Friday, November 7, 2014

Sex/Death Bonus Mix #1: Sex/Love/Pain

Date
November 7, 2014

Miracler
Lauren Barr

Location
Oakland

Our October Rager provided not just a fantastic opportunity to hang with a bunch of Miraclers while watching the Giants clinch the pennant, but also an incredible compilation haul. After a terrifically wonderful evening, Your Hostess came away with loads of what look to be exquisite mixes, each exploring the broadest/deepest mix theme of all time. 

Here with her take of LOVE AND THE LOSS THEREOF is an always-popular hit maker, Mizz Lauren Barr, she of the Oakland Barrs as well as January 2014's Keep Left, 2012's Get Out of the Car, 2011's Volume Two, and 2009's Is This Thing On (also known as the Bramland Dinner Party Soundtrack Since 2009). LB as usual turns in a masterful collection, and then shuts it down with perhaps the best dudes-lamenting-a-break-up song of all time, by a band that is somehow only debuting here now. Give it up for Sex! And Love! And Pain! And then come back here and tell us what you thought.

Mix is UPTo comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

7 comments:

Mark Ulriksen said...

Lauren, I was the lucky recipient of your mix at the Miracle Mixer in SF in October. Were you there? I've loved this mix since the first time I played it. I'm most smitten with the tracks that start with Sean Hayes and follow til the end. Especially love The Arbiters, Blur and Basehead. Pardon My Heart by Neil is the only song I was familiar with. When I heard the beginning of the Cake tune I immediately heard Good Times, Bad Times by Led Zep. Didn't realize two strums could be so recognizable.

Karl said...

The opening few tracks especially were a ray of tropical sunshine that was desperately needed on a gray November morning in the Midwest. I loved the Amadou et Mariam song, the Neil Young, , the Cake, and the Basehead (which I already knew and loved, but hey - it's nice to hear these things again). Hearing it again led me down a strange path, though, as the songs the protagonist's friend lands on while switching stations on the radio were different than I remembered. I dug up the copy in my itunes library that was ripped from my CD, and sure enough, the two songs on there are Heatwave's "Always and Forever" and Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine". Guess someone lost a lawsuit in subsequent years! Where did this particular version come from?

Wes said...

Hi Lauren, Anita O’Day knocked me out. Curate Poder was even better. Better Daze is amazing. What a great voice. Look at Cake making an appearance. John McCrea singing is amazing. Sean Hayes and Frazey Ford. Wow. I don’t know about the Arbiters, but this is a great track as is the Zoe Muth cut. As is Stoney. Man, this mix gets better and better. The Neil Young cut is perfect. Rest in peace Rick Rosas. What a loss. Blur is awesome. This might be the best song by the Bastards. Such a great band and some old and dear friends. Lauren, you rule.

lauren said...

Thanks for the kind words, prodge-mates!
Mark, I think we may have been introduced at the Mixer. I know I perused your wonderful dog book while I was there.
Karl, that is really strange about the radio songs being different on your Basehead tune. Mine was also ripped from the CD in my library (which I can't locate now, sadly). I think I got it when the CD was released in 1992, but can't be sure.
Aw shucks, thanks Wes. You should check out Frazey Ford's excellent new album "Indian Ocean". I can't get enough of it.
Marcella, I agree and hope that 2015 brings more xylophone to us all!

Beth said...

Great mix, expertly paced and sequenced. Highlights for me are the Zoe Muth tune and the Stoney song -- I love that hushed, wistful tone o (as anyone who listened to my mix can attest). Sex, love and pain -- perfect topics for a song, and for a mix!

Unknown said...

One of my favorite mixes so far. My faves are the Anita O'Day track, Better Daze, Amadou et Mariam and Heartless Bastards. But the whole mix flows great and takes the listener on a very rewarding journey. Well done.

Van B said...

I'll have to echo everyone else: The Anita O'Day opener is wonderful, and the mix just kept getting better and better. It is amazing how those two simple guitar strums = "Good Times, Bad Times." Thanks, Lauren!