Sunday, August 24, 2008

Taking stock: What's hot in Miracleland?

(Click to enlarge... Also, Your Hostess relishes your COMMENTS!)
Miraclers, did you know that our amazing group is now SIXTY strong? Tis true. 3MPMP 2.0 is now exactly twice the size of the original group. To call this a Movement would be a super-gigantic understatement.

With our August 25 mix, we are 18 mixes in, if you count the bonus Guilty Pleasures mix from August 8 (still available here for one more week), with 42 more to go (YEOW!).

With such a chunky number of mixes behind us, it seems like a good time to look at where we've been so far and geek out a little on some stats, a big deal to true Miraclers. With that I'm thrilled to present our first 3MPMP Trend Report. Shows where we are now, as well as some combined stats from 3MPMP 1.0 and 2.0. Feel free to comment with observations of things both here and not-but-should-be, so that they can be included in the next Edition. Enjoy, XOK

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully illustrated information Kelly!

Out of curiosity, how many hip-hop tracks? Also, it seemed like there was a spate of Faces / Rod Stewart tunes at the beginning of round two, no?

I worked with a guy who swore he could guess the age, within three years, of anyone (without having ever meet them) by simply looking over the record collection. On that note, I dunno if Stephen ever tries this but one of my favorite things to do on the shuttle to work is check for peoples shared libraries and try and guess who they might belong to. Age, race and gender... it can be tricky but for the most part everyone has the same stuff. Oh, and hardly anyone has much by the obscure little band from across the pond The Beatles. Weird.

Anonymous said...

My own shared music library has gotten MUCH more popular since I started including the 3MPMP playlists. Each night when I shut down, I get the "at least one person is listening to your library, are you sure you want to shut down?" and sometimes I spare those lucky listeners, and sometimes I cruelly end their session.

Number of IMs I've gotten, cursing my name for doing so? 4.

Anonymous said...

also
http://www.fleshmap.com/listen/music.html
Musical genres measured by the percentage of body parts mentioned within them.
Yeah, check out the hiphop one
-BT

Anonymous said...

And related to Ben's comment (by the way, Ben, you can add your name to your comments by clicking the "Name/URL" button and typing your name in there...duh...), Toby sent me this kooky "Visualization of the inherent connections amongst friends— Geographically located iTunes Libraries."

http://caleblarsen.com/projects/itunes/index.html

Not exactly sure yet what it all means but it at least looks cool...

Anonymous said...

Number of times I have re-examined this document today: 8
Number of categories that made me LOL: 5
Number of categories that I don't get: 1
Photos of my anatomy used to make this document: 1
Love for Kelly Niland: Vast. Expansive. Endless.

Anonymous said...

You said titular. He he.

Anonymous said...

Bowie ANGRY! Bowie needs props! If he doesn't get some track love, he is threatening to reform Tin Machine...

Anonymous said...

Is it a coincidence that Kelly used my favorite shade of green on the excellent Trend Watch? I don't think so!

Anonymous said...

Mix-CD Fans Take Their Hobbies Public In Bars and Galleries:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-08-27/music/mix-cd-fans-take-their-hobbies-public-in-bars-and-galleries/

So when do we take this show on the road and hit a bar?

Anonymous said...

yeah, right?
me thirsty!
-BT

Anonymous said...

Eggggzellent idear, gents. It's high time we held a social anyway. Could be a themed-CD exchange at a bar. Or, Joni was telling me about some kooky themed-room karaoke bar out in the Avenues... I was in Chinatown perfecting "By the time I get to Phoneix" this weekend and am READY. Anyone? Or there's always beer at a normal bar...

I'll float the idea in an upcoming Monday email.

Miraclers, what sounds good to ya'll?
XOK

Anonymous said...

Somewhere that's kid-friendly? Noe's?

Anonymous said...

Count me in. I'd like to finally put a few names to faces...

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's ON! A themed-CD exchange in late September. Should give everyone time to make an amazing mix.

How about a Thursday early-eve? Any favorite or bad Thursdays for anyone? Let me know.

I'll write it up in Monday's email.

Anonymous said...

Thursdays work for me.

Any ideas for a theme or...?

Anonymous said...

I think people should make up their own themes so we end up with all kinds of madcappery.

As for the exchanging part, how about this idea: Each Miracler brings two copies of their mix to the par-tay. One goes to another Miracler through whatever exchange method is preferred. The other goes to Your Hostess, to be uploaded to the site on future Bonus Fridays. That way, everyone will eventually prosper from the mixes.

I'm making this up as I go along here. But that's a good way to do it, yeah?

Anonymous said...

one for exchange and one for bonus friday... good idea, o wise one. and madcappery is always fun.

so with these bonus fridays, are they the same length as a normal mix (i.e. 20 tracks)?

Anonymous said...

The mixes can be made up of MP3, since that's how I'll upload them to our site. So technically, you can put tons of MP3 songs on a CD.

My own opinion is that most mixes start to lose it after an hour or so. But who knows, with Miraclers as talented as ours, I'll probably be proved wrong.

So I'd say, make whatever length mix that best serves your amazing theme.

Yeah?