Wednesday, January 15, 2014

So Easy, I

Date
January 15, 2014

Miracler

ST

Location

D of C

Release date + 7

Sorry to mess up your pretty cover art, S_ _ _ _ _ (ST's got a job that requires miracling discretion)—your mix is going up a week late due to the late-addition RIP 2013 mix, but it still swings as intended: another 'how'd he do that' mix from ST, he of Vacanudo/Inmunizado from July '12, and a year prior, Two Minute Warning, preceded by Welcome Spring in April '11, which followed his debut 3MPM mix Rocket Sled in Feb. '10. 

And in case you don't believe me, believe YOU, and your notes from ST's last mix

This is officially the first ever 4th of July Mix anyone has ever made me. (she said as a wee red, white and blue tear rolled down her cheek....) VERY fun and totally cool. Government Center is (as the kids say) the shit. I loved it! I'm also a fan of the Mia Doi Todd track....it was like School House Rock for the quirky set. And I mean that in thee best possible way. Thanks ST!   /   Okay—Vacunado. 13 songs and only two bands that I've heard of. My kind of mix. A deep bow in your direction, ST.   /   If that Mia Doi Todd song was on a record, I'd have worn out the grooves already. How many times have I listened to it so far, one million?   /   All of my heroes have turned human this year. Jesus.   /   I'm obviously in a mood. Or maybe we all are? I mean: this mix after Gioia's and Todd's...? Is it me, or is there a distinct moody air going on in here?   /   Itty bitty sound clips from movies mid-mix? FUCK YES!   /   What a great collection of songs. This is my introduction to Desaparecidos even having been a long time fan of Oberst. It's also good to see the Purdue Marching Band represented. I wonder if they used that huge bass drum on this cut. Every single time I hear Billy Bragg's voice, I am immediately transported back to the front room of Tracks Records in West Lafayette. Such great memories. Thanks for both mixes.   /   And they got alot alot alot of great desks and chairs / Uh huh, at the government center / We gotta make the secretaries feel better / When they put those stamps on all those letters
 / I LOVE that song. And the idea of it, taken literally. White collar hives would be tolerable if the worker bees got themselves Modern Loved once in a while. And a double-helping of that bass!
   /   First I must say that Jonathan Richman is a national treasure.    /   Then I will say that the Marty Wilson-Piper song took me back to long college nights spent with my guitar, a chorus pedal, and a 4-track, trying to layer guitars to sound like that guy. After that I'll say that Ms. Todd's line "But I'm made of wax/So easy to impress" strikes me as awesome.    /   Next thing to say is how many songs there were on Vacunado that made me feel like I was in a lost John Hughes movie - so nice and poppy in a dancey 80's style!    /   I will end by stating that as I drove home from work today whilst listening, I got to the last track and wondered who this was that sounded like Edith Frost singing for Magnetic Fields. Whoever it was, I played it over again as soon as it was over due to its being so goddamn good, so thanks for introducing me to Allo Darlin' so they could rule my face!   /   ST, this was great music to blow off my fingers to on the 4th. Love those snaky synth lines from Chairlift, the echo-y guitar break from the Pica Beats and the soaring vocals from Allo Darlin'. An ST mix always delivers the best band names.   /   Wow. Both of these mixes are fantastic, and packed with new favorites for me: Imaginary Circles, Tiny Victories, Dan Deacon, POLICA, Japandroids, Desaparecidos, Wye Oak. Wow. Thanks, ST.   /   I've been playing all of my 3MPM tunes lately and gotta tell you ST, the House that Heaven Built rocks the house. I love this tune. It gets better with every listen.  

Liner Notes by ST
Some slow dance songs for the new year. Selected comments:

2. Self-concious operation of the echo-effect's ON/OFF switch. Rhythm-section machinery. Lyrical invocation of basmati rice.
3. "Hell / Hell / Hell / Hell" etc. lyric's alignment with recent prodge submission themes is coincidental.
4. Falsetto. Clipping. Off-key warbly sounds. Drummer resourcefully using the recording-session to add to the audition tape for his next gig.
7. Just when you thought you didn't have to hear this song again...
8. ...or this one.
9. Me: "What are we listening to?"  MQ-9 operator: "Oh! That's Jovanotti."  Me, a few months later: "Do you listen to Jovanotti while you drive around Italy?" Bicycle-racing photographer: "Oh, totally, he's, like, my number-one Shazam result lately."  So: highly endorsed. Ironically (cf. first endorsement), it's about living in a surveillance state. The same extra-syllable problem that Billy Mack exposed in "Love, Actually."
10. Oldies night. I'm pretty sure this is where I blew the rental car's speaker.


Mix is UPNew password, y'all! Check your email. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

15 comments:

Melissa said...

Just gave this mix a quick preview...

"Evangelists" may be the perfect moody, upbeat, question-religion/faith-or-don't song. Is that an actual song genre? Well, it is now.

A more thorough listen to follow.

Wes said...

From the very opening bass line of the first song, I was doing the dance around the house that makes my dog kind of nervous. I think he worries about me. Actually, he worries about my being in a proper mental state to remember to feed him. Right Action is a great song. This is my introduction to Divine Fits. I’ve seen the name a bunch, but never heard them. What a great cut. The guitar song is fantastic. Turnpike Glow’s 1986 feels like that year to me. It was a good year and my last at Purdue. The swirling sound of Wheel is intoxicating. I hit repeat on that song a time or two. Fantastic. Walking through Seattle the last few days I’ve been seeing lots of flyers for Jagwar Ma, but had no idea who they were. This is a great song. The MS MR cut is really good. It was another one that I had to listen to twice. What a great beat. The Jovanitti cut is wildly infectious. What a great delivery. Chvrches is another band that I’m hearing about all the time out here. This is my introduction to them. I have to go back to the word infectious to describe it. What a great mix. Thanks ST.

Beth said...

This is a genre of music that I'm totally unfamiliar with but that's what I love about 3MPMP -- it nudges (and sometimes jolts) me out of my comfort zone. The funny thing for me is that different songs appealed to me on the two different times that I dipped into this mix. As I type this, I'm digging the MS MR track the most.

Doug said...

Right Action – my favorite song of 2013.

Everything else is new to me. And fantastic. A very tight set, and much appreciated. Long live The Prodge. Thanks ever so much, ST!

xtina said...

CHVURCHES and Jagwar Ma are both on my 'to buy' list ... now even more so.

Am LOVING the upbeat dancetimeusa of this mix! It's been fun to shuffle through it at work, but am looking forward to some private dance party time in the living room! More deets to come after I embarrass myself to the neighborhood (again).

plasticarmy said...

Suffering from post lunch energy crash + excruciatingly boring work this afternoon. It was a dire situation. I was thisclose to falling asleep on my keyboard Put this mix on and man, miracle of miracles, I got some energy back. I was once more the successful cog in the labor machine. I was practically peppy by the end of this thing. Plus I liked imagining Gautama Buddha giving one of those benevolent smiles as he listened to FF song that starts things off.

John G. said...

Wow - picked a good time to emerge from my 3MPMP hibernation.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Sometimes I have to soak the 3mpm mixes in before I can comment. But what the hay, this isn't one of them. I was just a slow ass about turning "So Easy I" on.

Now when will I turn it off? That up beat grooves from the start. Sure that Franz Ferdinand is a power punch of a 3mpm, but the next 5 songs all keep up the pace. Then you load on your electronica songs that I woulda coulda never heard, kept Chvrches which I was somehow hip to.

Thanks for the this Power Pop Trip Trujillo!

Kevin Seidel said...

Curated like a great old radio show - without shiny modern new tunes. New to me included...oh just about everything except Divine Fits. Some great stuff. liked 'em all as a great mix.

Kevin Seidel said...

That was supposed to say "WITH" shiny modern tunes.

Danny Lee said...

Senor Trujillo - Knew from nothing in your mix. Left with a deeper appreciation of wicked beats. "Hurricane" from MS MR is my favorite: love her Nena-like voice, really sets a mood. And "Wheel" has lately been a great help in blasting down snowy, frozen roads.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Been playing this mix non-stop all day. Just totally digging it. Only familiar with Jovanotti, and that's from a different song used on The Sopranos. Long live the Prodge!

Mark Ulriksen said...

Meant to add how infectious Diamonds on the Rebound is.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Update: The Jagwar Ma song has been played as much as any song this week. Also my 9 year old son informed me that "We Sink" is one of the theme songs from FIFA 14, a soccer app. He was jamming right away. Lastly, "Diamonds on the Rebound" sounds very remniscent of some song from the 80's, but I can't pull it up. Anyone?

ST said...

Wow, thanks all for the comments. Glad you liked it. And glad I've got tunes in common with Jeanne-Marie's nine-year-old. J-M: I know what you mean about @
"Diamonds". It felt familiar the first time I heard it too. And Doug: I don't know if it was my 2013 fave, but "Right Action" was certainly #1 on the summer-strut playlist.