Wednesday, November 4, 2009

An Envious Sliver Broke

Date

November 4, 2009


Miracler

SB


Location

San Francisco


The question hovers somewhere around us, just out of view:

How and when am I going to die?


The intimation of mortality plants itself in us when we're quite young - the dead animal in the road, the relative passing away in our infancy.

Track 1: Lalo Schifrin "The Killer"


We begin playing in the mud of language, learning nursery rhymes to keep death at bay.

Track 2: The Tiger Lillies with Kronos Quartet "ABC"


Adolescence brings defiance and foolhardiness.

Track 3: Lightspeed Champion "Let the Bitches Die"


And sometimes people go too far.

Track 4:The Fall "Bill is Dead"


Still we challenge our demise, romanticize it, shrug it off, spit in its face, or tie it to sex.

Track 5: The Rural Alberta Advantage "The Deadroads"
Track 6: Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin "Dead Right"

Track 7: Silver Jews "Like Like The The The Death"

Track 8: The Hives "Die, All Right"

Track 9: The High Strung "Show a Sign of Life"


But when we meet it face to face, or in the lives of those near us, we change our tune.

Track 10: Absentee "The Nurses Don't Notice a Thing"

Track 11: Calexico "Bend in the Road"


Will your death be cool?

Track 12: Ty Segall "Die Tonight"


Will it be filled with longing and regret?

Track 13: The Go Betweens "Orpheus Beach"

Track 14: The Greenhornes with Holly Golightly "There is an End"


Will it be a classic movie unfolding of your finest and brightest memories?

Track15: Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros "From Willesden to Cricklewood"

Track16: Belle and Sebastien "Rollercoaster Ride"


Will it be something entirely alien to you?

Track 17: Ultre "Peace Corpse"


Or will it be Emily Dickinson's "formal feeling"?

Track 18: Durutti Column "Requiem Again"


Perhaps I'm just morbid. Let's dance...

Track 19: Wyclef Jean "Staying Alive"


Here's hoping you and I keep crankin' it and skankin' it like an Alabama robin for a very long time!

Track 20: The Teacher "Soul Vibration"


Mix is here

Enjoy, XOK

11 comments:

Owen said...

Your husband is very handsome and muscular. However, his mix is not present. Wo ist der Bramfitt Mixen?

kelly niland said...

Sorry—I knew there was something I was forgetting here! Yep, mix is on its way up now. Should be there by 8:30-esque AM.

But pretty cute, eh?!
XOK

Doug said...

Crankin' it and skankin' it like an Alabama robin? What is an Alabama robin? And are they known for crankin' and skankin'? Is this a song lyric that I've just embarrassed myself by not knowing?

(By the way, when one googles "crankin' it and skankin' it like an Alabama robin," the 3MPMP site is the first result.)

Loved the liner notes, Stephen (better than mine - damn!), and I'm really looking forward to crankin' (and skankin') your mix.

Owen said...

I'd like to see Stephen crankin' and skankin'. I'd enjoy seeing Stephen do anything. He's so handsome. He calms me.

Anonymous said...

If someone woke from a coma and their only exposure to music was this particular site, they'd swear the Rural Alberta Advantage is bigger than the Beatles.

kellen

fritz said...

Very enjoyable mix; the back end certainly fit my mood quite well. mrs. fritz also sends along an enthusiastic 'thumbs-up.'

SamKoritz said...

Lalo Schifrin, Tiger Lillies & Greenhornes I should have music by but didn't until now. I saw Tiger Lillies' "Shockheaded Peter" show a while back -- creepy, & the voice is difficult, but good. (The Staying Alive file that I downloaded has someone talking on it.)

Laura said...

Magnificent mix, Stephen! It's become my new morning music, and I can't stop listening to "Rollercoaster Ride." Can't believe I'd never heard the Wyclef cover, plus lots of pop nuggets.

Tim said...

Beautiful melancholia mix, Stephen.

"Peace Corpse" is deep, poignant, and flows into "Requiem" so perfectly. The Strummer song makes me misty eyed. Sigh. A much missed man.

Carpe the diem before the diem carpes you. And leave behind beauty and art whenever possible.

Gioia said...

This is fantastic. Beautiful, dark, complex. Well done!

Jeanne-Marie said...

I was listening to this mix over the last few days, thinking that, aside from that crazy Kronos one, or maybe pushing aside that one, that this mix reminds me of a most cherished type of mix from years past ... and somehow when longing/melancholy was much more of a part of what attached me to great music. I had not yet read your liner notes. Gives me some more to think about, while listening to this mix over the next couple of years.