of my comps. saw them several times in the late 80s and they were amazing. nice work!

jeffrey bell said...

Haven't listened yet. I'm still enmeshed in "What's That Sound," but HEBREW SCHOOL CARPOOL is my new all time favorite mixtape name. It should be a band and a blog and a movie and a TV show on Comedy Central. Can't wait to wade in, but until then, I will repeat Hebrew School Carpool as a kind of meditative mantra to comfort me through the day.

sircvs said...

Aw, the station switcher, the original "next track" anxiety. This looks like a good mix- I got turned onto Evie Sands (and the Red Bird label) about 20 years ago, that song inspired at least one of my tunes. Apparently she was hooked up with the producer Chip Douglas. Mazel Tov.

Velvet Crush- I think most of those guys are still being employed in Matthew Sweet's band, on tour now. Ric for sure, maybe Paul Chastain too if he kept the gig.

Last time I was in a synagogue, the canter played some VERY Manilow tunes that he must have picked up on.

thanks for sharing!

ST said...

You had me at Vista Cruiser.

Melissa said...

One day in the late fall/early winter of...2010, I believe it was...I stumbled upon the Allah-Lahs performing at the Burritt Room in San Francisco. These were the brief glory days when that venue had live music. Anyway, I fell in love with the Allah-Lahs immediately, but it proved to be a short affair because I managed to kind of forget about them. Kind of.

Thanks so much for the reminder. Like any love, music love can wane if we don't nurture it.

peter b said...

I haven't even had a listen yet, but that car photo is fan-freakin'-tastic. Nice to see the Marshall Tucker Band taking up the rear of the mix.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Great stuff here Danny Lee Webber. Btw, it took me a while to put your two selves together!

How could Mrs. Silverstein have confused Andy Norris with Dimes for Nichols or He's in town? She sounds dull and bitter! F'in beyotch bumming out your trip to Hebrew School. This music clearly primed your minds for study. I am thinking songs 15 and 16 were saved for the ride home.

In any case, I listened to this before I read the song list. "As We Go Along" is so very lovely, that Mickey... My other favorite is Fred Neil. Raise your hand if you can do that kind of vocal gymnastics. I plan on playing it for my baritone husband so many times that he will do it with out my asking.

Lastly, I have a very special fondness for the Jazz Butcher, whose music I have only on ancient cassette.

Thank you!

Doug said...

Love it, Dan. Thanks. Allah-Las are my new favorite band. Every song on this mix is great, let's leave it at that. Oh, and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfInULDW7o


Beth said...

I was stuck in the CCD (Catholic religious education) carpool. It was nowhere near as swinging. I was so jealous of the Hebrew school kids!

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Love this mix -- especially the addition of another great Monkees tune (with yet another awesome vocal performance by Micky)! I recently read a really well-written book about The Monkees that takes them and their legacy seriously -- highly recommended: Monkee Business by Eric Lefcowitz http://amzn.com/0943249007

Wes said...

Velvet Crush was a perfect way to start the mix. What a delightful song. How awesome it is to see PF Sloan as well. Such a great guitar sound. Allah Las is new to me and as I listen to the song, I'm reminded why I love the Prodge so much, a stream of new and fantastic music. I'll be headed to the record store later to procure this one. I really like the slight similarity to the Black Angels. The Monkees song is awesome. I've been listening to a ton of Monkees stuff of late. There is so much in their catalog that I never got to because I couldn't see past the bubble-gum single releases (I owe Fritz a debt of gratitude for helping me realize this). I really liked the Marshall Tucker Band song and yes, I did go find the Iron and Wine version which is wonderful. Thanks, Dan.

Anonymous said...

This mix is a gem from start to finish - whatever the styles on display it still sounds like a Dan Weber comp - that is a rare quality.

I especially like the Fred Neil pop tune - what a voice.

Great work Dan, and you are now bookie's favouraite for comp title of the season.

Paul Rhodes-

alix said...

It's been a long crazy summer and I'm finally coming up for air and trying to get caught up on all my 3mpm mixes (silly me for not finding time to download all these sooner—woulda made the ills of august go down much more smoothly!). BUT CAN I JUST SAY....one listen to this mix and I'M BACK!!! Dude. The cover! The concept! The TITLE!!! (Totally with Jeffrey, btw, this needs to be a book/movie/TV show/band.) I love this mix. It's just what I needed. SO many gems and lots of "new to me" stuff. (Love the Allah-Las!!) Thanks Dan....and thanks Mrs. Silverstein for the inspiration.

xtina said...

Oh La La, another one falls for the Allah-Las!

And as a lifelong superfan of The Monkees, I'm jazzed to have back to back Prodge mixes featuring those kooks.

In particular I love the flow of this mix. Hmm, flow? Starts and stops? Speed bumps? The way it fits the liner notes so perfectly, I almost feel like I'm in the backseat. This is a great liner-note mix! (I admit, I often jump right in to the mixes without reading the liner notes first, thinking that I don't want them to be 'spoilers' so to speak. Then I forget to go back and either miss them altogether or happen upon them months later [(Sorry Doug!]). So I'm trying to find that sweet balance. And what a good inspiration this mix is! Terrific correlation and story.

And it also gives me the opportunity to get super schooled (not in Hebrew, but in Rock History) by reading the comments. Damn, our group rules! As does this mix.

תודה Dan!

Mark Ulriksen said...

I can't let go of I Can't Let Go! I'd completely forgotten about that song, tho I used to sing along to the Linda Ronstadt version whenever it appeared on some cassette mix back in the day. It's irresistible. Thanks for the Evie Sands version. Is this the original?.

Funny how much good music is out there that's totally new to me. Loved adding another obscure Monkees piece to my collection. J.D.McPhereson is a classic. And the Allah-Las cut has a little Beau Brummels feel to me. Old SF rocks.

Finally, let me second those who love your story, mix name and that great cover shot. Looking forward to the Netflix series.

Anonymous said...

Any mix with The Monkees on it is a winner.

Van B said...

The Gene Vincent and Evie Sands songs are treasures. If only my mom's radio put out sounds like this when I was a kid...

SB said...

Love this mix from cover to concept to liner notes to tracks. Got this weird feeling that Jarvis Cocker is the reincarnation of Gene Vincent (without taking any drugs). Please do not give my regards to Mrs. Silverstein....

Jason Painter said...

Nice mix. Really evokes the 70s. Nice work.

Ethan Prater said...

The Vista Cruiser is was a magical transporation creature - especially the rear-facing all-the-way-in-the-back seat. Staple of weekend sports (though in my day it was a lot of Hall & Oates being played).

Arthur B said...

Man you went to a different school than I did, but I love the way you rolled. My dad was too cheap to buy a car with a radio in it Plymouth Valiant 1966 slant six. Only other car not a volkswagon under $2000.00 new, so I had to hum Beatrles tunes in my head. So count your blessings, peace out