Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Keep Left

Date
January 29, 2014

Miracler
Lauren Barr

Location
Was SF/Just became Oakland

Oh goody: HER again.
She of Get in the Car in July 2012, Volume 2 in July 2011, and back in December '09, Is This Thing On, aka Music Most Likely To Be Played During Your Hostess' Dinner Parties. Here is a gal who knows no musical boundaries. Well, just one: 'Far-flung stuff that sounds good together.' She always paints carefully within those lines. Today is no exception, so just start five-starring this thing now.

Things you said about Get in the Car
Wow...great mix, and it's only 8:26am...how am i supposed to top this? i should just go back to bed.   /   Uhm...this is how all mixes should start? Seriously?   /   This is such a great collection of songs. I even did it the justice of listening to it the first time while driving. Rival Sons was a perfect way to start. Thank you.   /   Lady L, really intriguing mix. And by "intriguing" I mean AWESOME. I officially have not heard of ANYONE on this. And I love that. Love the jangly bad assery of the Rival Sons, totally dug Shearwater, LOVED the Other Lives track...and Liz Green...And seriously Susan Lucci needs to step it up. The Brazilian Soap Stars are kicking our asses. Thanks for a fab mix!   /   The title alone made me yell and also feel a little scared. Half Sonic Youth-y, half Sweet Hostage-y. Creepy seedy is where I went (and, of course, listening to it and realizing it was a Gonzo road trip ode made *me* feel like a supercreep, but that's no surprise).   /   First track is KICKIN! I've got dust and tangles in my hair already. Then we are on a windy, kookoobrainz road. Dream terrain.    /   I played two songs this AM before listening to this mix; one of them was Ian Dury's Reasons to be Cheerful, so it was odd to hear his sound-alike son's track. I had no idea. I usually don't like when a son closely matches his dad's style but in this case I have to make an exception.   /   Then after that there were excellent international post-dub pop songs that segued nicely into some compatible tunes from Mark Ulriksen's Get Outta Town. Get in the car & get outta town? Someone's trying to tell me something. Thanks for sharing, Lauren!   /   Lauren Barr - I am new to all of it. This mix is so innovative and fresh. What a treasure!   /   Having already confessed to an earlier Miracler about my initial doubts about Liars, let me say it once again—I am an idiot. Oooo—Nick Waterhouse is making an appearance on my mix this August! Who are these Mexican Dubwiser and Novalima of whom you speak? Fantastic! Thanks, Lauren.   /   Not just Get in the Car, but Get In The Car and Drive Like Hell because something scary is behind us like a jilted lover with a big gun or a prison break or a swarm of killer bees or the apocalypse. Whatever it is, these songs make me want to drive fast and not look back. No chance of me pulling a sneaky looky-loo over my shoulder and turning to salt like Lot's wife. Nope, I'm putting the pedal to the floor and driving away.   /   I noticed toward the end of the mix, once we've driven awhile, the music relaxes as if we're in a better place. It's safe. We can slow down, refuel, maybe grab some corn nuts from the gas station before we get back in the car. Thanks for the mix. Clearly it's gotten inside my head and I'm mostly really happy about that. Special thanks for the Baxter Drury track. He sounds like a chip off the ol' Blockheads.   /   This mix is all kinds of incredible, and right out of the gate. The Rival Waters and Shearwater tracks are two of my favorites. I have heard much from Lost in the Trees which never quite got my attention, but "Garden" sure did the trick. Thanks so much.   /   I was particularly struck by the way the Baxter Dury and Nick Waterhouse tracks blended together so well. On one level, they're quite different - one's much more electro, clean and modern sounding, while the other has a classic sound and feel - but the heart of each song seemed so similar to me, and that's what a mix is all about!


Liner Notes by LB


Keep Left
There's no particular theme here, just some songs I've been liking lately that sound good together.

Damabalou Issa Bagayoyo
Meet my ringtone.

Roady Fat Freddy's Drop
From the all-around great album "Based on a True Story"

Big Shot Dr. John
Dr. John by way of Dan Auerbach

Au Flore Céline Ollivier
Something about Serge Gainsbourg, Jane Birkin, and a fingertip at the Cafe Flore. 

A+E Clean Bandit
Electro-baroque, perhaps you heard it here first. Watch the video

Workin' Woman Blues Valerie June
Dan Auerbach strikes again. Those horns!

Don't Come to Me Nick Jaina

I & Thou The Daredevil Christopher Wright

Elégance Alain Bashung

St. James Infirmary Allen Toussaint
from the practically perfect album, "The Bright Mississippi"

Paper Trails Darkside
Nicolas Jaar and the guitarist Dave Harrington, from the super compelling album "Psychic"

Mix is UPNew password, y'all! Check your email. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. 

15 comments:

Melissa said...

I imagine all will agree that the best part of the prodge is being introduced to formerly unfamiliar artists and musicians. I had heard of no one on this mix other than Allen Toussaint, which made me so exited to listen.

I can't decide if I love the Dr. John or Celine Ollivier the most. Add a little ska/reggae with Fat Freddy's Drop, and you have one good time.

plasticarmy said...

Digging that Clean Bandit song. Nice video too.

Gioia said...

Love it! Fun and fresh. Many great artists I haven't heard before. Some of my favorite tracks are A+E, I & Thou (lovely!), Elegance, St. James Infirmary. Thanks Lauren!

Beth said...

I'm completely mesmerized by Daredevil Christopher Wright's sound. I've never heard of him before but am now engaging in some heavy Googling.

Wes said...

That opening song is just plain infectious. And what great ring tone material. I’m such a sucker for a dub organ sound and when the beat is waaay back in the measure like that, I’m in. Dr. John has put out some great stuff over the years. I really like the way Auerbach produces him. The Celine Ollivier cut is delicious. I don’t even need to know about what she’s singing to melt to that voice. That Valerie June record has been getting lots of play at my house. The production is fantastic and her voice is just unique enough to at times be a challenge. I like that. Such a beautiful piano intro to the Nick Jaina cut. I like the phrasing of lyrics in that one too. The Alain Bushung song is just fantastic. Following it with Toussaint is a perfect choice. St. James Infirmary in all it’s forms is such a great song. I was thrilled to see Darkside as the closing cut. I’ve listened to this record over and over since I picked it up. It really is a great record and this is a stand out cut from it. Thanks so much Lauren.

lauren said...

Thanks everyone!

I fell for The Daredevil Christopher Wright when I heard this amazing song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wn7fWeXwtQ

jeffrey bell said...

Good morning Pop Miraclers.
Lauren, I final had a chance to listen to Keep Left all the way through a couple of times in a row and it's lovely. Such a nice sonic space to be inside. The opening track by Issa Bagayoyo hooked me immediately and I had to repeat if several times in a row before I could move on to other awesomeness. I was addicted to Valerie June for months, so thanks for tweaking that addiction again (just when I promised my wife she didn't have to hear it again for awhile. Oh well.) And I love the closing track by Darkside. I didn't know it before, and now it's my new best friend. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This is light, airy and a joy to listen to. From Doctor John to Clean Bandit (my current favourite) is a bold transition that works so well. Great stuff.

Paul Rhodes

Jeanne-Marie said...

Have you even listened to Lauren's mixes, one after another? Reminds me of "Radio M" a Friday night show we have here in Chicago - totally eclectic and broad reaching and the songs just jive no matter how varied they are.

This Nick Jaina song is probably my favorite of the new year. I wonder if I will listen to it as much as Liash Quartet's "Song of the Transition" or Manejo Beto's "Campanera"? Time will tell...

xtina said...

Fat Freddy's Drop! A longtime favorite that got played so often at my house it had to take a little vacation, and I'm glad to have it back in my ears. Have you seen them live? Trombone player may be one of the best things (acts? performances? freaks?) I've seen live. Recommend. I'm not alone, apparently : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BjDuo42r08

Other standouts: Clean Bandit, The Daredevil Christopher Wright (which has such a sweet CSN vibe to it, a different similarity than The Band That Shall Not Be Named, but you know what I mean), and Alain Bushung (which I think will be my next Prodge-inspired dowload).

Thanks Neighbor!

Doug said...

Lauren – your mixes are always a highlight of the season for me. And once again, you do not disappoint. Thank you! Remind me again – what (which?) French internet radio station do you listen to? xo, Doug

lauren said...

Jeanne-Marie: I've got to check out Radio M!

Xtina: That video is cracking me up. Who knew a trombone and a visor were so essential to rockin out on stage?

Hey Doug, check out Radio Fip (pronounced "feep") here
http://www.fipradio.fr/player

Thanks for the kind words lovlies!
xoxo

sb said...

You had me at Bagayoyo...
As always, a collection of stuff I'm mostly unfamiliar with in the best way possible. I always like the eclecticism of your mixes — particularly the African musicians — because they lead me down fun rabbit holes that I don't usually follow. Elégance has to be my fave right now as I long to be French, cosmopolitan, and a lady killer (in reverse order of significance). The last song makes me want to stalk something, albeit in a very cosmopolitan, French way... Thanks for the intros Lauren!

ST said...

Still rotating and rattling around in my Bose noise-cancelers thanks to smart playlists full of favorites :) lots here to love.

And Wes nailed my initial experience with his ring-tone comment - I had more than one "wait, what? I've got a call? No I don't!" moments with that track (#slow_learner).

Mark Ulriksen said...

Lauren, pardon my tardiness. I can't keep up with all the great mixes that the Prodge offers up.

I dig getting turned on to new music/musicians. Great, great opening track and it only gets better from there- Fat Freddy's Drop, Dr. John, Celine Ollivier, Clean Bandit, Darkside, Alan Bushung all rock my world but the St James Infirmary by Allen Toussaint really slays me. Thanks so much for adding this chestnut, done this way. Gotta check out that LP.