Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Our 11th-and-maybe-final end-of-year mix: RIP RIP RIP RIP 2019


Date
January 14, 2020

Miracler
Toby Barlow

Location
Detroit

Note from Your Hostess:
And you thought the Prodge had pulled up anchor and sailed away forever. Not quite, thanks to Hall of Famer aka Minister of Miracle Maker Mortality, Toby Barlow. This may (or may not) be the last Miracle mix of all time (let's see what kind of energy we get here), but whatever happens, 2019's in the books and ready for savoring.

Massive thanks as always to Toby for creating these loving recaps for us each year. If you're feeling nostalgic for further talents lost, you can always peruse our archive here: 2009201020112012201320142015, and 2016 and 2017 and 2018. If you dig this mix, please leave a comment below! And with that, I give you...



RIP RIP RIP RIP: Liner notes from Toby

I took it as a sign when both Rip Torn & Rip Taylor died this year. 

So, this is it. End of the end. No more of these after this one. Dylan, Keith, Mick, Ringo & Paul.  All of them made it nicely through. Even Iggy, against all odds, still standing. Perhaps future digital archeologists will wonder if they, in fact, were immortal. I mean, seriously, imagine a universe where there is an actual god with a name like ‘Robert Plant.’ Sounds like an IBM employee that none of the other IBM employees like. 

We’ll open with a little bit here from Dr John.

Ric Ocasek met Ben Orr in Cleveland sometime in the 60’s, when Orr had a band called The Grasshoppers (back when insect bands were all the rage, and Ohio was cool.) Then, the two made their way to Columbus, then on to Boston. There, they started the band Milkwood. That didn’t pan out. So, then, after that, The Cars. Think about that journey for a moment, all that travel and work and belief every step of the way. Plugging and unplugging. Gigging and hustling. Then think about what that first album. A perfect debut. After the needle dropped on this song played, the Cars went on to sell 23 million albums (The suggested retail price of an album back then was around $8.00, if you want to do the math). So, there had probably never been as prophetic a song opening a debut album than this one. Let the Good Times Roll, yeah.

“My parents always tried to get me to play country music, and I just didn’t like it that much.” Jimmy Johnson, guitar player at the legendary Muscle Shoals studio FAME, ended up playing with Aretha, Otis, Lynard Skynard, Bob Dylan, The Stones, and Wilson Pickett.  

Another power player. From "Return to Sender," "Mr. Tambourine Man," "Good Vibrations," and even the theme song to "Batman” you grew up with the drum beat of Hal Blaine inside you, you just didn’t know it. Not only was he in the Wrecking Crew, he came up with the name. Max Weinberg wrote, "If Hal Blaine had played drums only on 'Be My Baby', his name would still be uttered with reverence and respect for the power of his big beat."

(Oh, speaking of Ronnie Spector, Eddy Money also died this year. I love the tune he did with Ronnie, “Take Me Home Tonight”. Well, I thought I loved it, and then I listened to it again, and it almost holds up. But it doesn’t.)

David Berman’s Silver Jews caught an angle on the whole Drag City scene that made Hoboken much cooler than anyone else did. This song that makes me happy every time I hear it (I think I first discovered it on a 3MPM mix by our Hostess).  Sadly, I think David Berman was rarely as happy as this song makes me.  

Clydie King was one of those singers. Lotsa “20 Feet from Stardom” moments in her, she was on Sweet Home Alabama and Dylan stuff. Christ, she’s on as much Steely Dan as Michael McDonald. She also had a few minor R&B hits of her own, so, I was going back and forth about what to put on here. But then I stumbled across the fact that on this song, she first shows up in the background when Mick sings

Angels beating all their wings in time
With smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eyes
Whoa, thought I heard one sigh for you
Come on up, come on up, now, come on up now

Sometimes I think Little Feat is my favorite band. I know that makes me uncool, but fuck you. Anyway, Paul Barrere wrote and sings on this one. 

Ginger Baker always scared me the way that your drunk uncle scares you. But – again, let’s go with the first song on the debut Cream album – this tune feels okay. This was, in a metaphorical sense, your uncle before he’s drunk, when he’s telling you a great story about his day, while he pours his drink. 

The English Beat were pretty great, weren’t they? And pioneering in their way. I dunno why we’re not more nuts about them. Too pop? Rankin’ Roger was rappin’ about race on Wha’appen about the same time Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were hip hoppin’ in the Bronx.

Okay, Art Neville. We all love a little Art Neville. I know the bar I was in down in Soho – a kind a lame fern bar where you could always get a seat - when I first this song. I remember thinking “This is a perfect song.” And it is. Also, the Neville Brothers live shows? Did you ever see them? Wasn’t it fucking great? 

I had a theory once that Bob Dylan decided, somewhere around 1999, to just start mimicking Leon Redbone’s whole style, the look, the music, etc.  I thought that was a kind of odd choice. Then, I read how Dylan actually discovered Leon Redbone, back at the Mariposa Folk Festival in ’72, and got Leon his first record contract. Sometimes people thought Leon was just someone else in disguise, Andy Kaufman or Frank Zappa. He was always a bit of a ghostly myth, and now that’s all he is. 

You know those movies where some small-town kids just want to dance and be groovy, but “the man” puts them down and crushes their dream? Roky Ericson’s debut album was “The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators” and it appears that the authorities in his native Texas didn’t take kindly to that. He was eventually arrested – for a single joint. As writer Paul Drummond put it, “By the end of 1969, Roky virtually re-enacted the plot of ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ when he pleaded insanity and was incarcerated in a maximum-security unit of a prison for the criminally insane,” As for the rest of the band, “Stacy was imprisoned in the jail Roky attempted to avoid, Tommy spent two years living in a cave with an LSD mafia cult, their bassist was drafted to Vietnam, and the drummer was given involuntary shock treatments.” To be fair, Roky did have some mental issues beforehand). 

Teresa Ryan was a Southern California girl hanging with her friend Belinda when they saw an ad placed calling for “two untalented girls” to join a band. So, they joined. Belinda got mono and had to quit but Teresa stayed with it, became Lorna Doom, and, along with Darby Crash and Pat Smear, made the seminal LA punk band the Germs. There weren’t a lot of girls in bands back then, much less a band lie the Germs. Lorna was a true pioneer. (Oh, and Belinda did fine, she joined up with the Go-Go’s).

More punk girls. Kim Shattuck was lead singer in the Muffs, which had a very Sub Pop groove. I picked this song because, while it’s not the original, it was the version in Clueless, so it’s the one everybody knows. 

Doug Patterson isn’t a big fan of Daniel Johnston but I like listening to him every once in a while. This tune, to me, captured the perfect simplicity of Mr. Johnston’s music. So simple, it’s actually joyfully hilarious. I used to sing a long with it a lot. 

I’m gonna admit that I should have put something more Scott Walker-y instead of this Walker Brother tune. But I’m building a mix here and where Walker took music in his brilliant career doesn’t quite fit in with these other gems. It would be like bringing a buffalo to a little kid’s birthday. So here we are. 

This guy was something, wasn’t he? Again, I am totally pandering and playing the monster hit. But João Gilberto probably would have been okay with it. He invented Bossa Nova holed up in his sister’s bathroom. He liked the acoustics.

“Surf music is a heavy machine-gun staccato picking style to represent the power of Mother Nature, of our earth, of our ocean,” Dick Dale once told the Times. His first instrument was a ukulele. This tune is actually a reinterpretation of a Middle Eastern turn and, turns out, Dale’s father was Lebanese. 

Here’s a story. I once was in love with a woman who, back long before she met me, traveled with the band. Not the band, actually, but The Band. She was with Garth Hudson. Anyway, years later, she would keep me awake at night in a cabin in the woods telling me hilarious stories. One of my favorites was about a European multi-group package tour they took with Dr John. And because they were rock and roll kids, the customs agents would go carefully through their luggage. Unpacking Dr John’s bags, in particular, would be an endless adventure there at the border. The Belgian customs official would pull up a packet of yellow powder, and John would say “Well, you know, that there is the dust of a root, okay, for if your woman is cheating on you, you just gotta sprinkle that in her coffee and she will lose that roving feeling…” and the customs official would nod and then pull out a strange vegetable, and Dr. John would say “That’s a root for if you’re feeling like your worried about a curse…” etc.

 This year, so many southern Muscle Shoals and New Orleans voices left, it’s like you can feel the spirits floating out into the delta, out into the sea. Then the tide returns and the waves wash back in and some of what we thought was gone returns.

There was this memorable quote from Allee Willis captured in the Times, “I always say, ‘If you were to drop dead, I could write to the clunk of the body.” A legendary songwriter, Allee Willis was a Detroit native and a truly spirited character. And then there’s this thing Prince said: always end your DJ set with “September.”

So, there you go. That’s a wrap. Good luck on the path ahead. 

Mix is UP. Let me know if anyone has a prob downloading this slightly chunky set, and I'll break it up into 2 smaller downloads. Check your email for the current password. Please comment! Just click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

11 comments:

Mark Ulriksen said...

I'm so happy!!! The prodge is back, for however long or short and Toby's latest RIP mix will no doubt be as wonderful as his liner notes. Thank you hostess and Mr. Barlow for your generosity of spirit and curiosity of music. Can't wait.

Toby said...

Sorry for the numerous typos in the liner notes, but then it seems appropriate for the end of the Rip Mix, decline & fall and all that :)

Lauren Barr said...

Thanks, Toby! Thanks, Ms Niland! Looking forward to giving this a listen!

fritz said...

Nice to have the Prodge show up even if only for a little while.

Another well-tended, thoughtful RIP mix-- thank you, Toby. Any time you find yourself in Chicago feel free to stop by and listen to some Little Feat with me; it's pretty close to the turntable most times.

Cheers all!

Nick Dedina said...

Holy smokes, Toby -- great notes to go along with your selections and once again -- you have seemed to have lived a full and interesting life on top of it all. No idea why this year's loss of artists didn't leave me saddened like before -- it may just be that the state of the world in general has me in a numbed state and I now expect new tragedy to strike every single day.

Artists such as Joao, Dr. John, Art Neville, Rankin Roger made me feel better with the joy they put out, Hal Blaine plays on so so many beloved sides and I was out searching for Scott Walker records in Middle School because of Bowie and Roxy throwing his name around. I would add in Roy Loney of the Flaming Groovies, Peter Tork from the Monkees, Mark Hollis from Talk Talk, Andre Previn from the international dating scene, Neil Innes from The Rutles and The Bonzos, and Michel Legrand.

Maybe we need to buy a collective Record Press and send these out in the mail again! It might actually be easier than it is getting to download music and (especially) get that music burned onto a CD.

Thanks again and here's to a better 2020 with only evil people burning up and leaving us.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Another great mix despite limiting yourself to those we lost (and thanks to Nick for the reminder of Neil Innes' passing. Tim Carroll turned me onto the Ruttles and every once in a while, usually in the kitchen, I'll find myself singing "Cheese and Onions"... do I have to spell it out?).

I love how the mix started so solemnly with Dr John and ended so joyously with EWF. "September" is one of the most infectious dance songs EVER. Also loved getting turned on to the Dr John/Neville Bros romp and the catchy Muffs song. I must lead a sheltered life because while it sounds familiar I definitely haven't heard that in ages. I should add that the Walker Bros "Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" is on my Embarrassed to Like playlist. Thanks again for all the effort and scholarship that goes into your annual mix.

peter b said...

Thanks for sharing a fine list and the detailed liner notes. Always glad to get to download the RIP mix.

Van B said...

Thanks, Toby. Your RIP mix and accompanying liner notes are one of the highlights of every year, and I am so grateful you churned out one more.

If I could add one song to this mix, it would be Peter Tork's "Do I Have to Do This All Over Again," especially since Hal Blaine probably played drums on the studio track.

Many thanks to the awesome Kelly for sharing another mix.

Sam K. said...

Hi Toby & Kelly, thanks for this & other years' mixes. Somehow it took a semi-quarantine for me to get to listening to all of this.

A few random thoughts. Dr John's band members (maybe just the percussionist?) were supposed to have played un-credited on Sympathy for the Devil, so that makes it more authentic.

It was weird to hear my teen daughter who dislikes pre-digital amateurishness suddenly start singing Daniel Johnston's 'Vampire' song. Turns out a only-slightly-quirky cover was on one of those romantic vampire movie soundtracks.

Nick, I worked with Roy Loney at a Polk St record store during his lost years of the 80s -- after his 1st career & before his reboot. He was a polite soft-spoken guy, as I remember. RIP.

Saw (English) Beat on their 1st tour at Boston College(?) BU(?) when REM opened for them. We just showed up & heard REM from outside. As soon as the Beat started music industry people walked out & one of them gave us their tickets. That was a good night.

Thanks again. Best wishes & good luck to all!

Paulrhodes16 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paulrhodes16 said...

Greetings from a York 2-room bunker. This is a great, typically eclectic(without pushing that too far) compilation.

For me it I got most pleasure from unexpected sources. I find the Rolling Stones over-exposed and hyped, but Shine A Light, especially in the sheltered cranny it occupies here, is wonderful. This version of Kids in America is far better than the original. I know from bitter experience that you can have too much of the Meters, but this, for me their best song, is unput-downable.

I for one am holding out for a Bear Family box set of the combined RIP recordings, perhaps a few outtakes to boot. Wonderful, thanks RIP Curator and Hostess.