May 30, 2016
Miracler
Stephen Bramfitt
Location
San Francisco
Where have I seen this guy before?
Oh yeah—when he left to walk the dog 5 minutes ago. But on the Prodge, it's been a long time: 3 silent years! (We don't play favorites here at 3MPM HQ.)
Last we heard from the mixmaker once known as Sterling Bromide was They Call Me Naughty Lola back in May '13. Before that it was Oct. '12's Black Like Doug Patterson and April '12's I, Superfustinox and Nov. '11's An Envious Sliver Broke and Jan. '11's Kiwiana: Music From The Other Down Under and Jun. '08's Pop Incarnate. A lot can happen in 3 years. One's explorations can go broad—or deep. Which has SB brought us today? Let's look in.
Liner Notes by SB
An Apache Retrospective
Dear 3MPM people,
I didn’t intend to create a mix about one song, but the more I looked into the nearly sixty-year history of Apache, the more intriguing the idea became. There’s little doubt that you’ll recognize its melody no matter which version you play, but the track that started this entire excursion for me was recorded by The Incredible Bongo Band in 1973. Many artists and critics (including Will Hermes in his wonderful book Love Goes to Buildings on Fire) cite this track as the foundation for all of hip-hop (as well as a still-vibrant strain of drum and bass/techno).
And that 1973 version, with its addition of a drum break by Jim Gordon plus multiple other layers of percussion, became one of the most sampled tracks of the early rap and hip-hop era. The 2012 documentary Sample This (unfortunately narrated by ever-pubescent philistine Gene Simmons) covers the story beyond the seventies, but my mix goes back to the roots of the melody, back to the father of rock-‘n’-roll…Mr. Burt Lancaster.
Well, not really. Story has it that over in Jolly Olde England, an itinerant ad-man/comedian/RAF radar operator named Jerry Lordan saw Burt in the 1954 western and composed the instrumental that starts this whole ball rolling. This is Jerry:
NOTE: This is one of those rare cases where your mixologist does not recommend playing the entire mix in one sitting! Best to take this in moderation like an invigorating tonic, lest the familiarity of the tune begins to breed contempt. Above all, take a break before The Incredible Bongo Band because that’s where the sonic fuel really adds some octane.
Tracks:
1. Bert Weedon
The first. Perhaps the worst. That’s what Jerry Lordan thought. Nevertheless, Bert received an OBE in 2001 for his “services to music.”
2. The Shadows
Cliff Richard’s backing band originating from a couple of Newcastle-based skiffle bands. This was their first hit and the version that Jerry Lordan preferred. The band recorded as recently as 2015.
3. Jorgen Ingmann
This is where Apache bounces to the U.S. courtesy of a Danish guitarist. His twangy 1961 version hit #2 on the US Billboard charts and influenced the surf guitar sounds soon to proliferate like algae blooms on the West Coast.
4. Sonny James
Add some “sweet Apache maid” lyrics to spice it up and boom!, you’re on the country charts. Sonny, known as “The Southern Gentleman”, died in Nashville in February of this year.
5. The Ventures
Recorded in 1962 by the 100 million-album selling band, this track postdates their famous “Walk, Don’t Run” by a year and reveals the heavy debt they owe to Les Paul and Jorgen Ingmann.
6. The Mysteriums
Nowhere near as well-known as The Ventures, The Mysteriums carved out a surf guitar niche by covering The Shadows and other bands. Love the guitar on the break…
7. Jeff Richman and Wayne Johnson
A little jazz guitar to freshen the palate before we say hello to the bigger sounds. Very stylish, very atmospheric, very hot tub and a nice bottle of rosé…
8. Incredible Bongo Band
Never an actual band but more a super-session vanity project for Michael Viner using MGM facilities during studio down-time, The IBB version produced by Perry Botkin Jr. wasn’t really recognized until the late seventies when Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash started sampling the break. Amazing that this 1973 track languished for years without anyone recognizing how groundbreaking it was.
9. The Sugarhill Gang
Englewood, New Jersey holla back! Sugar Hill! Love that label! Little known fact: The only US hit by SHG was “Rapper’s Delight.” Some of their other tracks — including this one — were hits in Europe.
10. Know How — Young MC
Wimbledon’s own is now 49. After getting an Economics degree from USC, Marvin Young rose quickly with his “Wild Thing” and “Funky Cold Medina” tracks with Tone Lōc. Then came “Bust a Move.” This track relies heavily on the 1973 IBB version underneath some smooth rhymes. Last time you saw him? It was in “Up in the Air” in a convention concert scene with Clooney and Kendrick.
11. Break Dance – Electric Boogie — West Street Mob
It’s 1983 and more homage to the 20 year-old IBB version courtesy of the Sugar Hill label. The mob looked like this:
12. New Birth Brass Band
I believe you can hire these guys for your funeral. Or someone can. Probably a lot cheaper if you die in New Orleans though…
13. Thought @ Work — The Roots
Another tip of the cap to the 1973 version, with lyrics that bend my prohibition on violent/misogynistic lyrics, but don’t quite break them. And I hear these chaps are doing well on the telly.
14. A Bit Patchy — DJ Switch
If I am to be honest, this ranks as one of my favorite versions. Released in 2005 and hitting it big in Ibiza in 2006, this sultry sampling is a great counterpoint to Bert Weedon all those years ago.
Some
other bands/performers if you want to explore Apache a little more:
Dave Allan and the Arrows
The Edgar Broughton Band
Sir Mix-a-Lot
Vanilla Ice (Ninja
Rap)
Missy Elliot (We Run
This)
Amy Winehouse (In My
Bed)
Scooter
Normaal
Ariel Pink’s Haunted
Grafitti (Symphony of the Nymph)
Wyclef Jean
(Masquerade)
DAVID BOWIE (How Does
the Grass Grow from The Next Day 2013)
Mix is UP. Check your email for the NEW-ISH PASSWORD. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK
ALIX TYLER, YOU'RE NEXT!









15 comments:
Musical mishy-mashiosity: Young MC’s ‘Know How’ 1989 was obviously an influence on the Beastie Boys’ 1994 ‘Root Down' – yet another song that uses the Bongo Band percussion.
http://www.whosampled.com/Beastie-Boys/Root-Down/
A fan of the big organs, there’s some tasty Hammond in the Bongo Band’s version of ‘Apache.’
Speaking of bongos, howzabout Preston Epps’ ‘Bongo Rock’?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZJlVeEVeI
Burt Lancaster fans, have you all seen ‘Sweet Smell of Success’? I didn’t get around to seeing it until this year, and then watched it three times in as many days. Same director who did 'The Lady Killers' – Alexander Mackendrick. Dark, cynical family fun. The film was a flop when it came out in 1957. But then, Citizen Kane also lost money at the box office, and ‘Sweet Smell’ is also a thinly fictionalized biographical assassination of real-world newspaper creep, Walter Winchell.
Thanks for the mix, Stephen!
Stephen, this is some serious musicology — you're cracking a knowledge egg on our collective heads. I'll take you at your word to go thru this in pieces tho the first time through I bounced from intro to intro and it's wonderful to hear the progressions.
And Tim, re Sweet Smell of Success, that was shot by the one and only James Wong Howe, he who also filmed one of the greatest visual films I've ever seen, Hud.
Ok, I skipped ahead, straight to the link and then I ended up here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNgIj-SbT-c
I don't know whether to blame you Bramey or thank you.
Jeanne-Marie – Sweet is looking pretty good, for their age.
Mark – James Wong Howe is great! He used Deep Focus before Gregg Toland and a thing called the crab dolly for tight, fluid moving camera shots – kind of a pre-steadicam steadicam. The black and white stock used in 'Sweet Smell' was intended to give the film a Weegee vibe.
Apache? Oh yeah – GREAT SONG. Thanks for the link to the doc, 'Sample This', Stephen. I'm going to watch that one, f'sure. But why is Gene Simmons narrating? He's a hater of the rap (and an asshole). Gene did make a cogent point, however, about why N.W.A. shouldn't have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, despite Dr. Dre saying, essentially, that Rap IS Rock and Roll. Gene's refute: "When Jimi Hendrix is inducted into the Rap Hall of Fame then you would have a point."
Bramfitt!!! When I first laid eyes on this mix I thought, "he's either a mad man or a genius!" I can't lie, it's both the weirdest and coolest concept for a mix. I have to say I have always LOOOOOOVED Apache as done by the Incredible Bongo Band. It's SO. DAMN. GOOD. (the bongos! = the horns! the Hammond! all of it) I knew people sampled the hell out of this tune, but I had no idea there were so many versions or it's history! I confess, I didn't totally follow instructions, as I listened to the first version and then skipped around and did a sample of all of them because I was so intrigued. I will say Incredible Bongo Band is still my top fave, but I loved hearing all of them. And I'm for sure going back to listen in chunks as soon as I leave this comment. Nice one!!!!
PS!! Kudos on finding that old school photo of Jerry Lordan!!!! Back when I was still blogging at Modern Kiddo I always tried to scare up images for all the vintage/retro posts and it can be so HARD to do!!
Dang.
I am very excited about this.
I am two songs in and I am WAY into this mix. The Ventures' version of Apache almost made it into "The Sea" mix--I am so glad it didn't because this may be the coolest mix of all time.
I love this!
Great fun, and I did listen straight through, twice.
Love that Ingmann version an awful lot although the IBB one is a stunner. Also, the Young MC really made me smile.
I love the idea for this mix so much I decided specifically to listen to it all in one sitting. It was fantastic. Despite what Jerry thought, I like the Bert Weedon version. I wonder why he didn’t. I had no idea that Cliff Richard’s band had any sort of recording career before him. I guess I just thought that they appeared magically when Cliff needed them. As an aside, I’m still unable to think of anything other than The Young Ones when I see or hear Cliff’s name. What a great version by Ingmann. That’s a cool guitar sound. Sonny James’ lyrics struck me as strange and kind of creepy, but I really liked the line “he and his pony go thundering by”. I’ve never really thought of ponies thundering, but it certain adds drama to the story. Did the Ventures really sell that many records? I knew they sold a bunch, but my god. I super dig their version. The Mysteriums could play just about anything and I’d be in, just because of how much I wish I’d been in a band with that name. They did a great job with this song. That guitar sound is so delicate. I was so looking forward to the Incredible Bongo Band version. I was tempted by the liner notes to play it before I listened to the rest of the mix, but I fought off the urge. What a great song. That organ is out of hand cool. The Sugarhill Gang were awesome. I still remember the first time I heard them. My high school kid in Indiana mind was blown. This is a great Young MC song. I would never had made the connection with Apache, but now I get it. I absolutely love the New Birth Brass Band’s version. It’s beautifully chaotic and the way they lay way back in the beat is fantastic. It’s got a wonderful James Brown feel to it. The Roots are a band i need to spend more time with. I like every thing I’ve heard by them. This no exception. The DJ Switch version is the perfect bookend for this mix. I really dig it. It makes me with I was in Ibiza in 2006. Well done, Mr. Bramfitt. A great idea and really well executed. Thank you.
Apache by the Mysteriums hands down won me over. Tracks 10-14 was the prize at the bottom of the box!
droppin some music science history cuz those who don't know their history are condemned to repeat. thanks for sharing, Stephen. member when u could be anyone on facebook?
The Incredible Bongo Band track is so, so good! I enjoyed the goofy vocals in Sonny James' version and the trippy sounds in the Ingmann tune. I thought 'Apache' was a Venture's original, but I'm dumb. Thanks for the musical schooling.
What a crazy, eclectic mix of tuneage. And I missed it, because I'm lame and didn't get to the download in time. But I read the liner notes, and that made me even more mad at myself for missing it.
Post a Comment