Date:August 25, 2008
Miracler:
Brian Emery
Location:
Portland
In addition to his obsessive music collecting, Brian has also played in a million bands over the years. Currently he's in an outfit called Night Pipe. Name got you curious? Go to their site to hear some Night Pipage. Brian describes their sound as not unlike how Ben Tinker describes his band, though Night Pipe also happens to feature a 60-year-old drummer, who also happens to be hard of hearing.
Til next week! XOK
16 comments:
Awesome, varied mix. Eerie parallels to the mix I sent out a while back.
Golden Palaminos?! Then World Party?!? Two songs I'd long forgotten but cherished in some format or another.
You are a ruler, but your friend needs to keep both hands on his motorbike at all times. A helmet wouldn't hurt either.
Thank you sir!
I am thoroughly enjoying Dungen's "Intro".
Thoroughly enjoying Dead C! Nevah thought i'd see them in this company, you've raised the bar in envelope pushing, chocolate/peanut kudos & pizza combos, yo...
-BT
Hi You Guys -
I'm back from the desert, thank goodness. Thanks for the great feedback. I sincerely hope you get off on these tunes like i do. Oh, the image comes from this guy named Jan Chipchase (google him), international photgrapher extraordinaire, who has a technology focus. Good stuff and food for thought....did anyone notice what's behind our driver's left ear???
Thank you, Brian. But hey - I thought there was an unwritten rule about not including the Beatles or Dunjen on our mixes!
Some random (even for me) thoughts:
Really liked the flow of The Rain Parade, Martin Newell (who deserves to be more famous) and The Byrds. The Books (new to me) sound like Cornelius meets Lemon Jelly, which is a good thing. Psychedelic Horseshit, indeed. Trembling Peacocks – yes. Dan Bejar is the best thing about The New Pornographers’ last album. S.P.Q.R. – really hated it, but tell me more (seriously). Loved the Golden Palominos song. Is this the last time we have to listen to the Grateful Dead? Somebody please tell me (and I mean it – I’m willing to change) why I should care about this band.
Oh, and all hail Karl Wallinger.
Thanks for that last point, Mr. Patterson. Was going to announce it next week but it's true: the 3MPMP has now reached its quota (2) of Dead jams for this particular iteration. However, that leaves wide open the entire Phish oeuvre....
Peeps -
Three minutes, 40 seconds. Starts of the second side of a very popular album. I find it one of the more accessible songs on my mix, out there, but in a good natured pop way. And a precursor to a lot of amazing music (not just of the jam variety, you can hear that, right?)...and what says "Miracle" more than the dead....?
Yours, Aug. 25.
Re: Psychedelic Horseshit. I understand peoples reactions, they're a bit hard to take, but there's a bunch of post post rock action happening here, beyond the boundaries of the lovely new genre "shitgazer". I saw them open for Times New Viking on a Siltbreeze (the label) tour at the doug fir up here. If you have the opportunity, go see them now before they implode. Best live act I've seen in a decade. Fragile, obnoxious, hilarious, highly intelligent, utterly rocking, and quite possibly high.
I heart the Helio Sequence, Psychedelic Horseshit, Black Mountain, Destroyer, my Lemond, and you Emery!
In defense of the Dead: this is not an epic, meandering noodle jam. It's one of the great instances of a discrete pop nugget. China Cat is simply a popalicious song from an excellent studio album of pop songs. To readily dismiss it as all that Dead Head shit seems terribly unfair, don't you think? To each song its due, methinks.
Dude! Life's so, like short. Dismiss now, ask questions later, I say.
Brian, thanks for my favorite comp so far.
Oh, and also thanks for not putting any Kanye on it. That guy is a tool.
James - Thanks for the comment?
Daniel, totally with you there, see my earlier defense of the Dead. Bagging on them in this day and age is basically just showing how old, crotchety and unflexible we're becoming.
Raymond, you are quite the complimentarian. I'm sure I'll be sending something similar back your way in a few weeks.
B
B-
Specifically, I love The Books and the Volebeats tunes.
The Helio Sequence song is great as well.
R
In the event that you ever see this, the Helio Sequence song pops into my brain at all times of the day. I love this mix! Cheers Brian!
Post a Comment