Friday, May 22, 2009

Bonus Friday: City Vs. Country (A get outta town—or not—mixette)

Date:
Friday, May 22,
2009

Miracler:
Kelly Niland

Location:
San Francisco

Happy Memorial Weekend, Miraclers
I've made you a little 11-track mix centered around the age-old urban/pastoral question of: Where to spend the holiday weekend? Thanks to Arthur Baker for throwing down this musical challenge years ago. I hope I've done it justice.

Mix is here. Enjoy your vay/staycation and drive/fly/sit safely,
XOK

5 comments:

Sam Koritz said...

Great mini-mix. Keeping all the songs, which is rare. I particularly like the Ryan Adams, Persephone's Bees & Quincy Jones.

kelly niland said...

Why thank you, sir. Coming from you, with your x-quisite taste, that's an XL compliment. XOK

Marcus said...

Hey Kelly I really dug the City/Country mix. Especially the previously mentioned Q Jones, one of very favorite Bobby Zimmerman tunes and you know my fondness for Ivy. We listened to it as we left the city for the country on Saturday. A sweet road trip sound track which is as you planned I'm sure.
mc

Doug said...

Yeah, that Quincy Jones cover of "Summer in the City" is the bomb. I think I have it on some chill-out compilation I used to play for dinner parties. (I wish I could say that it reminds me of the sun rising over Ibiza, but it mainly reminds me of short ribs served over mashed celery root.) Thanks, Kelly, for a really nice mix. And I forgive you for the Jonathan Richman inclusion, even if he IS our country's greatest retarded singer-songwriter.

kelly niland said...

Yes, JR is indeed an acquired taste, which I realize some are disinclined to acquire. But what I REALLY am surprised by is how no one's busted me yet for shoving Rod Stewart into everyone's earphones all the time! Maybe that is one taste that goes down more easily.

Doug, I probably should credit you for that QJ song, as I have a (strong) feeling I got that from you when you were helping me compile some loungey stuff for my sister. So kudos to YOU, sir.

And to Marcus and to Sam and to all you quiet appreciators of this (amazing) mix.
XOK